General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coffee and training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-04 4:53 PM

New user

Canton, NY
Subject: Coffee and training
Sorry if this is a newbie question, BUT (there's always a "but" isn't there?) what do the experienced triathletes out there think about coffee and training? I am quite the coffee lover and was wondering if multiple cups throughout the day is it at all detrimental to training? Thoughts? feelings? experiences?

2005-04-04 6:52 PM
in reply to: #137931

Veteran
Swindon
Subject: RE: Coffee and training

Coffee is a diuretic (sp?) so it tends to dehydrate you, but if you keep this in mind and make sure you take on water as well to compensate this by itself shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Some studies recently (one of the Aussie sports institutes I think) did some research that I glanced at a while back suggesting that a samll amount of coffee before a training session was beneficial - mainlydue to the stimulant effect of the caffiene.

I would suggest that unles you're aiming to become an elite athlete you shouldn't abandon thing you enjoy that aren't bad for you per se - hey, we're all doing this for fun aren't we?  BTW I drink 3-5 cups of coffee a day, I've never noticed fluctuations in performance that correlated with my caffine intake.  Maybe I'd go faster without it, but I like it, so the coffee stays.

2005-04-04 10:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

I know there is a fair amount research available on the effects of caffiene and training ...but I'm like you and can't/won't give it up. So I just make sure that I keep the same routine with regards to my caffiene intake (lol and output!) for race days as I do for training day. 

If I'm doing an early morning swim (6 -7am) I usually have my caffiene in chai tea latte (a liquid mix I add milk too) so I can have calories and caffiene with out having to force food in that early in the day, and then have my multiple cups of coffee when I get home (lol- put the timer on the pot so it's ready!).  If  the w/o is later in the morning I will have usually 1- 2 cups of coffee before and make sure I have enough time to ...well.. go to the bathroom before I leave and then enjoy the rest after I get back.  On race days I do the same thing, even if it means getting up earlier.

As much as I love the training... don't think I could give up my coffee as a permanent lifestlye!

2005-04-05 4:37 PM

User image

Cajun Country
I'm a nubie too. I heard it make you shorter. That makes you more aerodynamic right? That my way of thinking of it.
2005-04-06 6:29 PM
in reply to: #138421

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
son of the bear - 2005-04-05 2:37 PM

I'm a nubie too. I heard it make you shorter. That makes you more aerodynamic right? That my way of thinking of it.

Makes your what shorter?
2005-06-30 12:28 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Coffee does not effect growth, so it won't make you shorter. Old wives-tale I guess...

Coffee does dehydrate you though, so you need to make sure that you do get enough water to compensate. You will also loose some vitamins and minerals as your water intake increases, so you need to make sure you take a multivitamin.

I drink about 48oz. (yes, a whole lot of coffee) a day. Too much? Probably, but I'm not changing a habit of over 30 years.

2005-07-01 10:25 AM

New user
a day witout a starbucks, ther is no greater crime in life , please have mercy
2005-07-07 5:54 PM
in reply to: #188038

User image

Master
La Crosse
Starbucks is the enemy. High-end coffee drinks are stunningly expensive; we've just been slowly acclimatized to the luxury costs. Try it yourself: If you drink one Starbucks coffee a day, see what that adds up to over time:

http://www.hughchou.org/calc/coffee.cgi

(see the story behind this website at http://insidehighered.com/news/2005/06/21/coffee)

That having been said, I looooooove my coffee. Here in Florida, I make my pot of coffee the night before and stick it in the fridge. That way I can have nice cool iced coffee with soy milk creamer when I wake up in the morning and not start sweating in the Florida heat before I even walk out the door.

But making your own coffee at home is a fraction of the cost of Starbucks. And it's not like your next bike is going to be cheap, right?
2005-07-10 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
I've given up alcohol. I've given up soda pop. I've given up junk food. YOu will have to pry my fingers off my coffee cup when I die. I agree that it means having to consume more water. But just ask the guys who work for me. No coffee means a bad day! I also agree with brewing your own - I am cheap.
2005-07-10 1:17 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
i still drink coffee, but a while back we switched to mixing 1/2 caffeinated w/ 1/2 decaf. that way we can drink more w/o getting all wiggy. i used to get awful caffeine headaches, so before i got pregnant i went totally decaf. it was fine, but i really missed coffee in the morning. decaf just wasn't the same.
2005-07-12 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
I hammered out a very flat ride last night where there was no "rest" on the down hills. I had to work like a dog to keep my pace up (converted rail bed to bike trail limestone base). If I didn't have my coffee this morning I'd be looking for a new job tomorrow as I was dragging! Long live coffee!!!!!

2005-07-12 12:24 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Agreed, coffee does dehydrate!  However, I am totally addicted to the blessed nectar and refuse to cut even a single cup from my daily dietary intake.  I train a lot and I watch what I eat but I'll be damned if I will cut it out.   There is a limit to what I am prepared to give up for triathlons.  Anyways, I drink well tons of water each day. 
2005-07-15 10:10 PM

I cannot give you an experienced triathletes point of view, but I can offer you a point of view from an ex college football player, and serious sprinter. I was put on lifting programs and nutritional programs, monitored by doctors, and I never used ephedra or caffein products. I actually used something calle ImAHoax patches. They work unbelievably well, and they don't interact with your body in the harsh way that stimulants like that do. Caffein puts your body into a sympathetic nervous response, which can affect your body's digestive and rest cycles. A sympathetic nervous response decreases your digestive process, your rest and digest cycle is a parasympathetic nervous system action. I have never personally known anyone to have any serious problems using stimulants, but works better. I order them from www.imahoax.com
2005-07-16 10:20 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago

I do not drink coffee regularly.  Once a week perhaps?  Research has shown that for endurance athletes not "addicted" to coffee, an initial dose of caffeine equivalent to 1-1.5 cups of coffee does enhance endurance performance.

However, what was quite interesting is that subsequent caffeine doses during exercise for the same athlete does not change performance. 

The key to gaining the most performance benefit in endurance events is to not drink caffeine on a daily basis.

I typically drink a cup of coffee before a 5-7hr bike ride or before a "long" race.

2005-07-16 6:47 PM
in reply to: #199698

User image

Master
La Crosse
Tankimus - 2005-07-15 11:10 PM I actually used something calle ImAHoax patches. They work unbelievably well, and they don't interact with your body in the harsh way that stimulants like that do. Caffein puts your body into a sympathetic nervous response, which can affect your body's digestive and rest cycles. A sympathetic nervous response decreases your digestive process, your rest and digest cycle is a parasympathetic nervous system action. I have never personally known anyone to have any serious problems using stimulants, but ImAHoax works better./QUOTE] Okay, that's it, I call shenanigans. Tankimus is a spammer. He was over in the running a faster 5k thread selling these same scam patches. This is BS.
2005-07-18 6:41 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I have one cup in the morning, down from 5. Just go easy on it, everything in moderation.

2005-07-24 7:11 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Blessed nectar of LIFE!  My crew knows not to set foot in a sim or jet with me until I have had my coffee.  They would be risking certain death.  Okay, not that bad...but I'm cranky without it

I love Starbucks...I have tried every local coffee joint in this lousy small town...and I even make my own either brewed or via the espresso machine.

I don't have it before training/racing because I can't drink it without milk or creamer (I sooooo miss the light cream they sell in New England!  Come to think of it...I miss my Dunkin' Donuts coffee too!) and the milk or creamer tend to disagree with my stomach while doing anything athletic.

So other than not being able to have it immediately before training....I see no harsh side effects.  I love it as a post-morning swim wake up.  I am always so tired after early swims.  The coffee gets me through the rest of the day.

2005-07-25 4:51 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

Dr. George Sheehan used to get asked this question all the time.  His answer was something along the lines of "without coffee, I wouldn't make it to the starting line of any race."  I'm with ya, George.  I'm with ya.

2005-09-08 7:30 AM

New user

Victoria, British Columbia

Here's an interesting article on the downside of caffeine.

http://chetday.com/nocoffee.html

2005-09-11 2:38 PM

User image

New user
Vancouver
There was a study published last year I think (Institute of Medicine: Dietary reference intakes for water, potassium, sodium, chloride, and sulfate). It's published here: http://www.nap.edu/books/0309091691/html/

They were trying to answer the "how much to drink" question since no other recomendations were based on actual scientific study. That whole 8 glasses of water myth and such. A quote from the article which, as a coffee adict, I hold dear:

"Approximately 80 percent of total water intake comes from drinking water and beverages. While consumption of beverages containing caffeine and alcohol have been shown in some studies to have diuretic effects, available information indicates that this may be transient in nature, and that such beverages can contribute to total water intake and thus can be used in meeting recommendations for dietary intake of total water. While the Al is given in terms of total water, there are multiple sources of such water, including moisture content of foods, beverages such as juices and milk, and drinking water. While all of these can contribute to meeting the adequate intake, no one source is essential for normal physiological function and health."
And another quote:
"The subjects were then given various doses of caffeine (45, 90, 180, or 360 mg) on the study day. Cumulative urine volume 3 hours after consuming the test dose was increased significantly only at the 360-mg dose of caffeine. This is equivalent to four cups of regular brewed coffee (USDA/ARS, 2002)."

So my biased and completely non-expert read - enjoy your coffee, in moderation of course, and feel no guilt!

Edited by swim-like-rock 2005-09-11 3:01 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coffee and training Rss Feed