Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-07-30 6:56 AM
in reply to: #2311747

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Paleo Diet for Athletes - review
yosly - 2009-07-27 11:51 PM Sorry if this question has been asked before or answered already by what you've posted, but is quinoa allowed at any stage during the diet?

Heh... that was my first question when I read the book. It's listed under "foods to avoid" for the traditional Paleo Diet, but in the athlete's version it would be one of the foods that are allowed for recovery in that post-exercise window.

2009-08-01 12:53 AM
in reply to: #2089847

User image

New user

I'm very interested in this method. I recently read an article in Runners world or Outside magazine I can't remember which about Friel's book. For those that have had success for an extended period can I ask how beer fits into the mix? I have to admit to enjoying more than a few and I'm wondering if you don't drink at all or just a few or do you occassionaly go "full throttle"

2009-08-01 5:53 AM
in reply to: #2321009

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

meltnfrets - 2009-08-01 12:53 AM I'm very interested in this method. I recently read an article in Runners world or Outside magazine I can't remember which about Friel's book. For those that have had success for an extended period can I ask how beer fits into the mix? I have to admit to enjoying more than a few and I'm wondering if you don't drink at all or just a few or do you occassionaly go "full throttle"

My view on this is simple.  This isn't a short term fad diet.  This diet is a lifestyle that should stay with you throughout the rest of your life.  In order for that to happen, it needs to fit into your life in such a way to be effective, but non obtrusive as well.  If you really enjoy beer, then have beer.  I would limit it when possible, but when you drink it, enjoy and don't feel any guilt!

My wife and I have been very disciplined w/ the paleo style of eating, but we definitely still enjoy our Gin and Tonics and Scotch!

2009-08-01 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2321055

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California
AndrewMT - 2009-08-01 3:53 AM

My view on this is simple.  This isn't a short term fad diet.  This diet is a lifestyle that should stay with you throughout the rest of your life.  In order for that to happen, it needs to fit into your life in such a way to be effective, but non obtrusive as well.  If you really enjoy beer, then have beer.  I would limit it when possible, but when you drink it, enjoy and don't feel any guilt!

My wife and I have been very disciplined w/ the paleo style of eating, but we definitely still enjoy our Gin and Tonics and Scotch!

For the No Sugar Challenge last December in gave up anything with sugar (or fake sugar) as one of the first three ingredients, which basically eliminated most processed foods.  At the end of the challenge on February 28 I found that I managed to survive and didn't even miss it all, so other than good quality cereal, I really haven't gone back to eating processed foods.  I lost a little weight with that, but not much.  The last month or so I have been trying to follow The Zone, because I really want to drop body fat much more than pure "weight."  I am reasonably close to my weight goal.  My problem with The Zone is that it is really hard to always keep the meals balanced. 

I am very interested in Paleo because it seems to incorporate the good parts of The Zone without having to worry about 40/30/30.  I already eat tons of vegetables and fruits and very little "bad" carbohydrates, so neither the Zone or Paleo is any big stretch for me.  It seems to me that as long as you stay away from processed foods (which might mean having to give up my very easy breakfast of cereal with yogurt) and have some protein and good fats with every meal, you are achieving more or less both eating programs. 

My concern is that I understand that there is no dairy on Paleo, which might be a problem.  Most of my dairy is yogurt on my breakfast cereal and small amounts of cheese in cooking (a lot of the Zone recipes use cheese).  While I do take a calcium supplement, since I am 53 I do worry about osteoporosis and am a little uncomfortable about the idea of completely giving up dairy.  Perhaps if I actually read the Paleo books I would get the answer, but maybe someone has some experience with this.

I completely agree about no fad diets.  I do not want a diet, I want a nutrition program that achieves all of my goals - maintaining a healthful weight, giving me the energy to train, preventing the preventable health risks, etc. 

Thanks.
2009-08-01 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2321206

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

LeahDD - 2009-08-01 10:04 AM

My concern is that I understand that there is no dairy on Paleo, which might be a problem.  Most of my dairy is yogurt on my breakfast cereal and small amounts of cheese in cooking (a lot of the Zone recipes use cheese).  While I do take a calcium supplement, since I am 53 I do worry about osteoporosis and am a little uncomfortable about the idea of completely giving up dairy.  Perhaps if I actually read the Paleo books I would get the answer, but maybe someone has some experience with this.

I highly suggest you read the book on this.  The dairy is doing more harm than good, and if you need the calcium, you're looking for it in the wrong place. A few points on this:

-fruits and vegetables slow or prevent osteoperosis

-diets high in dairy and cheeses actually promote calcium loss in the long run

-calcium balance is the key: more in than out.  With high dairy, your intake goes up but the excretion goes up even more.

-Fruits and vegetables reduce the pH level of your blood, increasing your calcium retention

-Cereals, grains and dairy increase the pH level, increasing your calcium loss

To sum all this up, eating dairy is counterproductive if you're trying to increase your calcium retention.  Cut out the cereal and yogurt, and have ground turkey w/ fruit instead!

2009-08-01 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2321293

User image

Champion
AndrewMT - 2009-08-01 11:27 AM

LeahDD - 2009-08-01 10:04 AM

I highly suggest you read the book on this.  The dairy is doing more harm than good, and if you need the calcium, you're looking for it in the wrong place. A few points on this:

-fruits and vegetables slow or prevent osteoperosis

-diets high in dairy and cheeses actually promote calcium loss in the long run

-calcium balance is the key: more in than out.  With high dairy, your intake goes up but the excretion goes up even more.

-Fruits and vegetables reduce the pH level of your blood, increasing your calcium retention

-Cereals, grains and dairy increase the pH level, increasing your calcium loss

To sum all this up, eating dairy is counterproductive if you're trying to increase your calcium retention.  Cut out the cereal and yogurt, and have ground turkey w/ fruit instead!

Nonsense.  None of that is supported by the literature out there, and most of it is pseudo-scientific at best.

Nothing personal.  You're just being fooled by those who promote it.

2009-08-01 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2321301

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

DerekL - 2009-08-01 11:34 AM

Nonsense.  None of that is supported by the literature out there, and most of it is pseudo-scientific BS.

Very possible.  They post their research literature, but I'll admit that I haven't looked any of it up. 

I do think there are other benefits that go along with reducing dairy, beyond the acid/calcium balance.  However, it is true that a diet with an appropriate amount of vegetables will be heavy in calcium and other minerals.  The reliance on dairy in order to get that one mineral seems shortsighted when you consider that there are much better sources.

As for the image of dairy as healthy: "Nothing personal.  You're just being fooled by those who promote it."

2009-08-01 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2321306

User image

Champion
AndrewMT - 2009-08-01 11:43 AM

Nonsense.  None of that is supported by the literature out there, and most of it is pseudo-scientific BS.

Very possible.  They post their research literature, but I'll admit that I haven't looked any of it up. 

I do think there are other benefits that go along with reducing dairy, beyond the acid/calcium balance.  However, it is true that a diet with an appropriate amount of vegetables will be heavy in calcium and other minerals.  The reliance on dairy in order to get that one mineral seems shortsighted when you consider that there are much better sources.

As for the image of dairy as healthy: "Nothing personal.  You're just being fooled by those who promote it."

I'll just repeat what I say when the topic comes up.  I'm not promoting dairy.  I don't care one way or the other what you choose to consume.  I'm just against bad information.  A lot of the demonization I see going on just isn't supported by anything other than elaborate theories and conjecture. 

I think you can consume dairy and be perfectly healthy.  I think you can not consume dairy and be perfectly healthy.
2009-08-01 12:42 PM
in reply to: #2321349

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

DerekL - 2009-08-01 12:21 PM
AndrewMT - 2009-08-01 11:43 AM

I'll just repeat what I say when the topic comes up.  I'm not promoting dairy.  I don't care one way or the other what you choose to consume.  I'm just against bad information.  A lot of the demonization I see going on just isn't supported by anything other than elaborate theories and conjecture. 

I think you can consume dairy and be perfectly healthy.  I think you can not consume dairy and be perfectly healthy.

I agree with you.  Which is why, in this case, I felt that "the need for dairy/cheese for calcium argument" was bad information.  I can see where you would see this as replacing bad information with (in your opinion) bad information, but the question was in reference to calcium loss and the paleo diet, so that was the framework in which I made my response. 

I'm not a fan of being a slave to specific diets or any diets with "rules."  Just eat healthy.  Problem is, it's tough to find good information on dieting, and a lot of the current wide spread beliefs about diet are way off the mark. 

2009-08-01 10:02 PM
in reply to: #2313128

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
energy7OMgirl - 2009-07-28 1:41 PM What is said is: "I believe that our bodies will tell us by the level of health, wellness, and body composition. Anyway, there are some credible researchers that are working on this angle, not just one type of eating....."All one has to do it to look at the population and the lifestyle diseases that are rampant. Ornish has great success in treating heart disease with high carbs, low fat- this has been shown. People with diabetes do best on a higher protein, low carb diet. Maybe- just maybe there might be something to this research! I am curious to know if these people ate this way before disease, would they still have disease? Granted, there are many variables, but this is why we inquire.I am willing to keep an open mind and to continue to study, I make no claims to know all. If we had all the answers, then we would stop the studies & inquiry....and the World would be disease free and happy. Anyway, dialogue is good--differing opinions are OK. ps.... I'm not shocked at all. ;~)CHEERS!
really? mmmm I must be reading the wrong research. Have you read the official guidelines from the american diabetic association by any chance?

PS: my dad is diabetic and I currently coach one athlete also diabetic. Both consume carbs and protein, the secret is: balancing when to it, how much to it and what food sources you choose to get it. (i.e. lean meat, managing glycemic balance (load + index).

Humans have been consuming carbs for hundres/ thousands years (not talking about processed foods), hence the paleo diet makes no sense to me particularly for endurance atheletes. Sure I agree with some things suggested by it but IMO a well balanced diet is key, nothing more nothing else. A good example is the Japanese people and the their traditional diet which is among the nations with the highest life expectancy
2009-08-01 10:42 PM
in reply to: #2321893

Veteran
JorgeM, et al---What I am talking about is called biochemical individuality. Let me give you an example; the ability for a human to properly digest cow's milk is actually an adaptation. Being "lactose intolerant" is not a medical condition-- it is a natural state based on regional foods a genetic population eats over 1,000's if not 10,000's of years. Paleo is based on regional traits/native diets. I don't think it would work for everyone, but it works wonders for some. Paleo for athletes addresses higher carbohydrate needs. Take the China Study- which is quite compelling. The study, albeit highly credible, has one flaw: it is relevant to the population of the region. Again, it won't work for everyone. Rarely (if at all) would we see diabetes in native populations eating native diets--the diets of their great ancestors. As for governmental agencies and their info on food.......and modern eating practices......... "I believe that our bodies will tell us by the level of health, wellness, and body composition."

Edited by energy7OMgirl 2009-08-01 10:43 PM

2009-08-02 7:19 AM
in reply to: #2321932

User image

Champion
energy7OMgirl - 2009-08-01 10:42 PMJorgeM, et al---What I am talking about is called biochemical individuality. Let me give you an example; the ability for a human to properly digest cow's milk is actually an adaptation. Being "lactose intolerant" is not a medical condition-- it is a natural state based on regional foods a genetic population eats over 1,000's if not 10,000's of years. Paleo is based on regional traits/native diets. I don't think it would work for everyone, but it works wonders for some. Paleo for athletes addresses higher carbohydrate needs. Take the China Study- which is quite compelling. The study, albeit highly credible, has one flaw: it is relevant to the population of the region. Again, it won't work for everyone. Rarely (if at all) would we see diabetes in native populations eating native diets--the diets of their great ancestors. As for governmental agencies and their info on food.......and modern eating practices......... "I believe that our bodies will tell us by the level of health, wellness, and body composition."

So lactose intolerance is based on regional foods and regional populations? And how does that explain how some people within the same population are and aren't lactose intolerant? And extrapolating variations in a one digestive enzyme to diabetes and other systemic medical and metabolic issues is a huge stretch.  There is no such thing as "biochemical individuality".  If there were, there wouldn't be textbooks with well defined and tested metabolic pathways. Alterations of this are pathology.

And The China Study isn't a study.  It is a book that is a compilation of one particular author's hand-picked studies and his own interpretation of them.  Calling it credible doesn't make it so. In fact, there is a very compelling rebuttal of many of his main points out there on the internet.  The author responded to them by attacking the guy who wrote it rather than having an actual rebuttal of his own.

We're way into the "I'm unique and what works for me is different than you" mindset.  Lots of slick sounding theories and placebo effect.  When all of that is looked at, there's little objective evidence of any of it being true.  Eat less, exercise more, fuel your body for whatever exercise you do, eat your veggies.  If you're gaining weight unintentionally, you're eating too much.  If you're losing weight unintentionally, you're eating too little.  It's not rocket surgery.
2009-08-02 2:37 PM
in reply to: #2322058

Veteran
Planes, trains, and automobiles- and breeding. Adaptation, natural selection..... etc.

Genetic make up has been known to influence pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics-- but not food? I guess we know all there is to metabolism, hormones, and the orgins/cures for diseases.

How about this term instead: nutrigenomics? Totally bogus too?

Ah heck- I'm going to go run instead of sitting here, it's better for my health. That is a scientific fact too!  ;~)

Anyway, the intent of this post was for this guy to share his positive results with the Paleo diet. I want to support his experiences, and I am truly glad for him. He is leaner and feeling better- that is good.

Edited by energy7OMgirl 2009-08-02 2:43 PM
2009-08-04 12:36 PM

User image

Here's a great site for recipes:

paleofood.com

I have been moving over to the paleo-diet over the past month by giving up dairy first and will remove grains as I eat the ones out of the pantry.  One thing that has been an added bonus is the amount of flatulence that I spew has been much less since giving up dairy. 

2009-08-10 7:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
DC Metro area
would love to follow this diet but I just can't give up cheese and pasta...
2009-08-13 4:00 PM

User image

Expert
I just got the book and will read over the next week or so.  I have been doing Atkins for the last year and a half and as I continue to get closer to my goal I am also adding good carbs back in.  In reading the rundown of the diet it looks like Atkins Maintenance Rung sans the dairy.  The only other difference I see is an increase in good carbs before, during and immediatly after workouts.  Very excited about that as it will be an easy transition other than I don't know if I can give up cheese or yogurt. hmmm...

2009-08-18 9:15 AM

Cavemen did drink coffee with Splenda and soy lattes, right?

I'm thinking about giving this diet a try, esp. because right now I'm 100% sedentary for a few more weeks due to knee surgery. If there's a time to give up my usual carbs, then this is it.

My biggest problem is that I'm not sure I can give up my evening protein shake made w/ milk. Hmmmmm.

2009-10-16 11:56 PM

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona
2009-10-19 8:59 PM

User image

Regular
I googled it a while back before I saw this thread, and as soon as I realized I couldn't have my dairy and legumes, I said "forget it." 

I am just trying to eat good food and get enough fruits/veggies/protein in each day.  I kind of hate meat, but make myself eat it for protein/iron.

jami
2009-10-22 10:10 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I'm doing something similar but slightly different... as it includes dairy if you want but no beans..Primal.

I found when I did Paleo in the past I had a hard time sticking to it. This I find easier and I'm in control as I'm not hungry much with more protein and fat.
2009-10-25 5:40 PM
in reply to: #2313128

energy7OMgirl - 2009-07-28 2:41 PM

What is said is: "I believe that our bodies will tell us by the level of health, wellness, and body composition.

It's so true. I have been trying the Paleo diet for 3 weeks now, and I feel awful. I have little energy, and feel fat and bloated all of the time. I write down what I eat daily and am keeping track on an online food diary so I know it's not a lack of balance of macro nutrients or too many calories. I work out 5-6 days/week and train about 8-9 hrs/week.

I did so well on a high carb moderate fat, moderate protein diet this summer. anywhere from 50-70% carbs, 10-30% fat 20-30% protein. Depending on the day. I had tons of energy, and was the leanest I've been since my gymnastics days! I lost a whole pant size. now granted I'm small to begin with (5'4" started at 130 lbs and gaining) I'm now 120 lbs. But I felt great, was running much faster and placed in my first triathlon!! I originally started doing triathlons so I could stop stressing about every calorie I ate. It was nice to be able to have a bagel before or after a workout and not worry if my pants would be too tight. My weight hasn't really changed much but I just feel awful. Not to mention the psychological aspect of not being able to eat so many of the foods I enjoy.

With this new diet, I look like crap, feel like crap and it just doesn't seem to be working for me.. The one major thing I took away from this diet was to get more fruits and vegetables in my diet, and to make sure I had a good balance of Omega 3's and micronutrients.

When I didn't see any benefits from this diet, I began doing some research. I looked up the diet on Kenyan runners. I know that triathletes are not runners, we're a bit different. But the Kenyan's have a diet that is based on corn flour. They do eat lots of fruits and vegetables, and lean meat but they also have dairy and sugar in their diet. Now, Kenyans are considered the authority on running. They seem to do pretty darn well on their diet.

When you look at Asian cultures, specifically the Japanese who have a long life span, the base of their diet is rice and lean fish.

I personally do really well with dairy specifically skim milk. It's what I miss most...

That's just my 2-cents worth.

2009-10-28 4:19 PM

CO
WOW - I had no idea when I created the original post and my review that it would create such a great discussion! I've received a few PM's from people lately asking about my progress and if I'm still Paleo so I thought I'd post an update.

I still eat 95% Paleo and have never felt better. It's been about 10 months now and I can't imagine going back to how I used to eat. My weight has stayed between 160-165lbs and had my bf tested recently and it came back at 7%. (by the way, I had a picture on my profile but not sure what happened to it? I'll try to find a before and after set for visual depiction of the changes) More importantly though, my athletic performance has continued to improve and my overall health is outstanding.

As you can see from the variety of posts in the thread, I stand by my statement that it is a relatively fringe and polarizing nutrition plan. And like I said, it's not for everyone and many people don't want to give up cottage cheese, peanut butter, pasta....etc. And that's fine. But I can tell you from someone that has always been in pretty good shape and an athlete my entire life, switching to this plan has been life-changing. There will always be nay-sayers and expect a lot of people to laugh at you or tell you that grains and dairy are the staple of a triathletes diet.

I got a PM asking for pros/cons and any advice to stick with the plan so here you go:

Pros - big jump in performance, increased energy, lower cholesterol, decreased soreness and joint pain after long training sessions, body composition, overall "clean" feeling all the time, no GI issues at all

Cons - expensive (but I actually spend about the same since I cook almost everything and don't eat out that much anymore), tough couple weeks as your body detoxes, hard to eat on the go, peer pressure from friends who just don't get it , relatively limited food selection

Tips: go in with an open mind and give it 4 weeks and see how you feel before deciding whether or not to continue, make sure and consume high glycemic drinks/foods during and after training sessions, allow yourself to eat whatever you want a couple meals per week!

All the best and feel free to PM me any time with questions
2009-10-30 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2485017

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona

CORocks - 2009-10-28 2:19 PM WOW - I had no idea when I created the original post and my review that it would create such a great discussion! I've received a few PM's from people lately asking about my progress and if I'm still Paleo so I thought I'd post an update. I still eat 95% Paleo and have never felt better. It's been about 10 months now and I can't imagine going back to how I used to eat. My weight has stayed between 160-165lbs and had my bf tested recently and it came back at 7%. (by the way, I had a picture on my profile but not sure what happened to it? I'll try to find a before and after set for visual depiction of the changes) More importantly though, my athletic performance has continued to improve and my overall health is outstanding. As you can see from the variety of posts in the thread, I stand by my statement that it is a relatively fringe and polarizing nutrition plan. And like I said, it's not for everyone and many people don't want to give up cottage cheese, peanut butter, pasta....etc. And that's fine. But I can tell you from someone that has always been in pretty good shape and an athlete my entire life, switching to this plan has been life-changing. There will always be nay-sayers and expect a lot of people to laugh at you or tell you that grains and dairy are the staple of a triathletes diet. I got a PM asking for pros/cons and any advice to stick with the plan so here you go: Pros - big jump in performance, increased energy, lower cholesterol, decreased soreness and joint pain after long training sessions, body composition, overall "clean" feeling all the time, no GI issues at all Cons - expensive (but I actually spend about the same since I cook almost everything and don't eat out that much anymore), tough couple weeks as your body detoxes, hard to eat on the go, peer pressure from friends who just don't get it , relatively limited food selection Tips: go in with an open mind and give it 4 weeks and see how you feel before deciding whether or not to continue, make sure and consume high glycemic drinks/foods during and after training sessions, allow yourself to eat whatever you want a couple meals per week! All the best and feel free to PM me any time with questions

Thanks for the update. If you find those pictures, please post them. I'm getting ready to start this as I switch my focus from triathlon to a marathon.

2009-10-31 9:07 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm starting tomorrow with a 4 week give-it-my-best-shot trial. I'm in marathon training for fall/winter so my volume is a lot lower than the rest of the year with only 1 long workout per week so doing the "Stage" adaptations will hopefully be simple since it's just once a week. I don't really need to lose any weight, but the 27% bodyfat needs to go and I've felt better a few pounds lighter. I really want to give this a fair try. It sounds like the first week or so can be a little rough, but it gets better. Maybe knowing that I can be prepared.
My husband, in our brief discussions about it, thinks I've really gone off the deep end (no bread!) and I haven't even started. Of course, he thought the same thing when I started running and we're doing RnR Arizona together in January Kiss
2009-11-25 4:05 PM

User image

Expert
England
I read the book cover to cover and so much of it makes sense.

I was eating low GI before but without making any conscious decision, I have since massively reduced my dairy intake and have adopted a general 'anti-processed' food approach. I'm not fully Paleo though as I am still eating cereals and a few other bits, but am generally folowing the principles, with more lean protein, veg and fruit, and its working well. No lack of energy, in fact quite the opposite, and my weight is coming down gradually.

I dont expect to get fully Paleo but do like the way things are going so far.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paleo Diet for Athletes - review Rss Feed  

of 10