General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paleo Diet for Athletes - review Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-12-02 10:47 PM
in reply to: #2089847

User image

Subject: RE: Paleo Diet for Athletes - review
I'm on day five of the diet, I haven't read the book but have been studying the internet like crazy for paleo information.  I'm happy to say that this is the best I've felt in a long time.  I do have a question about corn tortillas.  I was at the fruit market today and they sell corn tortillas - the ingredients mark the corn tortillas as being made from corn and lemon juice. 

Are corn tortillas paleo?

Any thoughts? 

This would open up a whole bunch of possiblities for my menu choices.

Thanks.

2009-12-04 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2540786

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
jamesj7373 - 2009-12-02 11:47 PM

I'm on day five of the diet, I haven't read the book but have been studying the internet like crazy for paleo information.  I'm happy to say that this is the best I've felt in a long time.  I do have a question about corn tortillas.  I was at the fruit market today and they sell corn tortillas - the ingredients mark the corn tortillas as being made from corn and lemon juice. 

Any thoughts? 

Thanks.

Im no expert as I just started reading this book, but I imagine it would depend on the ingrediants. If its just mashed corn mixed with water and pressed that would be ok? But if it has additives, then not ok?

Along this same line, could those of you practicing the Paleo (however close) share examples of your daily meals? (less the pre/during/post exercise windows) or any yummy recipies you may have.
2009-12-05 4:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville KY
Bought the book last night, wish me luck!
2009-12-05 10:36 PM

User image

I just found this at:http://altmed.creighton.edu/Paleodiet/Foodlist.html

Foods you should avoid: Corn (corn on the cob, corn tortillas, corn chips, corn starch, corn syrup).

It's all good otherwise.
2009-12-06 11:10 PM
in reply to: #2540786

User image

Champion
MA
jamesj7373 - 2009-12-02 11:47 PM I'm on day five of the diet, I haven't read the book but have been studying the internet like crazy for paleo information.  I'm happy to say that this is the best I've felt in a long time.  I do have a question about corn tortillas.  I was at the fruit market today and they sell corn tortillas - the ingredients mark the corn tortillas as being made from corn and lemon juice. 

Any thoughts? 

Thanks.

Corn is not paleo
2009-12-07 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran
I just bought the book this weekend and did all the grocery shopping on Sunday.  I spent a lot more than I usually would on food, but I probably went a little overboard since it's my first go-round.  I'm ready to go 100% on the diet, but my main concern right now is that I have a half marathon this Saturday, and if I drastically change my diet 5 days before an event, I may have really bad results.  What would you all recommend?  I'm thinking I just should continue to eat grains and bread this week so I'm okay Saturday, and then after that I'll be good to go.

2009-12-07 10:10 AM

User image

Expert
England
I think all conventional wisdom would dictate you stay on your original nutrition plan up to the event. I cant see any benefit on changing a few days before...
2009-12-07 11:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
There would be no benefit changing 5 days before the event. It would actually be detrimental if anything. Keep doing what you've been doing through your race and then give it a shot!
2009-12-07 11:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Yeah I wasn't expecting any benefit, I just wanted to be sure to avoid the downside since everyone has mentioned that the first two weeks are rough.
2009-12-11 2:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Ok, I'm a little worried now.
I did 5 weeks of pretty faithful Paleo and then stopped a week ago. I had decided that I had given it a "fair" shot, but since I actually ended up gaining weight (only about 1 lb, but so not muscle) it was not going to work for me. Now I wonder if I do actually have some sort of food allergy. While Paleo, my sinuses, which have been clogged and drippy my entire life, miraculously cleared up and my face too. In the past week I've broken out almost the worst in my life, slept awfully, feel awful and my sinuses were so bad I couldn't hardly sleep last night.
So, coincidence or allergy? I have insurance, but getting tested sounds expensive and really, I made it this long without any diagnosis.
Anyone else give up on Paleo and have bad things like this happen?
2009-12-11 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2554752

User image

Queen BTich
InnerAthlete - 2009-12-11 11:33 PM Ok, I'm a little worried now.
I did 5 weeks of pretty faithful Paleo and then stopped a week ago. I had decided that I had given it a "fair" shot, but since I actually ended up gaining weight (only about 1 lb, but so not muscle) it was not going to work for me. Now I wonder if I do actually have some sort of food allergy. While Paleo, my sinuses, which have been clogged and drippy my entire life, miraculously cleared up and my face too. In the past week I've broken out almost the worst in my life, slept awfully, feel awful and my sinuses were so bad I couldn't hardly sleep last night.
So, coincidence or allergy? I have insurance, but getting tested sounds expensive and really, I made it this long without any diagnosis.
Anyone else give up on Paleo and have bad things like this happen?

It's not always about losing weight as it is feeling and being healthier. Processed foods aren't good for anyone.

If you're worried, get tested. Could be minor allergy or it could be in your head. Bodies have responses to insulin spikes that you don't realize until you give up the bad foods, which could be causing your "feeling awful" and bad sleep.

2009-12-11 9:28 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Going with Paleo like diet has helped me in many ways. My mind is clearer and I feel so much better all around. I have been eating Paleo like for 7 years but am on 2.5 months of being much more strict. Interesting my husband has been doing it for the first time for about 2 months, he has dropped weight, feels better than he has in years, and has had some on going issues improve health wise. It is crystal clear it is so much better for him.

For those of you starting out first 3-4 weeks are tough.  I went with just Paleo to start not the athlete model as my excercising while frequent at times was short. I think doing strict Paleo to start is easier than adding in the athlete aspect.

2009-12-19 1:01 AM

User image

Anyone have any problems with feeling lightheaded on this diet?  I've been on it fairly consistent for almost 3 weeks now and I feel light headed at least once every few days - I almost fell over in yoga class the other day.

Any thoughts?
2009-12-19 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2568263

User image

Champion
MA
jamesj7373 - 2009-12-19 2:01 AM Anyone have any problems with feeling lightheaded on this diet?  I've been on it fairly consistent for almost 3 weeks now and I feel light headed at least once every few days - I almost fell over in yoga class the other day.

Any thoughts?

It happens to start. It takes about 4-6 weeks for your body to adapt..even Friel mentions that.

Happened to me and much less now that I've been strict on similar plan since end of September. Stick with it you will feel better. My husband has been doing it about month less than I have and has had his body fat drop 5% in 2 months.
2009-12-19 4:23 PM

User image

Thanks for the response.  I need to be more aware about making sure I'm getting enough calories and protein - both of which I seem to forget to do, blah.  
2009-12-22 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2568939

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
Quick question - does the Paleo for Athletes book contain all the information from the basic book, or do I need both to give this a try?

-Matt

2009-12-22 5:46 PM
in reply to: #2574026

User image

Champion
MA
MLJ - 2009-12-22 5:01 PM Quick question - does the Paleo for Athletes book contain all the information from the basic book, or do I need both to give this a try? -Matt

I have both...just go with the Athlete version...it covers the basic book well.
2009-12-30 2:07 PM

I dont have problems cutting anything from diet, or such and I maintain an average weight of 174 at 5'11". But my main question is to those who said that this change of diet helped them sleep. I have insomnia and sometimes its severe, I'm currently on vacation so all bets are off on my diet. Though when I am in training, I don't drink soda at all, or coffee past 10 am. I saw 2 post saying that they slept better, and one that said they slept worse. I'm considering trying this when I come back to the states. My normal diet includes home made: wheat bread/pasta, lean beef, mostly chicken, and some turkey, fruits and greens, usually salads for lunch. Though weekends I do drink with my friends typically, I really enjoy good beer, (yay Stone Brewery and Port Brewing) but other then that I try to avoid alcohol during the weekday. My other option is to see a doctor and or a nutritionist. 

Is there anyone else who has had their sleep improve because of the diet, quality of sleep and ease of falling sleep. I constantly wake up, toss n' turn, or wont fall asleep for hours. I am only researching my options so insight from anyone is gladly appreciated.

2010-01-01 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran
I think my sleep is better on Paleo. I did 5 weeks, stopped for about a 1.5 weeks and had awful sleep. Now back on for about 4 weeks and sleeping really well. One thing I noticed is that Pre-Paleo I used to take a lot of afternoon naps whenever possible, but since Paleo when I've lain down to take a nap I can't fall asleep, not in an insomniac way, but in an I-don't-need-sleep way. Before I would be asleep almost instantly for naps. I'm not super-strict about my diet, but have cut out basically all grains and dairy except a high protein yogurt. Part of the better sleep too for me is that I can breathe a lot better. My entire life I had chronic sinus congestion that interrupted my sleep some and that's all cleared up.  
2010-01-03 2:35 AM

I'm slightly convinced to try this now, though more people with the same sleep result would make me feel confident. But I've have done everything from exercise (duh), sleep before reading, nighty nyte tea, with over the counter sleep aid (best combo so far, even if I wake up groggy, I just dont like taking medicine) all the way to prescribe, heavy dose of sleeping medicine when I was 12.
2010-01-04 2:32 AM

User image

Expert
England
I have come very close to eliminating processed foods from my diet the last couple of months, and simply living on lean meat/fish and veg, as well as very little dairy eg 2/3 cup of milk on porridge etc. I dont do the exact Paleo diet as a few grains (oats) and other non-Paleo things creep into my diet, but overall I feel wonderful.

My sleep has improved, my energy levels are through the roof, although 4 months of regular quality training again has obviously helped, I have lost 27lbs of fat and not had any energy issues for workouts. Yesterday was the best run of my life as I work towards my first HM and I have noticed 1 other thing recently....everything TASTES better. What I mean by that is the tastes seem to have been multiplied and amplified. The other day I had a pineapple and the the flavour was through the roof. Simple fruits like apples and oranges seem to explode with flavour and I am enjoying vegetables in a way I cant remember doing before. I have no idea why this may be but have a (non-scientific) theory that the reduction of processed foods and their ingredients over a considerable time has somehow allowed my taste buds to 'refresh' themselves.

The only area I really allow processed foods is in protein shakes and recovery drinks, which I only use after hard workouts. Otherwise everything gets cooked from fresh ingredients 99% of the time. I'd recommend going for it, even if you dont do the EXACT Paleo thing....

2010-01-04 8:03 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well I got the book and I have read some of it.

While I think it's great... I don't see it being very vegetarian friendly. I need a few carbs to keep myself feeling full. And to make me give up beans?

I would be curious to see how nutritious and healthy it is for a vegetarian.

I will follow some of the principles, but I'm not giving up my wheat English Muffin for breakfast or my grilled cheese sandwichs... or pizza!

2010-01-04 8:06 PM
in reply to: #2584571

User image

Regular
Marietta, GA
Syndacit - 2009-12-30 3:07 PM

I dont have problems cutting anything from diet, or such and I maintain an average weight of 174 at 5'11". But my main question is to those who said that this change of diet helped them sleep. I have insomnia and sometimes its severe, I'm currently on vacation so all bets are off on my diet. Though when I am in training, I don't drink soda at all, or coffee past 10 am. I saw 2 post saying that they slept better, and one that said they slept worse. I'm considering trying this when I come back to the states. My normal diet includes home made: wheat bread/pasta, lean beef, mostly chicken, and some turkey, fruits and greens, usually salads for lunch. Though weekends I do drink with my friends typically, I really enjoy good beer, (yay Stone Brewery and Port Brewing) but other then that I try to avoid alcohol during the weekday. My other option is to see a doctor and or a nutritionist. 

Is there anyone else who has had their sleep improve because of the diet, quality of sleep and ease of falling sleep. I constantly wake up, toss n' turn, or wont fall asleep for hours. I am only researching my options so insight from anyone is gladly appreciated.

I definitely sleep better on this plan.  Before starting Paleo (even a modified version), I battled insomnia and even anxiety attacks at night keeping me from getting a good night's sleep.  A couple of weeks in and I realized that I was actually sleeping through the night.  I've been sidelined recently with a stress fracture and have been having a mini-pity party while I'm resting so the diet went out of the window. Unfortunately, my nights of sleeping soundly did, too.  I'm back on the plan and already feeling better. It just works well for my system, I guess.   
2010-01-05 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2593854

User image

Expert
England
KSH - 2010-01-05 1:03 AM Well I got the book and I have read some of it. While I think it's great... I don't see it being very vegetarian friendly. I need a few carbs to keep myself feeling full. And to make me give up beans? I would be curious to see how nutritious and healthy it is for a vegetarian. I will follow some of the principles, but I'm not giving up my wheat English Muffin for breakfast or my grilled cheese sandwichs... or pizza!

I dont see it working for a vegetarian - pretty sure they'd say there werent any in Paleo times.

Its all about more lean meat and fish etc so without all the usual sources of protein like beans, legumes, dairy etc you're not going to have much left.
2010-01-05 4:54 PM

I'm glad there are more people responding, I have more confidence in changing my diet to this, and if it helps I'd gladly keep it a permanent thing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paleo Diet for Athletes - review Rss Feed  

of 10