General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stupid Cyclist Move of the Day??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-05-04 4:13 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: Stupid Cyclist Move of the Day???
I am a big stickler for us cyclists doing the best we can to follow the rules and hopefully get drivers to be more understanding of our safety plight on the road.  So, when I saw this move at lunch today it really scared and disappointed me.  Can anyone give me a sensible reason why these cyclist would pull this or was it really true stupidity?

I pulled up to a light that is a 3 lane left turn.  In the far right lane of the 3 there was a big cement truck.  The light turned green as I was pulling up and I spotted it.  Two cyclists in the middle left turn lane.  I audibly gasped and winced waiting to see them crushed under the cement truck.  Thankfully they either realized their mistake or the truck backed off (I was too far behind and didn't make it through the light to see for sure) but I thought for sure I was going to be calling 911 and seeing some major bloodshed.  I really hope it scared the crap out of those 2 as well to be more aware of what they're doing.

Pay attention out there people! 

2009-05-04 5:00 PM
in reply to: #2129511

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Subject: RE: Stupid Cyclist Move of the Day???
its a confidence thing in my opinion. I've been cycling since i was about 5 and i know my limits etc. I am also quite comfortable cycling down the middle of the lane if it means i'm safer. Most people will go along the edge to let cars overtake but ot always the best idea
2009-05-04 5:02 PM
in reply to: #2129628

User image

Lafayette, CO
SteveyD - 2009-05-04 4:00 PM its a confidence thing in my opinion. I've been cycling since i was about 5 and i know my limits etc. I am also quite comfortable cycling down the middle of the lane if it means i'm safer. Most people will go along the edge to let cars overtake but ot always the best idea

I'm not talking the middle of a right lane, I'm talking the middle lane of 3 lanes. 
2009-05-04 7:21 PM

I'm not following.  As I understand it, three lanes turn left.  For the sake of clarity (for me), let's say the leftmost lane is Lane 1, the middle one is Lane 2, and the rightmost left turn lane is Lane 3.  Truck's in 3, they're in 2, everyone is turning left?
2009-05-04 7:32 PM

Wes Sacramento
Yeah, assuming cement truck stays in his lane, where is the potential carnage? Maybe we are missing something.
2009-05-04 7:34 PM

That's what I'm thinking.  Now, me, as a glass-is-half-empty but I'm-keeping-my-lane kinda guy, would hold my line in Lane 2 and fully expect that cement truck guy will not... and I'll have an appropriate contingency plan, with middle finger to follow.

2009-05-04 7:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Burke, VA
Maybe it doesn't count, cause it was yesterday, but on my way back from Chipotle (my best move of the day), I saw a guy riding downhill, blows through a red light without slowing down, in the rain, and wait for it.......no helmet.
2009-05-04 8:00 PM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Cyclist should always be in the right most lane that SAFELY gets them where they are going. So if 3 lanes turning left, they should be in the right most lane turning left.
2009-05-04 8:06 PM
in reply to: #2130018

wwlani - 2009-05-04 6:00 PM Cyclist should always be in the right most lane that SAFELY gets them where they are going. So if 3 lanes turning left, they should be in the right most lane turning left.

I respectfully disagree with the use of your word "should."  In general, yes, I agree with your comment, as do most local laws, but there is always plenty of grey room for an on-scene judgment call for safety.  There are a lot of variables that we don't know from the OP - maybe the right-most lane was horribly rutted, maybe the concrete truck was going at a snail's pace, or maybe it was clearly going to stop or turn right soon thereafter into a construction site.   Maybe the cyclists planned another left turn in the near future, and they were trying to avoid having to cross three lanes of traffic all at once.

Also, have you ever ridden a bike behind a construction vehicle?  I used to get caught behind them all the time on the highway while on my motorcycle.  Pebbles or other such debris bounce out and can really ruin your day - and thats WITH a full faceshield helmet!  Hey, just an idea.
2009-05-04 8:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Burke, VA
I agree, I think in most cases, light changes and you can get off the line faster than a cement vehicle.
2009-05-04 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2130060

robertp1024 - 2009-05-04 6:15 PM I agree, I think in most cases, light changes and you can get off the line faster than a cement vehicle.

Concur.  Also, as far as safety goes, I wouldn't hang out back there.  In one of my former jobs I led/managed a heavy-haul group.  Visibility sucks.  I wouldn't put myself in a pinch point.

2009-05-04 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2129951

User image

Regular
West Chicago
wbmstrmjb - 2009-05-04 7:32 PM Yeah, assuming cement truck stays in his lane, where is the potential carnage? Maybe we are missing something.

Two problems I see in this situation, one is that after they make the turn they are in the middle of three lanes, which is not where cyclists should be, so when/how do they get back in the right lane? They would have to hold up traffic behind them until the right lane clears for them to move over, and that's just rude!!

Second of all, what would happen if someone in the right lane behind the cement truck decided to go around the truck and didn't know there were cyclists next to the truck? When a car is in a hurry wants to go around a slow moving truck, they gun it to get past the truck, and it wouldn't take but a few seconds for that car to run over the cyclists, because the guy in the car is watching the truck, and his rear view mirror....not necessarily in front of him. He would see that their is no vehicle  in that lane, but he wouldn't be able to see the cyclists from behind the truck!!

I'm with COSki Girl on this.....stupidity, arrogance, or a boatload of confidence in their cycling skills to be able to power past the truck and get back into the right lane ahead of him, either way it's a recipe for disaster....IMO!!
2009-05-04 8:33 PM
in reply to: #2130080

Tri2improve - 2009-05-04 6:26 PM
wbmstrmjb - 2009-05-04 7:32 PM Yeah, assuming cement truck stays in his lane, where is the potential carnage? Maybe we are missing something.

Two problems I see in this situation, one is that after they make the turn they are in the middle of three lanes, which is not where cyclists should be, so when/how do they get back in the right lane? They would have to hold up traffic behind them until the right lane clears for them to move over, and that's just rude!!

Second of all, what would happen if someone in the right lane behind the cement truck decided to go around the truck and didn't know there were cyclists next to the truck? When a car is in a hurry wants to go around a slow moving truck, they gun it to get past the truck, and it wouldn't take but a few seconds for that car to run over the cyclists, because the guy in the car is watching the truck, and his rear view mirror....not necessarily in front of him. He would see that their is no vehicle  in that lane, but he wouldn't be able to see the cyclists from behind the truck!!

I'm with COSki Girl on this.....stupidity, arrogance, or a boatload of confidence in their cycling skills to be able to power past the truck and get back into the right lane ahead of him, either way it's a recipe for disaster....IMO!!

200 pounds of cyclist can beat pretty much any car from a dead stop off the line, let alone a cement truck.  Easy day.  It's not stupidiy, arrogance, or overconfidence necessarily.  Again, it's not entirely clear from the OP.

I don't deny that you do have valid points regarding the literal and figurative tunnel vision of most car drivers.

Everyone has their comfort zone.  To each their own.
2009-05-04 8:37 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
To answer some questions, intersection is new with absolutely no rutting.  Turning onto a very busy 6 lane road with absolutely no shoulder.  Another poster mentioned one of my concerns, they are now in the middle lane with 2 lanes of frustrated drivers, one can't go anywhere because of slow truck, another can't go anywhere because of 2 cyclists who are, in Colorado, illegally in the middle lane.  When I caught the cyclists, they took a right at the next major intersection so they were not taking the next left.  They were not first on the line in the middle lane so they were stuck behind the cars in front of them in the middle lane with no ability to jump the light to get in front of cement truck and the cement truck was the front vehicle in his lane.

Although the guy blowing the red with no helmet does battle for the day's stupidity award given these 2 having helmets on. 
2009-05-04 8:44 PM

User image

Regular
Novi, MI
Can of worms? 

I think the argument proves the OP's case.  Certain people are more "confident" than others, causing drivers to get angry at all cyclists, resulting in negative impressions and feelings toward cyclists, in general. 

The issue is, those "confident" cyclists may not get hurt.  It's the family cycling together that the motorist's see later that day.

Substitute confidence for whatever word you like.
2009-05-04 8:54 PM

OP - tending to agree with you more.  llegal - possibly (bc you can bend a lot of stuff by citing lack of safety).  Unsafe - probably.

Did they hold anyone up?

2009-05-04 9:05 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Yes, they did.  Although, I do see what you mean if they had been front of the line and could take off and beat the cement truck AND if they had signaled intention to the truck driver while waiting at the light.   But, as another stated, we b*tch and moan here about stupid, harassing drivers but if we don't follow the rules how can we expect drivers to be patient with us when we are following the rules?

Edited by COSkiGirl 2009-05-04 9:06 PM
2009-05-04 9:35 PM
in reply to: #2130098

User image

Regular
West Chicago
dave699 - 2009-05-04 8:33 PM
Tri2improve - 2009-05-04 6:26 PM

200 pounds of cyclist can beat pretty much any car from a dead stop off the line, let alone a cement truck.  Easy day.  It's not stupidiy, arrogance, or overconfidence necessarily.  Again, it's not entirely clear from the OP.

I don't deny that you do have valid points regarding the literal and figurative tunnel vision of most car drivers.

Everyone has their comfort zone.  To each their own.

I can hit about 30 mph in about 10 seconds in my pickup truck, I'm not so sure 200 pounds of cyclist could blow me off the line from a dead stop before I would mow him over. As a matter of fact, I'd take any cyclist up on that bet anyday.....even Lance!!
2009-05-04 9:38 PM
in reply to: #2130213

I can hit about 30 mph in about 10 seconds in my pickup truck, I'm not so sure 200 pounds of cyclist could blow me off the line from a dead stop before I would mow him over. As a matter of fact, I'd take any cyclist up on that bet anyday.....even Lance!!

Wait a minute... it was YOU stuck behind the two cyclists!  Let them live!  Let them live!
2009-05-04 9:44 PM
in reply to: #2130216

User image

Regular
West Chicago
dave699 - 2009-05-04 9:38 PM
I can hit about 30 mph in about 10 seconds in my pickup truck, I'm not so sure 200 pounds of cyclist could blow me off the line from a dead stop before I would could possibly mow him over. As a matter of fact, I'd take any cyclist up on that bet anyday.....even Lance!!

Wait a minute... it was YOU stuck behind the two cyclists!  Let them live!  Let them live!

No, definately not me......I never turn left!! Cool
2009-05-04 9:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Burke, VA
My bad assumtion. I thought the 2 were on the line. I would say yeah, being behind a car, polly a bad move and decision on their part.

2009-05-04 10:13 PM
in reply to: #2130229

Tri2improve - 2009-05-04 7:44 PM
I can hit about 30 mph in about 10 seconds in my pickup truck, I'm not so sure 200 pounds of cyclist could blow me off the line from a dead stop before I would could possibly mow him over. As a matter of fact, I'd take any cyclist up on that bet anyday.....even Lance!!

"I'm not an ambiturner."
2009-05-04 10:17 PM
in reply to: #2130265

User image

Lafayette, CO
dave699 - 2009-05-04 9:13 PM
Tri2improve - 2009-05-04 7:44 PM

"I'm not an ambiturner."

Knock it off you two, this is supposed to be serious!
2009-05-05 9:59 AM

User image

New user
Slightly off topic, but potentially stupid cyclist move - done by, uh hemh, me.

So when running I have always ran against traffic - like to see 'em comming at me in the event I need to dive into the ditch as they are texting.  When riding the bike with traffic I have always rode with traffic, figured at 15-25mph I was better off going with the flow and the cars could pass when they found it safe to pass (not that that always happens).  So I have this new route that takes me about 5 miles on a busy 5 lane highway with lots of stoplights and businesses along the route.  My route usually involves making a left onto the highway and a left off the highway - so instead of crossing the 5 lanes of traffic I have opted to ride up the shoulder (very wide shoulder) toward oncomming traffic, in much the same fashion I would do if I was running.

I've done this route a few times over the last week and have had MULTIPLE close calls!  People are not looking my direction as they turn across traffic into a business parking lot, they take to the shoulder (not a turn lane) to get out of the highway traffic and don't see me comming at them, the ones on my side are always looking left at oncomming traffic as I approach from the right.  I obviously answered my own question here, but wonder if anyone else has experienced this kind of craizness while riding against traffic?
2009-05-05 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2131075

aneal000 - 2009-05-05 7:59 AM Slightly off topic, but potentially stupid cyclist move - done by, uh hemh, me.

So when running I have always ran against traffic - like to see 'em comming at me in the event I need to dive into the ditch as they are texting.  When riding the bike with traffic I have always rode with traffic, figured at 15-25mph I was better off going with the flow and the cars could pass when they found it safe to pass (not that that always happens).  So I have this new route that takes me about 5 miles on a busy 5 lane highway with lots of stoplights and businesses along the route.  My route usually involves making a left onto the highway and a left off the highway - so instead of crossing the 5 lanes of traffic I have opted to ride up the shoulder (very wide shoulder) toward oncomming traffic, in much the same fashion I would do if I was running.

I've done this route a few times over the last week and have had MULTIPLE close calls!  People are not looking my direction as they turn across traffic into a business parking lot, they take to the shoulder (not a turn lane) to get out of the highway traffic and don't see me comming at them, the ones on my side are always looking left at oncomming traffic as I approach from the right.  I obviously answered my own question here, but wonder if anyone else has experienced this kind of craizness while riding against traffic?

Bike salmon!

In most places that's illegal.  I'm not judging, but... well, yes I am.  To each their own, but why do you think you're having close calls?  You're not riding where you're supposed to be.  Pet peeve of mine.  I intend no offense, but that's one of the reasons that drivers act erratically.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stupid Cyclist Move of the Day??? Rss Feed  

of 2