General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stupid Cyclist Move of the Day??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-05-05 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2131075

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Stupid Cyclist Move of the Day???
aneal000 - 2009-05-05 8:59 AM Slightly off topic, but potentially stupid cyclist move - done by, uh hemh, me.

So when running I have always ran against traffic - like to see 'em comming at me in the event I need to dive into the ditch as they are texting.  When riding the bike with traffic I have always rode with traffic, figured at 15-25mph I was better off going with the flow and the cars could pass when they found it safe to pass (not that that always happens).  So I have this new route that takes me about 5 miles on a busy 5 lane highway with lots of stoplights and businesses along the route.  My route usually involves making a left onto the highway and a left off the highway - so instead of crossing the 5 lanes of traffic I have opted to ride up the shoulder (very wide shoulder) toward oncomming traffic, in much the same fashion I would do if I was running.

I've done this route a few times over the last week and have had MULTIPLE close calls!  People are not looking my direction as they turn across traffic into a business parking lot, they take to the shoulder (not a turn lane) to get out of the highway traffic and don't see me comming at them, the ones on my side are always looking left at oncomming traffic as I approach from the right.  I obviously answered my own question here, but wonder if anyone else has experienced this kind of craizness while riding against traffic?

Riding against traffic in the street is illegal in Colorado and would get you a ticket.  In most states your bike is treated exactly the same as a car for traffic laws. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stupid Cyclist Move of the Day??? Rss Feed  

of 2