General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A letter to Dallas Sports University Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-05-10 8:49 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: A letter to Dallas Sports University

Dear DSU,

It is with some amount of regret to inform you that I am not going to be signing up for any more of your races.

Last night, I went on-line to register for the Texasman Olympic.  I was fully expecting to pay more due to my late timing, but $110 dollars for a local race.  I was shocked.

For my husband and I to race next weekend, it would cost $220 dollars.  Add into that having to drive to Denton not once on raceday, but twice because your packet pick-up locations are not conveniet for those of us who live in the Ft. Worth area.  Those of us who work in Ft. Worth have almost no chance to make it to Thursdays pick up leaving the only option an hour drive to Denton on Saturday.

While I do understand that there are substantial costs associated with putting on this race, in reality, the difference between the Sprint and Olympic is one aid station at the park entrance. 

Your competitors in the area are substantially less expensive, offer better "schwag" and more convenient packet-pick up locations.

If I felt that the cost justified the quaity of race,  I would certainly have considered paying your fee.  In reality, although the pancakes are a nice touch, there has been an obvious lack of organization in your races so far this year.  Caveman had a great course, but issues with the timing allowed awards to be given to athletes who cheated by only completing one loop of the bike or run. 

I have enjoyed your races in the past, but in this economy, the ends must justify the means.  Charging half the cost of an MDot 70.3 for a local olympic is, in my mind not justified.

Thank You

Dodgersmom

2009-05-10 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2141411

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: A letter to Dallas Sports University
Didcha send it?
2009-05-10 10:00 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
If you want their contact information... to send it directly... I'm pretty sure Jonny has it since he's a member of their club.

2009-05-10 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
TM will be my ast DSU race unless they can drastically turn themselves around. Or perhaps they may go bankrupt again and never be heard of again, and someoine else better can take their place.
2009-05-10 10:22 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-05-10 10:48 AM

Regular

I completely agree

2009-05-10 1:57 PM

Pro
Texas
There's more difference between the sprint & olympic than just the aid station. There's additional cops on the longer bike route as well as more buoys & kayakers in the swim portion. You also have to consider that they'd be paying less for police & park presence if they just did a sprint because everybody would be done sooner and - if memory serves - they have to pay the cops by the hour.

I think it's worth mentioning that any of the Dallas-based tri promoters are going to have pick-ups that are inconvenient to people living/working in Ft. Worth. I wouldn't expect Ironhead to setup shop in HEB or Keller for their Garland races, for example. They're having an event in Denton, having the packet pick-ups in Coppell & Denton seem reasonable. If they were having it at Joe Pool and the pick-ups were in Coppell & Denton, then yea that would be ridiculous.

I'm with you on some of their organizational issues - like the timing at Caveman - and I think DSU has plenty of work to do to keep up with the better DFW promoters. But not all of what you mentioned is necessarily a bad idea on their part.

If you want to send this to Danny(Tom's right-hand man and in charge of a lot of the race preparations), his email is [email protected].
2009-05-10 4:12 PM

Pro
Keller, Texas

You do have some valid points Jonny, but I guess the $110 just set me off.

2009-05-10 4:56 PM
in reply to: #2141759

Pro
Texas
dodgersmom - 2009-05-10 4:12 PM

Yea I hear you, and sometimes paying the sign-up fees is a tough pill to swallow. But Lonestar oly was $100 the week of and Champions Tri was $110 on race day, so $110 for an oly isn't unheard of. Heck, CapTex is $135 on race day!

I'm not trying to come off as a DSU apologist because they've got their issues. The timing at Caveman was a debacle, the aid stations(or lack thereof) at Disco a couple of years ago was abysmal, and their shirts/caps were bad all season last year. They're far from perfect.
2009-05-10 5:41 PM

2009-05-10 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2141798

Master
Keller Tx

JBrashear - 2009-05-10 4:56 PM
dodgersmom - 2009-05-10 4:12 PM

Yea I hear you, and sometimes paying the sign-up fees is a tough pill to swallow. But Lonestar oly was $100 the week of and Champions Tri was $110 on race day, so $110 for an oly isn't unheard of. Heck, CapTex is $135 on race day! I'm not trying to come off as a DSU apologist because they've got their issues. The timing at Caveman was a debacle, the aid stations(or lack thereof) at Disco a couple of years ago was abysmal, and their shirts/caps were bad all season last year. They're far from perfect.

I agree that the price is not unprecedented, but what you get for the money doesn't even come close.  At Keiths races you get everything you could ever imagine, and on top of that, more that you didn't think of.  Hell....$95 for the River Cities sprint was steep, but the swag was what we knew we were paying for.  Plus an awesome spread of food afterwards.  The other thing you need to consider about the races that you mentioned, they are destination races.  DSU is just one of many in this area. 

2009-05-10 10:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas

I also am not a fan of DSU for some of the same reasons and a few others.  Dane has terrible follow up and he owes me a medal!  And what about all their races being scheduled on top of Jack's?!

2009-05-11 9:21 AM

North Central Texas
I will put another vote in for the packet pickup issue.  Putting on races that draw primarily local contestants, local being from Dallas & Tarrant counties it would only make sense to have one day that someone could get their packet in Fort Worth.  I am sure one of the local bike or running shops would cooperate.

While their fees are the highest in town at least I know I am getting hosed when I sign up for the race.  They do not always have packet pickups listed when they first advertise the race and start taking entrants.  After they have your money they let know you have to take off work and drive to the far end of Dallas county to get a stinkin race number.  

I have a good time at their races but let's face it, none of the local sprints fall into "A" race categories so I makes no difference if I race in one of the other races put on by the other production companies that do as good a job for less money and a more convient pickup.
2009-05-11 10:02 AM

Champion
Dallas, TX
I do have to agree... what is up with packet pick-up locations?

For one of their races last year I had to drive to a Kroger and walk around the store to two different tables to get all the items. Very odd. Not to mention that it was a 30 minute drive.

I wonder why they can't have packet pick-up at the bike shops, etc. Just seems logical.

2009-05-11 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2143061

Pro
Texas
KSH - 2009-05-11 10:02 AM

I do have to agree... what is up with packet pick-up locations?

For one of their races last year I had to drive to a Kroger and walk around the store to two different tables to get all the items. Very odd. Not to mention that it was a 30 minute drive.

I wonder why they can't have packet pick-up at the bike shops, etc. Just seems logical.

For Caveman, I know the location on 121 was setup by their marketing guy. Why DSU isn't ever at RBM is beyond me.
2009-05-11 11:17 AM

Pro
Keller, Texas

I am sure Bikes Inc in Keller or Hurst would participate. 

It just really ticked me off.  The combination of $110 and having to drive to Denton Saturday and Sunday just totally out me off.

2009-05-11 12:28 PM

2009-05-13 9:17 AM

Veteran
Little Elm, Texas
Let me start by saying I agree with many of the points about cost and past performance. I think the cost is too high and awards were given to the wrong people at St. Patricks Day Tri (which I did) and according to the posts at Caveman tri (which I did not do). I also prefer when race organizers support a charity with an event. It does say on the TexasMan website that Volunteer groups can earn money for supporting the race. However, I would like to see every event target a specific charity in the community that is hosting the event.

I don't agree with the packet pick-up problems people are complaining about. HTFU (ok, maybe that's too harsh). Look at the situation from a different perspective. Support the area that is hosting the race and the sponsors that make it possible.
Bicylcles Plus is one of the sponsors, so it makes sense to have packet pick-up there. I often pick up a tube or something for the race at packet pick-up. I imagine many others do the same which supports the business and encourages them to sponsor future events. Seems like a win-win situation to me.
I live and work North of Dallas and Fort Worth in the Denton area and repeatedly have to drive 30+ minutes for packet pick-up and racing. I work 40+ hours, have 2 kids under 3 years of age, train, and still have time to make it to packet pick up for these events. Packet pick up for TexasMan is also at Albertson's which is a ten minute drive from my office and even closer for some of my training partners that live in Corinth. Give some love to the ever growing group of triathletes North of D/FW.
2009-05-13 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2147938

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
dangitdake - 2009-05-13 9:17 AM Let me start by saying I agree with many of the points about cost and past performance. I think the cost is too high and awards were given to the wrong people at St. Patricks Day Tri (which I did) and according to the posts at Caveman tri (which I did not do). I also prefer when race organizers support a charity with an event. It does say on the TexasMan website that Volunteer groups can earn money for supporting the race. However, I would like to see every event target a specific charity in the community that is hosting the event.

I don't agree with the packet pick-up problems people are complaining about. HTFU (ok, maybe that's too harsh). Look at the situation from a different perspective. Support the area that is hosting the race and the sponsors that make it possible.
Bicylcles Plus is one of the sponsors, so it makes sense to have packet pick-up there. I often pick up a tube or something for the race at packet pick-up. I imagine many others do the same which supports the business and encourages them to sponsor future events. Seems like a win-win situation to me.
I live and work North of Dallas and Fort Worth in the Denton area and repeatedly have to drive 30+ minutes for packet pick-up and racing. I work 40+ hours, have 2 kids under 3 years of age, train, and still have time to make it to packet pick up for these events. Packet pick up for TexasMan is also at Albertson's which is a ten minute drive from my office and even closer for some of my training partners that live in Corinth. Give some love to the ever growing group of triathletes North of D/FW.

X2...not to be harsh...but why would they have packet pick up in Ft. Worth for a race in Denton??  Unless a bike shop in ft. worth is will to sponsor the event...there's no logical reason for the packet pickup to be there.  Next people in Waxahachie will be wanting packet pickup as well,...so on and so forth. 

However, I agree with price vs. experience and so forth.

Edited by bmcgee 2009-05-13 10:14 AM
2009-05-13 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2147938

Master
Frisco, Texas
I agree the packet pickup should be where the race is located and where the sponsors are located.  If I'm Bicycles Plus and forking up cash to suppor the race, then I would want the packet pickup at my store.  That generates traffic and advertisement.  I just went to Bicycles Plus' website and found out they have Felt bikes.  I didn't know that.  Now tomorrow I'll drive to Coppell to pick up my packet and check out the new Felts. 

On a side note, scroll down to the bottom of Bicycles Plus' home page.  There is a picture of a bike they built for Shawn Bradley.  Look at the size of that thing!  80cm frame!  The head tube must be a foot long.
2009-05-13 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2148255

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
zia_cyclist - 2009-05-13 10:54 AM I agree the packet pickup should be where the race is located and where the sponsors are located.  If I'm Bicycles Plus and forking up cash to suppor the race, then I would want the packet pickup at my store.  That generates traffic and advertisement.  I just went to Bicycles Plus' website and found out they have Felt bikes.  I didn't know that.  Now tomorrow I'll drive to Coppell to pick up my packet and check out the new Felts. 

On a side note, scroll down to the bottom of Bicycles Plus' home page.  There is a picture of a bike they built for Shawn Bradley.  Look at the size of that thing!  80cm frame!  The head tube must be a foot long.

I used to do their group rides in Flower Mound on Monday's...they also have Scotts (IMO they have great lines) as well as others...pretty good selection actually.

2009-05-13 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2148255

Veteran
zia_cyclist - 2009-05-13 10:54 AM I agree the packet pickup should be where the race is located and where the sponsors are located.  If I'm Bicycles Plus and forking up cash to suppor the race, then I would want the packet pickup at my store.  That generates traffic and advertisement.  I just went to Bicycles Plus' website and found out they have Felt bikes.  I didn't know that.  Now tomorrow I'll drive to Coppell to pick up my packet and check out the new Felts. 

You guys nailed it.  There are countless places to hold packet pickup, but it is about driving traffic to the ones that pay for sponsorship.  If there are 500 athletes and half of them spend $40 bucks on something...that is $10,000 of sales.  And if you get to check out that new Felt and end up buying from them...that is what sponsorship is about.  In the end, triathlons are a business.  The great thing about DFW is that there are a lot of races and we can chose the ones that we like how they are run and not support or go to the ones that we dont like.  Maybe they will change and improve, maybe not. 

That Shawn Bradly bike is wild.
2009-05-13 11:31 AM

Pro
Keller, Texas

OK, I do agree on the bike shops, and I would not have a problem going to Bikes Plus in Coppell but working in Ft. Worth, I cannot get there on a Thursday by 6.  If they did Saturday pick-up in Coppell, that would be a different story.

Having to drive to an Albertsons in Denton on Saturday kills the day.  Why not add an Albertsons in the FTX area on Friday?

2009-05-13 11:40 AM

2009-05-13 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2148376

Veteran
JeepFleeb - 2009-05-13 11:40 AM What DSU screwed up so badly at St. Patty's wasn't the location, it was the timing.

Pick-up times weren't announced until after the race had sold out and it was impossible for lots of people to get off work and drive through Dallas rush hour on Thrusday or Friday to be there before 6.  Extending the time by an hour would have made life much easier for those in Tarrant County.

Or they could have taken advantage of those of us who volunteered to work a Wednesday date.

Agreed.  Earlier release of place and time, and have it later in the evening, most places are open until 9pm.  The package pick-up killed me for Caveman in McKinney/Frisco, and I live in Frisco.  Took me an hour in traffic to get there from Richardson....should have been 20/25 minutes (the kicker was that I ended up being in Flower Mound on Saturday to buy something for my wife off craigslist, ha)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A letter to Dallas Sports University Rss Feed  

of 2