Tampa, Florida
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 55m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Not so much a race report as an accouting of a very emotional weekends journey. The day before the race I drove over to Tampa to get packets for Janice, My mom and dad and myself. It was a very hectic tiring week and day for me and with Terri's memorial and Tom's wedding on race day plus ER call looming I was in a weird place. Basically I was just tired and cranky. I made it home around 4:30ish. Handed out the packets. My mom is so cute she is ALL about the goody bag. She loved it. Then I gave her her mothers day gift. Yes my 70 year old mother is addicted to video games. She LOVES the Wii. I got her the Jilliam Micheals work out Wii game plus I got them all the Wii attatchment things...tennis raquet golf club etc.

Race morning we all got up to the sounds of my dad puttering in the kitchen. I had been to PT lady the day before and my hip was feeling better but overall I had not felt well friday and still didn't I had a lot of right sided pain similar to when I had my kidney stone. Up and at em at anyrate. had some diet coke and Janice had made rice crispie treats for breakfast...YUM.

I drove us over to USF and we got a PRIMO parking place. We were trying to find where to get our timing chips and we find a big Placard with Terri's picture honoring her. I'm not exactly sure how that happened. We were all just looking at it and Janice and i were wearing our Team Terri shirts and a volunteer came over and asked us who she was. I tried to explain we had lost her a mere 2 weeks ago and Pete had proposed 2 years ago at the finish. Janice and I lost it. Just a blubbering mess. My goal for the race became to NOT CRY while running.

We found the timing chips and sat down. We overheard this guy say "I don't need a timing chip I need a calender"....teeheehee:) I was really not feeling well. I'm not sure if it was from seeing PT lady the day before, a touch of the flu the anxiety of the day that lay ahead or all of the above. Janice and I walked over to the start of the 5 mile race and I kept looking for signs of Jeff, Brian or Pete. They ended up not making it for obvious reasons.
Event warmup:

nada
Run
  • 55m 45s
  • 5 miles
  • 11m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Well the gun went off and I tried to loose myself in the music on my iPod. Almost everyone at this race has a story. Someone they know or loved has been touched by cancer in some way. Lots of cancer survivors, lots of people wearing 'in memory of' or 'in celebration of' signs. I was trying really hard to not cry. Christine and Terri would both kick my ass for that. I had no time goals I just wanted to honor them by doing my best.

Hip was sore the first mile then quieted down nicely. Legs were a bit tired but I was happy to be eeking it out. I was doing pretty good thru the first 3 miles. Don't cry don't cry don't cry. We went out on a little out and back that was part of the original race (they have changed it ove the years) I rememebr the first year when Renee and I were running together. Christine was a little ahead of us and we saw her go into a porta potty. We ran past then along she comes and whacks Renee on the ass..........don't cry don't cry don't cry.......

My hip started hurting again the last mile. I just didn't give a rats ass about my time. I walked quite a bit. WHERE was the f-ing finish line. I finally saw it and YAY I was done.
What would you do differently?:

not sure
Post race
Warm down:

I was still searching for Jeff. Got some food and stuff. I sat down near Terri's sign to wait as it was our meeting place. As I was sitting there I saw 2 litle girls maybe 8 and 10 years old. They were wearing signs that said "In memory of mommy we miss you and love you" with an older woman who I can only assume was their grandmother with a in memory of "my daughter" sign. We all get so f*cking caught up in things that are just not important. How important is it in the grander scheme of life if I run 10 minute miles or 11 minute miles? Its not important at all. I do this for fun and fitness and I try my best evertime I train and race. Being able to do this with my family is so so important. I'm so lucky.

My dad found me before the start of the 1 mile walk and gave me my car keys back. I went and got my phone because it has a good camera and I wanted pictures of Terri's sign. Janice and my parents finished and we got some pictures and left. My parents as cancer survivors got second goody bags so my mom was all happy. She really enjoys doing this event every year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too emotional, sore hip, not feeling well

Event comments:

This race is near and dear to me. Moffitt Cancer center is where both my parents were treated for their cancer and is my target charity for the Janus Charity Challenge. I have lost 4 friends to cancer in the last year. My friend Jennifer from the hospital died last May, Christine in July, my employee Rick in November and Terri 2 weeks ago. Both my parents are currently cancer free. I am grateful beyond words especially for my dad. His cancer carries a 5 year survival rate of 5%. He is currently over 4 years from his surgery and chemotherapy and cancer free. He is so so lucky. Moffitt is one of the top 2 lung cancer centers in the country. Pete proposed to Terri at this race in 2007 at the finish line. Her memorial 2 years later is the day of the race. The first year the race was run I ran it with Renee and Christine. SIGH

Race was MUCH more organized than last year. Things went extremely well for them with over 4000 participants.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-04-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:55:45 | 05 miles | 11m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and about the USF campus
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-05-10 6:48 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Miles For Moffitt

2009-05-10 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2141939

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Miles For Moffitt
I am glad you ran the race, even though you were not at your best self.  I am sure Christine and Terri would be grateful to see you doing this race. 

Great job to your parents doing the walking.  Your mom likes playing Wii fit? 
2009-05-10 7:07 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Hugsss!!!

I wore my 'Miles for Moffit' tee shirt to shop tonight ... 3 people stopped me to  aske about the race.  One wants to donate.  CANCER SUCKS!!!!

Thanks for being my 'Country Home' this weekend.

Note:  Lovebugs are not out at 7am! 

Love you!
2009-05-11 5:11 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
You did them ALL proud, and you are SO RIGHT about what is important. I'm going to run this race for similar reasons if it isn't Muddy Buddy day next year. My mom is a survivor, but so many are not - my aunt is waiting to be transferred to Moffit for a bone marrow transplant as soon as they can find her a match, if they can keep her alive that long. Sounds like a wonderful cancer center and a great race to honor them, survivors and victims. Thanks for representing.
2009-05-11 5:21 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Aaaw hon.. I was fighting back the tears just reading about your run... much love.

Its fantastic your family can all take part - Im sure everyone was with you out there.

Take Care

2009-05-11 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Wow. Well Done. Both girls would have been so proud of you for getting out there and honoring them by doing the race.

*Hugs*

2009-05-11 3:23 PM

User image

Colorado

This is one of the best race reports I've ever read.  Focuses on the important stuff.  You rock.

2009-05-11 3:48 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

I am sure Terri and Christine were smiling and running with you.

2009-05-11 4:21 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
You were not running alone, and nor will you ever again, very touching race report, very touching....

2009-05-11 4:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I can't imagine what an emotionally tough day that must have been, but I'm damn proud of you for doing the run for all the right reasons and appreciating what we have rather than worrying about mile splits, awards, etc. Your mom sounds just like my mom---she freakin' loves the race shirts and bags. After I finish rolling my eyes at her, I can't ever help but laugh!
2009-05-12 8:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Moffat is such a good charity.....the staff there are so upbeat and inspiring. I'm proud of you for choosing them as your charity and for supporting this race (and getting your parents to celebrate their milestones each year). You remind us all of what is truly important.

2009-05-12 10:27 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Way to be grateful, Sue.   We all need to have that attitude.
2009-05-13 2:32 AM

User image

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
Big (((((((((((((((((((((((((HUG))))))))))))))))))))))))))
2009-05-13 12:45 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Excellent tribute race and cause.  And these three things remain: Faith, Hope, and Love...and the greatest of these is Love.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miles For Moffitt Rss Feed