United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 43m 37s
Overall Rank = 18/52
Age Group = Mixed Relay
Age Group Rank = 9/24
Pre-race routine:

Got in Thursday night, we stayed at my boss's condo about 10 minutes away. I haven't done a relay since 2003 when I was new to the sport. My foot/ankle injury has shut down my running. Marcy wanted to do the race again and I had a friend that wanted to relay. My job was to bike, my friend Lindaay was the swimmer and runner. Thus the birth of Team Buns and Wienie!

Spagetti dinner the night before. Up at 4:00 AM, ate breakfast at 4:45 which seems early since I probably wouldn't get on the bike till 8:00.
Event warmup:

Got to transition at 5:30 and made sure Marcy was good to go then hung out with Lindsay while the early waves. Lindsay didn't start until 7:25, the last wave. I walked down to watch Marcy start, didn't see her there but did see Sledge and wished her well. I had forgot my sunglasses but since I had alot of time I walked back to the truck and got them. Sat around the tent and waited with the competition. The early swimmers started coming in and I watched and cheered them. Saw Marcy come through transition and then ate my granola and drank gatorade.
Swim
  • 39m 24s
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Lindsay is a pretty good swimmer and came out about 4 minutes slower than projected but the conditions were really tough.
Transition 1
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

Our rack was the furtherest possible spot from the bike exit and I couldn't run very fast in the bike shoes.
What would you do differently?:

clip shoes on the pedals. I haven't done this in a couple years but the long run in bike shoes was hard on the ankle.
Bike
  • 2h 47m 58s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I was expecting more of a tail wind for the first 3 miles but kinda happy that it was more cross than tail. Starting in the last wave is kinda lonesome and targets to pass are few and far between. After the first turnaround I pushed into the cross head and anxiously anticipated the trip north. Held 19 to 20 until the turn north. The 12 miles north were great 23 to 25 mph. After the turn west, slowed a little but still 20 plus most of the way. 1:22 at the half way point. Return trip got tougher but I hung around 18 to 19 till we made the turn south. Those 12 fun miles going out were tough coming back. Made the turn east back to the finish line and pushed what little I had left. When I passed the last water stop I tossed my cage bottle as I knew I didn't have to run after. Took feet out of pedals about 100 yards out and dismounted at the line. Ran to the tent yelling for Lindsay so she knew I was coming.

more training, i still got good power but endurance isn't what it once was. My original projection was 2:45.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

much better, Lindaay heard me coming and we did the chip sway well.
Run
  • 2h 11m 7s
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

It was so hot so I knew the 1:50 best case scenario wouldn't happen for Lindsay today. Once she left transition I got my clothes and went for a swim in the race hotel pool. Took a bath in the pool then changed into street clothes. I then went and got some free beer. I have done this race 4 times and the run is so miserable. The run for me today was a breeze, swim, drink beer, wait for Lindsay. Lindaay came in at 2:07 which under the circumstances was pretty good. Lindsay had passed Marcy at mile 11 so we ansiously awaited Marcy who showed up 5 minutes later. Marcy then informed me that Lindsay had been busted for an i pod violation. Since I had made her swear not to wear one I was disappointed in her and even more disappointed that she got caught.

I would go through Lindsay's bag while she was swimming and destroy her ipod or give it to a nice volunteer.
Post race
Warm down:

Got Marcy and went to the beer tent and ate pizza and beer. Went back to finish line to see if Sledge was still out but we must have missed her. Went and got our bikes and left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

old age, bad ankle, inadequate training, and a cheating teammate. As much as I am mad about the penalty I will be able to shame her on it for years to come so its worth it.

Event comments:

The relay thing is not the same as doing the whole thing. Having done the whole thing before it just feels a little empty. I did have fun and was proud of Marcy's performance and dispite my teammates indescretions I had a blast.

This is a rockstar race. Dispite alot of new competition this race still rates among the very best.

Last updated: 2009-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:24 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 11/24
Overall: 0/52
Performance: Average
Suit: wet suit
Course: out 5 buoys, across and then back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:19
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:47:58 | 56 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/24
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Same one I have raced 5 times.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:11:07 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 10/24
Performance: Good
Course: pure hell
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-11 8:57 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: Gulf Coast Triathlon

2009-05-11 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2144767

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Subject: RE: Gulf Coast Triathlon
Nice race.

My wife and I are thinking about doing next years GCT as a relay.
2009-05-12 1:08 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Oh geez, I didn't know about the iPod!  That's a shame, and she definitely needs to be razzed about it.  But I'm loving your bike time!!!  Super job.

2009-05-12 8:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Strong bike time! Your finish time was my goal time. You guys did great on a tough condition day.
2009-05-12 9:12 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Great job!

Doing relays are a blast. You had an awesome bike split. I'm doing a HIM relay in a few weeks.

Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gulf Coast Triathlon Rss Feed