Other Resources My Cup of Joe » WwCOJD? - Name Change Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-05-15 6:55 PM
in reply to: #2153514

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: WwCOJD? - Name Change
Maiden.  My mom went back to hers and while it was occasionally questioned it wasn't really a problem.  Only time there may be issues is traveling overseas. 

2009-05-15 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio
Well from what you said, it doesn't seem much to matter.  How old are the kids though?  I was divorced when my sons were very little.  I have kept my married last name for a few reasons that I think make sense:

1. Their father was MIA for four years; I wanted the three of us to always feel like a family still, and I hoped that us all keeping the last name would be a symbol of the fact that the three of us were a family, regardless of their father's poor choices.  I didn't want them to feel divided from me, or like it was a "bad" name because of thier father. 

2.  I have a dozen professional publications under this name, and none under my maiden. 

3.  I'm not into public displays of my private life too much, and I didn't like the thought of having one name at the top of my CV, with publications listed under another.  And then what if I ever remarry?  Then there's yet ANOTHER possible name.  It just gets to be ridiculous.

4.  (A tiny piece of me hopes to be ridiculously successful with this name so that some day I can shove it into my dillusional ex's face, since he always cried about his family name being "cursed."  Actually, he's just a big loser, it's not the name.)
2009-05-15 8:33 PM
in reply to: #2154213

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
crusevegas - 2009-05-15 7:21 PM

gearboy - 2009-05-15 4:11 PM
crusevegas - 2009-05-15 4:51 PM

wurkit_gurl - 2009-05-15 12:01 PM

The "friend" should go back to her maiden name. Leave the kids with their legal name. If when they are older, they decide they want to switch it, let them make that decision.

??

To the OP, i'd say go with one sounds cooler. I don't think matters a great deal, she should do what she feels best about.

Yeah - a cool name!  Like "Superfast", or "Ultrawoman"!  Ooo, ooo - how about "Thundercat"?  Those would be really cool  names!

Unless she has a "name" in her industry, I would say go back to the maiden name.  I have a friend who goes by her maiden name professionally, even though she got married before med school.  She is still with her husband, and for social things, uses his name.  But I think it makes sense to use the maiden name for professional purposes.  Of course, when they would get together with her co-workers, people would call him "Mr. X" instead of his last name.  But her licensing and professional name is all tied with her maiden name.

Thanks for brining the typo to my attention, I was trying to say the cooler one between the maiden and married name, was just a suggestion.

No, no - I got that.  I just think if you get to pick your own name, you should go with a cool name.  There was a guy in my med school whose last name was "Superdoc" - or at least it was pronounced that way on the overheads.  How awesome was that, for a doc? 
2009-05-15 8:38 PM
in reply to: #2153917

The "friend" should go back to her maiden name. Leave the kids with their legal name. If when they are older, they decide they want to switch it, let them make that decision.

??

To the OP, i'd say go with one sounds cooler. I don't think matters a great deal, she should do what she feels best about.

What I meant was - the kids' father's last name is their legal name. It's what they know, it's their identity, the only identity they've ever had. Depending on how old they are, changing it on them could be confusing, traumatizing, etc. Maybe awkward for them to have to explain why their last name isn't the same anymore. If they're a little older, they might be resentful. So, when they are old enough to decide that for whatever reason that they do NOT want to carry their father's name anymore, then fine. It's one thing for an adult to go back to the name they grew up with. And perhaps the woman might feel animosity towards carrying her ex-husband's last name. She HAD a name, an identity, that she grew up with until she married this person. If that makes any sense.

It was just my suggestion.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-05-15 8:44 PM
2009-05-15 8:54 PM

User image

On your right
If she doesn't want the married name, and has no real care for the maiden name, why not just pick something she wants?  If you're going to go through the trouble of changing it, why not make it whatever you want? 
2009-05-15 9:09 PM
in reply to: #2154360

User image

wurkit_gurl - 2009-05-15 6:38 PM

??

What I meant was - the kids' father's last name is their legal name. It's what they know, it's their identity, the only identity they've ever had. Depending on how old they are, changing it on them could be confusing, traumatizing, etc. Maybe awkward for them to have to explain why their last name isn't the same anymore. If they're a little older, they might be resentful. So, when they are old enough to decide that for whatever reason that they do NOT want to carry their father's name anymore, then fine. It's one thing for an adult to go back to the name they grew up with. And perhaps the woman might feel animosity towards carrying her ex-husband's last name. She HAD a name, an identity, that she grew up with until she married this person. If that makes any sense.

It was just my suggestion.

I just thought it was an odd suggeston to make and didn't really understand it. After Zilla's comment it made sense to me then.

Thanks and enjoy your weekend.

2009-05-15 9:40 PM
in reply to: #2154212

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Zilla 2009-05-15 9:40 PM
2009-05-15 9:56 PM

Elite
There's only one name to go with. Ochocinco.

Seriously, if that's what makes her happy, go for it. Personally, I think it's "just a name." I'm not too crazy about my last name, but I look at it like I'm one heck of an improvement in the name! ...and my kids will be even more amazing.
2009-05-16 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2154441

Zilla - 2009-05-15 7:40 PM
crusevegas - 2009-05-15 4:19 PM

Zilla - 2009-05-15 1:56 PM
crusevegas - 2009-05-15 1:51 PM

??

I made that decision when I was legally able to do so at 16.  Depends on the circumstances.  For me ...  after the divorce, when I was about 10 months old,  I never saw my father again  .... he dropped out of my life and I did not want to carry his name.  I switched it to my grandpa's last name since he raised me like a daughter.    Now in my daughter's case .. she is with her dad 50% of the time and he is present and active in her life so she would not have any reason to change her last name.

I'd never heard of someone doing that before. I can most certainly see your reasoning for doing so.

Proof that the biological father doesn't have to be in your life to turn out to be a super good person. I"m glad to hear your little one's dad is involved, good for you.

Thanks for sharing.

And also ... at least back in the 70's and in the state of Arizona I was NOT able to do so before I turned 16 without the permission of my father.  For 3 years we had a lawyer send letters to any known address .. family, friends, and they always came back unopened.  This frustrated my mother because she knew I wanted to get rid of his last name and the law said "no".  The court would still not allow me to change my name. 

I can understand the law being that way IF the father is involved. A just law would provide an exception for those who are/were in a similar situation as you.

At 16 it no longer mattered.  I never understood the logic of that but was happy it was finally granted. That day, even though I was old enough AND we had made numerous attempts to find him with no luck, the judge said to me,  "you do realize it is a man's god given right to know if his child is changing their name" ... I said to him "is it a man's god given right to abandon his child and not pay child support as well?" ....  he signed the papers.

Judge not too bright, understanding and/or compassionate it sounds. (but then most of them are lawyers)

Any new pit viper pics?

2009-05-16 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2154441

2009-05-16 2:10 PM

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Depends. Does "your friend" qualify as a "maiden"?

Doubt it. "She" might be stuck

Edited by pitt83 2009-05-16 2:10 PM

2009-05-16 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2155047

2009-05-17 12:26 PM

Expert
Central New Jersey
My husband's colelge roomate hated his last name, sounded "too Jewish" swore when he got married he would take his wife's name. Guess what, her name sounded even more "Jewish" than his. They picked a name they both liked and changed both their last names. It is an option. Depends on how much trouble and aggrevation she is willing to go to over a name
2009-05-18 2:22 AM
in reply to: #2155906

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
wwlani - 2009-05-17 1:26 PM

My husband's colelge roomate hated his last name, sounded "too Jewish" swore when he got married he would take his wife's name. Guess what, her name sounded even more "Jewish" than his. They picked a name they both liked and changed both their last names. It is an option. Depends on how much trouble and aggrevation she is willing to go to over a name

One of my college profs combined his last name with hers to make up a new name. Neither of them wanted hyphenated, but neither of them wanted only one of their names. I thought it was a cool compromise.

I changed my first name when I turned 18. I said heck no to changing my last name. My spouse didn't want to, either. Course, it woulda been kinda weird if we'd had the same last name. But I digress...

My brothers- and sister-in-law all changed their names BEFORE my mother-in-law changed hers. They were all-too-happy to get any vestige of the ba$tard their father had become out of their lives. They were in high school and college. My former spouse, however, kept her father's last name. Actually caused some tension because her siblings wanted her on "their" side. Long, long, LONG story there, but they came around to understand her reasoning. My BFF's kids at 4 and 8 are happy with a hyphenated name after the whole family (mom, dad, and the kids) sat down a talked about it for awhile. Besides, it gives them fun names/initials.

Your friend should try to consider what she would be comfortable being called in ten years (presuming she hasn't remarried). And if she decides to change it, definitely put it in the divorce papers.
2009-05-18 7:38 AM
in reply to: #2155906

Master
Southern Ontario
wwlani - 2009-05-17 12:26 PM My husband's colelge roomate hated his last name, sounded "too Jewish" swore when he got married he would take his wife's name. Guess what, her name sounded even more "Jewish" than his. They picked a name they both liked and changed both their last names. It is an option. Depends on how much trouble and aggrevation she is willing to go to over a name

I have friends that did this.  I thought it was incredibly cool!!

I never changed my name - but in your friend's case I think she should change it back if that's what she feels.  Kids don't get hung up on that sort of thing.  I would say probably half of my class has parents with different last names. 
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » WwCOJD? - Name Change Rss Feed  

of 2