Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 75/254
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00AM. Took 2 Benadryl to keep down the allergic reaction I was having to the antibiotic I was on for an infected foot. The Benadryl made me sleepy and I was moving around the house slow. Wrapped my toe and foot well. Hubby was ready & waiting for me. Ate a protein bar and banana in the car. Since we had a late start we had to drive around for parking. Finally parked and walked to the start. Stood in line for the port-a-potty and found Tom. Headed to the start line. It was so crowded. Started back by the 10:00min mile sign. Tried to move up, but it was packed. Didn't have hardly any time before the start.
Event warmup:

A light rain at the race start, but it stopped early on.
Run
  • 4h 08m 31s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt very slow and sluggish at the race start. The Benadryl was kicking my butt! The original plan (December) was Tom was going to pace me for a 3:45:00. Well, sciatic nerve pain led to a cut back on running. When I was recovering frm that I got hit with MRSA infection on my foot. I did not run enough to meet this goal. The ball of my foot was still very sore for the infection. I had it well wrapped, but by mile 15 it was REALLY hurting!!! I had to walk for a minute or so around mile 17 and then again around mile 22. I was hoping to go a 4:00:00, but knew even that was unlikely. I had told Tom at the start that he didn't need to run with me since I didn't need to be paced, but he stayed with me. It was nice to have someone to talk with and help keep my mind off my foot.

The race was fun! Even with the rain early on, there were tons of people lining the streets. It was great! The early part of the race went by fast. WE were across the river in Kentucky and then back in Ohio again before I knew it. This part of the race was crowded. It was hard to keep pace due to the people. Once we were back in Cincy I saw Andy. The hills are around miles 6-8. They didn't seem too tough this year. I know my pace slowed down, but they were not too bad. Again, the crowds were great. The 1/2 and whole marathon split at mile 9. This is where we all had more room. Only one other hill later in the race. Had a great time.
What would you do differently?:

Run faster. :-)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around in the "pig pen". Called Tammy to see about her race. Had some water, but wasn't too hungry.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sore foot. Not enough training (running).

Last updated: 2009-02-01 12:00 AM
Running
04:08:31 | 26.2 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 75/254
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: hilly
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]