United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 45m 14s
Overall Rank = 5th/N/A
Age Group = N/A
Age Group Rank = 0/0
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off @ 1:43 AM. I was driving down with a neighbor, and we were planning on leaving from his house by 2:20-2:30. I made some coffee, had a banana, and PB&J, then got out of the house. We left his house by 2:25 and were on our way. Got to Huntsville right @ 5:00. The race started at 6 so we had some time to burn. We grabbed our packets, changed, and fiddled around. Walked around to find the starting line (in the dark) and realized the starting line was a piece of electrical tape on the street. Awesome.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warm up for 50K. Stood at the "electrical tape" starting line while they fiddled around with the clock. Some guy said when I say "GO" start running. All 90 or so of us lined up and the guy said "GO!" and we all started running. Awesome. It started about 15mins late @ 6:15 so we didnt need our flashlights after all.
Run
  • 4h 45m 14s
  • 31.07 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Like I said the guy shouted "GO" right around 6:15. The first half mile or so was on road until we hit the trail. I started off with my friend and we just kept it super easy. Once I was on the trail it was so great! I LOVED it from go. I quickly realized this was going to be totally different for me! The trail had lots of roots and things like that. I really had to keep my head up and pay attention to the trail.

At first I was trying to stay way too close to the guy I was running with. I couldn't really see the trail all that well when I was that close to him. We made it to the first little "Water only" aid station. This is where the jeep trail out and back section started. We took the left onto the trail and I immediately noticed that there we sections that had sand. Not just a bit of sand, but beach like sand. haha. Oh man.

It's A LOT different running when you're going back and forth on a trail dodging different elements. Ruts, sand, etc. This out and back section was horrible. It just kept going on and on. Finally we got to the entrance area to the park and took a left for a short section till the first actual aid station. (Something like 4 or so miles) My friend filled up his bottle and grabbed some food. We turned around and started heading back. The humidity was really pressing. Being so close to Houston and the gulf sucks. It wasn't too hot yet but easily in the low 80s. I went shirtless so it wasn't too bad at any point. At the turn around I counted and we were in 10th and 11th places. We went back down the jeep road to the water only station and I refilled. I also took my first gel of 5 here. As soon as we got through the station the course went left off the jeep trail back onto single track.

I loved this section. It was gorgeous plus it had a few climbs. Running through the woods at 7am is awesome. Just felt like I nice easy training run. I passed my friend a little ways into this section and realized that he was falling back a bit. I just kept the pace I had and it felt fine. He kept falling back, so I just maintained my pace. The trail turned left onto a rough little single track section for about 20ft then fused with a jeep trail.

The jeep trail was a lot smoother than the first one. Headed down that till it went hard left then all the way down that section until the second aid station (man-ed) I got to the aid station and waited for my friend to catch up while I re-filled my bottle and had some HEED. He caught up, I waited for a minute or so, and we started up again. The jeep trail kinda turned back into a trail here and had a nice uphill climb w/ some decent rocks and roots. Climbed easily up that and started the next section. This area was all single track and very piney.

The trail went along a fence line for quite sometime. All the trees to my left had been recently burned. It was quite a sight to see. I noticed my friend had started falling back again so I just maintained pace. Took a right off this trail onto another single track and noticed he was a ways back now. At this point I started to pick up the pace a bit cause I wanted to catch the lady in front of me. I knew I was now in either 9th or 10th.

This section of the single track was probably the most technical, not to mention there was at least 5 miles btwn aid stations here. (Ugh) At one point I finally saw the woman up ahead. I pushed it a bit to catch her. Passed her, then I looked up and saw someone else! Of course w/ my type A personality I had to catch him too. I caught that guy and immediately passed the next guy. Up ahead I even saw one more guy! Took me another minute or so to pass him and i figured i was in about 6th place. This guy hung with me and we ran for quite sometime together. He was a real talker and it was awesome. He didnt speak great english... definitely better mexican :)

I found out his name was Juan Carlos, but his friends call him J.C. I also found out he worked at Pizza Hut, and he's run two 50 milers :) We finally came out of that rough single track area and came to another unmaned aid station. We crossed over a little wooden track after re filling and ran next to the river for awhile.

This section was flat, but seemed to slope a bit to the right. There were a lot of wooden plank bridges here to keep us off the swampy terrain, and away from the alligators. (seriously) He kept telling me all the different distances to the course cause he lives in Huntsville and had been running here for years. We got to the next aid station and refilled. JC told me that the finish was about 5K from here. I later found it was 2.86 miles.

This section to the finish was great. REALLY scenic with some great trees and awesome single track. We pushed the pace a bit here and I could tell I was going to be ahead of my 2:20 per lap goal pace. There were a few sandy spots on this trail but they weren't too bad. Soon we were out of that section and taking a right back to the finish. A volunteer told us to head right and that the finish was .9 down this trail. This time we were on the single track next to the road we had started on. About .5 from the finish I realized I really needed to boom boom.

We got to the finish and i hit my split @ 2:13 and some change. Damn. I may be able to break 4:40! Took a 3:00 boom boom break and got back on the trail for my second 15.5 mile loop :) JC had gone on and I really wanted to catch him. Since this was a .9 mile out and back section I got to see how far back my friend was. I said hey to him and quickly caught up w/ JC! We got to the end of the .9 section and took a right back over the road onto the single track that we had started on. JC Stayed right w/ me for maybe 4-5 minutes then dropped off. I guess he didn't like my pace anymore.

This is when I started running solo for quite awhile. Fatigue was starting to set in here and I could tell my pace was slowing a bit, I even walked a few steps when I'd hit some tough root/rock sections that were uphill. Finally I made it back to the maned H20 station. Refilled and was told I was in either 5th or 6th place. I started back up and headed down the oh so dreaded Jeep trail.

This thing sucked. I kept looking as far down it as I could but I couldn't see anyone. About halway down it first place passed, quickly followed by 2nd. They both looked great and I definitely didn't think they'd be bonking anytime soon. I finalllly came to the left turn by Highway 45 and made the short O&B to the first aid station. Stopped here for about a minute and refilled. Got right back on the trail. I quickly saw the guy behind me and he looked strong. Ugh.

I figured he'd be passing me soon. I made it back to the dreaded jeep trail and made my way back to the H20 station. I passed my friend coming the other way and realized he'd fallen back a bit more. When I got to the aid station I refilled again and walked for about 2 minutes here. The heat was really picking up and the humidity was outta control. Was soooper happy to take the right back onto the single track. I kept looking back for the guy chasing me but he wasn't anywhere to be seen. This section was pretty rough for me. I did the math and figured I was about 21 miles in. I started to feel like I was shuffling more than running.. but so be it.

Made it through that single track section after a few more 60 second walk breaks up small inclines and joined on with that smoother jeep trail. Just kept thinking about getting to that next aid station. Finally got there and hung out for about 2-3 minutes. There was a 25K'er there just hanging out. I grabbed 3-4 orange slices.. some pill... (Possibly an E-cap).. and refilled my bottle. I think I took some coke here too. I looked back as I was walking away from the station and I could see the guy chasing me pulling in. He stopped so I figured that would give me a min or so. Hit that small climb back into that piney area w/ the burnt trees. I just maintained my shuffle here and kept glancing back.

I could now see him less than 30yards behind me but he wasn't closing in. Made right onto another trail and he still wasn't gaining. At this point it was a little irritating because I felt like he was messing w/ me. After another mile or so I glanced back at him again and shouted "Hey! I need someone to talk to....Get up here" haha. We within a min or so he had caught up and I tried to strike up convo with him but he didn't take too well. I think he was actually trying to race. ha! Found out he was from Austin, etc, and a "middle distance" guy... whatever that means. I was like Dude... You're running a 50K. Off road. Hello.

We ran for a few miles or so and I noticed he was starting to fade back a bit! Awesome. :) I just picked up the pace just a bit and knew that un-manned H20 station was coming up soon enough. At this point I started passing a bunnnch of mtn bikers riding against us! Totally sucked. A bunch of kids on a single track trail on dinky walmart mtn bikes while I'm at mile 25-26. Finally made it to the H20 jug and refilled. That guy didn't catch up so I just kept going. I knew this section next to the river would be rough but if I could make it to the next station I'd be gravy.

Was passing quite a few 25Kers at this point and that felt good. Maintained my shuffle and just kept keeping an eye out for that next aid station. Finally got to it and spent WAY too much time there. Grabbed a few cups of coke and refilled my bottle all while chatting it up w/ the guys there. They let me know I was in 5th and definitely wasn't passing fourth unless she fell apart. That was fine w/ me! After about 3-4 mins I left that station and saw some woman looking STRONG coming the other way! Quickly followed by my Austinite friend. I knew that lady was on a mission and I really wanted my 5th place.

This is when I started pushing the pace hard. Definitely got down to 7:15-7:30 during this section. I was flying down the trail. I knew that lady would never be able to catch me at this pace. I didn't even look back. Before I knew it I was back at the right turn where the volunteer was. He told me .9 miles left and I knew I was almost done!!

Pushed the pace a little more and was feeling awesome. It was as though I was getting a second wind. Really gives me some hope for the 100K... I came to the left turn that would take me to the finish and was on cloud nine. Smiled for a few photos and ran through the parking lot. As I got to the finish area that guys asked for my bib number and told me to run all the way to the cone. I ran all the way to the cone/Electrical tape finish line and I was done.

31.07 miles. Done. :)

Easy Peasy.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing. Well... Maybe not spend too much time at the aid station...and probably not drink so much coffee before hand.
Post race
Warm down:

????

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Some pretty oppressive heat/humidity.

Event comments:

Great ultra. Granted it was my first and I wasn't too sure what to expect it was a good experience. I wish the post race had been a bit more... well... a bit more. Then again it was an ultra... with 80-90 or so people in it.. :)

Last updated: 2009-03-20 12:00 AM
Running
04:45:14 | 31.07 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/0
Overall: 5/N/A
Performance: Good
<b><u>First Lap:</b></u> 2:13:38 <b><u>Second Lap:</b></u> 2:28:34 Poop break btwn laps: 3:01
Course: Off road single track w/ sand, dirt, small rocks, lots of roots, and some jeep trail w/ more sand. 2 Loops of 15.5 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %N/A
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-18 10:53 PM

User image

Plano, Tx
Subject: Hogs Hunt 50K

2009-05-19 1:04 AM
in reply to: #2159831

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Hogs Hunt 50K

Dude.

Paragraphs.

Nice race! You could have 1st if you actually, I don't know, trained. But that's just crazy talk. It's sad that your mile 28-31 pace is pretty much my stand-alone 5k pace hahaha.

2009-05-19 9:48 AM

User image

Ferris, Texas

Excellent job Jacob...Great report.

2009-05-19 10:49 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Sweeeet! You rocked it!
2009-05-22 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Awesome run!  I could really see that course being difficult this time of year with the humidity.  Great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hogs Hunt 50K Rss Feed