General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM NA is being sued for death at IMFL Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2009-05-27 3:43 PM
in reply to: #2176542

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: RE: IM NA is being sued for death at IMFL

BrianK - 2009-05-27 3:33 PM
PennState - 2009-05-27 2:01 PM

bachorb - 2009-05-27 2:43 PM The lawsuit does seem silly but if it ultimately results in improved safety at events and more lives being saved then I can't really say I'm against it. If I have to pay $20 extra for a race entry fee in order to save someone's life, so be it. I'll live. I am not saying we don't all take a risk in doing this sport, but it's a shared risk on the part of the participants and the organizers.

I mean, fees would be really cheap if they just had NO lifeguards or divers and only let elite swimmers participate in tris. But who wants that? I cringe at all the people on here trying to pontificate about "personal responsibility" - who on here hasn't done something stupid, made a mistake or taken an unnecessary risk? Driving is incredibly dangerous and I know it, but every time I do it I am still thankful that I had to pay a few extra bucks for seatbelts and airbags.

Would you accept $1,000 for an IM? $1,500? What would be the limit. If (and that's a big IF) the plaintiffs were to win a large settlement or jury award, it could make it difficult for the race to obtain insurance. What would be the limit you would accept?

I would accept race organizers doing a better job to ensure the safety of the athletes.  If that means $2500, it means $2500.

http://www.waterwalkerz.com/

For that kind of cash, the above is my expectation.  I really wish I knew how to post a pic.  Little help someone?!?!  Can you define the parameters of a better job and what is adequate?  I really find the price point for the sake of safety a bit ridiculous and what to know what that gets me?  Really, I am all for some sensible look at procedures and all that jazz but have a feeling there is a point of diminishing returns that exceeds the true risks.  Its not like folks arent given any support at all.

2009-05-27 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2176293

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Figuring that the day would be measured in hours and not minutes and factoring in the gimpy arm from a recently healed collar bone break, I spotted my 2250+ friends :30 seconds at the start of IMFL ... and then ended up swimming through them for most of a lap.

To Dan's point, this was the option that I chose.  In hindsight I wish that I would have seeded myself appropraitely.  There are only a few knuckle heads out there that get physical in the water, everyone else just moves aside ... mostly becuase they figure that they can catch your feet!

Marvarnett - 2009-05-27 3:15 PM Regarding Mass starts:

You only get beat up if you want to get beat up.  Nothing says you can't wait a minute or two and wait for the washing machine to pass by.  It's your choice to seed yourself improperly and go at it toe to toe (wetsuit to wetsuit) with 2000+ of your best friends.

Case in point, at IM MOO the 'start line' extended all the way to the shore.  Start on the shore if you're worried.
2009-05-27 4:06 PM
in reply to: #2176416

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Motivated - 2009-05-27 2:55 PM

Another sign of the total wussification of our society.  Pretty soon, thanks to the bottom-feeding-pond-scum sucking attorneys who file these speculative lawsuits (and the greedy families who are looking to make a quick buck) we won't be able to tie our shoes without first signing a waiver of liability.  I absolutely loathe this kind of thing. 

Triathlon's have an inherent amount of risk built into them.  If you can't take the risk, don't race.  You know going in its a mass start, a long race, full of opportunity for injury.  I just pray to God that the judge throws this out.  Don't need a bunch of fat-as$'s in suits and wingtips ruining triathlon as we know it.

I feel badly for the family, with respect to their loss.  But, they're turning the loss into an opportunity for a quick buck, a jackpot based upon the very thing that makes this sport so attractive, the risk of not finishing.  Jack a$s' like these folks are going to ruin our sport.

Brian Moore, you should be embarrassed for brining this suit.  I'm sure your good friend, the late Mr. Barney Rice, is turning in his grave thanks to your actions.  I sure hope my family has more grace and honor when I'm dead and gone.

very well said Karl, I agree 100%.  And by reading the *sigh* responses of the lawyers on this board it seems the case won't be thrown out. Wave starts at most triathlons already changed the dynamics of the race . Last month St A cancelled their swim cuz the conditions were "rough" and they had a bad experience the year before (? maybe a few years ago) and my guess is that they cancelled not because it was really unsafe but because of liabilities issues.

And reading some of the responses of those that believe RDs should assure every single participant's safety; newsflash, Triathlons are dangerous! If that's too tough, you might be better off taking upon a more 'safe' hobby like collecting stamps or coins (to quote the bear)

Edited by JorgeM 2009-05-27 4:16 PM
2009-05-27 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2175921

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Tell us how you really feel, Karl. 

Regarding the bottom-feeding, pond scum-sucking, fat-a$$ attorneys in wingtips filing "speculative" lawsuits, let me play devil's advocate for a minute.

Assume the Rice family approached NAS/WTC and tried to get some information/answers regarding safety measures, medical team preparedness, etc, etc.  Assume further that NAS/WTC said nothing more than "We had adequate measures in place...sorry for your loss" and refused to give out any additional information.  How else could the family get that information than to seek legal assistance?  As ChrisM previously pointed out, the Court has already looked at the case, and has also considered an attempt by NAS/WTC to have the case dismissed, and the case is still moving forward.  That is at least a shred of evidence, in my mind, that the Plaintiffs have some legally viable theories to move forward with.

Do I like the fact that Rice died?  Nope.  Do I like the fact that a lawsuit has been filed?  Nope.  Do I think it could potentially damage our sport?  Probably not but who knows?  One thing I am certain of is that I am not in any position, even as an attorney, to judge the situation based only on the information that is available on message boards, etc.  The Court has obviously had much more information to look at, and has decided the case can go forward.

Edited by OldAg92 2009-05-27 4:11 PM
2009-05-27 4:23 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Motivated - 2009-05-27 3:55 PM

Another sign of the total wussification of our society.  Pretty soon, thanks to the bottom-feeding-pond-scum sucking attorneys who file these speculative lawsuits (and the greedy families who are looking to make a quick buck) we won't be able to tie our shoes without first signing a waiver of liability.  I absolutely loathe this kind of thing. 

Disclaimer: I'm an attorney (I'm a prosecutor though, and therefore make no money )

Who awards large sums in jury trials? JURYS
Who brings the claims? PLAINTIFFS

Yes, the lawyers facilitate, and the Code of Professional Responsibility dictates that an attorney should not file a claim in bad faith, but lawyers are not required to ONLY file claims for cases they are 100% certain they will prevail (sorry for that horrible sentence).

Lawyers have a job to do, and when a client presents a cause of action that that attorney things has a basis, the attorney should file the suit.

Without knowing all of the facts and without seeing the (extensive, I'm sure) discovery, I don't think we can say that the case is frivilous.  Maybe it is --- but maybe it's not.

Don't need a bunch of fat-as$'s in suits and wingtips ruining triathlon as we know it.

Not all lawyers are fat and wear wingtips.  (not even defense attorneys )

I'm so freaking sick of the lawyer bashing.
2009-05-27 4:23 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-05-27 4:31 PM

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA

Motivated - 2009-05-27 11:55 AM

...thanks to the bottom-feeding-pond-scum sucking attorneys...

I thought pond scum was the stuff that floated on top of the water.  So which is it are they bottom feeders or pond scum suckers? 

2009-05-27 4:33 PM
in reply to: #2176681

OldAg92 - 2009-05-27 2:10 PM

Regarding the bottom-feeding, pond scum-sucking, fat-a$$ attorneys in wingtips filing "speculative" lawsuits, let me play devil's advocate for a minute.

Assume the Rice family approached NAS/WTC and tried to get some information/answers regarding safety measures, medical team preparedness, etc, etc.  Assume further that NAS/WTC said nothing more than "We had adequate measures in place...sorry for your loss" and refused to give out any additional information.  How else could the family get that information than to seek legal assistance?  As ChrisM previously pointed out, the Court has already looked at the case, and has also considered an attempt by NAS/WTC to have the case dismissed, and the case is still moving forward.  That is at least a shred of evidence, in my mind, that the Plaintiffs have some legally viable theories to move forward with.

Do I like the fact that Rice died?  Nope.  Do I like the fact that a lawsuit has been filed?  Nope.  Do I think it could potentially damage our sport?  Probably not but who knows?  One thing I am certain of is that I am not in any position, even as an attorney, to judge the situation based only on the information that is available on message boards, etc.  The Court has obviously had much more information to look at, and has decided the case can go forward.

Obviously you feel that way Brandt, you're one of the pond scum.  I am quite certain that Karl and Jorge know everything there is to know about the facts of this case to be able to pass such judgments.  I mean, otherwise, they'd be,... well...  talking out of their a$$es, wouldn't they?  I mean, that doesn't happen does it????

Edited by ChrisM 2009-05-27 4:34 PM
2009-05-27 4:35 PM
in reply to: #2176714

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
bachorb - 2009-05-27 4:23 PM I would much rather have to read peoples' posts about the wussification of society and having to pay higher race fees than have to read about another fellow athlete dying.

Interesting tangent here - does anyone know what the data is on triathlon deaths across the pond in less-litigious Europe? Can anyone who's done a race there comment on swim safety precautions as compared to here?

I've done a couple in Europe and a couple in Asia. They look, feel and smell the same. Now, I didn't count lifeguards or anything, but the basics were in place just like here.
2009-05-27 4:42 PM

2009-05-27 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2176759

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
PennState - 2009-05-27 4:42 PM Let's stop the lawyer bashing. While those who know anything about me know how I feel about the political/legislative/judicial agenda of the plaintiff's bar...there is no benefit to the lawyer bashing, it's uncalled for. Why don't we stick to the issue of whether this suit will affect our sport in the future (for the better or the worse)?

Yeah, let's put the blame where it belongs: on the doctors!

2009-05-27 4:51 PM
in reply to: #2176738

Coach
Boston, MA
ChrisM - 2009-05-27 4:33 PM
OldAg92 - 2009-05-27 2:10 PM

Obviously you feel that way Brandt, you're one of the pond scum.  I am quite certain that Karl and Jorge know everything there is to know about the facts of this case to be able to pass such judgments.  I mean, otherwise, they'd be,... well...  talking out of their a$$es, wouldn't they?  I mean, that doesn't happen does it????

awwww did I hurt your feelings? As you can see on my post I bolded the sentiment it better represent my feelings  (Another sign of the total wussification of our society) hence I agreed with it. Also regardless of the words Karl chose I think there is a distinction on his statement:

Pretty soon, thanks to the bottom-feeding-pond-scum sucking attorneys who file these speculative lawsuits (and the greedy families who are looking to make a quick buck) we won't be able to tie our shoes without first signing a waiver of liability.  I absolutely loathe this kind of thing. 

They way I interpret it is that while lawyers have a job to do, not all are good or bad; like anything in life there are those who jump on this kind of lawsuits. I personally am not bashing all lawyers. Anyway, I don't know if the lawsuit is valid of not (although since it is heading for trial the judge most think there is something to it) as a triathlete knowing the dangers of the sport, knowing how every IM I've been present (racing/spectating) has provided adequate support and having been an RD of a small race at some point to me it makes no sense in particular for what you mentioned earlier: "conditions were such that the swim should have been cancelled off "for swimmers such as" the decedent..." really?
2009-05-27 4:53 PM

Champion
Northridge, California
Wait...this isn't COJ?  Oh...wow...it is Tri Talk...  Thought I'd stumbled into the wrong forum there for a minute...

Important topic...

Signal-to-noise predictably nosediving....
2009-05-27 4:54 PM
in reply to: #2176759

2009-05-27 5:03 PM
in reply to: #2176794

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
bachorb - 2009-05-27 2:54 PM . I personally think they should have some sort of qualifying system in place for people to do their first open water swim. I did an open water swim last week with the Manhattan Island Foundation, and in order to register I had to show proof that I had done at least one 1/2 mile open water swim previously. If you had never done an open water swim, you had to obtain a pool certification that you could swim a certain distance continiously. It's not much but a simple system like that could help save lives. At this point I am surprised they will just let anyone who can click a mouse to register do a tri. Maybe this lawsuit will change that, but that may not necessarily be a bad thing.

And yet, whenever anyone brings up the idea of a certification swim being necessary, people literally go off the deep end, talk about personal rights, legislation of leisure activity, etc.

As a long time fish, I am astonished and somewhat horrified when I watch the BOP area of a triathlon Oly distance or greater.

As an example, at the Tempe International triathlon this month, it was NON wetsuit legal for the first time. I mean we are talking about a man made basin, rectangular, flat, about as tame an OWS as you can get. There were a few dozen people that elected NOT TO START because it wasn't wetsuit legal. A few took the "no time" and swam in their wetsuit anyway.

Of those that did start, there were many bailouts, one of which was within 100m of the start. 100m.

But dare suggest to any of those people that there should be a qualification standard in place, and stand back away from the eruption.

John
2009-05-27 5:12 PM

Master
Marietta, Ga
To stereotype, lawyers sure are a sensitive bunch.  I did not call "all" lawyers bottom feeding scum suckers, just those that file speculative lawsuits such as the one named in this thread.  Every profession (term used loosely) has its share of low life's.  There are good lawyers and bad ones.  I was not "lawyer bashing".  I was bashing those that bring frivilous lawsuits, which in this case inculdes the attorney and the family friend.  So, my BT bretheren can rest assured their reputations are intact, that the dignity of their profession has not been questioned.

Have you ever looked at a new extension cord in Home Depot or Lowes?  On the last one I purchased, I counted 14 warning labels.  Sure enough, some moron will lick the end one day, get electrocuted and it'll result in a lawsuit, a huge jury award, and yet another sticker to avoid licking extension cords.  I just think its beyond absurd.  Extension cords cost a fortune thanks to all of this litigation. 

Now, I also believe that there are genuinely valid product liability suits brought before the courts.  But, cases such as this are just astounding.

I could be wrong.

Edited by Motivated 2009-05-27 5:17 PM

2009-05-27 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2176815

2009-05-27 5:17 PM
in reply to: #2176787

awwww did I hurt your feelings? As you can see on my post I bolded the sentiment it better represent my feelings  (Another sign of the total wussification of our society) hence I agreed with it. Also regardless of the words Karl chose I think there is a distinction on his statement:

Pretty soon, thanks to the bottom-feeding-pond-scum sucking attorneys who file these speculative lawsuits (and the greedy families who are looking to make a quick buck) we won't be able to tie our shoes without first signing a waiver of liability.  I absolutely loathe this kind of thing. 

They way I interpret it is that while lawyers have a job to do, not all are good or bad; like anything in life there are those who jump on this kind of lawsuits. I personally am not bashing all lawyers. Anyway, I don't know if the lawsuit is valid of not (although since it is heading for trial the judge most think there is something to it) as a triathlete knowing the dangers of the sport, knowing how every IM I've been present (racing/spectating) has provided adequate support and having been an RD of a small race at some point to me it makes no sense in particular for what you mentioned earlier: "conditions were such that the swim should have been cancelled off "for swimmers such as" the decedent..." really?

No, you didn't hurt my feelings.  We don't have any, remember?

As far is cherry picking what you agreed and didn't agree with Karl about, I'll let your own words speak for themselves.

"very well said Karl, I agree 100%."

Yet you now say you don't know whether the lawsuit is valid or not.... hmmmm.... just what Brandt and I said originally.  Interesting, that

ETA - btw, I've got no issue with lawyer bashing, doesn't bother me in the least.  The point of my post, if you care to know it, was that you and Karl have become judge, jury and executioner with respect to this lawsuit about which you've read, what, 5 paragraphs on the 'net?   I could only wish to be as smart as that.  I jsut went back and re-read Karl's post and, to be honest, it's a little disgusting, the reasons he gave for why the family is suing.  Again, he can call lawyers wahtever he wants, but to call the surviving family those things is over the top.

But, I could be wrong

Edited by ChrisM 2009-05-27 5:20 PM
2009-05-27 5:22 PM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Typically not a good idea to "argue" with a lawyer as they are trained to do that .... that's why so many politicians are lawyers ... Money mouth
2009-05-27 5:38 PM

Pro
Burbs
Motivated - 2009-05-27 3:55 PM

Triathlon's have an inherent amount of risk built into them.  If you can't take the risk, don't race.  You know going in its a mass start, a long race, full of opportunity for injury.  I just pray to God that the judge throws this out.  Don't need a bunch of fat-as$'s in suits and wingtips ruining triathlon as we know it.

I feel badly for the family, with respect to their loss.  But, they're turning the loss into an opportunity for a quick buck, a jackpot based upon the very thing that makes this sport so attractive, the risk of not finishing.  Jack a$s' like these folks are going to ruin our sport.

Brian Moore, you should be embarrassed for brining this suit.  I'm sure your good friend, the late Mr. Barney Rice, is turning in his grave thanks to your actions.  I sure hope my family has more grace and honor when I'm dead and gone.

1. You know what has an inherent risk?  Cars.  ... and I bet you - or at least most people - would sue the crap out of a car company for making a car with a serious defect that caused a death.

2. I think it's interesting that you know the family's intentions.

3. Also interesting: that you are ready to have this case thrown out after reading a story ... did you even read the entire pleading?  have you received discovery? conducted your own? held dispositions?  interviewed experts? interviewed witnesses?

4. I don't know if this case has any merit -- maybe it's totally ridiculous.  Maybe the family is just out to make "a quick buck" off of a loved one's death ---- but I do know this: without more information NONE OF US are able to make a decision.
2009-05-27 5:44 PM
in reply to: #2176842

Coach
Boston, MA
ChrisM - 2009-05-27 5:17 PM

No, you didn't hurt my feelings.  We don't have any, remember?

As far is cherry picking what you agreed and didn't agree with Karl about, I'll let your own words speak for themselves.

"very well said Karl, I agree 100%."

Yet you now say you don't know whether the lawsuit is valid or not.... hmmmm.... just what Brandt and I said originally.  Interesting, that

ETA - btw, I've got no issue with lawyer bashing, doesn't bother me in the least.  The point of my post, if you care to know it, was that you and Karl have become judge, jury and executioner with respect to this lawsuit about which you've read, what, 5 paragraphs on the 'net?   I could only wish to be as smart as that.  I jsut went back and re-read Karl's post and, to be honest, it's a little disgusting, the reasons he gave for why the family is suing.  Again, he can call lawyers wahtever he wants, but to call the surviving family those things is over the top.

But, I could be wrong
are you also a psychic cuz you sure make a lot of assumptions in what, 2 posts I made? I am not cherry picking, still next time I'll make my post 100% clear for you. But I am not surpised with your response, it is not the 1st time nor it will be the last time you do that...

ANYWAY, as I said IMO the lawsuit seems bogus based on what I mentioned above. I don't need to read the entire case to have an opinion about it, yes it would help to know all the information to formulate a better one. Still I remember a lawsuit about a lady suing MD for hot coffee and reminds me how people (lawyers/plantiffs) can take advantage of the system for personal gain and how personal accountability is a dissapearing concept.

I remember reading about the story a few years ago and IIRC the guy got in trouble on the 2nd loop of the swim (I think towards the end of the swim?), he was brought back to the beach, got attention from EMS and the victim actually was alive when he arrived to the hospital. Now don't quote me 100% on that, I am going by memory here but if that's what happend I personally have a hard time understanding what else does WTC/NAS could have done...

2009-05-27 5:51 PM
in reply to: #2176896

But I am not surpised with your response, it is not the 1st time nor it will be the last time you do that...

Interesting debate tactic to take it personal Jorge.  have a good one, I'm out

Edited by ChrisM 2009-05-27 5:58 PM
2009-05-27 6:01 PM
in reply to: #2176076

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
jsklarz - 2009-05-27 11:08 AM

KSH - 2009-05-27 1:31 PM..... Finally... I would like to see better swim starts for IM's. The mass swim start w/2,000+ people is just dangerous and lends to people being hurt and possibly killed. If people are spread out more, they have more a chance of getting away from a crowd and not being beaten silly while trying to swim.

First, any death like this is tragic and none of us should judge why the family is suing.

Second, we can look at the merits of the case and the methodology for analyzing the case.  In this regard, I'll make 2 lawyer comments (if nothing else to play devil's advocate) and then shut up: the above statement is true and may be a valid reason for finiding negligence (which is a violation of a reasonable standard of care).  Thus, the judge (and perhaps a jury) will need to determine whether the start method is reasonable under the circumstances (i.e. why no wave starts, etc.).  Also, the doctrine of "assumption of the risk" has largely been replaced with a doctrine called "comparative negligence" whereby the victim's wrongful conduct is weighed against the perpetrator's (tortfeasor) conduct.  In Connecticut if one's one misconduct is more than 50%, you don't recover.  Sorry to be lawyer guy, but there is a case here: mass starts with thousands of people are dangerous and known to be so.  Wave starts reduce the risk and there is a substantial question as to why wave starts are not done in large events like these.  

Fire away.

Well said, and in CA we have similar laws. I'm not sure I agree with Chris that you can waive negligent conduct in this state, but I would love to see the citation for that since my clients would love it. If you breach the standard of care, then you are liable. It applies to all of us for the most part in CA. This is not a frivlous lawsuit if the race officials breached the appropriate standard of care. I'm not a PI lawyer either, but if you knew or should have known that someone could get hurt by a condition, didn't take reasonable steps to prevent it (as opposed to any/every possible step), then you are liable for your conduct.
2009-05-27 6:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
I just had a thought. And I have not had time to read all the responses here or the original posting, but does it say the family is sueing for money and how much? Could it be that they are sueing in order to get stricter regulations and requirements at Iron Man events to keep this from happening to someone else? IF I was doing an IM and I died due to some form of preventable negligence (again I don't even know if this case falls into that category) I might want my family to make a stink to get it changed so it never happened to someone again.

But for Money though...I would not want them to sue for that.
2009-05-27 6:19 PM
in reply to: #2176912

Pro
Burbs
bel83 - 2009-05-27 7:05 PM I just had a thought. And I have not had time to read all the responses here or the original posting, but does it say the family is sueing for money and how much? Could it be that they are sueing in order to get stricter regulations and requirements at Iron Man events to keep this from happening to someone else? IF I was doing an IM and I died due to some form of preventable negligence (again I don't even know if this case falls into that category) I might want my family to make a stink to get it changed so it never happened to someone again.

But for Money though...I would not want them to sue for that.

They are suing for $15K, if I remember correctly.  It struck me as a low amount.

You can't really sue for an "injunction" unless there is no other remedy .. I think... ... I need a civil attorney to jump in here.

Plus, the courts do not have the authority, I don't think, to order a governing body to make changes to its laws.

(Courts aren't supposed to legislate - just interpret law and apply)

Edited by trishie 2009-05-27 6:21 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM NA is being sued for death at IMFL Rss Feed  

of 9