Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 25m 33s
Overall Rank = n/a/
Age Group = n/a
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed well-hydrated the day before. Happened to wake up at 3am that morning so I had some cereal and went back to sleep.
Event warmup:

For my first century? Surely you jest.
Bike
  • 6h 25m 33s
  • 92.5 miles
  • 14.40 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a fun ride, not a race. As well, it was my first century so the goal was to just make it through to the end. My longest ride prior to this was 60 miles and I was fine the first 60 miles. Miles 64-81 were kind of tough but I got my second wind at 81. That last until about mile 90, when I just wanted off the bike. I'm sure my next century will be easier. I was pleased that I could ride out of the saddle at will all through the ride, even the last overpass before the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Go faster next year.
Post race
Warm down:

I set my bike down, took off my shoes, wandered over to the food, bought a chicken wrap, and sat down for some food. I was not as incredibly hungry as I thought I would be. Nor as thirsty. Chalk it up to good nutrition on the bike, I suppose (8 150-cal gels and water to go with them plus three bananas and an orange or two).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've only been riding since last August.

Event comments:

Great course, well-marked, perfect weather. Plenty of aid stations. I'll try and do this again next year. Hopefully they'll have the century really be 100 miles.

Last updated: 2009-05-18 12:00 AM
Biking
06:25:33 | 92.5 miles | 14.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
I thought I forgot to turn the Garmin on after one of the rest stops but another participant's log also said the course was short. Almost my first century.
Wind: Little
Course: The course was part dedicated bike path, part industrial zone streets, complete with diagonal train tracks. While that could be rough, I did have to bunny hop over a few things on the bike path, too. It started off with two hilly loops through Griffith Park (should have been three to get us closer to a full century). As we got closer to the ocean there was a mild headwind that was cooling so it was welcome. It turned into a tailwind on the way back, which was even more welcome. The day was so mild that I don't think I dripped sweat the whole ride. Also, I only went through two water bottles and I was well-hyrdated. Overall, a very fun course.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-10 10:23 PM

User image

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.
Subject: Los Angeles River Ride - Century

2009-06-15 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2209233

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: Los Angeles River Ride - Century
Close enough...call it a century (or maybe a "century"...with the quotes).  Good job...over 90 miles in the saddle is an achievement no matter how you look at it.

Hope to see you out there at a future event.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles River Ride - Century Rss Feed