General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marine Corps Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2009-06-13 6:48 PM

User image

Subject: Marine Corps Marathon : Official Thread

This will be my first time doing the MCM.  How about others?  Why are you doing it?  I am doing it as a way to honor my son.  He will be on his second deployment and in Afganistan when I'll be doing the MCM. 

2009-06-13 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2215594

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon : Official Thread
Will be my first marathon, should be fun.
2009-06-14 6:44 AM

A little early, but it will be my first marathon as well. Was supposed to run it last year but had to back out a few weeks prior due to injury. Let's hope that I can make it through this one healthy - currently have a minor nagging ankle thing that I hope does not turn into anything worse. Might have to rest it for a week or two - luckily, I started training a little early. Crossing fingers...

2009-06-14 6:55 AM

User image

this year will be my 5th time running the MCM.  its a terrific race with a horrible finish.  be ready to stand around for 15 minutes+ working through the crowd at the end if you finish after the 4:00 mark.  its a bummer, but the course is great and the crowds are huge.
2009-06-14 7:01 AM
in reply to: #2215961

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
jinxproof1996 - 2009-06-14 6:55 AM this year will be my 5th time running the MCM.  its a terrific race with a horrible finish.  be ready to stand around for 15 minutes+ working through the crowd at the end if you finish after the 4:00 mark.  its a bummer, but the course is great and the crowds are huge.

Haha sounds like all the big races in this area, so should be used to it by now.
2009-06-14 7:07 AM
in reply to: #2215968

User image

sdalessio - 2009-06-14 8:01 AM
jinxproof1996 - 2009-06-14 6:55 AM this year will be my 5th time running the MCM.  its a terrific race with a horrible finish.  be ready to stand around for 15 minutes+ working through the crowd at the end if you finish after the 4:00 mark.  its a bummer, but the course is great and the crowds are huge.

Haha sounds like all the big races in this area, so should be used to it by now.

its sooo far beyond any of that.  i mean people passing out left and right, unable to walk more than 2 feet per minute.  the biggest bottleneck for 30,000 people to funnel through ever.  they've done alot to try to fix it over the last few years to no avail.  i just mentioned it because anyone that hasn't run it should be prepared.  like i said, if you finish after 4hrs flat, its a bummer.  i thought it was worse that the race.  (i finish in about 4:30).

2009-06-14 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2215971

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
jinxproof1996 - 2009-06-14 8:07 AM

its sooo far beyond any of that.  i mean people passing out left and right, unable to walk more than 2 feet per minute.  the biggest bottleneck for 30,000 people to funnel through ever.  they've done alot to try to fix it over the last few years to no avail.  i just mentioned it because anyone that hasn't run it should be prepared.  like i said, if you finish after 4hrs flat, its a bummer.  i thought it was worse that the race.  (i finish in about 4:30).

I didn't think it was that bad.  On par with a lot of other big races that I've done.  Waiting for the metro after was worse than the actual finish line.
2009-06-14 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2216068

User image

Artemis - 2009-06-14 9:48 AM
jinxproof1996 - 2009-06-14 8:07 AM

I didn't think it was that bad.  On par with a lot of other big races that I've done.  Waiting for the metro after was worse than the actual finish line.

yeah, i wasn't even thinking of the metro line.  jesus.....not that was bad.

BUT i still recommend this race to anyone especially beginners.  the downsides are few and the race is very well organized and is fairly flat.  100,000's of spectators.....unbelievable really.  i'll be there again this year like always...
2009-06-14 1:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Hope this doesn't stray too far off the thread.  The MCM10K is the same day.  Am thinking of doing that, as running a marathon is a long way off yet for me.

2009-06-14 9:50 PM

User image

Expert
This will be my third time running MCM and my 4th marathon. I love this race. Yeah, the metro lines are bad but since I finish WAY after the 4:00 mark the crowds at the end aren't really all that bad!
2009-06-15 8:03 AM

Ugh, I am not looking forward to the whole metro situation. I know it's impossible to get cars close to the finish area, though my parents are probably going to come down to see me run. Perhaps we can find a midpoint to put the car, so I can at least hobble to it, and then get driven the rest of the way home

YAY!!! I'm so excited...and it's still 19 weeks away.

2009-06-15 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2217656

User image

Champion
wurkit_gurl - 2009-06-15 9:03 AM

Ugh, I am not looking forward to the whole metro situation. I know it's impossible to get cars close to the finish area, though my parents are probably going to come down to see me run. Perhaps we can find a midpoint to put the car, so I can at least hobble to it, and then get driven the rest of the way home

LoL, you and I can hobble together, mile 3 goes right by my house, so trying to figure out a way to get away from the finish for my wife to come pick me up.  I actually live too close this time, going to another metro station just puts me further away from home.

My plan starts in 3 weeks, woo hoo!
2009-06-15 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2217660

dalessit - 2009-06-15 9:05 AM

LoL, you and I can hobble together, mile 3 goes right by my house, so trying to figure out a way to get away from the finish for my wife to come pick me up.  I actually live too close this time, going to another metro station just puts me further away from home.

Yeah, the race is NOWHERE near my house. I am near WFC, but I will probably dump my car there and metro in. I've got a few months to figure it out though

2009-06-16 10:08 AM

User image

San Tan Valley, AZ
It's my first marathon and I am excited. My older brother is a Chief Warrant Office 3 in the Corp and My Dad served in Vietnam as a Marine. I think this race is a good way for me to stay in shape and honor those serving for us in the military. For a first marathon how better than in DC with the USMC.

Semper Fi
2009-06-16 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2218228

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
wurkit_gurl - 2009-06-15 11:23 AM

Yeah, the race is NOWHERE near my house. I am near WFC, but I will probably dump my car there and metro in. I've got a few months to figure it out though

Metro suggestion: If you have to change trains at Rosslyn, you are better off going one stop up and transferring at the next one.  Rosslyn is really crazy!

Last year, I was coming in on the orange line and transferred to blue at GWU.  Much easier to get a train there.
2009-06-16 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2221209

User image

Champion
Artemis - 2009-06-16 11:57 AM

Metro suggestion: If you have to change trains at Rosslyn, you are better off going one stop up and transferring at the next one.  Rosslyn is really crazy!

Last year, I was coming in on the orange line and transferred to blue at GWU.  Much easier to get a train there.

I am just going to HTFU and run the 5 or so miles back to my house after the race.

2009-06-16 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2221209

Ah, that's a good tip - yeah, I imagine Rosslyn will be a ZOO.

2009-06-16 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2221245

dalessit - 2009-06-16 12:06 PM

I am just going to HTFU and run the 5 or so miles back to my house after the race.

Hehe, after 26.2, what's another 5?

2009-06-17 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2216435

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
hip82 - 2009-06-14 2:34 PM Hope this doesn't stray too far off the thread.  The MCM10K is the same day.  Am thinking of doing that, as running a marathon is a long way off yet for me.

I've signed up for the 10k. I have NO idea how to get to the start or from the finish, trying to figure out what to tell the family spectators. 
2009-06-18 1:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
I just got an email from the MCM people, and one thing I noticed on the website was this:

HEADPHONES AND IPODS
The MCM follows USA Track and Field rules regarding the use of headphones and other equipment on the MCM course.
Rule 144, Section 3B has recently been amended and now states: The following shall be considered assistance and therefore not allowed: (f) The visible possession or use by athletes of video, audio, or communications devices in the competition area. The Games Committee for an LDR (long distance running) event may allow the use of portable listening devices not capable of receiving communication; however, those competing in Championships for awards, medals, or prize money may not use such devices.

What's everyones thoughts on this?  Yes no?  I feel like there will be too much going on to really worry about an iPod, but 4+ hours is a darn long time to be out there.
2009-06-18 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2227163

strostertag - 2009-06-18 2:23 PM I just got an email from the MCM people, and one thing I noticed on the website was this:

HEADPHONES AND IPODS
The MCM follows USA Track and Field rules regarding the use of headphones and other equipment on the MCM course.
Rule 144, Section 3B has recently been amended and now states: The following shall be considered assistance and therefore not allowed: (f) The visible possession or use by athletes of video, audio, or communications devices in the competition area. The Games Committee for an LDR (long distance running) event may allow the use of portable listening devices not capable of receiving communication; however, those competing in Championships for awards, medals, or prize money may not use such devices.

What's everyones thoughts on this?  Yes no?  I feel like there will be too much going on to really worry about an iPod, but 4+ hours is a darn long time to be out there.

Hmm...never having run a marathon before, I can't say for sure. I did a half marathon without music, and mentally, it was a piece of cake (mmm...cake). Granted a marathon is double that distance, but I think if you've trained for it properly, there will be enough other stuff to focus on, like people around you, the scenery (HOT Marines on the course, for the ladies ), and other stuff to keep you focused. I do all of my long runs with music if I'm alone, but I have yet to do any races with them. And I intend to be iPod-less for the marathon as well. Besides, it's SUCH a huge field that they can't enforce this one and they probably know that.

2009-06-18 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2227203

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
wurkit_gurl - 2009-06-18 1:34 PM

strostertag - 2009-06-18 2:23 PM I just got an email from the MCM people, and one thing I noticed on the website was this:

HEADPHONES AND IPODS

Hmm...never having run a marathon before, I can't say for sure. I did a half marathon without music, and mentally, it was a piece of cake (mmm...cake). Granted a marathon is double that distance, but I think if you've trained for it properly, there will be enough other stuff to focus on, like people around you, the scenery (HOT Marines on the course, for the ladies ), and other stuff to keep you focused. I do all of my long runs with music if I'm alone, but I have yet to do any races with them. And I intend to be iPod-less for the marathon as well. Besides, it's SUCH a huge field that they can't enforce this one and they probably know that.

I was the same way, I ran a half without music and it was fine, but I feel like some of those late miles might go by quicker if I've got some music to take my mind off the pain.  What I'll probably do is throw it in my pocket and if I need it then I'll use it, but if not, no biggie, it's not like it weighs very much anyway.  Agreed, I'm hoping for some nice pace booty. 

Speaking of pace, are you signing up for a pace team?
2009-06-18 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2227246

strostertag - 2009-06-18 2:49 PM I was the same way, I ran a half without music and it was fine, but I feel like some of those late miles might go by quicker if I've got some music to take my mind off the pain.  What I'll probably do is throw it in my pocket and if I need it then I'll use it, but if not, no biggie, it's not like it weighs very much anyway.  Agreed, I'm hoping for some nice pace booty. 

Speaking of pace, are you signing up for a pace team?

Not sure yet - have to see what happens with training. My goal is go under 5-hours. But not sure how I'm gonna pace it yet, except starting a little on the slow side so I don't go out too fast and blow up. I like the idea of a pace team, but it'll depend on where my training is at and what pace the teams are on.

2009-06-18 2:49 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Wow, I'm excited to see a thread about this race already! I'm really looking forward to this race. I love DC and have some friends and family there, so I thought this would be a great way to see the city and come for a visit.

For the iPod rules...I've run Houston twice. It's a much smaller field then MCM and I imagine there are more spectators at MCM too. The first year in Houston the crowds kept me plenty amused until mile 23 where I bonked and the crowds thinned out. At that point I put on my mp3 player until mile 25 when I took it off. There was no way I was missing the last mile of my first marathon! This year's marathon was much hotter and much more of a suffer-fest. However, just the thought of putting on the mp3 player sounded like too much work so I did the whole race without it. The crowds were better this year and there were more runners around me, so it wasn't a problem at all. I always carry it with me for the comfort of knowing I can use it if I want to, but quite honestly I used it for a grand total of 2 miles.
2009-06-18 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2227419

erin116 - 2009-06-18 3:49 PM Wow, I'm excited to see a thread about this race already! I'm really looking forward to this race. I love DC and have some friends and family there, so I thought this would be a great way to see the city and come for a visit. For the iPod rules...I've run Houston twice. It's a much smaller field then MCM and I imagine there are more spectators at MCM too. The first year in Houston the crowds kept me plenty amused until mile 23 where I bonked and the crowds thinned out. At that point I put on my mp3 player until mile 25 when I took it off. There was no way I was missing the last mile of my first marathon! This year's marathon was much hotter and much more of a suffer-fest. However, just the thought of putting on the mp3 player sounded like too much work so I did the whole race without it. The crowds were better this year and there were more runners around me, so it wasn't a problem at all. I always carry it with me for the comfort of knowing I can use it if I want to, but quite honestly I used it for a grand total of 2 miles.

I'm already creating a mental game plan in my head as to how to break up the race, if I need distractions. Things to focus on during those last 6.2 miles esp, when things will get hard. Running in downtown DC isn't bad cuz there's lots of stuff to look at, and I imagine there will be TONS of people. Haine's Point is a little barren, since there are no spectators down there from what I've heard, and it's kind of a boring loop to run. But I know the changed the course, to put that section earlier on in the race, so that might help? It's miles 12 to 15 now, I think, instead of 15 to 18. Thankfully, I've run on Haine's Point a million times. Worst comes to worst, I can just run to each hot Marine stationed along the course

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marine Corps Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 6