General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The mental game of Ironman Training and IM itself Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-06-25 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Land of Mickey-Orlando
Subject: The mental game of Ironman Training and IM itself
Its been awhile since I posted here but I am a lurker. I comment a little but I felt the need to address this fear I am having about IM Florida.

I have DNF'ed at Ironman Florida before...so I do know what the swim is like...and half the bike...but I guess I am doubting my training and basically my abilities. I understand that the mental side of the sport is equally as important as the physical conditioning

I guess my question to all you IM vets is: How do you get your mental head right in your IM preparation? Please share ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING that you use on the road..on a ride or in you the swim that keeps you motivated and focused on your goal. Tell me what you do during mile 18 of the run when you feel like you are going to DIE that keeps you moving. I am open to all comments as I am DETERMINED to complete this race this year!!

I thank you in advance for your suggestions!!

2009-06-25 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2242746

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: The mental game of Ironman Training and IM itself
I am no IM vet; however, I am training for my first IM.

I would say first forget about the DNF at IMFL. Just wipe it clean from the memory banks. It can only get in your head and cause more issues. Start from a clean slate.

Next, I would definitely figure out "Why you want to be an Ironman". Get that reason nailed down, then use it. Use it during training when times get tough, use it during the race for the reason to keep pushing forward.

Get dailed into your training plan, and trust in it. That way, when you toe the line you KNOW you are ready.

Your body can do it, but you mind has to will it.
2009-06-25 12:38 PM

User image

Master

Disclaimer: I have not done an IM yet. 

IMO this is an excellent book. It shows you how to set effective goals and identify psychological factors that can limit your performance on race day.  

The Triathlete's Guide to Mental Training by Jim Taylor Ph.D & Terri Schneider

The Triathlete’s Guide to Mental Training will help multisport athletes identify and overcome the psychological barriers that the mind places on athletic ability with practical information and skills that will ultimately lead to better performance.

2009-06-25 12:43 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I have my first IM in 5 ish weeks, so not a vet here.  All the races I have been in have been mostly the training and then keeping appropriately hydrated and fuled during the event.  The last 3 miles of a full mary and the last 2 miles of a HIM in temps that got to 105F definately tapped into that mental toughness.  But, the big test is upcoming.  I try to train enough so that my body can handle the distance and then just make it do that.  The toughest work in training isn't the long runs, but the intensity work.  Although anything 5 hours or longer on the bike still takes a bit of mental toughness for me.  

I am sure others more experienced will chip in.  Training in heat if you are going to race in heat may be helpful.  Having a coach may help with a strategy of how to do the race and how to be really sure of your training.  Best of luck with your upcoming IM.   

If we knew what your training has been like it might help with specific feedback, like if you appear on target or not, etc.

Edited by Baowolf 2009-06-25 12:44 PM
2009-06-25 12:45 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Best tip I can give your for training is: keep it fun.  If you are out on a bike ride and start to think about how tired your are, change your thinking!  Think about how wonderful it is that  you are healthy enough to go out on a Saturday morning and bike for 4 hrs!  Listen to the birds, look at the fields and the trees...just enjoy being outside.  If you get bored, do figure 8s around the reflectors like you did when you were a kid riding you bike.  And don't be afraid to stop and read historical markers or pop into a store and buy a Coke and a Snickers and sit down and enjoy them.

~Mike

2009-06-25 12:51 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Your motivation is to finish. Think that if you don't finish your workout... that you might not finish. Focus on every pedal stroke, every step, every swim stroke being one step closer to toeing the line at the IM AND finishing it. I saw it like putting money in the bank.

Put pictures of that finish line up around your house. Focus on the goal. Have the finish line as your screen saver/background on your computer.

Tell yourself that NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS you will keep moving forward. NOTHING will stop you from your goal.

GOOD LUCK!

2009-06-25 12:56 PM

User image

As a DNF to finisher, I can offer a little perspective.  I just wanted the finish really, really bad.  There's a run I would do at night where the lights on a hill looked like (what I thought) the bridges over Tempe Town Lake would look like on the night that I did finish.  I would just tell myself "that's what I am going to see come November."  And I did

Although I don't think this affects only those going through a DNF.  I think it affects most everyone training for the IM. 
2009-06-25 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Bucks County
another IM virigin and one thing I do is break down the distance. a 112 mile ride and marathon is just too far for my feeble little mind to get around. it's not a 26.2 mile run but rather I am going to break into parts - for my race it's 2 loops then and out and back but I'm taking them one at a time. so it's not oh no i've got 8 miles to go but rather I'm two miles to the end of this loop I can make it two more miles.

there will be times where it will suck and that's alright cause thats how it's supposed to feel. if it were all smooth and easy everyone would do this but for each bad part you will get over it and get to a good patch. so when it sucks you gotta remind yourself why you're doing this and find a mantra to get you thru that rough patch to the next good patch
2009-06-25 1:58 PM

User image

Champion
MA
You build mental strength in training.

The book mentioned above is fabulous and I've read it 20x. I have probably 10 mental training type books and they all help me. Spend time weekly, write it into your training plan, to work on the mental side of the game. Then bring what you are learning into your training and if you race practice it in races.

Key thing for me is to have a race plan, stay moment focused and do what you are supposed to do right now. My mind gets into this place where I just do what I am supposed to do and not think much. I say my mind is like a river and stuff comes in and flows out and when I'm like that I perform my best. No worrying about time cut offs, what my pace is, if my swim was crappy or whatever...just think about what I'm doing right now and do it the best I can within my plan.

Find a phrase or two that you can use to dig deep when you have to and keep you motivated.

I did a HIM this weekend (read my long RR of Patriot if you want as it talks a lot about mental stuff) and my mantra for run was no compromise. It meant last 6 miles of the run don't compromise and I was supposed to run faster but couldn't so it adapted to not walking. I kept my head in a box and thought of nothing but what I was doing. I didn't chat with the volunteers I was single minded focused.  It was very challenging and probably the hardest thing I've done, when I crossed the finish line, I couldn't smile, lift my arms up or anything..I collapsed onto the ground as I achieved what I set out to and once I was over the line I let go and the  mental battle was over and I had won.
2009-06-25 2:31 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
No single answer.  Like a couple others in this thread, I'm in training for my first IM, so I can't speak to the "IM itself" part, but I have a couple thoughts based on having reached my peak phase of IM training and having had a couple tough race experiences where I fought off a DNF.

Every race situation is unique, at least in my experience.  I'm a strong runner, but blew up badly the first couple miles of the run at Wildflower this year.  I could barely shuffle and I knew I still had 12 miles to go.  Then I hit the hills.  Probably every tactic I know came into finishing:  Bargaining (okay, I'll walk the aid stations for the first time...okay, I can't run these hills, so I'll just walk the steepest uphills), trusting muscle memory (my body knows how to run, just try to let it), technique ('k, can't use my quads since they are cramped into iron knots...what other muscle systems can I shift to?  And how's my posture doing?), and just plain old stubborn pride (I'm just not going to walk away from this!...I am going to run this last hill, not walk it!).

Getting through training ultimately comes down to one thing for me:  I have to have a clear sense of why I signed up for the race.  If I have that in my heart and my head knows what it takes to get to the goal, then that gets me up at 5:15am on a Sunday and out the door for a 7 hour ride after I tweaked my ankle on a 3+ hour run in the mountains the day before and have every excuse to stay in bed.
2009-06-25 4:33 PM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills, IL
I have not done an IM yet but will be doing one this summer. But what has helped me during my previous marathons and HIM is the ability that I learned to block everything out and have a clear mind. It took alot of practice but have got it down after a couple years. When I feel the negative thoughts creep in I block them immediately. Focus on the paint lines in the road or the person in front of you. Once you get the ability to do it it helps alot.

2009-06-25 5:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Vancouver, WA

I had a much harder time with the training for IM vs. competing and completing IMAZ.  I love the swimming, so that wasn't ever an issue for me.  I really got burned out on the long run training and knew I might be insane when I ran 18 miles on a track... in the dark early am.  I used key songs on my Ipod to keep my motivation and spirits up

On race day, my mantra was:  RFM  Relentless Forward Motion.  I wrote it on my arm and kept looking at it when I needed to dig deeper.  It worked. 

I would also suggest a book that has great IM stories.  Becomming an Ironman  by Kara Douglass Thom is a  light read with some great stories  about their race day.  It covers the good, the bad and the ugly. 

Best of luck with your training and your race.  You will succeed...  RFM.

2009-06-25 6:44 PM

Hi -
I found Rich Strauss' Endurance Nation website extremely informative. And it's free!
I see that he's updated his resources into a 'long course manifesto'. Read the 4 keys to Ironman Execution - (and write the part about not pushing the bike in permanent marker on your forehead ...

Hope that helps - and best of luck on race day!
cw
2009-06-25 7:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

It was great meeting you at IM FL last year. I was honestly very surprised that you did not finish last year as I thought that your attitude was great and that you had the mental part all wrapped up. I'm trying to remember what happened last year - you had stomach issues didn't you? Perhaps you really did have the mental part figured out last year, and it was your body and race day routine that let you down (nutrition, hydration, drinking too much of the Gulf?). Maybe you are just over-thinking things now because last year did not work out?

It's easier said than done, but just relax and enjoy the day.

2009-06-25 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2243823

User image

Extreme Veteran
DaveH - 2009-06-25 8:10 PM

It was great meeting you at IM FL last year. I was honestly very surprised that you did not finish last year as I thought that your attitude was great and that you had the mental part all wrapped up. I'm trying to remember what happened last year - you had stomach issues didn't you? Perhaps you really did have the mental part figured out last year, and it was your body and race day routine that let you down (nutrition, hydration, drinking too much of the Gulf?). Maybe you are just over-thinking things now because last year did not work out?

It's easier said than done, but just relax and enjoy the day.

Hey Dave...

Well...I made a very sad mistake. Since I have had a gastric bypass, I use a special mix of Infinit Nutrition on the bike and run. Since I am sensitive to sugar, we had gone through three different versions of this endurance drink that would give me all I needed without the sugar upset on my stomach. When I ordered the drink supply for the race, I ordered the 2nd version of it and not the 3rd. Too high of sugar in the drink made me VERY VERY ill on the bike which lead to dehydration and I was done. I threw up from mile 4 to mile 56. I won't make that mistake twice.

I want to thank everyone for these AMAZING ideas and tips!! You guys are awesome!! I really really appreciate the help. After my run workout today (in the afternoon heat of Central Florida...a lovely 93 degrees), I feel like I am getting stronger..and getting ready!!

Keep the great advice coming!!
2009-06-25 10:25 PM

I have just one IM, IMCDA 2008 and signed up for IMCDA 2010 but numerous marathons and 200 + mile single day bike rides. Some tricks, visualize the finish chute when the going gets tough either in training or on race day. Eases the discomfort and reminds you why you are there. Also, do some long Life Cycle rides and treadmill runs. As you know, these are awfully boring and really require mental toughness to get thru, it will help on the mind over pain portion of the day. Finally, it is typically not your muscles that let you down, only your nutrition or your mind. Both of those are under your control. Have fun and good luck.

2009-06-25 10:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country

Try to keep your workouts consistent.  They dont have to be long, or grueling ... just consistent.  Whatever you can do to keep it fun, find a routine that works well for you.  If you have to (or want to) miss a workout, then miss it and DONT worry about making it up later.  Ironman is so much more about mental fitness than physical fitness on race day.  There are very few of us that will really race an Ironman from start to finish, so being fit enough to finish an IM vs fit enough to race an IM are two very different things.  Focus on what you can do right now today, try not to get wrapped up in the past or future ... it will inevitably happen, so you have to TRY to subdue the voices a bit.  Its very normal to have doubts and fears and concerns about a challenge like this.  But you obviously have a level of determination and dedication a handful of people in the world have, or else you wouldnt be trying an Ironman in the first place.  Give yourself a pat on the back for that and get back on the bike!!

2009-06-26 12:37 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
trihardathena -

I'm by no means anywhere near IM (but I want to be one... shhhh...) at the moment but I have been following your story since it is similar to my history of obesity. I visit your blog to keep up to date and am just as exited for you about this race as you probably are as weird as that sounds.

One of the posts that was on your blog (I can't find it now) talked about why you wanted to do this... I think you said it was "closing a chapter in a book" I would think in the darkest moments it would be helpful to draw from that place about how who you are today is entirely different, and how your life has changed since losing all that weight. I know for me this is powerful in a races and I've only done up to Oly at this point... but I feel worlds away from where I was and I haven't even won my battle yet.

It's AMAZING what you've done and what you've been through. Your lack of finishing last year was an unfortunate thing but it was a nutrition issue, so don't let that memory trip you up.

Look forward to hearing about your IM journey.

Edited by IdealMuse 2009-06-26 12:38 AM
2009-06-26 6:22 AM

User image

Veteran
The best advice someone gave me was, "stay in the moment!" Enjoy that moment, think about how you feel at that moment. DO NOT think about how far you have to go.

I too use a mantra throughout every race, usually associated with time, "next mile at ...."

That said, anything can happen, don't beat yourself up over last year. Pros crash, pros get sick, pros dnf.

Good luck, "you will do this"
2009-06-26 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2244136

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Melissa - two thoughts (and I have not done an IM) however, I just came back from USAT coaching clinic and learned way more than I ever thought I would (don't we all know a lot about tri's already), 2 in particular may help here.

1) Bobby McGee (international and Olympic running and mental skills expert) talked to us about mental planning. He talked about taking a physical map of the course (either from website, google earth, etc) and mapping out your mental strategy on the map. Drive the course if you can. Train yourself mentally to say the POSITIVE thoughts to yourself at the same mile markers when you train (like a previous poster (chris?) said about the lights on the bridge). Have those postive affirmations ready to go.

2) Bob Seebohar did our discussions on nutrition (he was the Olympic triathlon nutritionist). He really changed how I look at nutrition. Not just for training but racing. How we have trained our bodies to burn carbs (hence the need to take them in frequently) instead of our fat reserves (for those that have them!). He has a number of webinars from his website (www.fuel4mance.com) and a book on nutrition periodization for endurance athletes. I would highly recommend the book and some of the webinars. I sat through Sports Nutrition Research vs Reality parts 1 & 2 and am still trying to process what I got out of it.

I made some very basic changes to my eating the last 2 weeks and have seen significant improvements in my weight loss and enegry during training.

I think in the end it boils down to your ability to believe in yourself. We all have doubts, you have a lot of people questioning WHY you are doing an IM and what you want to get out of it. Don't listen to them. Listen to YOU. Why do you want to finish an IM, to say you did, to prove you can, to see how far you've come, or to prove to yourself that you can do anything you set your mind too? Once you have the answer to WHY, you can focus on how to get there. We believe in you, believe in yourself!

Lani
2009-06-26 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2244136

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

trihardathena - 2009-06-25 9:50 PM Too high of sugar in the drink made me VERY VERY ill on the bike which lead to dehydration and I was done. I threw up from mile 4 to mile 56. I won't make that mistake twice.

This makes me even more convinced that you have the mental part figured out and simply made a race day mistake with your hydration strategy. The DNF is starting to give you doubts, but it shouldn't - your only mistake was the change in your Infinit mix. No amount of mental toughness would have got you to the finish line last year after throwing up for 50 miles, so don't beat yourself up on that one.

Do the training that you need to do, and then keep that wonderful smile of yours on for the day and enjoy yourself.

2009-06-27 1:33 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
This is a great thread --- thanks to everyone for your input.  I'm definitely going to check out some of the books mentioned !
2009-06-27 5:00 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Still an IM virgin but training for IM Lou atm. Just finished my first HIM and I really focused on running my own race and keeping it fun.  I've found that by encouraging others on the course it keeps my in a positive mindset.  Definatly stay positive! Smile!!

2009-06-27 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ok...Amazon LOVES me...I bought ALL the books mentioned here today and put some of your suggestions to use today as I do an 8 mile run. My most sincere thanks for all your great information and kind words I am actually feeling a little more prepared for IM than I did this time last year

Thanks again...you guys are the best!!
2009-06-29 4:31 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Stop it!  (Stop focusing on the negatives and doubts)

What do you need to do to finish IMFL this year?  Train and practice.  I just completed IMCdA as my first IM.  Here's what I noticed:   I drew energy from the other participants, volunteers, and spectators all throughout the race, even when I really (REALLY) hurt.  Training is a much more solitary endeavor, and it's easy to let your overactive imagination (we all have one) take over and start down the doubt path.  You know you need to sort out nutrition (which was the root-cause of your DNF) and you are already taking steps to address that, so you're overcoming your biggest obstacle.  Start practicing the mental gymnastics on your short runs and rides.  Take advantage of EVERY success, including overcoming that 10-second blip of self-doubt as you turn the corner that decides "short route--going home" or "long route--IM finisher." 

During the race, I adopted the attitude that I "owed" the volunteers and spectators my best efforts.  We were all out there for too many hours on a cold, windy, and eventually rainy day.  At least I was generating some body heat to make it not nearly so uncomfortable.  They were out there for me (and having people call you by name, even if they don't "know" you) helps make the connection. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The mental game of Ironman Training and IM itself Rss Feed  

of 2