New York Triathlon
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 49s
Overall Rank = 33/124
Age Group = m 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Had 1/2 a bagel with peanut butter and oj & drove down to the race site. Checked in, used rthe bathroom and set up transition.
Event warmup:

Went for a really short run (nowhere to go without climbing the big hill out of the park) and tried to stretch out my achilles since it was still a little tight. Short ride up the hill & back and then a short dunk in the beautiful Hudson River water (visibility: 0) water just to get wet. Funny, the Colorado races they do the national anthem & have a sky diver, here they have the county executive give a speech.
Swim
  • 10m 7s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

Basically you ran out 100m thru sand mud & seasweed, then started swimming. It was packed the whole way out, not much bumping or kicking, but people on all sides. Got a bit choppy out towards the buoys. Finally got some space on the leg back to the beach and actually felt ok, then you stand up & run in the last 50 feet or so. Time includes about a minute run to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Do some swimming other than just during races.
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Ugh. Wetsuit got stuck on the timing chip, had trouble standing without wobbling so it took a little longer to get the bike shoes on.

Get the wetsuit off my heel!
Bike
  • 52m 26s
  • 18.5 miles
  • 21.17 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was fun but I found the other riders a little annoying at times. Lots of blocking (though not too much drafting that I saw) and a lot of cat & mousing. Rode with maybe 4 or 5 guys who I would pass on the hills & then they would come hammering by me on the flats & then coast. Got caught in a big pack of them at the end of the first lap & was annoyed enough that I said screw this and just hammered a bit to get away from them. Overall my HR was a bit high and I didn't want to go at an all out effort and leave nothing for the run - I REALLY did not want a repeat of my run at the 5430 Sprint. So overall I could've gone harder on the bike but I'm happy with my effort.

Hindsight I probably could've pushed a little more but I was wary of having it affect my run so I'm ok with this ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Had a little trouble getting a sock on but not too bad.

Usually I like to put on my socks before the bike but the grass in transition was wet so I figured I'd do it before the run instead. Overall no big deal.
Run
  • 28m 40s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Just tried to hold on. My achilles started getting tight after the run up the big hill, but luckily once it got warmed up it felt ok. Started to get a little side-stitch around the 2 mile mark but it didn't turn into anything until the big hill down to the finish. Still pretty frustrating to get passed by a lot of people but considering how hilly this was and how my run training has been this year I'm ok with this time. The finish was right at the bottom of the big hill - down the hill around a u-turn & it's there. I had two guys just behind me coming down the hill, one passed me about 20 ft from the finish which I was ok with but the other shortcut thru the cones and cut across the finish line right in front of me. I would've been pissed if he'd been in my AG.

Run more.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with Tom & Christine & the kids & picked up my award.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Haven't been doing enough training this year to get fast. I feel like I have decent fitness but not race fitness.

Event comments:

This was a good just-for-fun race & it was fun to have people there cheering for me.

Last updated: 2009-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:07 | 500 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 64/124
Performance: Average
Suit: xterra full
Course: out to a buoy, make a right, then a right at the next buoy back to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:52:26 | 18.5 miles | 21.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 13/124
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Big hill out of transition then 2 loops on a rolling course with a couple short, steep climbs, some downhills and some longer false flats.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:40 | 03.5 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 54/124
Performance: Average
Course: Up the big hill out of transition (about 100'-150' of climbing, then a pretty hilly run with one steep section just before the turnaround and a longer uphill on the way in before the big hill back down to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-20 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: Hudson Valley Tri / Biathlon

2009-07-20 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2295999

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Subject: RE: Hudson Valley Tri / Biathlon
For not training enough to get fast, nice job taking 3rd in your AG!

I'm glad your achilles cooperated for you.
2009-07-24 3:09 AM

User image

Ann Arbor
I wish I'd known there'd be another BT'er there! 
2009-07-25 5:42 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Congrats on the PODIUM. Yeah, maybe you aren't in top "race" condition right now, but obviously your overall fitness is excellent!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hudson Valley Tri / Biathlon Rss Feed