General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wearing your helmet on bike rides Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

Wearing your helmet on bike rides
OptionResults
Always. Even for a quick spin around the block.156 Votes - [88.14%]
Almost always. All major rides, but not little spins around the block.18 Votes - [10.17%]
Slightly more often than not. But I forget my helmet a lot and still ride.2 Votes - [1.13%]
Only when a race or other organized event requires it.1 Votes - [0.56%]

2005-05-06 9:49 AM
in reply to: #153331

User image

Buttercup
Subject: RE: Wearing your helmet on bike rides
Heh. When I used to do alot of trail rides and happened upon an off-road cyclist who was not wearing a helmet, I used to yell out "YOU FORGOT YOUR HELMET!" Embarassed my husband a bit. I figured a little embarassment was worth not being traumatized by the sight of their grey matter splattered on the pine trees. Would majorly ruin my ride, ya know?

2005-05-06 10:01 AM
in reply to: #153335

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
zakk - 2005-05-05 4:45 PM

the pool is 1.1 miles from my house. I bike there. I have bagged a swim once as it was left in my girlfriend's car.

You could have run to the pool at that distance, nice warm up for the swim, all of 10 minutes or less ;-)
2005-05-06 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
There's are plenty of 'excuses' for not wearing your helmet, but there's just no good reason...

Always wear your helmet.
2005-05-06 10:50 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
I always wear one and make those I ride with wear them, too.

One guy asked me once: "Why do you wear a helmet? Can't you ride good enough?"

My response: "I ride just fine. I don't trust the drivers that I share the road with." I'm not worried about falling down while riding; I worried about someone in a four-wheeler not seeing me and ruining my whole day.
2005-05-06 11:18 AM

Veteran
Ankeny, Iowa
The only times I don't put the helmet is when I am tuning my bike and just testing it up and down the driveway.  The rest of the time I strap up. I started wearing the helmet to set an example for the kids and there really isn't a good answer to "Why doesn't Daddy have to wear one?".  Now, it is just a habit and I am uncomfortable without one.

Edited by jwiedmier 2005-05-06 11:19 AM
2005-05-06 11:49 AM

User image

Expert
My wife and I always wear our helmets no matter if it's just around the block or out in the country. I compare helmets to seatbelts in a car...the few seconds it takes to put it on is worth it. It only seems to be a minor inconvenience until you need it. When I was teaching my wife to ride, I not only required her to wear a helmet, but elbow and knee pads as well (she still ended up cracking her ribs). I see many kids in our neighborhood ride in front of their house without a helmet, and can't help but think what would happen if a car came around the corner too fast and the kids hit their head on the cement curb. It's frightening to think how the parents would feel. As adults who should know better, kids only know what they see us do, so I feel it is our responsibility to set the example.

2005-05-06 11:59 AM

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I have the same rule with helmets as I do with seatbelts. It's on before I start moving, and if you want to ride with me, you wear one, too. Not negotiable.
2005-05-06 1:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu, HI

like others, i've worked in ERs and seen first-hand what brain tissue looks like when it is suddenly and forcefully removed from one's skull. i can assure you it's not pretty. riding without a helmet is like riding without a seatbelt or having unprotected sex with a stranger you just met - you're asking for trouble with a capital "T."

sorry to hear about your friend, sue.

2005-05-06 2:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
I think I have more "brain buckets" than shoes! Rock climbing, kayaking, MTB, skiing/snowboarding.... I, too, have seen a life saved simply by wearing a helmet while biking. All of mine are pretty comfy, and well, its just not worth it not to wear it! I wouldn't even go down the street without it.
2005-05-06 2:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO

I ALWAYS wear my helmet. I have a family friend who was riding his bike and ran into a parked car head first. He was 10 at the time, LONG before kids' helmets were on the market. He's in his 30s now, but mentally, he is still a 10 year old, at best. I've seen it first hand, and I won't take the risk.

Additionally, I'm happy that professional cycling has implemented a mandatory helmet rule. There are a lot of kids out there who idolize Lance Armstrong, but were receiving mixed messages when they'd see pictures of him in a bike race without his helmet.

2005-05-06 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

I was hoping to see a post from the 3 rocket scientists who voted for "sometimes".  Why so quiet?  Do you already have a brain injury that makes it hard to type?

I'm old enough that when I was a kid we didn't have helmets for anything.  We didn't even have a car seat for my little sister as I recall.  But to not wear a helmet these days - well, I'd like to hear that rationalization - and then I'll laugh at you.

Edited by Alpine87 2005-05-06 2:48 PM

2005-05-06 3:16 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

Always, always, ALWAYS!

Brett- I once ran across bike maintenance site where the author promoted not wearing a helmet. His rationale was absolutely retarded. I'll try to find it so that we can all have a good laugh.

Edit: In the meantime, I found this really, really funny reason: "I will tell you why I don't wear a helmet. I choose to let God rule when He takes me, helmet or not. I view a helmet as something that's trying to cheat God, somehow." Uh, yeah...... Isn't there a joke some dude in a flood, sitting on his roof and a boat and helicopter and something else come by to save him and he keeps saying "No thanks. God will save me." Then when he reaches the Pearly Gates and inquires as to why God didn't save him, God says "Dude! I sent a boat, a helicopter and something else! What more do you want?!"

Edited by kimj81 2005-05-06 3:27 PM
2005-05-06 3:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I never wore a helmet growing up and was hit by a car once while riding my bike. Flew over my handle bars and skidded to a stop along the cement. As a child the thing I learned didn't have anything to do with wearing a helmet, but more to do with ASSUME ALL DRIVERS ARE STUPID and not paying attention. I now take up a whole lane so cars can't zoom past me.

The first time I wore a helmet was for my first triathlon. I didn't start wearing a helmet regularly until I got my tri bike two months ago.

And I have to say the dumbest thing that ever happened to me while not wearing my helmet was this lady driving and yelling at me through her window that I needed to wear a helmet and it was against the law yada yada yada. First in the great state of Texas it is against the law to ride your bike on the sidewalk NOT to ride without a helmet. It might be mandatory in Austin. If your bike shop tells you otherwise they are lying. I looked it up. The law didn't pass. Secondly as she was yelling she was swerving, which just reinforced my thoughts to assume that all drivers are stupid.

I understand that helmets are safer, but I don't where helmets while running and I have been hit 3 times running, some people don't like stop signs. I wear one consistently now, but its because I don't feel as stable on my tri bike and having my feet clipped in affects my reaction time. Plus I ride on rodes with more traffic now.
2005-05-06 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
I am a transplant to Texas because of my job (originally from Tucson, Az), and in El Paso I see not only bicyclists not wearing helmets, but MOST motorcyclists as well. Aparently in Texas it isn't against the law to wear a helmet anytime. The problem is that in El Paso aparently it's not against the law for cars to not use their turn signals. (I'm convinced that the car manufacturers remove the turn-signals from all cars they export to Texas.) Swerving through three lanes of traffic to make your exit is not only common, it's expected. And cutting cars off who are trying to enter the freeway is not offensive driving, it is the only driving. These driving practices apply to backroads and two-lane roads as well. To not wear a helmet is to have a death wish.
2005-05-06 5:16 PM

Regular
Jackson, MS
Always wear it!! I crashed last weekend and the helment saved my hard head! The plastic liner 'thingy' broke lose from the shell. Wished I would have had something to protect my collerbone Needless to say, a new helment will be bought before heading back out.
2005-05-06 5:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta
I lead with my head. Ergo, I wear a helmet. It's positively Darwinian not to.

2005-05-06 5:24 PM

User image

T1
I don't even waste my time with people who don't wear helmets when riding. Same with when riding motorcycles. Might sound harsh, but be an adult and not a moron.
That said, I forgot my helmet once on a ride...took me a block to figure out what was wrong and why I felt so naked. Even though it was a pain in the ass, I turned right around and got it.

WEAR IT.
2005-05-06 8:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Riding a bike makes me want to sell my car.

I think for the most part you guys are preaching to the choir.
2005-05-06 10:31 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
"Rocket scientist" here, and some of you might consider re-reading Ron's post on healthy discussions. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

The poll didn't ask for reasons. I've ridden bicycles for over 40 years without a helmet and didn't buy one until I needed it for an upcoming event so that's what I voted. In this jurisdiction, I have the right to decide for myself whether or not I wear a helmet during my daily riding. I have my reasons: some logical and some, like some of your counter arguements, of a more emotional nature. I'm re-evaluating my position now that I've actually spent some time wearing a helmet, but my ongoing decisions wont be influenced by name-calling and insults. I'm also not going to present my arguements or attack any of yours either; I don't see anything to be accomplished by that discussion here.
2005-05-06 11:18 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago

I always wear my helmet.

If someone gets in an accident without a helmet and dies from a head injury is that a "natural selection" event?

2005-05-07 4:00 AM
in reply to: #153934

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Micawber - 2005-05-06 7:31 PM  I have the right to decide for myself whether or not I wear a helmet during my daily riding.

Yes you do have that right.  Now let me tell you what the rest of us should have the right to.  If you are ever in a crash and are unable to care for yourself because you're a cucumber laying in a bed (not name calling...just stating facts), the rest of us should have the right NOT to pay for you to vegetate for what's left of your life.

I've been working in emergency medicine for longer than I care to admit and I can't tell you how many people I've taken care of who exercised their "right" to not wear a helmet...and then society gets to pick up the tab (usually to the tune of hundreds of thousands to several million dollars) because even if they do have insurance, it won't come close to covering their emergency care, intensive care, rehab, and skilled nursing for the rest of their lives. 

So, yeah, you may have the "right" to decide for yourself whether or not to wear a helmet.  But along with that right comes the responsibility to take care of yourself and the results of that decision.  And if you think the health insurance you may have now will do it...think again my friend.  It won't even be close.  In essence, you're saying that you have the ultimate responsibilty for yourself...sorry, you don't if you crash.  You're going to leave it up to the rest of us to take responsibility for your silly decision.  Not very ethical or responsible if you ask me.

2005-05-07 4:03 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

gee. let's see.  When my kid first started, the helmet went on.  He had just removed his training wheels, and went down a little incline not used to.  Crash. Dented helmet.

One of the neighborhood kids was riding one of MY kids' bikes.  I told him to put on a helmet or get off the bike.  He got all snippy, got back on HIS bike and went home to tell his mom!

My kids have crashed countless times doing reckless stuff on bikes, boards, skates, and even one of those electric scooters.  I should buy stock in Bell and Specialized. 

I bought one of their first ones from our hospital, part of a Keep Kids Safe promo for five bucks.  Not long after, that one was destroyed.  Took it back, got a free one.  cool.

My hubby crashed in front of me, I ran him over and hit him in the head with my pedal/shoe at 20mph.  Stitches right above his eye, would of knocked him out otherwise.

And... I have a $60,000 device implanted in my head, you bet your ass I'm wearing my helmet.

2005-05-07 10:14 PM
in reply to: #153991

User image

Veteran
Montreal
Flyboy - 2005-05-07 4:00 AM

Micawber - 2005-05-06 7:31 PM I have the right to decide for myself whether or not I wear a helmet during my daily riding.

Yes you do have that right. Now let me tell you what the rest of us should have the right to. If you are ever in a crash and are unable to care for yourself because you're a cucumber laying in a bed (not name calling...just stating facts), the rest of us should have the right NOT to pay for you to vegetate for what's left of your life.

I've been working in emergency medicine for longer than I care to admit and I can't tell you how many people I've taken care of who exercised their "right" to not wear a helmet...and then society gets to pick up the tab (usually to the tune of hundreds of thousands to several million dollars) because even if they do have insurance, it won't come close to covering their emergency care, intensive care, rehab, and skilled nursing for the rest of their lives.

So, yeah, you may have the "right" to decide for yourself whether or not to wear a helmet. But along with that right comes the responsibility to take care of yourself and the results of that decision. And if you think the health insurance you may have now will do it...think again my friend. It won't even be close. In essence, you're saying that you have the ultimate responsibilty for yourself...sorry, you don't if you crash. You're going to leave it up to the rest of us to take responsibility for your silly decision. Not very ethical or responsible if you ask me.

Like me, Micawber's a Canadian, so a great deal of the post accident expense will be covered everyone's tax money. Which is a good reason to make the wearing of helmets mandatory like it is in many municipalites (but unfortunately not in mine).

Matthew
2005-05-08 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Sure helmet wearing is great. I have multiple helmets because I have multiple bikes and they're not always in the same place. My kid isn't allowed to ride down the front walk without his helmet, and believe me he fought that one. But I also think our society is really turning into nanny-land. I grew up cycling, skiing and horseback riding without a helmet in sight. You bet I fell all over the place. I was lucky enough not to have any major injuries. You might also say that I learned how to fall and how to be careful. I suppose we have a responsibility to minimize known risks for our kids, but I would draw the line at yelling at an adult for exercising free will (however ill-advised). We live in a dangerous world and we've become sensitized to some risks but not others. There's also the argument that many people think helmets are a cure-all and aren't as careful when riding with them. I say chill out, live and let live.

Edited by CLLinIA 2005-05-08 8:58 AM
2005-05-08 9:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Parsippany, New Jersey
USAT Rule Book

5.9 Helmets.

(a) Type of Helmet. All participants shall wear a protective head cover, undamaged and unaltered, which meets or exceeds the safety standards of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Helmets manufactured prior to March 10, 1999 must meet or exceed the safety standards of (i) the American National Standard Institute (ANSI Z-90.4), (ii) The Snell Memorial Foundation (Protective Headgear for Bicycle Users), or (iii) ASTM F-1446 or F-1447, and which is clearly labeled by the manufacturer as satisfying such standards. Removal of helmet cover, if required for that helmet to meet such safety standards, shall constitute an impermissible alteration in violation of this Section 5.9(a). Any violation of this Section 5.9(a) shall result in disqualification.

(b) Chin Strap Violations. The helmet must be fastened before the participant first mounts the bicycle, at all times when the participant is on the bicycle, and must not be unfastened until the participant has dismounted. Any violation of this Section 5.9(b) which occurs while the participant is in the transition area shall result in a variable time penalty. Any other violation of this Section shall result in disqualification. This Section 5.9(b) shall be enforced at all times while at the event site on race day.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO RACE BY THE RULES, YOU SHOULD TRAIN BY THEM TOO!!!!!!!!
ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wearing your helmet on bike rides Rss Feed  

of 3