General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wearing your helmet on bike rides Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

Wearing your helmet on bike rides
OptionResults
Always. Even for a quick spin around the block.156 Votes - [88.14%]
Almost always. All major rides, but not little spins around the block.18 Votes - [10.17%]
Slightly more often than not. But I forget my helmet a lot and still ride.2 Votes - [1.13%]
Only when a race or other organized event requires it.1 Votes - [0.56%]

2005-05-08 8:42 PM
in reply to: #153934

User image

Extreme Veteran
Niagara Falls, Ont
Subject: RE: Wearing your helmet on bike rides

Micawber - 2005-05-06 8:31 PM "Rocket scientist" here, and some of you might consider re-reading Ron's post on healthy discussions. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... The poll didn't ask for reasons. I've ridden bicycles for over 40 years without a helmet and didn't buy one until I needed it for an upcoming event so that's what I voted. In this jurisdiction, I have the right to decide for myself whether or not I wear a helmet during my daily riding. I have my reasons: some logical and some, like some of your counter arguements, of a more emotional nature. I'm re-evaluating my position now that I've actually spent some time wearing a helmet, but my ongoing decisions wont be influenced by name-calling and insults. I'm also not going to present my arguements or attack any of yours either; I don't see anything to be accomplished by that discussion here.

Mica:

Its a matter of choice, my further south brother. But the way i look at it is this, as Mike Pigg (the legend) once said, "train like you race". this means in Alberta (and pretty much everywhere else) at any sanctioned race, your helmet has to be on your head and properly fastened before your bike leaves the rack or you risk DQ. (mmmmmm.......dairy queen). Yes its your choice, but if good protection is out there, why not use it?

Brent

2005-05-08 9:37 PM
in reply to: #153331

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest
Stupid is as stupid does, I guess.
2005-05-08 10:10 PM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Pee Wee Herman never wore a helmet but did we really want him to wear a helmet?
2005-05-09 12:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
I always wear my helmet.
Its mandatory to wear your helmet here $50 fine if you are caught on the road without a helmet. Which came in when I was a teenager and I very rarely see anyone on the road without a helmet now. which I think is a great thing.

I'm not a great fan of mandatory rulings but I think if its going to save peoples lives then its a good thing.
2005-05-09 7:38 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
As I said early on, Always wear a helmet.

However, I am also a firm believer in CHOICE. It should be up to the individual whether they wear one or not. The fact that I think that NOT wearing a helmet is incredibly stupid only has bearing when it is my family, or my opinion is asked.

Those here that have flamed folks who don't wear helmets do all of us a disservice. You change no minds and simply inflame the issue.

Those of you that choose not to wear helmets. I would ask you to consider the effect on your loved ones if you were hit by a car. My son is alive today because he had a helmet on when the car decided to share his lane. He was being careful and did nothing wrong. Please, please, please, WEAR a HELMET. It won't guarantee that you survive a crash, but your odds go up immensely.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wearing your helmet on bike rides Rss Feed  

of 3