United States
Vineman
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 20m 49s
Overall Rank = 81/144
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 16/23
Pre-race routine:

Got up a 4:30, drank coffee and eat a bagel before loading up and heading to the race site with Aaron and Danette.

My game plan was to treat this as another day of training. The longest that I have saw is 3K this year. Also, I'm just entering my race prep part of the season. I have just completed my base training, raced two week ago and did a 12 mile run on Thursday and a lactic threshold test on Wednesday. The closed thing that I did to a taper was not train on Friday.
Event warmup:

I saw a bunch of TNT and Forward Motion racers prior to the race. I did about 23 seconds of swim warm-up prior to the race beginning.
Swim
  • 1h 22m 37s
  • 4156 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the first time that I have done the 2.4 mile distance. I placed myself strategically at the back right of our wave (which was one of the larger waves of the day.

The gun went off -- sort of surprise me. I did the normal two minutes of swim combat and then continued onward. I focused on my front quad swimming and body rotation. This swim seemed to go on forever. At the first turn-around the water was really low and my fingers dragged on the bottom. I resisted getting up an walking (like I did two weeks ago). On the way back I ran into plant vegetation near the side of the river. Not that I'm fast, but we caught up with swimmer from the prior three waves during the swim.

As I continued back toward the start, I kept looking up for my bride. I did not see her. :-( However, I did hit the turn-around and headed back. The rest of the race was pretty much the same as the first. Nice and uneventful. I'll take it.

My target was 1:20. I was about a minute slower--but I'm happy with the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more than 3K. This was early in my training cycle and gives me comfort that I'll be ready for Kona.
Transition 1
  • 09m 21s
Comments:

I decided early on to change into bike pants for comfort on the ride. I did not care about my transition.

In fact I talked to my buddy Lulu for about 30 seconds. Today about about a training day--which means comfort.

I would rush more and I would apply butbutter--more later.
Bike
  • 6h 49m 50s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.40 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a race of two loops. The first loop I was faster by 1 MPH than the second loop. I derailed 7 times during the race.

I got out of Johnson's beach. I road up the hill--passing 5 people. The ride for the first 20 miles was pretty flat--with a couple of hills at the bottom of valleys.

I saw the tree that fell down and knocked a biker off the Vineman 70.3 two weeks before. I was silent and said a quick prayer for the safety of the cyclist the prior race.

I continued into Healdsberg the second time. I felt pretty strong and was holding to my game plan. I saw Tom Davies and we rode together for a while. He is the other guy who got into Kona too. He had done CDA a couple of months ago and was tell me about the race. He had not intended to run the marathon. However, he changed his pacing strategy after attending an Endurance Nation pre-race talk. He decided that he felt so good on the bike that he would do the run. While we were talking we met Gary Wright from EN. He looked strong. It was impressive how much weight he has lost.

I stopped at the second water stop to hit the bathroom.

In general I did a great job staying in my aero bars for the first loop.

The biggest issue was that by the time that I saw Danette on the first loop, I was pretty much spent. My game plan should have been at lower watts. I knew I had gone out too hard. I held back on the Fraught hill--which is a nice short climb after Chalk--which is the largest climb

After Fraught it is generally downhill to the school. I focused at trying to get my watts up to the game plan and staying aero. As we looped around the school I thought to myself "what have I done to myself!" :-)

I had pretty much finished a bottle and 3/4, a payday bar (snack size), a portable can of pringles (fits right into the bento box) and 5 salt tabs--which is less than will need on a real Ironman distance. I need to focus on getting more into my system. I averaged 17 MPH.

I did the out and back portion and saw a couple of TNTer and Forward Motion teammates. About mile 60 I started to sneeze. I sneezed about 20 times over that next mile. My nose began to run like a faucet. I don't know what it was--but it just continued for the rest of the race. More on this later.

Continuing onward, I caught up with the first loop and I compared how I felt to the first loop. My legs were starting to get tired about mile 65. I was staying in the aerobar less and having a harder time hitting my targeted watts.

About mile 65 Tom caught me and video taped me on his Iphone while passing. Impressive--I'm sure I would have dropped the bike if I tried that!

About mile 80 to 100, I was ready for the ride to be over! I kept the watts down on the hills--which was in the game plan. About 85 or so, I got my pringle out and during that I sent my salt tablets flying. :-( After Chalk Hill I was sort of blocked by a rider going down the hill. She was coasting in the left lane and that's where I continue to make progress on others by continuing to peddle. She fricken would not move over for the majority of the decent as I'm yelling on your left.....

My nose continued to run and I couldn't keep it clear at all. I'm sure that I have the funkiest, grossest pictures coming...

I got to the bottom of Chalk Hill and saw Danette. I was so ready for the ride to be over, however, I got up out of my saddle and powered up Fraught. It is my little personal TdF. I love that little hill. Not in my game plan--but great for me mentally.

The rest of the ride was pretty much down hill and I was able to make up some ground here. My average MPH was 16 MPH--1 MPH slower than the first loop--in spite of keeping the watts down for the first 30 miles.

I consumed 1 1/2 bottles of Gatoraide and the rest of my bottle of cytomax. I ate another payday bar and a junior can of pringles. Similar to the first loop I needed to get more calories in the race.

Ride:
Duration: 6:38:52 (6:49:15)
Work: 3841 kJ
TSS: 409.8 (intensity factor 0.791)
Norm Power: 176
VI: 1.08
Pw:HR: 100%
Pa:HR: 100%
Distance: 109.843 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 591 163 watts
Heart Rate: 94 152 126 bpm
Cadence: 29 188 86 rpm
Speed: 0 36.9 16.5 mph
Pace 1:38 0:00 3:38 min/mi
Hub Torque: 0 434 74 lb-in
Crank Torque: 0 824 165 lb-in

First 56:
Duration: 3:17:27 (3:22:15)
Work: 2019 kJ
TSS: 223 (intensity factor 0.827)
Norm Power: 184
VI: 1.07
Pw:HR: -6.76%
Pa:HR: -4.38%
Distance: 56.002 mi

Second 56:
Duration: 3:21:28 (3:27:03)
Work: 1822 kJ
TSS: 184.9 (intensity factor 0.75)
Norm Power: 166
VI: 1.08
Pw:HR: n/a
Pa:HR: n/a
Distance: 53.853 mi

1. Adjust my targeted watts down based on the distance. In hindsight my "4 gears" for race day were too high. I did not adjust them down enough from the 70.3 race two weeks ago
2. Don't let my salt tablets fly away
3. Get a small bottle of sun screen and buttbutter for the ride.
4. I did 12 miles running on Thursday and a 2x20 on Weds. The closest thing I did to a taper was not workout (other than stretching) on Friday.
5. Find something to plug the nose up with!
Post race
Warm down:

I hopped off the bike and ran though the finish. The next thing I did was bummed napkins off of people to wipe the nose. It was scary!

The aquabike finish area was very different than the Vineman IM or Barb's Race 70.3--almost low key. I'm not certain I could have run a Mary after today! Good learning experience. I walked around with Danette and Aaron and then ate the after race meal. I stretched out a little.

I saw a bunch of my TNT friends and Forward Motion peeps.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. No taper
2. Early in my IM training plan. I still have not hit my volume pick-up yet.
3. Did not nail my race plan prior to the race--I treated this as more of a training day. My lack of a formal plan really impacted my execution on race day.

My PR on the swim and at this distance--wait of course it is as it is the first time that I have done these distances!

Event comments:

Vineman is a great race, put on by a serious race director and staff. This (or Barb's race, Vineman 70.3, or Vineman full) should be on everyone list of races to do.

A world class race.

Last updated: 2009-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:22:37 | 4156 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/144
Performance: Average
Suit: TNT suit
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:21
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:49:50 | 112 miles | 16.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/144
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The vineman course is a great course along the vineyards of the Alexander Valley, Chalk Hill region and others. It includes a loop through the crack dens of Santa Rosa (ok so there was a check chasing business along the road). In all seriousness it is a great race among word class vineyards.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-03 11:36 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Subject: Vineman Aquabike

2009-08-04 2:29 PM
in reply to: #2325840

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Vineman Aquabike
Sounds like a great prep/learning experience for Kona.  Nice job!
2009-08-05 8:10 AM

User image

Modesto, California
I should have done this with you, I did not even think to do this! Great race strategy, looks like you will nail it for Kona, enjoyed reading your RR! What was all the sneezing from?
2009-08-05 11:26 AM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Good job Geof! You did great...and only two weeks after competing in that HOT 70.3 Vineman. Way to power thru the swim and bike...I can imagine how steep Fraught must seem on your second loop! Way to power up it!

2009-08-05 5:41 PM

User image

Expert
Sounds like a very nice race for you! You're going to do amazing at Kona!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman Aquabike Rss Feed