Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-08-07 7:54 PM
in reply to: #2333423

User image

Master
South of SLC
Subject: RE: Crashing a Century
Jimbo, I am riding that same ride in the a.m. I am riding with another guy who is banditing because he did not sign up on time, etc., etc. I paid and got a bracelet, so I am fine. You should holler at me and perhaps we can ride together.

Mike

2009-08-08 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2335110

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
ChrisM - 2009-08-07 5:01 PM
Although I will say, having your atty sit by the phone while you're out riding?  seriously, msut have him on a nice retainer.  where do I find clients like that????

Oh he's doesn't get any money out of me. We trade services pretty much on a daily basis and we're also partners in some things. So it wasn't anything really abnormal. Plus, he was relaxing at his house on the Chesepeake that day so it wasn't like he was sitting in his office on a weekend and billing me hours.

Normally, I would never have set that up before hand but frankly this ride sold out 3,500 slots to people nationwide in 43 hours at $125+ each. This is not a "barely break-even charity ride". They're far too busy/important so they canceled their transfer and waiting list polices. Lastly, they are obsessive about keeping us local riders off the course. They put "wristband" checks at all the points where there's no other route riders can take to get through the mountains and they openly threaten prosecution. There were so many threatening signs up along the route I thought I was going to see, "Those without wristbands WILL BE SHOT."
2009-08-08 12:14 PM
in reply to: #2335715

User image

Extreme Veteran
shenandoah valley
breckview - 2009-08-08 11:26 AM
ChrisM - 2009-08-07 5:01 PM Although I will say, having your atty sit by the phone while you're out riding?  seriously, msut have him on a nice retainer.  where do I find clients like that????
Oh he's doesn't get any money out of me. We trade services pretty much on a daily basis and we're also partners in some things. So it wasn't anything really abnormal. Plus, he was relaxing at his house on the Chesepeake that day so it wasn't like he was sitting in his office on a weekend and billing me hours. Normally, I would never have set that up before hand but frankly this ride sold out 3,500 slots to people nationwide in 43 hours at $125+ each. This is not a "barely break-even charity ride". They're far too busy/important so they canceled their transfer and waiting list polices. Lastly, they are obsessive about keeping us local riders off the course. They put "wristband" checks at all the points where there's no other route riders can take to get through the mountains and they openly threaten prosecution. There were so many threatening signs up along the route I thought I was going to see, "Those without wristbands WILL BE SHOT."

Man, I really need to rethink the $15 entry fee for my club's century.
2009-08-08 6:53 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
I'm the ED, RD or chief cook and bottle washer for the Ride for Independence.  Held in Finger Lakes, NY.  We are not close to 2,500 riders but it is metric century.  i would never think of keeping others off the road and I doubt I legally can.  I know for sure that we have given support to numerous other riders on their own and with other rides.  Hell its good business.  While I would love everybody to sign up  but so be it.  I get people that e-mail asking for the route info, I never hear from them again, half the time.  
2009-08-08 10:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
yojimbo - 2009-08-06 8:52 PM

There is a 111 mile bike ride this weekend that I didn't get registered for but am thinking about riding anyway. I WOULD like to have registered but can't at this point (in the past they had day of registrations). With 2500 riders and it not being a race . . . should I have any qualms about 'crashing' the party?

Honestly, this is kind of a goofy question. 

If you can't register, bring a five gallon container of Gatorade or something and give it to the race volunteers at the start finish line.  Explain to them that you could not register and then ask them if you could still do the ride.

I think just riding for free, is without question, the wrong answer.   And asking other athletes if you should have qualms about doing it,  is the "goofy part".

Just my opinion.
2009-08-08 11:55 PM
in reply to: #2336397

User image

Extreme Veteran

MKAH - 2009-08-08 9:08 PM
yojimbo - 2009-08-06 8:52 PM

There is a 111 mile bike ride this weekend that I didn't get registered for but am thinking about riding anyway. I WOULD like to have registered but can't at this point (in the past they had day of registrations). With 2500 riders and it not being a race . . . should I have any qualms about 'crashing' the party?

Honestly, this is kind of a goofy question. 

If you can't register, bring a five gallon container of Gatorade or something and give it to the race volunteers at the start finish line.  Explain to them that you could not register and then ask them if you could still do the ride.

I think just riding for free, is without question, the wrong answer.   And asking other athletes if you should have qualms about doing it,  is the "goofy part".

Just my opinion.

Wow . . . well thanks for that! You got me. I'm kind of a goof!

MY point as the OP was to start a discussion as to riding partial/or even full routes on planned rides. "Do they own the road." My subject line and first post was to draw some attention. I think (for the most part) it brought out some good discussion.

I ended up doing an easy 90 miles with 4500 ft of vertical on my own tagged onto the Century course for ~5 miles where I saw a grand total of 5 riders.

Thanks for a good discussion. And kudos to to the RD in NY. If I might have to come out just to do your ride!

Edited by yojimbo 2009-08-09 12:07 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crashing a Century Rss Feed  

of 2