RAM
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 09m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at my sisters house with some friends. We headed over there around 5:15 as it was only a ten minute drive
Event warmup:

None. It was so disorganized in transition. By the time I got my bike racked and picked up my timing chip, they made us get chips the morning of. I didn't even have a chance to use the bathroom as we had to get a shuttle to the start. They didn't have enough shuttle buses. I waited in line for 15 minutes and ended up having to cut in front of everybody to get in the bus to make my wave start.
Swim
  • 40m 50s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I swam my usual pace. The fact that the course was extremely long led to my time. With the sun, no bouys to sight off of, horrible water and a long course, I guess I did ok.
Transition 1
  • 03m 57s
Comments:

Usual transition
What would you do differently?:

Get my wetsuit off quicker. It got stuck on my left foot.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 30s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.99 mile/hr
Comments:

I had stomach issues around mile 6 that made me pull off to the side and throw up. Not sure if it was from the swim, my cold of what. That doomed the rest of my race. With the heat and wind it turned into survival.

Not get sick.
Transition 2
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Typical transition.
Run
  • 1h 05m 30s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

I was able to run the first mile at a decent pace and then the wheels fell off. At mile 1 it turned into a walk\run fest for the rest of the race. I was struggling from my issues on the bike and lack of fuel. In addition they were serving HEED as a sports drink and with it being as warm as it was it must have been 90 degree HEED\Water mix. It was the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted.

Not get sick on the bike. I also kind of gave up mentally at this point.
Post race
Warm down:

Got water and bags of ice and stood under the misters to cool off. Then ate some pancakes and french toast.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being sick and the heat and humidity. Was just a bad day for me.

Event comments:

I don't think I'll be doing this race again. The only reason I didn't give it a 1 was the post race food spread was good and they at least passed out bags of ice at the end.

From the disorganization at the beginning in transition, to the race starting 10 minutes late, to the long swim, to the warm HEED on the run course. It was not a very well run race. The two people I ran the race with, both felt the same way. In fact we have all emailed the race director to let her know how disappointed we are.

ETA:
I got an email back from the RD saying the swim was accurate and everbody's time was slow due to the wind. Her last line was that I learn how to breath on both sides while swimming. I guess a due east swim start at daybreak has nothing to do with not being able to see the single bouy they had out there. Her last line put me over the edge. No more RAM races for me or buying a single item at their store.

Last updated: 2009-07-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:50 | 1640 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Terrible course. We started out on a narrow beach and the funneled you out of a 20 foot wide marina into the main lake. You then made a right turn and headed directly into the sun. There were only 3 bouys to sight off of and with the sun you couldn't see anything. After getting to the turn bouy you made an almost 180 degree turn and headed towards shore. You got out of the water at a dock that fit 2 people at a time. The water was murky and full of weeds. The course was longer than a 1/2 IM. Not a single person I talked to said it was correct. This has to be the worse course I have ever swam on.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:57
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:30 | 24.85 miles | 18.99 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Course was a two loop course with some small hills on it. It was extremely hot and winds gusting up to 30 mph. The course was also short by a mile. The roads were in decent shape for most of it.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:35
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:05:30 | 06.21 miles | 10m 33s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back. Had some small rollers in it.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2009-08-10 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Bangs Lake MultiSport Festival

2009-08-10 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2338119

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
Subject: RE: Bangs Lake MultiSport Festival
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was dissapointed with this race. That swim was crazy.
2009-08-10 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

Oh man, when you said you didn't feel well on the bike, I didn't realize you puked....ugggh!!! I'm willing to bet that stupid azz water had A LOT to do with it!! I am going to follow your lead and will email the rd about my dissapoinment as well.  I agree with you on all fronts...ESPECIALLY on the run...what the heck with barely any water stations and that Heed stuff was like drinking liquid vomit...SERIOUSLY??? It's about 98 degrees out here and that's all you have??? I was pissed!

Way to gut it out Matt...I know how hard it is to do when you just wanted to say F it...I was SO there!

2009-08-10 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey, nice job sticking it thru.  About the same as I did.  Swim had to be long.  Just had to.  And the water on the run!!! Man, I knew I had to get like a liter in me at the first table, but it was like doing shots of coffee. I didnt know if I was going to actually rehydrate or just barf at that first water stop.
2009-08-11 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Good job out there. I was really considering this race for next year, but after all these reports I'm thinking now!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bangs Lake MultiSport Festival Rss Feed