General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone double up bike shorts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-08-17 7:24 PM
in reply to: #2354266

User image

Subject: RE: Anyone double up bike shorts?
irondreams - 2009-08-17 6:27 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I think I am going to keep it simple as well.  I am going to swim in my tri shorts and if I decide to change it would only be in T2. 

Be careful if you're talking about swimming in a pool. The shorts will become see through after a couple weeks to months. If it's open water, disregard warning

2009-08-17 7:58 PM
in reply to: #2354206

New user
Subject: RE: Anyone double up bike shorts?
Aikidoman - 2009-08-17 2:42 PM Tri short, the whole time for any distance, IMO.

If your position is correct, your saddle selection is correct, and you have put the time in sitting on it, tri shorts should be all you need, me thinks.

I even worry about having something under you bike shorts.  They are supposed to be worn with nothing on underneath, so having another pair under would worry me.  I would go the route of changing out my swimsuit into bike shorts, then put on running shorts with underwear before doubling up.

WHATEVER you do, practice it a couple times first.  And not for short rides.  Get some long rides in with the way you plan to race.

I'm glad that works for you.  Fortunately, everyone is different, and what works for you, might not work for someone else. 

As I said in my post, a pair of bike shorts on top of a tri suit works great, for me, for long distances.  Given that I just ran a sub 12 hour IM, with zero chafing problems, in that exact outfit, it is obviously a viable option for some people.

The part you definitely got correct, though, is when you said to make sure you practive it a couple of times prior to race day.  NEVER do anything on race day that you have not done multiple times in training.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone double up bike shorts? Rss Feed  

of 2