General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight loss Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-08-17 7:27 PM

Subject: Weight loss
I have been training six days a week for the past 4 years. Riding 20-25 miles per day(indoors @ 3am) and weight training. I started training for my first sprint triathlon about 12 weeks ago. I am following a 12 week program that Lifetime fitness offered. I have done several  time trials and 5k's. Swimming feels good so I am confident I can finsih and do pretty good. My struggle has been with fat loss. I am 5'10 and EVERYDAY I weigh exactly 251.3 lbs!!! My wife helps me watch everything I eat. No junk! I was hydrostat weighed at a local university and they said i was 31% body fat. My calorie expendeture everyday far out paces my intake. Can't figure it out. Any suggestions???

2009-08-17 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2354447

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Weight loss
When were you hydorstat weighed?  Remember muscle weighs more that fat.  Could it be that you are building more muscle?  If it's been some time since that weighing, you might want to be weighed again to see.  I know that I haven't lost much weight over the past few months, but I have notice my upper body has changed a little. And the XL shirts aren't as tight now (still snug, but not constricting). 
2009-08-18 7:18 AM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

My whole life change with bike riding & now Triathalon started with Weight Watchers on-line.  It gives you a good way to track your food and gives you guidelines on what is good food and not so good.

I dropped 75 pounds through WW online.

Kevin 

Edited by b2673ad 2009-08-18 7:18 AM
2009-08-18 8:06 AM
in reply to: #2355015

User image

Modesto, California
b2673ad - 2009-08-18 5:18 AM Hello

My whole life change with bike riding & now Triathalon started with Weight Watchers on-line.  It gives you a good way to track your food and gives you guidelines on what is good food and not so good.

I dropped 75 pounds through WW online.

Kevin 

You may be eating healthy, however if you are eating too many carbs or too many calories you will gain weight and bodyfat. I think Weight Watchers is a good start, it would seem to take all the guess work out of weight loss after some sort of survey but it may be expensive. Things such as calories,Carb/protien/fat intake,sources,amount,frequency of meals etc. all come into play. I think one of the reasons weight loss or fat loss is difficult is that its very complicated and changes for each individual based on metabolism,amount of exercise,intensity,frequency, but diet always seems to be the most important aspect and requires the most discipline. 
2009-08-18 12:36 PM

User image

Regular
Bay City, MI
You could try sparkpeople.com too they have a great food tracker. i never realized how much i was eating untril i put it all in. They even have a couple triathlon groups you can join. and best of all its free.
2009-08-22 1:27 PM

User image

Master
I know this sounds weird, but the more slow and steady training I do, the less I lose weight.
There have been many studies about high-intensity training helping stimulate weight loss.

As far as food tracking, I haven't used the on on BT, but I have used the one at Livestrong.com-it used to be thedailyplate.com.

I find that even if I am good about tracking, the calories I use in exercise are always significantly over what my HR monitor says.

I also read an article recently that said that even HR monitors are often too generous with the calories burned thing.

I find that I need to be about 500 calories below what my base usage is to lose any weight, and it is slow.

For me, at 6 ft 220-I put myself in as lightly active, even though I work out up to 6 hours a week, I sit on my arse most of the time (work, home, etc) it says I use about 2700 calories a say, so I aim for about 2200.

Not as easy as it sounds-I like to eat, and I like to cook, and I work at home-Kitchen is too easy to get to.

Hope this helps

2009-08-25 8:29 AM

Regular
Have you met with a dietician? One possibility is that you are not eating ENOUGH calories.  If you don't met your basic calorie needs your body will actually try to conserve what you do eat to protect itself. You will sometimes see people who are trying to lose weight while exercising increase their calorie count and get some great weight loss.
2009-08-25 11:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota

It may be a matter of adaptation.  Your body has adapted to your current activity level so it needs fewer calories to do the same amount of work, it's also known as a plateau. You need to mix it up and challenge it either by increasing distance or intensity (the coaches warn not to increase both at the same time for the same workout).  Never increase more than 10% at a time and usually dial back 15% on the 4th week for recovery and start again from there.  You can throw in shorter but faster workouts a few days a week too to challenge your muscles in another way.

2009-08-27 1:52 PM

Have you tried incorporating HIIT into your training? 
2009-08-30 11:22 PM
in reply to: #2374574

User image

Expert
Montana
It seems like on of the most important elements in my weight-loss battle has been sleep. When I am getting 7.5 hours on a regular basis, on a regular schedule, I lose much faster.
2009-08-31 1:17 PM

User image

Expert
Its been mentioned multiple times so far but, watching what you eat and knowing what you eat is two different things. Know the calorie intake and stick to a plan that puts you negative by at least 3500 calories a week. Since ive started recording my intake I've magically started losing weight (guess i wasnt being as good as i thought).

2009-08-31 2:03 PM

New user
I feel your pain.  I have been stuck at 270 for well over 2 months.  I track what I eat and what I do.

I can't see eating any less then I do, I'm going to try eating MORE!

If you figure out the magic answer, let me know.  I'm clueless and frustrated at this point.
2009-08-31 3:54 PM

Veteran

Hi,

I can understand your frustration since I have been there and still can be there. I was 240 am now 170 and have completed 3 sprint tri’s and have 3 remaining. Here’s how I did it.

On February 7th 2008, I began my weight loss journey by 1st quitting alcohol and within the first month I lost 10 lbs. I thought wow that was easy and I was hooked. I then stopped ordering pizza and Chinese food and lost another 10 pounds. I remained at 220 throughout the summer of last year and still couldn't lose anymore. 

On September 5th 2008, I joined Weight Watchers and lost 10 pounds. I was now down to 210. I truly did not know how much I ate until I wrote down every thing that went into my mouth. Even a lick of peanut butter went on my journal. I thought WOW I eat TOO MUCH it was an epiphany!

I remained with WW for only six weeks but joined a gym on October 17th. I kept an exercise journal but by March of this year I was still 205! It wasn't until I combined both an exercise journal AND a food journal that the remainder of the weight dropped off.

As of today I am 170, I still keep both an exercise and food journal and I'm not where I want to be but I am definitely not where I was and I'm happy and you can be too.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/index.aspx

2009-08-31 4:13 PM
in reply to: #2381150

New user
dointris - 2009-08-31 4:54 PM

Hi,

I can understand your frustration since I have been there and still can be there. I was 240 am now 170 and have completed 3 sprint tri’s and have 3 remaining. Here’s how I did it.

On February 7th 2008, I began my weight loss journey by 1st quitting alcohol and within the first month I lost 10 lbs. I thought wow that was easy and I was hooked. I then stopped ordering pizza and Chinese food and lost another 10 pounds. I remained at 220 throughout the summer of last year and still couldn't lose anymore. 

On September 5th 2008, I joined Weight Watchers and lost 10 pounds. I was now down to 210. I truly did not know how much I ate until I wrote down every thing that went into my mouth. Even a lick of peanut butter went on my journal. I thought WOW I eat TOO MUCH it was an epiphany!

I remained with WW for only six weeks but joined a gym on October 17th. I kept an exercise journal but by March of this year I was still 205! It wasn't until I combined both an exercise journal AND a food journal that the remainder of the weight dropped off.

As of today I am 170, I still keep both an exercise and food journal and I'm not where I want to be but I am definitely not where I was and I'm happy and you can be too.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/index.aspx

I keep a PERFECT record of what I eat.  I exercise a minimum of 6 days a week.  Usually 7 days a week with many 2 a days.

The first thing people assume is one is not tracking properly and treat you like you're an idiot.  Maybe the idiot is the last one to know they are one, but I'm certainly eating a deficit of calories.
2009-08-31 4:46 PM

User image

Expert
In whats usually very rare cases people do consume too few calories, which can dramatically slow down your metabolism reducing the amount of calories you need even more thus resulting in a slowing of weight loss. No idea if this applies to you, and as I've learned most of these things over the web I claim no true dietary knowledge so take this with a grain of salt.
2009-08-31 5:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY
You might also want to schedule an appt with your doctor to have some blood work done.   I have done weight watchers too (and it's amazing!), but 2 years ago was battling with some health concerns, and it turned out it was hypothyroid.  I wouldn't have had a clue had I not gone to my doctor.  So, it's possible there's something going on that isn't explained.     Just another idea for you to try, but don't give up!!!

I agree with tracking what you eat.  I'm a lifetime member of WW (meaning I achieved my goal and have kept it off), but I still track what I eat because otherwise I fall into the bad habits and into larger portion sizes.  You might not be eating junk, but our whole society has gone crazy with large portions so that we don't have a clue what a real serving of everything looks like.  It's possible that you're eating "good things", but just too much of them.    And, just because it says fat free might mean that there are more empty calories too.  I have to read every label to see what's in things because you never know anymore what companies are sticking in there!

GOod luck to you!

2009-09-01 9:35 PM

User image

Delaware, OH

I GAINED weight but lost sizes.  I never step on the scale anymore- I judge my weight loss on how my fave pair of jeans fit. 

Why oh why do you weigh yourself every day?  Are you sure your scale works? 

2009-09-02 9:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Wow. I so needed this.  I'm 5'9" and weighed in at 189.2 last week.  I'm proud to say that after a week of weight watchers I did lose 1.2 pounds.  I lose VERY slowly and it is frustrating.  I tried to lose weight with tri's alone this year and after 4 of them (and all the training involved) I weighed exactly the same.

My inspiration was actually Lance Armstrong.  He watches what HE eats even when (especially when) biking up to 7 hours a day!  If he has to have a whole-wheat bagel with light cream cheese on such a day then that should be my prescription as well!

Thanks for sharing,everyone. I don't feel so alone in my struggle now!  People always say to me "you exercise SO much I can't believe you haven't lost weight!" Well...folks we've heard it a million times and it is TRUE.

DIET   plus   EXERCISE!!!  (BOOOO! ::wink:
2009-09-03 5:01 PM

Veteran

I'm so happy to hear that WW is working successfully in everyone's lives.

Just for clarification, WW is not a diet nor do you buy pre-packaged food the only expense is the weekly 45 minute in person meeting which is as little as $9.00 per week. However, there is also WW online and I cannot speak of it for I have only gone to the in person meetings. But this is my explanation here's what the website says:

<form enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded">

WeightWatchers.com

The Weight Watchers approach vs. a “typical“ diet

Stop Dieting Start Living. Weight Watchers doesn’t teach you how to diet. We are dedicated to inspiring and helping you adopt a healthier way to live. For life. So you can successfully learn how to lose weight and keep it off by living , not dieting.

What Weight Watchers offers:

When you’re on a “typical” diet you get:

An integrated approach emphasizing good eating choices, healthy habits, a supportive environment and exercise.

A focus just on food. Most “diets” tend to ignore exercise and other factors necessary for sustained weight loss.

A plan that allows you to eat what you like, with an emphasis on nutrition and advice on staying satisfied by choosing the foods you enjoy.

Rigid rules you must follow to succeed or requirements that eliminate some foods entirely. Often, you must buy special foods from a specific diet company.

A sensible plan to help you lose weight at a healthy rate plus the knowledge and info you need to help you keep it off for good.

Promises of rapid weight loss with little effort, but no information on how to keep the weight off for the long haul.

A time-tested approach informed by analyzing years of scientific studies.

“Proof” often based on one scientific study designed to support the diet’s claims.

Flexible food plans that can adapt to any lifestyle or unique needs.

Little consideration for you as an individual, with just one approach to suit everyone’s needs.

2009-09-03 5:05 PM

Veteran
This was cut off so I'm posting it again. 

The Weight Watchers approach vs. a “typical“ diet

Stop Dieting Start Living. Weight Watchers doesn’t teach you how to diet. We are dedicated to inspiring and helping you adopt a healthier way to live. For life. So you can successfully learn how to lose weight and keep it off by living , not dieting.
What Weight Watchers offers:When you’re on a “typical” diet you get:
An integrated approach emphasizing good eating choices, healthy habits, a supportive environment and exercise.A focus just on food. Most “diets” tend to ignore exercise and other factors necessary for sustained weight loss.
A plan that allows you to eat what you like, with an emphasis on nutrition and advice on staying satisfied by choosing the foods you enjoy.Rigid rules you must follow to succeed or requirements that eliminate some foods entirely. Often, you must buy special foods from a specific diet company.
A sensible plan to help you lose weight at a healthy rate plus the knowledge and info you need to help you keep it off for good.Promises of rapid weight loss with little effort, but no information on how to keep the weight off for the long haul.
A time-tested approach informed by analyzing years of scientific studies.“Proof” often based on one scientific study designed to support the diet’s claims.
Flexible food plans that can adapt to any lifestyle or unique needs.Little consideration for you as an individual, with just one approach to suit everyone’s needs.

2009-09-04 7:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coming from someone who lost 60 lbs in the last year and a half...exercise is AN ingredient but your food intake is MORE important.  As someone mentioned above you may not be eating enough believe it or not.  Start tracking EVERYTHING you eat.  Don't skip a day or a meal.  I used calorie count to track my food back in the day.  When I started I blew my knee out so couldn't do any exercising for 2 1/2 months, still lost a lot of weight.  When I started exercising I actually had to increase my calorie intake about 1000 calories a day.  Sounds weird but it is true. 

Good Luck!!!

2009-09-25 2:32 PM

Veteran
Subject: RE: Weight loss-need ideas to continue

As you know I just lost 70 pounds and my tri season will be over as of Sunday and I'm sad that it's over but I'm a little nervous about the calories I won't be burning it's just so easy to burn them when your tri'ng. I still need to lose another 40 pounds so I need advice on how to keep off the pounds and lose more but how w/out the tri'ng?

2009-09-25 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2426627

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: RE: Weight loss-need ideas to continue
Doin - I made the mistake of not being active last winter after my tris and spent the last few months trying to re-lose some weight. I'm back down to 100 lost and my plan for not gaining back anything involves signing up for a fall 15k race, and signing up for a bigger race next year that would ensure I keep up my base training all winter long. I still have to lose 50lbs but i'm pretty confident that if I keep it up its only a matter of time.

Signing up for something is good motivation to keep going. There is something about plopping down $$ for something.

Also if you werent already doing it writing down your food intake is a huge help in making sure you don't over-do anything. I know you said you did WW not sure if your still counting points or not.

Edited by IdealMuse 2009-09-25 2:49 PM
2009-09-25 3:26 PM

Veteran

Thanks I took the big leap and signed up and paid for a 10k am I nuts, ah ya I do tri's. It’s the tufts 10k for women over 10 thousand women. Holy crap I can't even believe I just signed up for it. So keep the words comin' 'cuz I'm clueless on how to live healthy, it's been a long, long time. I loved the quote from Animal House when Dean Vernon Wormer says ... Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

I will take every person's advice because I cannot regain this weight and I will not waste any more of my life it's up to me and only me so it's time to "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'. (Shawshank Redemption)

2009-09-25 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2426750

User image

Master
Chicago
Congrats Doin!

Sounds like it should be interesting. I know someone else online doing that race.

I actually haven't ever done a running race yet and I fully expect to be the last one in mine unless there are walkers, but I don't care. I'm doing this to keep me healthy and not to prove anything to someone else. I might do a half mary in the spring too. Running is really really good for burning off those extra calories makes for more wiggle room from nutritional mistakes.

I think you'll be okay. It can be a little hard to keep motivated in the colder months. Having a treadmill or trainer helps for when you just can't push you butt out into the cold weather. I have a TV in front of both of mine so it helps to make the time go by faster.

With food what helps me is to just keep things you have bad control over out of the house. You can always get things as a treat, but if its not there in a weak moment then you end up making better overall choices.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight loss Rss Feed  

of 2