General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any new really good transition advice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-08-18 10:58 PM

User image

Subject: Any new really good transition advice?
Doing my first tri (oly) and would love to get some really good transition advice. Not just the "goggles in the wetsuit sleeve" stuff but some REAL advice esp. for novices.

2009-08-18 11:07 PM
in reply to: #2357278

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Subject: RE: Any new really good transition advice?
Make sure you know how to re-rack your bike in T2.  When I racked my bike before the race it was the second on there, no problem.  When I grabbed it in T1 there were only a couple left but when I returned in T2 the rack was full and I found that with the weight of the other bikes mine was too tall to slide under the bar.  I ended up just sort of wedging it in on an angle but figuring out what to do cost me time.
2009-08-18 11:56 PM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Run faster. Transitions are NOT rest periods!!!

Oh, and stick a note inside your running shoes that says "HELMET!!!" so you remember to take off your helmet in T2.
2009-08-19 12:31 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Best thing to do is actually do what we do with the other three parts of our sport... train. Seriously, how many of us actually train on getting a good transitions? We buy aerowheels and aero helmets, hoping to save what... 40-60sec over a 24mile (40k) ride.. praticing a good transition can save almost the same... and it's FREE!

Edited by audiojan 2009-08-19 12:32 AM
2009-08-19 11:09 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Elastic shoe laces or lace locks!

My first Tri I had to fumble/stumble with lacing shoes AND double knotting them because the always come undone if I don't.  But now I have elastic laces and they work great!

X2 on the bike racking comment above.  I had similar experience.
2009-08-19 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
x2 on the above

1) be organized with yoru stuff and lay it out in the order you will need it
2) practice!!!  Also, go over each Tran in your head so it is second nature
3) run (or run harder) through the tran area
4) mark your row/rack somehow - chalk, marker on the end, etc.  I don't like the balloon idea so much as wind can cause it to swirl around and get in your way (or maybe worse, one of your fellow racers)
5) don't use socks if you can get by without as they can be slow to put on

and about a million other ideas....

2009-08-19 11:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Wolverine, Michigan
I don't have a lot of race experience, but I did a lot of research, thinking and planing.  I had some of the best times of everyone in my first tri.  Keep it simple.

If you can wear your clothes with your number under your wetsuit

Start taking your suit off as soon as you can stand up (wetsuit not your bathing suit), but not so far as it will impact your running.

Elastic Laces

If you can - No Socks on bike or run

Shoes the right direction so you don't have to turn them

Helmet right direction

Run faster in T1 than the run leg, you can catch your breath in T1 and on the bike.

The less you have to touch the better.
2009-08-19 11:42 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Practice them..do a series of run to simulated T1, do T1 go ride your bike around the block, do T2 and then go run around the block. Do maybe 3-5 practice mini tris. For my kids I make them run around a tree and get their feet wet to simulate coming out of the swim....for grown ups I say that is optional. If you plan to wear a wetsuit I'd put that on and practice taking it off on way to your T1 and soak yourself with garden hose.

My previous coach had a clinic on transitions and we all did it then they gave us one on one advice. One thing I learned was how to run with my bike better..hold the stem and it goes straight or where I want my bike to go. I see lots of folks hold their saddle me I can't get that to work for me..but stem works great.

Keep it simple less is better in transtion. What you can do while running is best..I have my hat with my run stuff..I put my shoes on and pick up my hat and head out of transition and deal with the stuff in my hat on the go.
2009-08-19 11:51 AM

User image

Master

Practice at home, again as you are packing (to make sure you have everything) and again once you get to transition and learn the lay of the land. 

Sure, it looks dumb to be pantomiming your transitions before the race, but it pays off when you know exactly which way to come in from the swim, which way is best to rack your bike, where to put your stuff and which way to run out.

And, if you tie your shoes ahead of time (loosely), you can just slip them off and in T1, just ram your feet into them.  No need buy any special laces.

Kathy G and I do the same thing with the run stuff.  Hook it all together (visor, number belt, handbottle or fuelbelt etc) so you can rack your bike, lose the helmet and shoes then grab and go.  You can apply the visor and belt(s) as you are running out or once your HR comes down.

2009-08-19 12:07 PM

Petaluma, CA
I think more attention is paid to transition then probably should be.  I had one of the best transition times in my first triathlon and didn't prepare much.  I watched a few videos to see how it's done, but didn't practice.  I was very casual about the whole process and didn't stress myself about it. 

If you look at a race like the Hyvee Triathlon, the first 4 finishers came in within 4 seconds.  Transition really matters in that case.  In my case, I was MOP, so sitting down in T2 to have a sandwich, had that been part of my plan, wasn't going to destroy my goals.  I guess my point is that you might find that you'll have a better transition if you keep it simple and don't fill your mind with a multitude of details.  Get your wetsuit off, change your shoes, put your helmet on and go.  Just don't forget to strap your helmet before you leave.  
2009-08-19 12:27 PM

This isn't so much in transation, but when you are aproaching T2 make sure you know where the dismount line is and you slow down enough to get there safely. It sounds like common sense, but when people get caught up in the race experience they tend not to slow down enough and can fumble and fall which can cost them and others time.

Also, when you rack your bike before the race, practice putting it on and off the rack a couple times to make sure you have it where you want it and that it is not caught on anything. The yankz are a really good time saver and you can make it easier to put socks on if you need them by scrunching them up ahead of time so they go just over your toes, then during the race put them over your toes and pull them up over the rest of your foot.

Good luck!! Your going to have a blast!!

2009-08-19 12:40 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

For those of us who wear sox, like the previous poster said, roll them up first. I put them facedown in my bike shoes with my helmet face up pointing the right direction for me to put it on.

I practice my transitions so that I can put my sox and my bike shoes on in 4 seconds. I count one-one thousand putting my first sock on, two-one thousand putting my bike shoe on, three-one thousand putting my other sock on and four-one thousand putting my 2nd bike shoe on. Practice it so it is smooth.

My last tri I saw a guy running out of T1 with his bike on his shoulder. He passed me in T1.

2009-08-19 1:35 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
I wear socks and can't stand sand between my toes while I'm biking/running, so I keep a nalgene bottle of water almost opened at T1.  I simply pour it on my feet right before rolling my socks on while standing on my transition towel (that way I don't make a wet mess of the transition area on everyone around me).  It's a lot faster than trying to towel off the sand from wet feet like I did during my first tri.  But in the end when you classify everything in transition as either "comfort" vs "speed" it's still in the 'comfort' category, but just 'faster' than other comfort ways.

For longer distance I love my cycling gloves, but I don't spend the time in the transition area to put them on.  I use the velcro strap on the gloves to hook them onto my aerobars.  Then I'm able to get on the bike and start pedaling and put them on sometime in the first few miles.  Yes you're going slower while you put them on, but you're going faster than if you took the time to put them on in T1.

2009-08-19 1:38 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

keep it simple

My first tri you'd thought I was moving in I brought so much crap, nad I never used half of it. So only take what is necessary.

2009-08-19 1:44 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
I typed out a list in a large font of what had to go down in T1 anf T2 and placed it on my transition towel.  I'm glad I did because I almost forgot my race belt! 
2009-08-19 1:46 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
For T2, I don't have a number belt or tri specific clothing.  So there's two options for your number.  Use an old shoe string you can attach the number to as a belt (you can even tie a cheap key chain carabiner to one end and a loop on the other so you can just clip it on and have it the right size).  The other option... I hate running in my cycling jerseys, the elastic on the waist tends to ride up my stomach and I'm constantly pulling it back down.  So I have another shirt in T2 with my race number already attached to the front of it laid out, I can pull off my jersey and grab the other shirt with my number on it as I start to run away and have the shirt on before I'm even out of the transition area.

2009-08-19 1:47 PM
in reply to: #2358429

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Do a forum search for "transition" and find a wealth of information.

Keep it very simple.  Put everything you'll need on the bike, on the bike.  All I have waiting for me in transition is:

bike shoes
Helmet, glasses resting on aerobars

running shoes (no socks for sprint, otherwise socks in shoes - stretched and open and facing right way)
running hat with race number belt in it, to put on while leaving T2

That's it!

2009-08-19 1:51 PM

User image

Buttercup

Use as little space to setup your stuff as possible. As one race director was heard to say again and again over the PA system, "this isn't a camping site."  You are sharing a rack with other competitors; make sure you aren't hogging limited and valuable real estate with your transition shtuff. Put your bag and non-race gear back in your car or somewhere other than the transition area, after you have setup your transition space.

Edited by Renee 2009-08-19 1:58 PM
2009-08-19 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2358412

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
jford2309 - 2009-08-19 12:38 PM

keep it simple

My first tri you'd thought I was moving in I brought so much crap, nad I never used half of it. So only take what is necessary.

I disagree in a way.  I keep a bag of "other stuff" off out of my way in the transition area.  Everything I need is laid out like normal, but the bag is off to the side 'just in case' something goes wrong.  Extra tubes, extra CO2s, first aid kit, extra foldable tire (one of my old ones that still has enough life to make it through one last race),  extra bottle of water (useful for a variety of things, but just in case I need to clean off a wound from falling on pavement or something like that).  Luckily I haven't needed any of the gear in there, but I'm sure I'll be glad I have it if I ever had to reach over there for it.  But I don't let the bag get in the way of my 'normal' setup.

Edited to say:  the bag is small though, it's not a camp site like the other poster mentioned and I make sure it's self-contained and doesn't get in anyone elses way either.

Edited by zionvier 2009-08-19 1:59 PM
2009-08-19 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2358456

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
zionvier - 2009-08-19 1:56 PM

keep it simple

I disagree in a way.  I keep a bag of "other stuff" off out of my way in the transition area.  Everything I need is laid out like normal, but the bag is off to the side 'just in case' something goes wrong.  Extra tubes, extra CO2s, first aid kit, extra foldable tire (one of my old ones that still has enough life to make it through one last race),  extra bottle of water (useful for a variety of things, but just in case I need to clean off a wound from falling on pavement or something like that).  Luckily I haven't needed any of the gear in there, but I'm sure I'll be glad I have it if I ever had to reach over there for it.  But I don't let the bag get in the way of my 'normal' setup.

Edited to say:  the bag is small though, it's not a camp site like the other poster mentioned and I make sure it's self-contained and doesn't get in anyone elses way either.

Disagree if you want, but these kinds of things can be brought, but left in your vehicle. Events that will cause you to need them are rare; if it happens a trip back to the car will be a small price to pay.

In my sprint transition bag I pack:
  • Small towel (transition mat and rarely used to wipe sweat or dirt)
  • Goggles
  • Swim cap
  • Race belt w/number attached

That's it. Bike shoes stay on the bike, running shoes are on my feet, helmet is on my head as I usually ride my bike in from parking. Nutrition, hydration, and and flat repair is preloaded on the bike.

In T1, place goggles and swim cap on the mat, put my helmet on, grab the bike and go.

In T2, rack the bike, quickly slip into running shoes, grab running cap and race belt, and go.

There are no socks, no sunglasses, no washing of the feet, no nutrition taken, no sitting down in either transition.

Simplified, planned, organized and practiced.

Edited by the bear 2009-08-19 2:16 PM
2009-08-19 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2358456

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

zionvier - 2009-08-19 1:56 PM

keep it simple

Majority of that stuff is in a bag underneath my seat on the bike. Ido have other items in my car trunk (like extra goggles, etc...) but I do not bring them to the transition area. Just me though, you should bring whatever makes you comfortable I guess.

2009-08-20 1:46 AM
in reply to: #2358135

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Mrs. brown_dog_us - 2009-08-19 12:51 PM

Practice at home, again as you are packing (to make sure you have everything) and again once you get to transition and learn the lay of the land. 

Sure, it looks dumb to be pantomiming your transitions before the race, but it pays off when you know exactly which way to come in from the swim, which way is best to rack your bike, where to put your stuff and which way to run out.

Yep, absolutely. I went down to the water exit about calf deep, and practiced every single move all the way to getting on my bike and starting uphill. That way, I knew the EXACT layout, I knew where to go when disoriented, and I knew my bike was in the right gearing to go uphill out of T1. Did the same for T2 - bike in, dismount, rack, switch gear, run out. I don't care what it looked like, I KILLED the transitions.

My goal was to never, ever think in transition - just do.
2009-08-22 9:53 PM

User image

You guys are great. Thank you.
2009-08-23 1:00 AM

Eagle River, Alaska
BT rocks! Anytime I have a question to ask, someone has already beaten me to the punch, and the answers are there too! Thanks to all for helping us newbies along.
2009-08-23 8:55 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Learn how to run with your bike by holding the seat, if you dont already know how.

Learn how to have your shoes already connected to your bike, using rubber bands, so you dont have to fumble with bike shoes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any new really good transition advice? Rss Feed  

of 2