General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is it possible to have Triathlon legs and Mogul Skiing legs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-12-28 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2579974

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Is it possible to have Triathlon legs and Mogul Skiing legs

NorthernNewbie - 2009-12-28 8:57 AM An answer to the question: YES.

I have only done 1 leg workout with weights, and 2 Plyometric workouts in the last year.  Everything else has been running and biking.  Untill the snow came a month ago the running had a lot of hills and since then it has been mostly on the treeadmill.  The biking for the last 2 months has been follwing Jorge's Winter plan on the trainer so that has been pretty intense.

I really skied moguls for the first time this year last night.  Well that is an understatement, I pounded them.  Top to bottom, no standing around, just bumps for 1:20 minutes straight.  The legs felt great, even after 7 miles on the treadmill this morning.  Probably felt better than if I had done my normal preparation with weights and Plyometrics.

The lower back is another story, that is sore.

Nice going. Sounds like you've ramped up your tri training and your skiing will benefit as a result. I've had that lower back pain and it seems to take a few good days of bumps to get the back adjusted.

Have a great ski season!

2009-12-28 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2358772

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Donskiman - 2009-08-19 3:50 PM

graceful_dave - 2009-08-19 1:11 PM
Donskiman - 2009-08-19 2:03 PM
breckview - 2009-08-19 12:47 PM
chandy14ski - 2009-08-19 11:55 AM Why would you waste time skiing bumps when you can go so much faster racing gates over on the ice! 
People ski on ice? That's weird.

Must be from the East Coast. ;-)
The right coast that is. If you can learn to ski well in the east, you can ski well anywhere. 

That's not skiing, it's ice skating. As a former hockey player I already know how to ice skate. ;-)

The last time I skied in Utah I was with a local. We got done a run and at the bottom he says "wow, those were tight trees." I replied with "there were trees on that run?" If you don't have to crouch and cover your head it's not a tree run to an eastern skier. I also love the, aim for a hole and hope there's room to slow down on the other side, model of eastern tree skiing. Helmets were the greatest thing ever for tree skiing. It makes it much easier to bash through the lower hanging stuff and tall shrubbery.

I've been more challenged skiing in the east then anywhere that I have skied in the west. Of course I can't tackle the really big lines because I don't have the back country safety skills to attempt them. But steep and deep is cake compared to steep, icy and little room to maneuver.

I can't wait to get on snow. I've missed the early season because of an injury and a planned operation. Thinking of taking out the skate skis and doing some XC this evening. Gotta get in a day or two of alpine in the next couple weeks because I have a work trip planned to SLC at the end of January. I might make a mistake and book my flight out for Friday evening instead of Monday morning.
2009-12-28 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2357707

User image

Elite
Miami
i am jealous for all of you that can ski 100+

i used to live in utah so i would be on the slope every chance I had.  personally, only weights seem to do the trick getting ready for ski season.  cycling and running gave me little endurance but i always found different muscles skiing moguls versus running or cycling.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is it possible to have Triathlon legs and Mogul Skiing legs Rss Feed  

of 2