JPDF
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 54m 15s
Overall Rank = 2835/3529
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 120/163
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and listened to the rainfall and then realized that I was listening to the rain fall and then realized that I was listening to the rain fall that I was going to be running in. Woke Roy up so he could listen to the rain fall and then realize that HE too was listening to the rain fall that he was going to be running in. Took a shower and ate my oatmeal with peanut butter and drank my coffee.
Event warmup:

Ran about a mile from the parking lot where we parked to the registration. There were some aerobics people warming us up, but I chose to do the potty aerobics instead. We found Pam and Tracy and the bathroom and did that. When we came out of the bathroom it was raining. Then a few minutes later...it was pouring. Wheee! This is gonna be fun!
Run
  • 54m 15s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I did NOT beat the bridge! About 15 minutes before our wave ran, it started raining. Then it started pouring. Then it starting raining AND pouring. Anyhow, that made for some VERY slick streets. I almost made it...and by almost I mean they were counting down to ten and I was sprinting and I COULD have sneaked in after the "1" but I decided to stick to the letter of "rules" so when they hit 1 I stopped. I was right in front with one other person in front of me. The bridge went up, music was playing, it was pouring, I was dancing. I called Roy up to join me (I would have waited on the other side for him anyhow) and he eyeballed me and pretended not to know me because I was dancing in the rain in the middle of Seattle on a drawbridge. He found that odd for some reason. Hmph!

I was running slower intentionally. I saw four people fall hard slipping on the street on manhole covers, plus we ran over two bridges with those metal roads (you could see right through to the river...it was FREAKY). It was a lot of fun, though.

Anyhow...there were three waves. The fastest wave started first and had 30 minutes to make the 2 miles to the bridge, second fastest had 25, and the slow wave (which we chose), had 20. Explain to me how THAT made any sense. We let the blue wave go, then the yellow, we did a "wave" in our wave (the salmon...and we felt like it, swimming upstream). It was SLOW coming off the starting, but I figured I could make it up...but the streets were pretty slick. So I just decided to have fun and enjoy myself and not worry if I didn't beat the bridge.

We hit .1 miles and someone on the side yelled out "One tenth!" so I screamed "Wooo!!!! One tenth!!!! Woo!! That's only...um...nevermind."

Must have made just about exactly ten min miles, I forgot my Garmin and my watch so I'm not sure exactly, by bridge time. So as I said we waited, and we danced (okay *I* danced...party poopers), and then the bridge went back down after five minutes, and we took off again. It rained the ENTIRE time. It was pretty out. It's always so pretty when the rain is falling on the spring leaves, and even though we were in the city there are so many blooming trees, that the air was perfumed with flowers.

I finished with the clock saying 1:03:41 which means -10 for being in the last wave and -5 for sitting at the bridge, I did a 48:41 min 5 mile run, so I'm okay with that. A few slow spots (bridges, corners, some areas where we were literally puddle jumping), very few "fast" spots, but still a lot of fun. As we ran in they showed us on the Jumbotron, so I was able to watch Roy run in and cheer him on as he came in about 5 min after me.

We decided this was our start of our half marathon training, as we plan to do the San Francisco half on July 31. Roy's run felt good too, which makes me happy. I was SO afraid he would fall and hurt himself, since the man manages to fall in the bathroom without any help or slick streets. He was fine, although as we were walking back on a perfectly level sidewalk, he slipped and I grabbed him to keep him from going down. I told him I was going to bubble wrap him and get him a walker, or one of those baby walker things with the blow up rings so he doesn't hurt himself. I'm married to a klutz!

What would you do differently?:

Run faster! Drink more!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to the parking lot and found Starbucks. Drank coffee. Coffee good. Starbucks good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The rain and fear of serious slippage.

Event comments:

I will definitely do this again next year, and then the bridge is mine. Oh yes, the bridge is mine. I'm going to start in the last wave, too, because that's where it's a challenge! I will definitely seed myself at the front, though. I will also not dawdle and will leave my darling spouse in my dust if he does dawdle. It's me or the bridge next time. Me or the bridge.

Course support was awesome! All of them had some sort of noisemaker and they almost all yelled and cheered as we ran by. One thing, though, don't yell "YOu're almost there" unless you are, indeed, almost there. I heard "You're almost there" about five times before I was truly "almost there".

Good times! Hopefully next year there will be a little less liquid sunshine! Next year, the bridge is going DOWN (with me on the OTHER side of it).

Last updated: 2005-05-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:15 | 05 miles | 10m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 120/163
Overall: 163/3529
Performance: Good
Since I did not beat the bridge, subtract 5 minutes from that for the bridge wait (they keep you there for five minutes). So my real time was 48:41 or a 9.73 min mile pace.
Course: Started at Hec Ed Pavillion on the UW campus. It was raining. It was pouring. Somewhere, I am sure, an old man was snoring. Water was running down the street in torrents! Ran up Montlake Blvd and around to the Montlake Bridge. JUUUUUSSTTT missed the bridge going up, and could have made it through if I wasn't such a good little girl.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-15 8:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest
Subject: Beat the Bridge

2005-05-15 8:23 PM
in reply to: #157935

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: RE: Beat the Bridge
Great report, what a laugh, you have a real skill with words, good run as well.

Best of luck beating the bridge next year, that bridge is going DOWN!!

Paul
2005-05-15 8:33 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Nice work! Kudos to you for even going in that downpour. Honestly, I would've rolled over for more sleep, or stayed home to enjoy more coffee. I love the idea of beating the bridge!

-Sarah
2005-05-15 10:02 PM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
What a cool race!  Sometimes a race can just seem like a mass long run with support.  But to have to "make a bridge" in the middle?  That rocks!  It gives a great intermediate goal...can I make it in 20 min?  In 25 or 30?  Awesome!

And, what a great attitude to be dancing in the rain!  Keep that attitude and finish strong!
2005-05-15 10:16 PM

User image

Tory, Glad you had fun in the Seattle Sunshine!  Next year maybe we can meet up before/after the Beat the Bridge.  I did it last year and they raised the bridge 10 minutes ahead of schedule so I was made to dance for five minutes also. I would love to beat that darn bridge with you!

Michele

2005-05-15 10:19 PM

User image

Tory, Glad you had fun in the Seattle Sunshine!  Next year maybe we can meet up before/after the Beat the Bridge.  I did it last year and they raised the bridge 10 minutes ahead of schedule so I was made to dance for five minutes also. I would love to beat that darn bridge with you!

Michele

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beat the Bridge Rss Feed