General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drinks and gels - what do you use? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-08-27 7:45 AM

User image

Subject: Drinks and gels - what do you use?
I have read a few posts where people refer to recovery drinks and gels that they use during training and races. I did a little research online for these things and there is a ton of info, but I would love to hear from you all about what your favorites are and why.

Also, as triathletes, what do you look for in these products?

Thanks!

2009-08-27 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2373449

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Drinks and gels - what do you use?
I use Hammer Gels and Heed. I also use the Kirkland sports drink from Costco. I chose the Hammer products because I tolerate them better on the long stuff. I've used other products that did not work as well for me.

Note: What works for me won't necessarily work for someone else. It takes a bit of trial and error during the long workouts to nail this stuff down.
2009-08-27 8:33 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-08-27 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2373564

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
JeepFleeb - 2009-08-27 9:33 AM For gels, go buy a handfull of different brands and flavors to try out and see what you like.  There's a lot to be said for finding the flavor and texture that you'll like while you're working out.  Gels don't do much good if you hate them so much that you don't bother eating them.

What he said ^^^.

But of course I would highly recommend Gu and their new drink as well (replaced the Gu2O they used to have).
2009-08-27 9:07 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-08-27 9:20 AM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I use GU20 because it's not a sugary and heavy as some of the other drinks I've tried. I still have to finish a just-opened tub before I try out their new version, but I hope it's similar.

I've never tried anything but GU since it has worked for my stomach.

2009-08-27 9:25 AM

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
These days, wate, Nuun, and occasionally G2. But I'm only doing runs of <90minutes and rides <2 hours. When I bump up the duration, I'll go to water, regular Gatorade, and various gels. Particularly like the CarbBoom Apple Cinamon
2009-08-27 9:45 AM

Not a Coach
Media, PA
All I am really looking for is easily digestible calories that I can tolerate.  I've found many things that work fine for me.

For my upcoming IM, I will use Infinit, Carb-boom gels and Gatorade Endurance.

I don't really use 'recovery' drinks, excepting some chocolate milk.  I use that because I like it and it's cheap.  (It's 'effective' because it has a mix of carbs & protein.)
2009-08-27 10:18 AM

Regular
Bronze member
I also really like the Hammer gels and Heed.  I also like clif shot bloks (they taste like candy to me), but can't use them in a high intensity workout.  For recovery drinks I like good old fashion chocolate milk or Hammer's Recoverite.
Erica
2009-08-27 10:23 AM

Master
Southern Ontario
I use Sport Beans instead of gels most of the time.  However, for racing I will use whatever is on the course.  So this year I trained with Power Gels.  In general - I like chocolate or vanilla anything.  I like Gu better than Hammer Gels in Chocolate - but I've heard great things about the Hammer Apple Cinnamon flavour.  I also like the Honey Stingers. 

For fluids I like Accelerade. (Orange)

I don't usually have a "recovery" drink because I usually come home and eat right away - but sometimes I'll have chocolate milk or Accelerade on the rocks.

Edited by Silver_wlf 2009-08-27 10:24 AM
2009-08-27 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2373652

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
I find GU gels bother me, same with my wife.  Hammer gels, Cranksport e-gels and Power bar gels are fine with both of us.  e-gels are also larger at 150 cal's.

Don't really use a sports drink anymore, all water. 

2009-08-27 10:30 AM

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
I actually prefer Gu, but use Hammer Gel more often.  I keep getting the big jug of gel as doorprizes.  A gel flask holds about 5 shots and fits neatly in the bento box.  In our house, the Apple Cinnamon is the prefered flavor. 
2009-08-27 10:44 AM

Expert
North Cackalacky
So far, I have used Infinit Clydesdale on the bike, and Infinit Run! on the run.  Both taste good (I use orange flavor), and neither has caused me any kind of GI distress.  The Run! formula is protein free, so it doesn't foam up at all when I run (I use a Nathan Mutation belt, with a 22 oz bottle that rides on my lower back).  The Clydesdale formula foams up pretty well when I mix it, so I generally make it the night before and keep it in the fridge so it can settle.

So far, I've only mixed it as prescribed on the back (2 scoops per 20 oz of water, for about 300 calories per serving).  I haven't tried concentrating it yet to get 2x or 3x the calories with the same amount of water, so I can't speak to how that tastes/feels when drinking it.  I imagine it could get a bit sludgy.

For recovery, I like Hammer Recoverite, but I don't mind pi$$ing my money away (pun intended).  It's quite tasty.

Haven't found a gel that I really like, but then with the Infinit I haven't ever felt like I really needed gels as well.  I carry a packet of Clif Shot Blocks with me on the bike, just in case I feel the need for solid food.

All of that said, I've only been training for an Oly distance race, so my longest workout to date has been a 2:30 bike/run brick (2:00 bike, :30 run).
2009-08-27 10:55 AM

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
gettingthere - 2009-08-27 5:45 AM I have read a few posts where people refer to recovery drinks and gels that they use during training and races. I did a little research online for these things and there is a ton of info, but I would love to hear from you all about what your favorites are and why.

Also, as triathletes, what do you look for in these products?

Thanks!

I like Zym a lot. (And no, it's not because they sponsor me. I asked because I liked the drink when I did a product testing with them). It's basically electrolyte alka-seltzer, but it really empties from my stomach quickly and I tolerate the taste very well.

I do sprints/Oly's, so I don't use gels much (if at all), but when I do (I drink dos equis! ~ ) I like some of the GU versions the best.

On long rides (3-4 hours) I usually have a mix of zym and powerade zero at various points, and a couple of crusteez (frozen PBJ sammiches) in my bike pockets.

John
2009-08-27 4:58 PM

Veteran

I am a Cytomax evangelist.

I love the stuff.  The advertising claims that it reduces lactic acid by 40% for less "burn" during exercise, and less soreness afterwards, and it really seems to work.

The orange flavor is best 1/2 scoop per bottle.
2009-08-27 6:17 PM

I really like all of the Gu products.  Gu brew is very light and works well with gels.  I race with Roctance and use regular Gu's on longer rides.  Before my swim workouts I have a chocolate Gu and to me it's like frosting.  I think for my next pre-race meal I'm going to put it on top of a chocolate chip muffin   For shorter stuff, I've switched to Camelbak Elixir from Nuun.  I tried it just for convienence because the tabs are for 24 oz bottles and I ended up liking it better.  For recovery, always chocolate milk. 

2009-08-27 7:04 PM

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I drink a ton of G2. I like the flavors, don't need extra calories, replaces electrolytes.

For training and racing nutrition, I use apple-cinnamon Hammer gel. I buy it in bulk and mix 3 parts gel, 2 parts water in a flask.
2009-08-27 10:27 PM

Veteran
GA
I often buy the largest (6gal) Gatorade powder containers, $9.00 at the commissary. This lasts quite a while, and I usually make a bottle of double strength and also have a bottle of water on the bike. I only use it for swim (training) and bike (training), cannot run too well with gatorade in my belly.

X2 for Cytomax, used to use quite a bit (I actually like most of their products better than their muscle milk).

As for recovery, my latest beverage of choice is Fluid. I received two free bottles full at my first tri of this season, loved it, and six months later they decided to sponsor me. It was voted "Best Nutritional Product of 2008" at TriFest last year as well as Best Sports/Rocovery Drink. I haven't tried to use it DURING training/racing, but its lactose free, and contains no artificial ingredients. Check out their website at www.livefluid.com   and PM me for 50% off.

As far as what I look for, most people will tell you if it doesn't sit well in their stomach, they're not going to use it. Taste is a hurdle most competitors are willing to accept (i.e. baking your own all-natural protien bars for $0.23 each although your co-workers nickname them the "$HIT bar") and overcome. Also, it must work. While many sports supplements can make ridiculous claims (and a large percentage of consumers will believe them), the benefits of carbs/calories/sodium during training/racing are undisputable and therefore most sincere companies (many of those listed in previous posts) really just try to put out a product that does what it is intended to do, i.e fuel you for X miles or X hours.

I believe the key is to try as many products you can for as little money possible to see what works for you. Ask a friend for a free serving of _____. In fact, many of these companies will even send you samples.

Just my 0.07.
2009-08-28 12:19 AM

Pro
, New Hampshire
For longer training rides (75+ miles), I bring one GU gel and two bottles of water (unless it's REALLY hot, then I might add half the recommended amount of powdered sports drink to one of the bottles).

Anything less than that distance, I bring water only. With a good diet, I get all I need to stay energized.

In long duathlon races, I bring two GU gels (one for the bike and one for the last run), plus a bottle of sports drink (full strength) on the bike.
2009-08-28 1:22 AM

Champion
Northridge, California
G2 when I'm just grabbing something at the store for training, but Gatorade Tiger for racing (same cal's as G2, but highest electrolyte content of any of the off the shelf "G" products).

Gels, I've settled on GU and tend to alternate between the chocolate and the espresso flavors.  Tend not to like fruit flavored gels much (just too sticky sweet for my taste), but every once in awhile I'll have a Hammer apple cinnamon gel on hand for variety.  And the GU berry flavor is okay.

Also use Clif Shot Bloks or Honey Stinger chews as a break from gels, esp. on long bike rides...I like fruit flavored chews even though I don't like sweet fruity gels...go figure...
2009-08-28 6:43 AM
in reply to: #2375624

Master

I'm a GU Ambassador, so I am a little biased.  However, regardless of ambassadorship, I have always like the taste of GU gels the best.  My favorite flavors are Chocolate and Just Plain.  Watch for a new holiday flavor coming out this year - vanilla-gingerbread! 

The GU Roctane gels are also very good and contain electrolytes and caffeine - blueberry-pomegranate flavor is awesome.  GU is bringing a new caffeine-free flavor (Pineapple) out this winter also, for those that don't want caffeinated gels.  I like the electrolytes in the Roctane because then I don't have to worry about carrying any electrolytes or Nuun.  Nuun is a good way to get your electrolytes in on the run if you are getting your calories elsewhere.

I have used Accelerade and Powerbar Electrolyte drink with good success but I really like GU2O the best because it's not as sweet.  I did not care for Heed at all.  I've not tried the new GU Electrolyte Brew yet, but I'm sure it will be fine also.  My tummy seems to tolerate must non-sticky-sweet drinks just fine.  This is TMI, but Accelerade makes me a little gassy so if I use Accelerade, I alternate with GU2O.

I've found that on long and/or hot bike rides, I really like the GU Chomps (or Honey Stingers) because they put a little something in my tummy and I can eat them a little at the time when my mouth/tummy doesn't want other stuff.  Plus, the Chomps have electrolytes in them, which always helps.

The other posters are correct, though, that you just want to try things until you find something that works well for you.  Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about the GU products.

Steph

2009-08-28 7:07 AM

Master
Hammer gels and HEED. I've been using Recoverite recently as well, although good ole chocolate milk is always nice, too.
2009-08-28 7:39 AM

I never even heard of some of the products mentioned here, so now I am armed with tons of great info.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and input. Man, this website is such a fun and useful resource!
2009-08-28 7:59 AM

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Just regular Gatorade most of the time. 

Some Fig Newtons or a Power Bar if I'm going to run or ride for more than an hour. 

Low-fat chocolate milk after longer workouts.

Mark

2009-08-28 9:55 PM

Expert
Northern CA
I've tried all sorts of stuff and, for a while, was mixing up my own drink from a combination of choices. Now I use Infinit and have them do the mixing to my specifications. It's easier and I love their fruit punch flavor.

For gels, I find that what I like changes over time. I was really into the Accel Gel for a while and also would mix in some Roctane. I still like Roctane, but have recently come back to Hammer Gels. I buy a bottle of unflavored and mix it with Torani SF syrups and/or pureed fruit to get the flavors I like and use a gel flask to dispense it.

For recovery, I go for cheese sticks. Or a hard-boiled egg and some fruit. Or a PB & J sandwich. I'd do the chocolate milk thing, but pure milk gives me indigestion.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drinks and gels - what do you use? Rss Feed  

of 2