General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Syracuse : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2010-09-18 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3104823

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse : Official Thread
Good luck to everyone tomorrow!!  It's going to be a great race for everyone..

Also - Josh - Thanks for setting up dinner and nice to meet everyone.  I'm #1607 and go out at 8:08.  I'll cheer for all of you guys getting out of the water before I go in..

2010-09-18 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3106156

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
I'm #1628 also going off at 8:08.  I'll be wearing my FBI tri-jersey... gun optional. Cool
2010-09-18 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2383022

User image

Master
Dunedin
Awesome meeting so many BTers at the SW tonight! Brian-sorry we didn't find you at the swim!!

I'll be in a BT trisuit tomorrow!!! 
2010-09-18 9:56 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!! HAVE A GREAT RACE!!
2010-09-19 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3106313

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Finished in 5:34.

36:56 swim
2:44 bike
2:01 run

The weather was terrible.  50's, light rain and fog for the entire bike ride.  The water temp was 62, so that was no picnic either.  I was so cold coming out of the water that my T1 was 7 minutes (including a potty break).  I had to completely towel off and put on arm warmers and socks to keep a bit warmer.  I literally never had to pee during a tri before (except in the water waiting to start the swim) and I had to go three times because of the cold.  T1, last aid station on the bike (mile 46 or so - I just couldn't make it until the end), and again at T2.

The bike course was definitely a challenge.  Very hilly.  I think I was going 5 mph up the biggest hill. Several hills in which max speed never hit double digits.  Saw several people walking up some hills.

Overall, a nice race.  They have no control over the weather and that was the biggest issue.

Things I would change:
- Move the race to August
- Make the run more scenic.  Syracuse is an ugly city (and I grew up here) and we got to see all the ugly.  Not sure how they can do that.  I would like to see them ditch the point to point run but I'm not sure running around the hills of Jamesville is a good idea as it would be a harsh, harsh run.
- Why no hats?

Best port-a-pottys I have ever used.  They smelled great (not a typo) and had pictures, flowers and Purrell.  I will definitely do it again.  Well run and organized.
2010-09-19 4:33 PM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
6:14:11

Considering my realistic goal was sub 7 hours I had a great day.

43:52 Swim
3:07:50 Bike
2:12:59 Run

Was on track to break 6 hours until I got off the bike. Within the first four miles of the run my stomach cramped, both calves cramped(first one, then the other, then both at the same time) and my lower abs cramped. I'm pretty sure the cramped was related to nutrition on the bike, and the calves only cramped due to having to majorly alter my stride so I could still run. Ended up in the end having to walk the aid stations to give everything a chance to calm down.

In my opinion the weather was decently nice, at least compared to what was forcasted. It was low 60s at 5am, not the high 40s I expected. The water was really cold but nothing you couldn't get used to after a couple hundred yards. The bike was... foggy, really really foggy, I couldn't see more than a few feet in front of me going up the first 10miles of hills, then I'm pretty sure I took the descent after way faster than was safe. I ended up just riding in my Tri top and was fine. I did take the time to change socks after the bike due to them being a bit more water logged than I enjoy.

My biggest complaint is that they said there would be food and coke at some of the run aid stations yet I was unable to ever find it. Granted with how my stomach felt not sure if I would have tried to eat it but its the thought that counts.

2010-09-19 4:37 PM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
I also think the photographers were in horrible locations on the bike. I think every photo of me is going to be horrible. I know for a fact one caught me launching a snot rocket, one fumbling with a water bottle, and pretty sure I just have some horrible expressions on my face for the others.
2010-09-19 7:15 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Congrats everyone.  It great meeting a bunch of you on Sat.  I hope everyone had a great race.  I woke up in the middle of the night with a migraine.  I never get these things.  I couldn't get out of bed at 5am.  I had to bag the race.  I am so disappointed.  It sounds like it was a great race.  I will be back next year.  

2010-09-19 9:49 PM
in reply to: #3106939

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
drdking - 2010-09-19 4:33 PM 6:14:11

In my opinion the weather was decently nice, at least compared to what was forcasted. It was low 60s at 5am, not the high 40s I expected. The water was really cold but nothing you couldn't get used to after a couple hundred yards. The bike was... foggy, really really foggy, I couldn't see more than a few feet in front of me going up the first 10miles of hills, then I'm pretty sure I took the descent after way faster than was safe. I ended up just riding in my Tri top and was fine. I did take the time to change socks after the bike due to them being a bit more water logged than I enjoy.

The temps were not bad at 5am but they dropped considerably when the drizzle came.  Bike time temps were in the low to mid 50's.  Add wind on the bike and the rain and it made for a very cold guy accustomed to training in 100 degree temperatures.

I agree that the lack of vision on the bike from a) fog, b) rain, and c) my sunglasses steaming up made for some slightly dangerous riding.  I hit 46 mph coming down one hill.  Not sure that's real smart in those conditions. 
2010-09-20 7:13 AM

User image

So I officially finished my first triathlon and first HIM yesterday! Time was 7:35. Not the greatest but I just wanted to finish in under 8 hours... so I met my goal. I followed the BT training guide and it worked out great. I really surprised myself in the swim, I thought it would take me at least an hour to do the swim, but I ended up doing it in 43min. The bike course kicked my thought 4+ hours. Yup and I was one of the people walking the 2 big hills. Lesson learned though, I have a standard road bike, so I was maxed out on even the lowest gear... I think a new tri bike would be in order before the next HIM I do. The run was pretty straightforward, 2:05, so pretty much a constant 10min/mile. I was happy about that though, the first race I ever did was the Nasvhille 1/2 marathon, and my time was 2:30. So I PRed my half marathon time.... after doing the swim and bike.  Thanks for all the help and positive motivation guys, I'm sure if you guys passed me you had said some encouragement. There were tons of people doing that, and the crowd support was really nice too. I hope to do this race again sometime, but gotta train for those hills next time.
2010-09-20 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3107440

User image

Regular
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
PinoTriGuy - 2010-09-20 8:13 AM So I officially finished my first triathlon and first HIM yesterday! Time was 7:35. Not the greatest but I just wanted to finish in under 8 hours... so I met my goal. I followed the BT training guide and it worked out great. I really surprised myself in the swim, I thought it would take me at least an hour to do the swim, but I ended up doing it in 43min. The bike course kicked my thought 4+ hours. Yup and I was one of the people walking the 2 big hills. Lesson learned though, I have a standard road bike, so I was maxed out on even the lowest gear... I think a new tri bike would be in order before the next HIM I do. The run was pretty straightforward, 2:05, so pretty much a constant 10min/mile. I was happy about that though, the first race I ever did was the Nasvhille 1/2 marathon, and my time was 2:30. So I PRed my half marathon time.... after doing the swim and bike.  Thanks for all the help and positive motivation guys, I'm sure if you guys passed me you had said some encouragement. There were tons of people doing that, and the crowd support was really nice too. I hope to do this race again sometime, but gotta train for those hills next time.

Excellent work on the 1/2 marathon PR...at the end of the day!

Don't think that a tri bike would (or wouldn't) have helped you, especially on those hills.  That's more a function of gearing than anything.  If your road bike has a triple crank, odds are you had lower gears than if you were on a newer tri bike (or double crank road bike) with standard cranks.  If your road bike is a double, it's the same as most tri bikes.  Personally, I switched to a compact crank a few weeks ago and am very happy I did.

First 70.3 for me as well.  Ended up with 5:47:26. 
35:59 swim - slow for me (I should be at ~30 mins for this distance) but didn't want to push it to hard for my first HIM
3:01:43 bike - felt good, compact crank was worth it as I was able to spin up the hills at almost my target cadence (was below it on a few of the nasty climbs).  Nutrition was on-target, felt good overall, too bad I couldn't crack 3 hours
2:02:30 run - off target by a fair amount.  Was aiming for a 1:50 (8:30 splits) and was holding fine for the first 3-4 miles, then just started to tail off.  My knee was hurting (and was absolutely killing me by the end of the run) and that was a big factor.  I had the energy to run faster, just couldn't bear the extra movement/impact on my knee.

In any case, I'd call the race a success.  Excellent first HIM for me, and definitely a learning experience.  Finishing off this season with a sprint in a few weeks then it's off-season base building time for next year (Ironman Canada!)

2010-09-20 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Just uploaded my bike data to Garmin Connect.  Temp when I started was about 62 and dropped 5 degrees in the first hour.  My average speed for the first 12 miles was only about 15 mph.  My max speed hit 50 mph down that hill near mile 20.  Too fast in those conditions.  Glad I stayed upright.

Average power was 200 watts.  That's 10 watts below my target HIM pace but the constant uphill and downhill made it hard to keep up a consistent pace. 
2010-09-20 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3106896

User image

Master
syracuse
GMAN 19030 - 2010-09-19 4:46 PM Finished in 5:34.

36:56 swim
2:44 bike
2:01 run

The weather was terrible.  50's, light rain and fog for the entire bike ride.  The water temp was 62, so that was no picnic either.  I was so cold coming out of the water that my T1 was 7 minutes (including a potty break).  I had to completely towel off and put on arm warmers and socks to keep a bit warmer.  I literally never had to pee during a tri before (except in the water waiting to start the swim) and I had to go three times because of the cold.  T1, last aid station on the bike (mile 46 or so - I just couldn't make it until the end), and again at T2.

The bike course was definitely a challenge.  Very hilly.  I think I was going 5 mph up the biggest hill. Several hills in which max speed never hit double digits.  Saw several people walking up some hills.

Overall, a nice race.  They have no control over the weather and that was the biggest issue.

Things I would change:
- Move the race to August
- Make the run more scenic.  Syracuse is an ugly city (and I grew up here) and we got to see all the ugly.  Not sure how they can do that.  I would like to see them ditch the point to point run but I'm not sure running around the hills of Jamesville is a good idea as it would be a harsh, harsh run.
- Why no hats?

Best port-a-pottys I have ever used.  They smelled great (not a typo) and had pictures, flowers and Purrell.  I will definitely do it again.  Well run and organized.

"the weather was terrible."

I agree with everything you said except that.

It was close to ideal for a race.

the roads were yet, but it didnt rain during the race.

I was perfect on the run.  almost cold.

then, the sun come out post race and it was hot.

Rumor is run course will be out and back or something similar next year--no point to point.

2010-09-20 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3107514

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
You live here and this weather is normal for you.  It was horrible conditions for me and what I'm acclimatized to.  Kind of like if you did a 70.3 in Houston yesterday where the temps are still well into the 90's with heat indexes over 100.  You'd probably think that was horrible but I would be fine with it.  "One person's trash is another's treasure" as the saying goes.

The weather yesterday was like a bad day in January for Houston.

cusetri - 2010-09-20 8:47 AM 

then, the sun come out post race and it was hot.

And I will 100% disagree with that.  It was still cold. Cool 

Edited by GMAN 19030 2010-09-20 9:25 AM
2010-09-20 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3107471

"Temp when I started was about 62 and dropped 5 degrees in the first hour."

That's from the elevation change. I drive through that area everyday and according to my car it is almost always 4-5 degrees cooler in Pompey compared to Jamesville. That's why in about 1-2 months it will snow in Pompey while it rains in Jamesville. I also thought the weather was perfect aside from rain pre-race and wet roads on the first half of the bike.
2010-09-20 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Congrats to everyone!  It was a little crazy for me out there... I had cramping issues the entire day, but felt huge satisfaction just getting to the finish line... 7 hours and 1 minute.  No PR's for me, but I'm walking around today like I'm 100 years old, which means I left it all out on the course.  Sorry I didn't meet any BTers out there.  I did meet a ton of great people on the course and thanked all the volunteers for their help.  The cops on Erie Blvd did a great job!

I looked on both ironmansyracuse.com and ironman.com for the results and couldn't find them.  Can someone tell me where to find them?  Never mind... I found them.  Thanks.

Edited by billsorg 2010-09-20 10:32 AM

2010-09-20 10:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I agree with cusetri, it was almost perfect weather. I had the choice of putting on something for the bike, chose not to, and that was my mistake.

I got a bit of rain on the bike, but don't feel it really slowed me down.

I will take the temperatures and a bit of drizzle over the possible winds any day of the week.

I want to thank all the people that did the scouting and reports on the course. They prepared me mentally for the initial climb and to strategize a reasoanble pacing.

Overrall I would say it's a great event, although the point to point run was weird. For example, people wanting to get a roll down spot for Clearwater had to go back to transition to get their wallets and then come back.

total 5:09  (34 swim,  2:47 bike, 1:42 run), happy camper (although sore)

Edited by marcag 2010-09-20 10:40 AM
2010-09-20 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3107448

User image

msaskin - 2010-09-20 8:00 AM
PinoTriGuy - 2010-09-20 8:13 AM So I officially finished my first triathlon and first HIM yesterday! Time was 7:35. Not the greatest but I just wanted to finish in under 8 hours... so I met my goal. I followed the BT training guide and it worked out great. I really surprised myself in the swim, I thought it would take me at least an hour to do the swim, but I ended up doing it in 43min. The bike course kicked my thought 4+ hours. Yup and I was one of the people walking the 2 big hills. Lesson learned though, I have a standard road bike, so I was maxed out on even the lowest gear... I think a new tri bike would be in order before the next HIM I do. The run was pretty straightforward, 2:05, so pretty much a constant 10min/mile. I was happy about that though, the first race I ever did was the Nasvhille 1/2 marathon, and my time was 2:30. So I PRed my half marathon time.... after doing the swim and bike.  Thanks for all the help and positive motivation guys, I'm sure if you guys passed me you had said some encouragement. There were tons of people doing that, and the crowd support was really nice too. I hope to do this race again sometime, but gotta train for those hills next time.

Excellent work on the 1/2 marathon PR...at the end of the day!

Don't think that a tri bike would (or wouldn't) have helped you, especially on those hills.  That's more a function of gearing than anything.  If your road bike has a triple crank, odds are you had lower gears than if you were on a newer tri bike (or double crank road bike) with standard cranks.  If your road bike is a double, it's the same as most tri bikes.  Personally, I switched to a compact crank a few weeks ago and am very happy I did.

First 70.3 for me as well.  Ended up with 5:47:26. 
35:59 swim - slow for me (I should be at ~30 mins for this distance) but didn't want to push it to hard for my first HIM
3:01:43 bike - felt good, compact crank was worth it as I was able to spin up the hills at almost my target cadence (was below it on a few of the nasty climbs).  Nutrition was on-target, felt good overall, too bad I couldn't crack 3 hours
2:02:30 run - off target by a fair amount.  Was aiming for a 1:50 (8:30 splits) and was holding fine for the first 3-4 miles, then just started to tail off.  My knee was hurting (and was absolutely killing me by the end of the run) and that was a big factor.  I had the energy to run faster, just couldn't bear the extra movement/impact on my knee.

In any case, I'd call the race a success.  Excellent first HIM for me, and definitely a learning experience.  Finishing off this season with a sprint in a few weeks then it's off-season base building time for next year (Ironman Canada!)

Thanks for the info on the compact cranks. I'll have to figure out exactly what I have and play around with different gearing setups and crank setups! Post race day 1 and feeling pretty good... alot better than I thought I would be feeling, so must have done something right.
2010-09-20 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Oh, and I forgot to thank whoever it was in this thread that suggested the arm warmers.  I took a pair of my 13 year old daughter's black wool stockings and cut them up and used them as arm warmers.  I think I would have been freezing without them.  Great advice!

So who's thinking of heading back to Syracuse next year and who's going to give the Pocono Mountain 70.3 a try?
2010-09-20 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3108096

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
I will probably do it again next year.  My parents still live in CNY so it's an excuse to do a race and see the family.  No way I'm doing the Poconos.  I was cold enough yesterday.  I don't need another two weeks of it getting colder.

I feel pretty good today.  A little sore in the glutes and hammys.  I did not leave it all out there yesterday as I'm still training for IMFL and don't want a long recovery from this 70.3.  I did most of it at a training pace yesterday.  Will hop back on the bike tomorrow. 
2010-09-20 2:15 PM

User image

Just out of curiousity, do you know if we get a finsiher's certificate? I noticed that via Ironman webiste you can go via older races and it appears you can print up one for previous races, not sure if they would do that for this one or send you one (at least for many of the running ones, they send you one later).

2010-09-20 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3108359

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Finished in 5:34, pretty happy with that time especially since the bike was far from an easy course. 

Personally I did the entire race with my sleeveless tri suit, besides the part up in the mountain where it was cooler I was really happy with my choice of clothing. Weather was, for me, almost perfect. A dry road would have been paradise since some of the downhill where smoking fast. 

I loved the race. But I honestly hated the run part where we had to run through probably the ugliest part of the city. My wife was scared to park the car in some street close to the finish line, I can't believe she was the only one. Also, for my family it was a pain in the to run around in the car from the transition zone to downtown. Then to get back in the car and ride back to transition zone to get the bike. I really hope that they will changed that for a out and back run which would be way more fun for the spectators in my opinion. 

Overall I really enjoyed the race though, spectators were great and the volunteer were just awesome. Probably the best volunteer I have ever seen in a race. If you know any volunteer who was there please tell them how much I enjoyed my day because of them  
2010-09-20 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3108462

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Oh I forgot. When I finished my race, in 5:34 so far from being the last one they were already out of lunar blanket. I can't believe they didn't have enough for everyone. Also, I was disappointed to see that we didn't get any finisher item. A hat or something would have been cool. 
2010-09-20 3:08 PM

User image

Cicero, NY
I just wanted to stop by and say that all of you looked amazing out there!! I was volunteering at the aid station just outside of transition for the start of the run. I was so inspired by how strong everyone looked after that difficult bike course! Great job everyone!

I'm pretty sure I freaked quite a few people out though. I tried to call out everyones name that I could catch on their bib as they zoomed by and I got a good bit of funny looks....lol. I guess most people forgot their names were on their bib. One of the other girls volunteering thought I knew everyone and was pretty amazed until I told her about the bibs. A few of the athletes even grabbed my shoulder and said, "OH, HEY!!", like they must know me, but couldn't figure out how. Fun stuff!!

It was so much fun out there and congrats to all of you!!
2010-09-20 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3108501

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
The volunteers were great!  Kudos to all of you.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Syracuse : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 17