World Triathlon Corporation
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 28m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30AM. Since I am usually asleep around 9 or 9:30PM and up at 4:00AM, getting up at 3:30 is almost normal. I wanted to have plenty of time. Ate half a bagel with BP & honey and some OJ. Packed the other half, a bananna, and water to eat in the swim start line. Andy (hubby) and I met AbbieR (Abbie) and Jon (jonmetz) in the Galt hotel lobby at 4:45AM. We walked to transition, pumped up our tires, and checked out our bikes. Andy then took the pump back while the 3 of us walked to the swim start. Body marked at the swim start and then had to find the end of the line. WOW!!! We were on the sidewalk on River Rd. and people just kept showing up.
Event warmup:

About a 30 minute walk from transition to the end of the swim start line. It was nice waiting with Jon and Abbie in the start line. Abbie helped keep my nerves in check again this year. Plus she helped keep me warm under Jon's jacket. ;-)
Swim
  • 1h 07m 7s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

I entered the water at 7:20AM (about 10 minutes later than last year due to position in line). Wore a speedo swim suit with a sport bra under it. This was a very rough swim. The water was dark and it was not possible to see your hand or body parts of other swimmers in the water. I remember last year I could see my hand in front of me. The dark water made for a rough swim. I would find myself swimming in open water and then all of a sudden running into a mass of people swimming back stroke and breast stroke. WTF!? I would swim over top of that group and have some water again. Then, I would catch up with another group of weak swimmers. Due to the start arrangements, it seems that all the weaker swimmers started in front to allow for a longer swim before the cut off time. From talking with other BTers I know I was not the only one that was grabbed, kicked, and pulled. I had my boob grapped once. Some one tried holding onto my arm three times. The guy wouldn't let go. Finally I gave him a big butterfly kick in the chest and he dropped me. I took a kick or hit to my left eye socket that knocked my goggles out of place. I wear them under my swim cap and they didn't come off, but I did have to slow up to adjust them. I had such a headache from being kicked. Overall, this was a rough swim.
What would you do differently?:

I did well despite the war zone like feeling in the water. Maybe buy a speed suit.
Transition 1
  • 07m 27s
Comments:

I saw Tammy (tnickerson) at the swim finish and gave her a hug. She was a volunteer at the special needs table. My head was throbbing and I didn't even look at my watch for a swim time. I ran to the bag area and called my number. No one handed me my bag. I started to find it when a volunteer reached it for me. I turned to run down to the changing area and saw another volunteer running backwards right toward me. I started to yell, "watch out" or "turn around" or something so she didn't run into me, but it happend too fast. She was still running backwards and ran right into me. I couldn't move out the the way in time. I was kind of upset because she gave me a dirty look!! Hello!!! I'm runnning and looking in the direction I am moving and the direction of traffic - to the changing tent.

By this point my head is throbbing!!! Of course the tent is croweded and no free volunteers. Oh well. I dumped my bag and got busy. I was a little dazed and was moving slow. A volunteer did free up and she helped me put on the compression calf sleeves. I did take a minute to put on deodorant - I didn't want to smell too bad all day. :-) Abbie, Jon and I were discussing what we were going to do in T1. I said that for an ironman I put on deodorant. They were both joking saying how they wanted to grab my T1 bag and smell good too. :-) I used the port-a-potty on my way out. I was actually in T1 way too long.

No headache. Think I was seeing stars after the kicks in the swim and then the collision with the volunteer entering the tent. I needed to move faster. Wanted my transition times to be 5:00 or less.
Bike
  • 5h 45m 46s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.44 mile/hr
Comments:

I was so happy to start the bike. I kept the pace easy until hitting the first hill (Wolf Pen), then I started to pick up the pace. I did well going down the hill on 1694. I am nervous with this section of the course since there are so many bikes going down and up the hill. This may be one of the more dangerous sections of the course. Made it to the turn around and started the climb back up. The hills I ride in Cincy and plus practicing on this course several times before the race really helped. I made the climb without any problems. After I made it back on 42, I could feel my energy. I start to feel good on a ride at around mile 30. I was feeling good. I was in a good zone hitting all the rollers just right. There was some wind on the course. I could feel myself riding into it and then taking it on the side. Going into LaGrange is amazing! Rock star time!!! I saw Andy (hubby) and Polly (SweetP) cheering. This area is flat, fast, and loud!!! The next section to Ballard School Rd is quiet, but the energy from the crowd stays with you for a while. Ballard School Rd has another section of hills. I ran into some crowds of bikes here. Most people were good about passing. I felt good going through the pretty section of the couse with all the farms and horses. My goal time for the bike was 6 hrs. I started the 2nd loop of the course and thought I could make it. I was still feeling good, so I picked up my pace a bit. I did see lots of people with flat tires in certain areas. There were a few places were "no ironman" and negative signs written on the ground and tacks were thrown down. Horrible! Although I understand how it may be annoying having racers riding your roads, the race brings in millions of dollars to the local enonomy. On the second loop, I just wanted to make it home without a bike issue. I started talking to myself at mile 80 - "Just make it home". I was still feeling strong. My nutrition was going well. Gatoraid, water, power gels, cliff shot bloks, and power bar. At mile 95 I thought I saw Mark (BamaDC) in front of me. I couldn't tell for sure, so I passed him. Yep, it was him!! This was perfect. I then saw Paul. I made it up the last hill to Wolf Pen road and felt amazing. It was downhill from there. From 95 to 112 mile, Mark, Paul and I played leap frog with each other. It really kept me motivated knowing I had two other BTers close to me. I didn't stop any on the bike course. Stayed clipped in the entire time. I could feel the need to pee around mile 85, but decided to wait until T2. I was ready to be off the bike!

nothing. goal was 6 hrs. the hill training pays off. my race helmet and rented race wheels (zipp 606 combo) were worth it.
Transition 2
  • 04m 58s
Comments:

Volunteer was ready to take my bike. Another volunteer handed me my gear bag. I kept my shoes on and was slow jogging in my bike shoes to the changing tent. I need to learn to slide out of them on the bike.

No crowds in the tent this time. Had a volunteer help me. Didn't need much. Kept on the same tri top and shorts. Used the port-a-potty on the way out and had more sunscreen applied.

nothing
Run
  • 4h 22m 39s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Saw Andy & Polly yelling as I started the run. Matt (AbbieR hubby) was volunteering in transitioan. I saw him yelling for me to as I started the run. I think I also saw Tammy. The start of the run was kind of a blur. I started the garmin to keep my run pace and took off. Went off feeling good. Mark (BamaDC) and I ended up together on the way back across the bridge. He was doing great! We started running together and talking. We were holding a fairly decent pace and were both feeling good. The fans in the downtown are are wild!!! It is so fun! Mark and I headed out for the first loop chatting. It was so wonderful to have someone to talk with and keep your mind off running. We would run and then walk the aid stations. It was perfect. I was using the sponges, drinking water and gatoraid. I also started eating grapes at almost every station. At mile 9 or so I told Mark I had to be cut off on the grapes becuase I didn't want to take a potty stop! :-) I then had some cookies for the next several miles. Kept with the gatoriad and water the entire run. Mark and I both had some good stories to tell! :-) LOL!! I had the perfect runniing buddy during this marathon!!! We provided great encouragement to each other and would not let the other one stop. At one point Mark said, "I'm not going to need a glow stick this year!" I thought this was so funny! I told him that we were both going sub 12!! I knew that was his secret goal and he was going to make it!! We saw David (David Tris), Paul, Jungle Jenn (Jenn), and Abbie on the course. The fun of two loops is seeing people. Starting the second loop is hard. You leave the crowds and head back out. It seemed to take forever until we reached the turn around again. We saw Abbie in front of us and would almost catch her when she would start running. Mark and I decided that I would grab her butt from behind when we got close enough. We finally caught her and I grabbed her butt! I know you liked it Abbie! :-) Mark and I walked a little with her and then decided we were ready to finish this race. I think we could have ran the marathon a bit faster. We could have pushed our pace a bit, but we both wanted a strong finish. We knew we had time to reach our sub 12 goal. Having a fellow BTer with me on the marathon made the run much so more enjoyable. Mark - thanks again for your company!! We felt stong crossing the finish line.

I am very happy with the run. Goal was 4:30.
Post race
Warm down:

I gave Mark (BamaDC) the biggest hug! Had finish pic taken. Walked with Andy to the food area and morning bag pick up area. Ate some pizza and relaxed for a bit. Saw Paul and a few other people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing. very happy with my race.

Event comments:

3rd ironman race completed! PR by almost an hour. A great day. I love the Louisville race and will return, again!

Last updated: 2008-11-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:07:07 | 4224 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: 1 loop. upstream about 1/3 of couse. towhead island is on the left. Swim a little past the end of the island and then the course turns. Swim the last 2/3 of course dowstream. Island will be on the left. Go past island and go under the bridges. Not much of a current or chop.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:27
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:45:46 | 112 miles | 19.44 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: rolling hills. 80 miles plus a second loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:22:39 | 26.2 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Course: after crossing the bridge and back it is a flat 2 loop course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-01 3:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2009-09-01 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2383424

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville

Great job! I have a blurry pic of you exiting the swim!

2009-09-01 4:11 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
AMY YOU ROCKED IT!!!!!  Loved waiting with you in the swim line, but I'm still bummed you did not spoon with me under Jon's jacket!   I soooooo needed your deordorant in major way, LOL!  Having you grab my azz pre-swim and on the run, bonus!  You and Mark looked awesome on the run.  Glad you guys walked and chatted with me, I needed it.  Pretty soon, you wont have to worry about the mass swim with us AGers, you'll go pro

GREAT Race, PR-girl!!!!!!! 
2009-09-01 4:38 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

OMG, what a wonderful report!  I am so jealous of the fun you had. :-)

Please, please, please tell me you were joking about putting on deoderant!! 

Good report.  Did you sign up for 2010 yet?!

~Mike

2009-09-01 4:47 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama
Great Race. It was definately pretty cool hearing you're name being called as you crossed the finish line.

I was tracking severa BTers and it was really cool!

Way to finish, and way to PR the race!
2009-09-01 4:51 PM
in reply to: #2383518

User image

Master

Great race and race report. I had fun (and so did my jacket) hanging out with you guys waiting for the swim start. I think the extra air in your tire made you go faster on the bike

Edited by jonmetz 2009-09-01 4:56 PM

2009-09-01 5:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI
So amazing!  I'm always in awe of how speedy you are.  Maybe going for a Kona spot next time??  If you can take an hour off from year one to year two, I'm pretty sure it's possible!
2009-09-01 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

I hope I can have half as much fun during my IM as you managed in Louisville.  Great Job!

2009-09-01 5:30 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Unbelievable race and great report. I cannot believe you actually put deodorant on DURING an Ironman race. Although I remember what the Ohio River smelled like the next day last year. Maybe it was the smell of my BO that caused my GI issues last year. Hmmmmmm, I'm putting deodorant on at IMWI!!!

Awesome bike leg and it really sounds like you had a fantastic run and a great running partner!

Congrats!!!

2009-09-01 5:52 PM
in reply to: #2383557

User image

Extreme Veteran

Rogillio - 2009-09-01 5:38 PM

~Mike

Nope!  I seriously have put it on at all 3 IM races!  LOL!  I don't want to smell too bad!  Maybe that is one reason my T1 is slow. 

2009-09-01 6:47 PM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Great report Amy... Im so proud of you!  You did amazing.

2009-09-01 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2383663

User image

Champion
Alabama

amymengel - 2009-09-01 5:52 PM

Rogillio - 2009-09-01 5:38 PM

~Mike

Nope!  I seriously have put it on at all 3 IM races!  LOL!  I don't want to smell too bad!  Maybe that is one reason my T1 is slow. 

Amy....c'mon, really?!  Do you think you only sweat under your arms?  What about the sweat coming from the other 98% of your sweat glands?  Does that sweat not stinkith too? 

And the there is the obvious, why do you care?!  It's not like the other 2,499 people out on the course don't reek! 

It's a wonder they didn't deny your finisher's medal.  They might of smelled you **sniff sniff** and concluded there is not way you did an IM becuase you don't stink everyone else that reaches the F/L.

I think on my next IM I will put on some Obsession for Men cologne.  Then when people pass me (while I'm on my first lap and they are on their second) they can say "Dang, that guys sure is slow....but he smells GOOD!"

~Mike

Edited by Rogillio 2009-09-01 6:58 PM
2009-09-01 7:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville, KY
Congratulations Amy....great race, and report! 
2009-09-01 7:31 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Great Race.  That marathon was awesome and you also rocked the bike course.

Best Wishes your next Journey.
2009-09-02 8:27 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO

solid race all around...great job!

2009-09-02 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
 Congrats on the PR!!!!  You were amazing! (and you smelled pretty!)

2009-09-02 11:27 AM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN

Wow way to go on the PR!!

2009-09-02 8:43 PM

User image

Veteran
If someone is as fast as you, nobody has time to smell them. Great job!

Jake
2009-09-02 9:36 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
Was the deodorent..."speed stick?"
OK. that was bad. But if deodrent is the key to a sub 11:30 finish then I'll try it next time.
Great job Amy. you rock.
2009-09-02 11:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
Great Race Amy!!!! I'll join you in 2010!  Mary got a flat from the tacks....unbelievable.  Yea, that was the longest swim line I've ever seen!  WOW!
2009-09-09 4:15 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great RR! It's like I was there! That's so odd about the swim being so brutal! UGH!

Wonderful race and congrats on the PR... IRONMAN!!!!

2011-09-01 6:49 PM

User image

Expert
CALEDONIA/MIDDLEVILLE, MICHIGAN
Holy shmoly! You are one fast Ironwoman! Way to go!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed