General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Politician hits cyclist Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-09-02 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
Newton, MA
Subject: Politician hits cyclist

And there's video. Don't think this has been posted here yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CDtHWk8BDc

2009-09-02 12:06 PM
in reply to: #2385101

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Politician hits cyclist
2009-09-02 12:06 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
Another reason to hate politicians.  Ihope the Guy is ok
2009-09-02 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
That's like a flashback to two week ago for me.

User image

Master
North Alabama
Where was this? It looked pretty bad!

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Details?

2009-09-02 12:19 PM

User image

Here's all they got so far:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Madison-Politician-Runs...
Politician's 4x4 Filmed Slamming Into Cyclist

11:32am UK, Wednesday September 02, 2009
The moment an American politician crashed his car into a cyclist after running a red traffic light has been captured on film.

Politician Fred Clark crashes into a cyclist in Madison, Wisconsin

Clark's 'SUV' slams into the biker

Newly-released video taken from inside a bus spotted Democrat Fred Clark, 50, smashing into the rider in Madison city, Wisconsin.

The footage shows the cyclist starting to cross a junction on August 18, seconds before the official's 4x4 slams into him.

The one-minute video ends as Clark gets out of his vehicle, with the crumpled bike behind its rear passenger-side wheel.

Watch The Car Collide With A Cyclist

A Madison police report said Clark told an officer: "I ran a red light. I was just not paying attention."

Drugs and alcohol were not a factor in the collision, the report added.

The biker, reported to be 56-year-old Richard Rideout, suffered non-life threatening back injuries.

Clark was given a ticket by police for the red light driving offence.

The video was first obtained by Madison station WKOW-TV.
2009-09-02 12:20 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
How do you know the driver of the car was a politician?? Didn't see that anywhere in the link... but man, that looked BAD! Hope the cyclist is okay!!!

ETA.... never mind! see the details posted now!!

Edited by jsnowash 2009-09-02 12:21 PM
2009-09-02 12:24 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
all he gets is a ticket for running a red light? HE HIT SOMEONE!!!!!! thankfully the cyclist is okay but isn't that also ASSAULT???????
2009-09-02 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past
Dang, that looked horrific. Glad the outcome wasn't as bad as the vid would have suggested.

Don't go posting this in the IM WI forum, there are many over there in taper meltdown mode and this will NOT help the situation...
2009-09-02 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2385199

User image

TriToy - 2009-09-02 1:24 PM

all he gets is a ticket for running a red light? HE HIT SOMEONE!!!!!! thankfully the cyclist is okay but isn't that also ASSAULT???????

I believe you're thinking about battery. It requires an intent to commit bodily harm.

2009-09-02 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
Video evidence and story proves this is driver's fault and he admits as much.  I will say that as I watched the clip I had the Dane Cook "ooh oooh oooooh" reaction as I saw what was coming.  I would be really anxious about rolling into a fresh green light from the blind side of a bus - and the cyclist was obviously not starting from a stop.  Again, sorry the guy got hit and I pray for his swift recovery.  I will just take this as a lesson learned in awareness for me.
2009-09-02 12:34 PM

User image

Champion
PA
TriToy - 2009-09-02 1:24 PM all he gets is a ticket for running a red light? HE HIT SOMEONE!!!!!! thankfully the cyclist is okay but isn't that also ASSAULT???????

There will be more to pay in the civil aspect of it.  I'm sure a personal injury attorney has been rubbing one out for days at the thought of suing and collecting his 30+%.
2009-09-02 12:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, Il (Chicagoland)
This would be assault if the cyclist had seen the car coming and it had been in a threatening manner, whether the car hit him or not. Battery is the actual act of hitting someone. So if you walk up behind someone and cold cock them in the back of the head and they never know it is coming, that is battery. If you walk in front of someone and they see you pull back your punch and then you hit them, that is assault AND battery. You can assault someone without the person being touched, and you can batter someone without ever assaulting them.For the motorist in the video, this would only be assault and/or battery if he had intent to hit the cyclist. For sure he will be found guilty of running a red light, perhaps even reckless driving. The cyclist will need to take him to civil court in order to recover damages (which looks pretty airtight form that video, yikes!).It could have been argued that the SD congressman who hit the motorcyclist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Janklow) was driving in a threatening manner because of his history of ignoring traffic control devises and speeding.
2009-09-02 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
It was an accident, doesn't matter if he was a plumber or politician.  He'll pay for it in civil court...

or we could do what we always do in politics and blame George Bush for the accident.
2009-09-02 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
So scary looking. Thank goodness the cyclist wasn't killed.

2009-09-02 1:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I would be interested to learn more about the condition of the cyclist. listed as being taken to a hospital with "non life threatening back injuries" well that could still mean a broken back which could be a serious life changing injury. (I cant watch the video so only going on what was posted here.)

Still whether a politician or not this always stinks to hear about it.

2009-09-02 1:45 PM
in reply to: #2385451

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
bel83 - 2009-09-02 11:42 AM

I would be interested to learn more about the condition of the cyclist. listed as being taken to a hospital with "non life threatening back injuries" well that could still mean a broken back which could be a serious life changing injury. (I cant watch the video so only going on what was posted here.)

BIG Time EDIT:  Wrong story.  Sorry.   But still interesting if you wanna read.

Cyclist is dead. This is sad. Road rage is worse than DUI. I said it.

http://www.tucsonbikelawyer.com/whoa-canadian-politician-charged-in-road-rage-death-of-bicycle-courier/

The arrest of Mr. Bryant stemmed from a collision between a bicycle and an automobile in Toronto’s most prestigious shopping district late Monday evening. The episode started off as minor but swiftly escalated, leading to the death of Darcy Allan Sheppard, 33, who was identified as a bicycle courier.

After the collision, Mr. Sheppard apparently grabbed the driver’s side door and held on. Within moments, the police received reports of a Saab convertible racing past the fashionable shops of Bloor Street with a man clinging to its side. Two construction workers doing repairs along the road told CTV, a Canadian television network, that the car accelerated, its tires squealing, before veering into oncoming traffic on the left side of the street.

The workers said that the motorist repeatedly mounted the sidewalk and drove near lampposts in what seemed to be an attempt to brush off the man hanging onto the side.

One of the workers said the driver was “yelling pretty loud and he sounded very, very angry.” The other worker said, “He meant to knock him off.”

Edited by Slidell4life 2009-09-02 1:47 PM
2009-09-02 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2385304

User image

Champion
New York, NY
trigertas - 2009-09-02 1:54 PM This would be assault if the cyclist had seen the car coming and it had been in a threatening manner, whether the car hit him or not. Battery is the actual act of hitting someone. So if you walk up behind someone and cold cock them in the back of the head and they never know it is coming, that is battery. If you walk in front of someone and they see you pull back your punch and then you hit them, that is assault AND battery. You can assault someone without the person being touched, and you can batter someone without ever assaulting them.For the motorist in the video, this would only be assault and/or battery if he had intent to hit the cyclist. For sure he will be found guilty of running a red light, perhaps even reckless driving. The cyclist will need to take him to civil court in order to recover damages (which looks pretty airtight form that video, yikes!).It could have been argued that the SD congressman who hit the motorcyclist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Janklow) was driving in a threatening manner because of his history of ignoring traffic control devises and speeding.

thanks - I always wondered what the difference between assault and battery were - of course I could have googled but much better to have an explanation!!!
2009-09-02 2:34 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
I love the title of the YouTube video...

CCTV shows driver and cyclist crashing into each other

Ummm, no... the driver crashed INTO the cyclist... 
2009-09-02 2:44 PM
in reply to: #2385553

User image

Master
Beijing
TriRSquared - 2009-09-01 3:34 PM I love the title of the YouTube video...

Regardless of fault, this was a dangerous (though legal) move on the part of the bike rider, IMHO.

He obviously timed the light so that he would enter the intersection soon after the light turned green.   (assuming the bus started moving shortly after the light turned green)

He's also popping out into the intersection from behind a huge obstacle (the bus) which means he can't see what's going on in the intersection.

The car driver (regardless of profession) is obviously wrong... but better choices by the cyclist might have made a BIG difference in his day.

2009-09-02 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2385462

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Slidell4life - 2009-09-02 2:45 PM

http://www.tucsonbikelawyer.com/whoa-canadian-politician-charged-in-road-rage-death-of-bicycle-courier/

The arrest of Mr. Bryant stemmed from a collision between a bicycle and an automobile in Toronto’s most prestigious shopping district late Monday evening. The episode started off as minor but swiftly escalated, leading to the death of Darcy Allan Sheppard, 33, who was identified as a bicycle courier.

After the collision, Mr. Sheppard apparently grabbed the driver’s side door and held on. Within moments, the police received reports of a Saab convertible racing past the fashionable shops of Bloor Street with a man clinging to its side. Two construction workers doing repairs along the road told CTV, a Canadian television network, that the car accelerated, its tires squealing, before veering into oncoming traffic on the left side of the street.

The workers said that the motorist repeatedly mounted the sidewalk and drove near lampposts in what seemed to be an attempt to brush off the man hanging onto the side.

One of the workers said the driver was “yelling pretty loud and he sounded very, very angry.” The other worker said, “He meant to knock him off.”

read about this last night.  apparently the biker was cussing him out at a stoplight or something, and he flipped out.  scary thing is, were it not that biker it could have been ANYONE on that road - a woman walking along with a stroller, another driver - the way he KNEW he was dragging the guy around makes me sick.
2009-09-02 2:51 PM

User image

Please ride defensively and don't assume that because you have the green, some jackhole won't run the red, especially if you can't see due to obstructions...   Doesn't excuse the driver, but might keep you out of the hospital
2009-09-02 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2385590

User image

meherczeg - 2009-09-02 12:49 PM
Slidell4life - 2009-09-02 2:45 PM

read about this last night.  apparently the biker was cussing him out at a stoplight or something, and he flipped out.  scary thing is, were it not that biker it could have been ANYONE on that road - a woman walking along with a stroller, another driver - the way he KNEW he was dragging the guy around makes me sick.

Lesson #2, don't get into verbal fights with drivers.  If they want to fight with their car, you will always lose
2009-09-02 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2385578

User image

Extreme Veteran
moondawg14 - 2009-09-02 12:44 PM
TriRSquared - 2009-09-01 3:34 PM I love the title of the YouTube video...

Regardless of fault, this was a dangerous (though legal) move on the part of the bike rider, IMHO.

He obviously timed the light so that he would enter the intersection soon after the light turned green.   (assuming the bus started moving shortly after the light turned green)

He's also popping out into the intersection from behind a huge obstacle (the bus) which means he can't see what's going on in the intersection.

The car driver (regardless of profession) is obviously wrong... but better choices by the cyclist might have made a BIG difference in his day.

Which is typically more dangerous for a cyclist, slowing down through every single intersection you have a green light and because you may not be able to see 100% and thus probably getting hit from behind or at least really of a bunch of traffic, or riding as a legal vehicle of the road and assuming that with a green light you are ok to cross. Running a red light like that is not a normal coincidence but if every cyclists starts crawling through every intersection it could be a lot worse.

What choice would you have made that could have made a difference? riding on the side walk? taking a different route? not biking?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Politician hits cyclist Rss Feed  

of 2