Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-09-02 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2385618

User image

Subject: RE: Politician hits cyclist
bel83 - 2009-09-02 12:59 PM
moondawg14 - 2009-09-02 12:44 PM
TriRSquared - 2009-09-01 3:34 PM I love the title of the YouTube video...

CCTV shows driver and cyclist crashing into each other

Ummm, no... the driver crashed INTO the cyclist... 

Regardless of fault, this was a dangerous (though legal) move on the part of the bike rider, IMHO.

He obviously timed the light so that he would enter the intersection soon after the light turned green.   (assuming the bus started moving shortly after the light turned green)

He's also popping out into the intersection from behind a huge obstacle (the bus) which means he can't see what's going on in the intersection.

The car driver (regardless of profession) is obviously wrong... but better choices by the cyclist might have made a BIG difference in his day.

Which is typically more dangerous for a cyclist, slowing down through every single intersection you have a green light and because you may not be able to see 100% and thus probably getting hit from behind or at least really of a bunch of traffic, or riding as a legal vehicle of the road and assuming that with a green light you are ok to cross. Running a red light like that is not a normal coincidence but if every cyclists starts crawling through every intersection it could be a lot worse.

What choice would you have made that could have made a difference? riding on the side walk? taking a different route? not biking?

I agree with moondawg (again, not blaming the cyclist).   I think is point is not going thru greens slowly, but timing it so you reach the intersection when it turns green.  I have seen it lots of times, a cyclist will blow through a green light RIGHT as it turns green, timing it to get there at the perfect moment.   It always makes me cringe.  The problem is there is just no room for error.  And I don't ride "in lanes" unless there is absolutely no shoulder (which is very rare for me), so I wouldn't be holding up any traffic as I waited for the light to turn green.

You can assume its OK to cross on a green at the moment it goes green..... just like this guy.  Didn't work out that well.

2009-09-02 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2385578

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
moondawg14 - 2009-09-02 2:44 PM

Regardless of fault, this was a dangerous (though legal) move on the part of the bike rider, IMHO.

He obviously timed the light so that he would enter the intersection soon after the light turned green.   (assuming the bus started moving shortly after the light turned green)

He's also popping out into the intersection from behind a huge obstacle (the bus) which means he can't see what's going on in the intersection.

The car driver (regardless of profession) is obviously wrong... but better choices by the cyclist might have made a BIG difference in his day.

Agree... I have been known to "time" my cycling speed with the lights so I don't have to unclip, but I can ALWAYS see all directions of the intersection. I don't think I'd ever just blow through blindly, even with a green light, especially the instant it turned green.

2009-09-02 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2385618

User image

Expert
Newton, MA

bel83 - 2009-09-02 3:59 PM

Which is typically more dangerous for a cyclist, slowing down through every single intersection you have a green light and because you may not be able to see 100% and thus probably getting hit from behind or at least really of a bunch of traffic, or riding as a legal vehicle of the road and assuming that with a green light you are ok to cross. Running a red light like that is not a normal coincidence but if every cyclists starts crawling through every intersection it could be a lot worse.

What choice would you have made that could have made a difference? riding on the side walk? taking a different route? not biking?

You do not have to slow down at every intersection. If you want to be smart though, you should be able to see both ways before going thru it. I do that on my bikes and on my motorcycle. Even when I cross the street with a walk light, I still look both ways.

That doesn't change the fact that this accident is 110% the drivers fault, not the cyclist. You shouldn't have to slow down and look, it's just a little more protection for situations like this.

2009-09-02 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2385647

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
lisac957 - 2009-09-02 4:12 PM
moondawg14 - 2009-09-02 2:44 PM

Agree... I have been known to "time" my cycling speed with the lights so I don't have to unclip, but I can ALWAYS see all directions of the intersection. I don't think I'd ever just blow through blindly, even with a green light, especially the instant it turned green.

I never go thru any GREEN light without looking both ways.  Jackholes down here run reds all the time.  I agree that in this case he probably should have slowed and taken a look, however he was 100% legal in what he did.
2009-09-02 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2385648

User image

Expert
chriselam - 2009-09-02 3:12 PM

bel83 - 2009-09-02 3:59 PM

You do not have to slow down at every intersection. If you want to be smart though, you should be able to see both ways before going thru it. I do that on my bikes and on my motorcycle. Even when I cross the street with a walk light, I still look both ways.

That doesn't change the fact that this accident is 110% the drivers fault, not the cyclist. You shouldn't have to slow down and look, it's just a little more protection for situations like this.

X2, as terrible as this was we can also learn from this situation.  I also ride a motorcycle and I would have been very cautious approaching an intersection where there is a bus blocking my view of the lane to my left when the light has just turned.  I took a motorcycle safety course prior to getting my license and one of the first and most important things your taught is that you always assume that you are not seen.  When I am driving down the road I am always reposistioning myself in traffic and analizing where I need to be based on traffic flow.  Sometimes this means slowing way down when approaching an intersection where I might dissappear behind a truck, van or in this case a bus. 
2009-09-02 3:39 PM
in reply to: #2385101

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Being rear-ended only accounts for 3% of car-bike accidents.  Left and right hooks are the big ones.

2009-09-02 7:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
Here is an update on the Toronto car (politician) vs. cycle accident that resulted in the cyclist death. May not be as it appears.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090902/fatal_colli...
2009-09-02 8:07 PM

User image

Master
That video is chilling.
I don't think it matters at all if the bicyclist wasn't starting from a stop. He was lucky on the timing.
That car clearly, and admittedly blew the light.
As is mentioned, the cyclist will have to sue in civil court as there isn't much criminal about it-without intent.
I think it does raise the issue of bicycle safety.
HIJACK-
In the comments on the forums I have noted many complaints and concerns about road cycling. I was surprised recently when I looked up the applicable laws in Florida about where and how cyclists can ride.  I wonder if many cyclists, much less auto drivers, know the rules.
Not that it applies in this case.
/End HIJACK
I do hope he is OK.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Politician hits cyclist Rss Feed  

of 2