Jack and Adam's Bicycles
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 31m 10s
Overall Rank = 158/1051
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/62
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early at 0310, got the dogs fed, got dressed, ate some breakfast, made coffee, and then by 0400 got headed towards Austin. I know it was getting there early, but I wanted good parking, and I always acount for something crazy happening that requires more time. So, got there a little after 5, got a good parking spot, went potty, and went to set up transition. I had to check the bike into transition the day prior, and got an end rack spot, yay me! So, I set up my gear, used the porta potty, double checked my gear, did a 12 min easy warm up run, porta potty again, back and put on sun lotion, then transition closed and went and waited for my wave.
Event warmup:

12 min warm up run on the run course. No water warm up allowed.
Swim
  • 29m 44s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

I thought I felt good in it. I think I started getting bad form about 1/2 way through and had to rework it, about halfway down the 2nd long part of the rectangular the sun was right in my eyes and I couldn't see the buoys hardly at all and ended cutting too far right and had to cut back left to go around the buoy, that probably cost me some time. Water was pretty murky today and I'd come right up on people. We were the first women's wave, and I hate passing through the slow guy waves cause their slow guys typically do things like grab ankles, and crap like that. Seriously. I drafted some, but most of them would then slow down too much and I'd have to pass. I don't know what is up with my swim...I should be faster.

Was very grateful for the volunteers at the ramp that basically pull you out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Better form, I should be doing at least 1:50/100m, and truly faster than this....this is not improving like I want at all. I am very comfortable at the 2:00min/100m pace. Maybe that's part of the problem. I did notice that when I wasn't kicking as well or doing a good hip rotation that I was slowing. I don't know, this is frustrating.
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

The races at Lady Bird Lake/Auditorium Shores (CapTex/Austin Tri) have horribly long transitions. The Transition area is huge, and the run from the water to the transition area is long. I did pretty decent here. In fact, I immediately passed some of the folks from my wave as I do a decent run out of the water. I got to the bike, wiped feet off a little--there was dusty dirt EVERYWHERE due to the drought we've had here--but the mud wasn't coming off, so on go the shoes, then it was a good 400m run to the mount line, pushing your bike through dusty fine dirt the whole time. Yuck. Thankfully, no quad cramp up like at CapTex. Overall, this was pretty good. 3rd fastest in AG.

Go go gadget copter to the mount line.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 42s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.70 mile/hr
Comments:

So, I started off strong and immediately overtook some gals in my AG. Then I hit South Congress. I should've known better than to not go to the little ring intially, but I forgot how steep the hill actually is, so I had to work up it a bit too hard that first time around and went to slow up it. I made up some on the downhill and after that point, my gearing was excellent. On N. Congress I could easily keep 19-20 uphill, Lake Austin is a little steep, after a turn, but short, so I could work up that decently, and I got much better at S. Congress. On the flats and downhills it was pass fest. Not one woman ever passed me on the bike, and I was passing men like a mad woman. The last lap had sprinters starting to get on the course and it was annoying as all get out to have people on mountain bikes in the left lane. I gave some on your lefts, but some wouldn't budge and they became some fairly mean on your lefts. The turns got congested as well. There were definitely some spots on the 2nd and 3rd laps where the flow of traffic slowed me down. Nothing crazy dangerous with folks, but still it irritates me when people lolly gag on the left.
There were times I was wondering if I was burning too many matches, but I just felt good. On the flats I was holding 23-24mph with pretty much ease. OH, I had one major victory, when I was on the 2nd loop, turning back down Congress after tackling the S. Congress hill, I was shifting back to big ring and it didn't do it, and then it threw the chain, HOLY CRAP, never EVER dealt with that before, but I still knew what to do, shifted back, and boom, I had it!! SWEET! I saved myself on the fly!! Awesome! Slight moment of panic, but I reacted well.
I took in two GUs, one somewhere between 8-10 miles, and the second at 21 miles, and then I had a full aerobottle of water, and 2/3rds of a 20oz bottle of GU2O.

Gear better on that first hill, I bet it cost me at least 1 minute, if not 2. Otherwise, this is definitely a bike PR for me on an Oly course, and that's even after a very flat, fast course at TriWaco in July.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Solid T2, got out of my shoes before dismount, had to push the bike through the dirt of the long transition, but got it racked fast and changed into my running shoes, grabbed the visor, race number, Garmin, and water bottle and off I went--putting it all on as I went. 2nd fastest in AG.

Learn how to dismount the bike better. Otherwise, did this really well considering the length of the transition and the big step you gotta go up just to get to the run course.
Run
  • 48m 18s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I do not run well on dirt/grass. Some folks like it, but I don't get enough push off. The first part was on dirt grass, and the middle part of the loop was as well. Initially I really thought that I had burned too much on the bike, and I might've burned some...but as I got going, I got feeling better, at about the 1.5 mile mark, after coming down from Jack and Adams, I started to get into the groove. It was about there that the gal that took 2nd in the 30-34 AG passed me, and I kept her in my sights the rest of the race. I had my own bottle of GU2O and took a GU at 2 miles and 4.5 miles...just need the sugar. I sipped some water at a couple of aid stations, and dumped it on my head. I missed all but one sponge hand up cause I didn't need it enough to slow down to get one cause everyone else was putting on the brakes. I passed one gal in my AG, and got passed by two in the 30-34AG. I kept feeling pretty good, though at about 5 miles I got a tiny (thankfully tiny) side stitch. I kept that one gal in my eyesight, she had a Jack and Adams tri top, so it was easy. I ended up passing her in the last mile, and the felt good. Once I got to the top of the overpass we ran on, I picked it up for the last .5 mile and then really kicked it the last 1/4 of a mile. I think I could've picked it up a little bit earlier and shaved a few more seconds off.

Not do an 18 mile run 3 days prior. Not train for an IM. Taper. :) I'm glad to be back in the sub-8's here. I did 7:34 pace last year at this one, and I was only training for a HIM at the time and I tapered much more for the race. I am also thrilled to have healed so well from the stress fracture. I would like to be at a better race weight. That's a post-IM goal.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed water, drank water, walked around, drank more water, walked around, stretched, got some fruit, chit chatted with Aaron and some other racers. Packed up my gear and took it to the car. Went back for the awards ceremony and ate small fajita and a wonderful ice cream cookie sandwich!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Besides that it was a C race with no taper, it was definitely my swim. If I'm going to get better and go sub-2:30 on a regular basis, I HAVE to swim better.

Event comments:

Awesome race. High Five Events (Jack and Adams) do an awesome job. Volunteers were awesome, post race was awesome, events were on time, announcers were great, schwag was good. My only complaint is that they need mats on the bike and run course, at least for the Olympic, to note the multiple loops. Some Olympic competitors have 28-30mph avgs on the bike= 2 loops. I actually received the 2nd in AG award, but looking at the results, the gal that supposedly beat me also supposedly ran a 27 min 10K at a 4:23min/mile pace. Yeah, I don't think so...that's called ONE LOOP not two of the run course. So, I'm claiming a 1st AG win. :) Granted, the girl that beat me last year was a volunteer this year, and the other fasties for my AG raced the Open Wave (thankfully!). So, that's my only suggestion for improvement I think the race needs. you can't really shorten transition, so other than that piece...make it rain so there is less dust--EVERYTHING afterwards was covered in nasty dusy. I guess it was hot out there, but it didn't really play too much on me.

Last updated: 2008-12-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:44 | 1500 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/62
Overall: 235/1051
Performance: Below average
Suit: Non-wetsuit legal
Course: Rectangular course in Lady Bird Lake--west, then north, then east, then south.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:08:42 | 24.85 miles | 21.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/62
Overall: 190/1051
Wind: Some
Course: Three loop course starting up an overpass, to the right towards Congress, down South Congress which is more like up South Congress--two steps of hills here, then downhill on Congress towards the State Capitol, up the hill to the Capitol, turn around, down Congress till right on Cesar Chavez out towards Lake Austin BLVD, up the overpass, back down Cesar Chavez and then repeat for 3 total laps.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:18 | 06.21 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/62
Overall: 236/1051
Course: 2 loop course, some paved, some on grass/dirt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-07 8:59 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: The Austin Triathlon

2009-09-07 9:07 PM
in reply to: #2393851

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Subject: RE: The Austin Triathlon
Wow you are FAST!! Awesome!!!
2009-09-08 6:21 AM

User image

Master

Great race Brittany! Congrats on getting hardware in your AG! Especially after running 18 miles a few days before. Looks like you're ready for IMFL!

2009-09-08 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2394072

User image

Master
Houston
Congrats on the hardware, smoking fast bike split!
2009-09-08 9:55 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Great race Brittany!  IMFL look out ~ one smokin' fast Army gal will be in da house! 
2009-09-08 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Great job.  Can't wait to see what you do with the IM.

You smoked the bike and ran extremely well.  Even though percentage wise your swim is slower than your bike and run, it shouldn't be as big of a factor in the IM as it is the shorter distances.

You have come a long ways in an incredably short amount of time.

2009-09-08 3:32 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Congrats girl. Super times all around, you killed that run! Well done on the AG win !

2009-09-08 7:34 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Awesome Job sooper fast girlie girl congrats

2009-09-08 7:45 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Congrats on your "1st" place AG win!  That's an awesome run to mustered up at the end. 
2009-09-08 8:46 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
*Yawn* Another race and some more hardware; getting to be pretty typical. *Yawn*

2009-09-09 7:23 AM

User image

Expert
Great job at the race, as usual! Can't wait to see you at IMFL.

2009-09-09 1:48 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Awesome Job!  Congrats!
2009-09-12 6:44 AM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
great job with theAG victory! you had a great bike/run combo that would bury a large chunk on the men!!!!
2009-09-12 6:55 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Great job...weird how folks can't get right number of laps and the folks doing the awards don't see those as obvious mistakes.

Impressive splits and race execution.
2009-09-15 10:44 AM

User image

Expert
Austin
Great race! glad I got to meet you afterwards.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Austin Triathlon Rss Feed