General Discussion Race Reports! » Gino's Race_9th Annual Duathon to Benefit ALS Association Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gino's Race_9th Annual Duathon to Benefit ALS Association - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hanover, Pennsylvania
United States
The ALS Association, Greater Philadelphia Chapter
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 21s
Overall Rank = 13/71
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

Drove the bike course the day before and good thing I did. The first few miles start out rather benign with a couple of stretches of gently up and down sections. Then the course becomes more technical with more turns, some short hills, and some rather winding downhills. There was also one fairly significant climb (well, for me) that gave me pause when I saw it. I then decided to change my back cassette to the 12/27 so the 27 would give me more to work with on this hill. It also looked like I probably wouldn't get into the 11 as most of the downhills were pretty short and I wouldn't be able to really crank on that gear. One other note during the last few miles was a sharp left then sharp right turn coming out over railroad tracks as one was coming downhill! Whew! Pretty safely back to the transition in the park after that though it is mostly uphill until you actually make the turn into the park. Race morning breakfast - whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and raspberries, protein drink, coffee. In race clothes and drive 1.5 hours to race site. Half a Clif bar about an hour prior.
Event warmup:

1 mile jogging plus jogging wherever possible. This is something I've been needing to do more of before my tris/events as I think it's actually limited me a bit. So, adequate warm up here.
Run
  • 13m 30s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

No chip time, so no overalls/AG ranking. This is a mass run out of the park and I start in the middle with Michele, a fellow member of our tri club (Frederick Triathlon Club). The starter says he'll basically say ready, set, go (or something like that) in just a few. I start my watch. "Ready....Set....GO! (like I said, or something like that)" And we're off!! The pack ahead really takes off and my adrenaline is up there too enough for me to want to go faster. So, I think I mumbled something real quick to Michele, like "Bye" and started to pass folks ahead of me so I could get a fast first run in. After just a little bit up the road, the leaders are pretty much up there but there's a chase pack that I'm also chasing and trying to maintain pace with. As we get onto the main road to start the gradual downhill portion, I can tell this is definitely a quick pace for me and I know it's going to start getting uncomfortable soon. Just maintain pace and sight of the group is all I think about. Turn around and come back. I don't remember seeing Michele on the return so she's either right behind me or else I'm just in my zone a bit too much concentrating on maintaining this pace. And the pace is taking its toll on folks ahead of me too as we're going back uphill to the park road. Though this is now a bit uncomfortable, I'm able to pick a few folks off before I round the corner and still maintain sight of the chase group ahead of me. Fortunately, the road becomes more downhill now and I use gravity to my advantage coming into the grass part of the course. This isn't too bad but it's wet here and there. Also, there was a puddle I almost didn't avoid in the grass area! That could've been nasty! Kept that in mind for the second run. Round the final corner, back onto the pavement and into transition. Interestingly enough, Michele has used me for motivation and kept me in sight after I took off in the beginning (that's the third person that's used me for motivation and pacing. I'm actually honored). Her 1st run time was 50 seconds faster than last year! And she said to me that the clock time said 13:35 or 13:39 when she comes in, which she had trouble believing.
What would you do differently?:

Not much really. A fast time for me. Perhaps I could've gone out a bit faster or started more near the front. But, I was real pleased with my performance.
Transition 1
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Transition is a small one so I don't have any problem getting to my gear. I might have been a bit faster than a few other folks because several people from the chase group are still getting their act together. And I don't have any problems here getting anything on. It went pretty smoothly and I'm right near the bike exit. No hydration belt still on me like at Richmond ;-) (see my earlier race report if you don't know the story). Leave transition with a few folks from the group I was chasing on the run.

I keep saying this - next year, get into shoes while on the bike!
Bike
  • 45m 47s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.35 mile/hr
Comments:

No chip time, so no overalls/AG ranking. Just after I started the bike, I put my helmet visor down and couldn't see. Apparently, I hadn't cleaned the visor and it was real difficult to see anything. So, though it would take a bit of streamlining away, put the visor up for this race. Something to remember to check. Now, after the fast first run, I'm actually recovering a little bit while getting going on the bike. Fortunately, there's nothing really technical or significant during the first few miles. Some decent straight stretches to get my act together. A few folks start passing me here and I do a bit of the same. As we get into an uphill stretch, a person passes me and says "Let's get a move on! (or something to that effect)" It's Michele! Dang, I was kinda hoping she wouldn't pass me until later on the bike as I (and many of you) know she's a strong cyclist and the second run's too short to make things a race with her. I tried to keep her in sight as long as I can, but I lost sight of her as we started to enter the more technical part of the course. Now during the first part, I had started to trade places with a couple of other guys. I would hammer down the hills only to be passed again up by the two guys. And we still continue to trade places for the next 6 or 7 miles I estimate. In addition, one of the leading women (maybe a relay person, maybe not) has also joined in this group jockeying for position as well. She did the same thing to me on the uphills and looked like she was maintaining with the one guy ahead. Now, when I drove the course, I was a bit unsure of handling things here but armed with that knowledge, I thought I handled this part of the course fairly well especially the turns on the downhills. I found I was able to maintain and even hammer a bit despite a few twists and turns. That seems to be the only thing keeping me with these folks, my ability to pour on the power downhill and take the lead time and time again from the other 3 after I had lost it on another short hill. Down one particular hill, I really poured it on and was again leading for quite sometime until the big hill. Two of the three folks rejoin me as we're in the middle of climbing. For some reason, we've lost the woman that was with us. Didn't see her again. I also see other folks nearing the top as we're below. Hmm, maybe a chance to catch more folks? Nah, not with this hill yet to climb. Anyway, the one guy passes me and gets over the top before I do. The other guy also passes me near the top but can't maintain and I stand to push myself over the top to enjoy the really nice downhill afterwards. I don't see this guy again on the bike. Now it's just the one guy with me chasing. And this is really how it stays for the next 3-4 miles. At times I'm catching him and then fall back a bit. Back and forth it goes like that. Then we come down this hill with the two sharp turns and railroad tracks. I take the first one okay but have a little bit too much speed for the second. I put on brakes as much as I dare so it doesn't lock up and this seems to do the trick. I do think I heard my back tire skid just slightly before the railroad tracks though. And right after that, there's a pickup and trailer in my way on the right! Yikes! Fortunately, there are volunteers there to direct traffic for us and I get by them. Reset my sights on the guy up ahead. Finally the run course cones comes up and I know we're near the park. Round the corner to get on the road into the park and it's downhill. So hammer a bit here to narrow the distance between us. It's here I get out of my shoes since I'm on the downhill and pedal into transition. That might have been a bit soon, but there was a slight uphill as we're making the turns into transition and I didn't want to make the same mistake as I did in Rumpass in Bumpass (getting out of shoes on the uphill, bleeding speed/momentum). Just before the final short turn before transition, the other guy is now getting out of shoes but I've already swung my leg over and balancing on one pedal as I make the final turn to transition. Hit the dismount area running!

It probably wouldn't have made much difference but getting into shoes while on the bike would've helped a little. I'll need to work on getting my weight down a bit more next season and also try to be a better hill climber.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

In T2 I am blazing! Seriously - bike is racked, helmet off, running shoes on, grab visor, and I'm gone out of transition and into the 2nd run! Yes, Elvis has definitely left the building!! This is so quick I estimate T2 at 30 seconds! And I have left the guy I was trailing on the bike in the process!

I can't think of anything. This had to have been my fastest T2 ever! It just went so smoothly and I was out of transition in no time.
Run
  • 14m 32s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

No chip time, so no overalls/AG ranking. Now on the 2nd two mile run and I see other folks who were ahead of me in the 1st run and on the bike. And though my legs haven't quite come back yet for running, I'm able to pass a few of them. I am moving okay though and start the slight climb up the park road. I'm pretty much alone here as I recall and see a few other runners up ahead as well as maybe the first or second place person coming back. Once out of the park, I see a fair number of folks ahead and now my legs have woken up completely. But, everyone else here is moving pretty much at the same speed or a bit faster than I am, so all I can do is maintain pace now and hold on for the next mile and a half. Coming to the turn around point, I see Michele heading back already and exchange fives as she encourages me to catch her. But, unless I'm able to really put on some speed here, I saw there just wasn't enough distance. Still, I press and try to keep pace though it's going to get uncomfortable after the turn around since it's uphill. Upon turning around, I do see I'm starting to gain on a guy a good distance ahead. So, when I finally reach the top of the hill and enter the park, I use gravity to my advantage to essentially fall down the hill a bit to get a bit more speed. At the grass area, I'm not too far behind this guy and he takes a slightly wrong turn but gets back on course. Still, this is enough for me to close the gap a bit more. However, he hears me behind him and puts on a bit of speed to stay ahead of me just before the final distance to the finish. I cross the finish line 4 sec behind him! A nice volunteer takes my number tag and I stagger a bit over to the food/drink area to get some much needed refreshments.

Need a bit more speed and brick work I believe which I'll work on for next season. Still it was a good pace after the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Chow down on the excellent food. I then congratulate the guy who finished just before me (Pat Small) and he said he heard me coming. I also congratulate a guy who I was racked beside as he was ahead of me on the 1st run and the bike, but I caught him just after leaving transition on the second run. And then of all things, we get treated to an air show of one prop plane overhill doing rolls and loops! What a pleasant surprise and good after race entertainment. I then chatted with the guy who I was tailing during the bike (Lee Wilk) for a while about the back and forth on the bike course and Lee commented on the fact that I was just gone during T2 and he couldn't catch me on the 2nd run. Lee was also in my AG and finished 5th. Turns out several of his racing team, DU2R, were in the top spots today. So I feel even a bit better about being up there with these guys. And unknowingly, a few others in my AG also competed with me at the Richmond Duathlon National Championships in April. Cool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The hills on the bike, especially the more significant one. Thank goodness I had the 12/27 cassette on in the back.

Event comments:

I rate this as a 4 as the run course with the grass is a bit odd and folks could've slipped there and in the puddle. Also, there was no chip timing. However, for the price, can't beat the post race raffle! There were some really good ones, including a new mountain bike if you paid $5 more dollars for an extra raffle. Unfortunately, just not my lucky day as I didn't win the raffle prizes either. Could've used the big tub of hard pretzels. ;-) There were plenty of volunteers for the size of the race and also the post-race food was great! I'd say if you're looking for a small event in September and a du, this is a good one to enter.

Last updated: 2009-09-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:13:30 | 02 miles | 06m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/71
Performance: Good
Course: An out and back from the park on the park road. A gradual uphill out of the park to the road, turn left onto the road and on a gradual downhill, turn around after probably a mile, come back up that, turn back into the park going downhill. Then loop around the parking lot/transition on the grass. Come back into transition.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:45:47 | 14 miles | 18.35 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: A loop around the park. First few miles have some decent stretches that allow you to get some rhythm going. There are up and downhill stretches. Then course becomes more technical with rolling hills, quick turns, turns on downhills, railroad tracks, one significant hill/climb at around mile 8, and a double set of sharp 90-degree turns coming down a hill with railroad tracks at the bottom near mile 12 or 13. Gradual uphill to the park entrance, then a gradual downhill, come around top parking lot, and finally into transition.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:14:32 | 02 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Nearly the same as the 1st run except instead of coming completely around transition on the grass, we finished just before the transition area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-16 6:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Subject: Gino's Race_9th Annual Duathon to Benefit ALS Association
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gino's Race_9th Annual Duathon to Benefit ALS Association Rss Feed