Sunny
Total Time = 6h 13m 45s
Overall Rank = 1941/2014
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 75/77
Pre-race routine:

Had some coffee, honey wheat english muffin w/peanut butter and a banana
Event warmup:

Wandered around the start line checking out the pacing groups and other runners.
Run
  • 6h 13m 45s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off with a strategy. Run 1:10/Walk 1:10 through the entire race. I made a list of all the water stops and where they were on the course. I noted the time I wanted reach each stop if I was to finish at my goal time. I knew it was a stretch to finish sub 6, but I had nothing to lose by giving it a shot. I read a gazillion times that I shouldn't have a goal time for my first race, but I'm really glad I made the list because it gave my brain something to focus on and it worked for the first 20 miles. Instead of being overwhelmed by the entirety of the marathon, I was able to break it into manageable portions and focus on one section at a time.

The goal was to start out the first 3 miles a little below goal and get warmed up, then ease into my pace and stay there. I did start the first mile slower, but something happened after that. I felt so good and didn't pay attention to slowing down. I'd look at my watch and I knew I was going too fast, but I was so relaxed and felt so good, that I didn't worry about it. The very last thing I read before I left for the marathon was about pacing and how your body is going to feel really good and want to go faster, but you have to hold it back in the beginning. Guess I had to learn that first hand. ;) I had water and gatorade at every stop. I figured how many gels I thought I'd need in addition to what was on course and carried a couple of extra. Good thing, because the first gel station was out when I got there which made me nervous. I had one from my stash and could feel its effect on my body almost immediately. Funny how good that first gel tasted and how absolutely disgusting the last one was. LOL!

Everything was pretty uneventful early on. I passed a man, who I think was running with his daughter and he was already complaining at mile 2. I imagine it was a very long day for them both! Me, I was smiling and happy and just having a great time. I had a wardrobe malfunction around mile 8. The velcro on my bra strap came undone and one of the girls tried to escape! :) I was in such a good mood, it didn't even phase me. I just kept running and fiddled with the strap trying to get it back in the hole and fastened again. Luckily it happened in an area without spectators. Shortly thereafter, we headed through downtown Fairborn and lots of spectators were lining the streets. Our bibs had our names printed on them and it was very cool to run along and have people cheer you by name. Every time I turned a corner, there were more people cheering. It was so cool and very uplifting! There were several of us that played leap frog. One girl and I passed each other countless times and we kept laughing about it. I was wearing a beeper that sounded everytime it was time for me to walk or run. We'd be talking and it would beep and she'd say, "see you later" and I'd take off. We ran on and off together until mile 21. Made a porta pottie stop just past mile 12 and I figured I wouldn't see my running buddy again. I hit the halfway point at 2:58. First time in a very long time I've had a sub 3 half marathon. I smiled and kept going. I was still feeling really great!

My favorite water stop was at mile 14. They had signs lining the road. First one said positive motivation to the right, negative motivation to the left. The signs on the right side of the road were motivational sayings, “pain is weakness leaving the body, “Whether you think you can or can’t, you’re right”, "Pain is temporary, but the achievement lasts a lifetime". My favorite on the left side was, “my mascara runs faster than you” LOL! There were dozens of signs and reading the motivational sayings got me crying. ;) The next water stop was manned by engineers and they had funny nerdy Dilbert engineering cartoons lining the road. But, this was one of the hardest points on the course. I had to run by the campground where our motorhome was parked. Several times I thought about how nice it would be to run inside and use the restroom and grab a banana. But I also knew if I went inside, I wouldn’t want to come back out, so I pressed on. I’m running on the course now where I’ve run many times before, but a nice twist. We go down a little road that takes us out on the restricted flight line by the runways. I don’t think we ran more than half a mile before we went back on the road, but it was fun to be out on the flight line. When we were back on the road, I spotted my running buddy up ahead and caught up with her. We talked until my beeper sounded and I was off running again. She’d catch me on my walk portion and I’d pass her on my run portion. We were together for several miles, then I lost her. It wasn’t until mile 18 that I started feeling tired. The run portions were getting more difficult to keep up and I started walking a little more than I was running. I was still feeling good – just tired. My MP3 player died around mile 20, and my calves started getting really unhappy shortly thereafter. I had to let several people go that I’d been using for pacing. Between mile 21 & 22, we were running on a highway overpass and I passed a man who was cramping and had stopped to stretch out his calves. Mine had been threatening to cramp up for the last mile and I guess seeing him was all it took. They started seizing up. I had to stop and stretch. It wasn’t until this point that I thought anything negative. “Oh my god, what am I going to do if I can’t make them stop and I can’t get to the finish line.” I started walking. “Okay, I can walk. This is good.” I started a slow jog and they’d start again. Not only my calves, but down the outside of my lower legs to my ankles and my feet as well. I wasn’t thrilled with the situation, but I could keep making forward progress as long as I’m walking, so that’s what I did. My leap frog buddy caught me again between mile 22 & 23 and I tried to run with her a little, but my legs said nothing doing. We ain’t running no more. So I had to let her go. I caught up with an older man walking and we walked together for a couple of miles talking. I was feeling better, so I picked up my walking pace a little more and caught a couple of girls ahead of me. They started running again, so I found someone else to catch up to and talk to a bit. When I rounded the final turn, a man just in front of me was joined by his children. They came up and told him he had to start running for the finish. I wanted to pass them and finish before them, but the legs just did not want to cooperate. I kept looking for Fred, I knew he had to be somewhere close by and just before I entered the plane lined finish line stretch, there he was! I tried to run again since he had the video camera going. That lasted about 5 seconds and I had to walk again. We had a prearranged place to meet in case he couldn’t find me at the finish and I told him to meet me at medical instead. I told him I was okay, not to worry, but I wanted to meet there. I decided on medical because I wanted to get a massage, but I needed money and I didn’t want to walk to our meeting area, then back to the massage area. J So finally I crossed the finish line. Mentally, I felt good. But man, my feet and lower legs are hurting like crazy. I had muscles and tendons that hurt that I didn’t even know I had. If it were easy, I guess anyone could do it, huh? I am a marathoner. I’ve waited a very long time to call myself that. It’s a very cool feeling!

What would you do differently?:

Pace better - go out slower
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around the finish line area for a bit. Got pictures taken by the same lady who was shooting IMKY. Talked to her for awhile, got a massage and a slice of pizza and talked to Fred and Henry a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't know. I did the best I could with what I had to work with. No regrets.

Event comments:

Amazing marathon with great support!

Last updated: 2009-06-15 12:00 AM
Running
06:13:45 | 26.2 miles | 14m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 75/77
Overall: 1941/2014
Performance: Good
M1 14:40 M2 13:37 M3 12:10 M4 12:59 M5 13:16 M6 13:39 M7 13:24 M8 13:01 M9 12:52 M10 13:11 M11 13:16 M12 13:26 M13 15:59 (PP STOP) M14 13:38 M15 13:53 M16 13:45 M17 13:45 M18 13:57 M19 14:03 M20 14:04 M21 14:25 M22 16:48 M23 15:46 M24 16:07 M25 16:28 M26 15:53
Course: Very cool course. Starts and ends at the Air Force Museum and goes past the Wright Brothers monument, onto Wright State University, through downtown Fairborn, through Wright Patterson air force base and onto the flight line, through some nice shaded woody spots, through the middle of the Huffman Prairie Flying Field then back to the museum. The final stretch to the finish line is down a path lined with retired Air Force planes. Very cool!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-21 4:54 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: USAF Marathon

2009-09-22 7:21 AM
in reply to: #2418567

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Subject: RE: USAF Marathon
Terrific job Tammy.......you were wonderful and Im so proud of you!
2009-09-22 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville KY
Great job marathoner!

Tim

Edited by timdude 2009-09-22 11:46 AM
2009-09-22 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Marathon Girl! WAY TO GO!
2009-09-22 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2419363

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Jungle Jenn - 2009-09-22 8:21 AM Terrific job Tammy.......you were wonderful and Im so proud of you!

Great job Tammy!! Looking at Jungle Jenn's avatar and reading your report ......... what happened after the mechanical problem at mile 8?

I'm going to have to remember this marathon in the future! Sounds like a blast!
2009-09-23 7:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Nice reace report!!  Wonderful job with the race!!!  You did it!  You are marking off goals one right after the other on your list.  :-)

2009-09-24 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Great race and great race report!!!  Way to go out there, marathoner!! 

2009-09-24 3:33 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Okay, so as Jenn pointed out, it did NOT take me 7:30 to do this race.  That was the starting time! LOL! It's fixed. duh.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USAF Marathon Rss Feed