General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Haters Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-10-06 10:14 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Haters
Hey all,

So on Saturday I ran my first ever 5k (I was kind of slow but I finished and I wasnt DFL).  I was super excited in the preceding days and I told everyone about it. When it was and everything. 

I see this as a big accomplishment for a guy that went from 290lbs out of shape to a 265lb guy that is getting there. I would definatley congratulate someone who did that.

So I get to work and no one says a word about it. No good jobs, no wows, no nothing. One person even went to say, "oh thats not hard. I do that all the time." 

So I am kind of like wtf? Do people get mad or jealous when people do things that will make there life better, or having a great accomplishment. I kind of noticed this but now it presents itself more now that I have ran a race. I wish it wasnt like that but that is the world we live in I guess. I would love to do an Ironman one day but I dont hate on people that can now.  Do you guys have any stories like that? 

2009-10-06 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2445078

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Haters
Just because co-workers don't acknowledge your accomplishments, that makes them "haters"?

I've been doing this stuff for ten years, sometimes I get positive comments, rarely negative, more often nothing. I'm sure my co-workers have outside interests and accomplishments I don't know about. Does that make me a hater?

In the scheme of things, it really is nothing but a little road race. You didn't foster world peace or eliminate suffering among humanity.

If it's any consolation, you have my congratulations, hope you have many more successful races and that Ironman dream eventually comes true.
2009-10-06 10:20 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I think you may want to not have any expectations about other people validating your accomplishment. Be healthy, train, race, have fun for you, not for the approval of anyone else. If you have no expectations of others, you will nevr be dissapointed. Great job at you race, keep at it!
2009-10-06 10:21 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

Do it for you and dont worry what others think.  Its a waste of time.  Congrats on your accoplishment!!

2009-10-06 10:25 AM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Aside from my story where a co-worker announced that she was getting the lap-band surgery... with the whole spiel about how nothing else works... she spilled a little of the creme from the Boston Creme doughnut that she was eating at the time.

Good job.

Whether it is at work, family, or fitness... haters are everywhere.
In fact, you can measure your results by the haters around you.
Take pride when you stir the Haterade, then surround yourself with better people.

That's why I changed my motto to "Working Hard Enough to be called LUCKY."
2009-10-06 10:42 AM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
X1000 for the do it for yourself.  I have made huge improvements in my lifestyles and have lost over 45 lbs and it was all for my own personal well being.  Other than my wife, no one around me really cares about my personal accomplishments.  Thats probably why I get so much of my motivation from these BT forums.  People at work ask "So what did you do last night?", if I tell them... "I did a 5k run along the lake, it was awsome, just beautiful, the sun was setting and the waves crashing near the road, it really got me pumped."  I would get the glazed over eyes by the time I got the word 'along' out of my mouth.  Since there are never any good drinking stories, they dont ask much anymore... lol
Most people are haters because they are jealous.  You know the comitment and dedication it takes to accomplish what you have done.  Most people dont posess that.  You are the one that gets to walk around with the pride in what you have done.  You dont need other people to validate that pride.

Conratulations on your run... you should be proud of your accomplishments and dont let any sort of lack of peer recognition discourage you in anyway... keep up the hard work!!!

2009-10-06 10:44 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Congratulations! 

Frankly most people don't give a rat's arse what their co-workers do on the weekends.  You are coupled with these people becuase you are there to make money.  You are not there to socialize and find encouragement for your pursuits.  You can find plenty of encouragement from BT, running clubs, triathlon clubs, other people at your gym, riding and running and swimming buddies....but not co-workers.

~Mike

2009-10-06 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
PA
Congrats on the weight loss.  Surely you do feel better. 
I know that I feel MUCH better after losing 22lbs this year.  I plan on losing more because it make me feel much better than words of encouragement. 
2009-10-06 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2445099

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

jszat - 2009-10-06 11:21 AM

Do it for you and dont worry what others think.  Its a waste of time.  Congrats on your accoplishment!!

x2

2009-10-06 10:54 AM

User image

Elite
the desert
Congrats on the finish and great job on the weight loss. As for your co-workers, they may not have remembered or cared. Running a 5K to some people is nothing, while to others is a huge deal. Again, I say congratulations to you. I think you're on the track and these people may start to recognize your accomplishments. As you continue to do more races, lose weight, and get in better shape, people will notice the physical and mental changes in you. Then they'll ask what you're doing and how you're doing it - that's when you get the congrats and the wows.
2009-10-06 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I barely tell my co-workers anything. I think if they saw me on the weekend, they wouldn't know who I was.

Truth be told... I LIKE IT THAT WAY!

Pat yourself on the back and be proud of your accomplishment.

2009-10-06 10:59 AM

User image

Pro
MA
First, congrats on getting in shape. 

I remember the first time I ran the JP Morgan Chase Corporate challenge, the 3.5 miler.  It was the longest distance I ever ran in my life.  After that I was so psyched I emailed my parents and all my cousins telling them what I had done.  No reply. 
A few years of triathlons and couple of 1/2 marathons later, I realize that 3.5 miler wasn't that big of a deal. 
You are on this board, I assume you're going to eventually do a triathlon.  After a couple of sprints, I am sure you, too, will think the 5k "is not that hard", coz you'll be doing them "all the time", after swimming and biking. 

Hope you enjoy the sports.  And welcome to BT. 
2009-10-06 11:15 AM

User image

Regular
Well done fella.

5K & 25lbs is a big achievement, most people couldn't do 1K or resist that next donut!

I had the same thing at work, most people there weren't really that impressed or bothered about what I was up to but then I don't care what they think so it didn't bother me. I measure my accomplishments by my own standards, set your own goals and then go out and smash them, you'll be amazed what you're capable of.

Keep up the good work.
Rich
2009-10-06 11:19 AM
in reply to: #2445164

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Rogillio - 2009-10-06 8:44 AM

Congratulations! 

Frankly most people don't give a rat's arse what their co-workers do on the weekends.  You are coupled with these people becuase you are there to make money.  You are not there to socialize and find encouragement for your pursuits.  You can find plenty of encouragement from BT, running clubs, triathlon clubs, other people at your gym, riding and running and swimming buddies....but not co-workers.

~Mike

This...
2009-10-06 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

You don't run for others so don't look for encouragement from others.  When I started running, I thought my wife and friends would be really supportive and congratulatory but they weren't.  It was then that I realized that I run for me and nobody else.

As far as co-workers being less than impressed, the reality is that they are jealous of you.  Most would never run 5K unless they were being chased by a pack of dogs.  I do think it's uncool for another runner to dismiss your accomplishment.  Can't say I've seen that before.

Good luck!

2009-10-06 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2445098

User image

Sensei
Sin City
bryancd - 2009-10-06 8:20 AM I think you may want to not have any expectations about other people validating your accomplishment. Be healthy, train, race, have fun for you, not for the approval of anyone else. If you have no expectations of others, you will nevr be dissapointed. Great job at you race, keep at it!

and this...

To be honest, I really don't talk about triathlon much.  I like to keep it quiet.  Then the only expectations I have to live up to are my own.

I also sort of think that I don't want to hear about someone's fishing trip or day out with their kids, so I won't bore them with my race stories.

2009-10-06 11:24 AM

User image

Master
Like others have said; you're just not going to get much acknowledgment from your coworkers. And that is fine because you're doing this for yourself, not them. 

I have only one coworker who gives two sh_ts about the 100 mile bike rides, 2 mile swims, etc. I do over the weekends and evenings. I'm convinced this is only because he started working out with me 2.5 years ago. We'd go out and ride 12 miles (he barfed twice the first time), or run 2 miles.  He was only able to hack it for 3 weeks before deciding he'd rather sit at home and watch football or go shopping with his girlfriend.  He consistently asks me what I've been up to and reminds me what it was like when we first went out together those few weeks after I tell him about the ride or run.  Nobody else really cares. And they shouldn't. It's not their "thing", and they have their own "things" they're feeling good about that I'm not acknowledging!  

A 5k is easy for a lot of people, but nobody has walked in your shoes to know what an accomplishment this was for you. Be proud of yourself because very few others will ever realize what you've done...or care.

2009-10-06 11:24 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-10-06 11:26 AM

Expert
NW NJ
Hay Man, Congrats and keep it up!  I'll never forget the first time I ran 3 miles I was so excited, but quickly realized it was no biggie for many other people.  The greatest thing about Triathalon, and road races, it that you can easily do it for yourself. Who cares about the winner, the guy ahead of you, or the people behind you or friends, family or co-workers think.  What's important is you set out to reach a goal and you killed it!  For that I say Awesome Job, feels amazing doesn't it?

Besides, once you complete your 1st 10K, Triathalon, Marathon or Ironman, whatever you set out to do, and someone tells you excitedly about their 5K conquest, I have no doubts that you will give a heartfelt congratulations.  However, in the back of your head you will be thinking, "pfft, I ran a 5K as a warmup this morning" 

Keep moving forward, and pushing the bar higher and one day you too can become a "hater!"  HA!

Remember, "You finished something that 99% of people never started"
2009-10-06 11:45 AM
in reply to: #2445316

Master
Oceanside, California
ChrisFL - 2009-10-06 9:24 AM

It also depends on the type of career you have- when I worked as a Speech therapist in a rehab center/hospital everyone was hugely involved in each others lives.  These types of jobs just breed those relationships.  Everyone I worked with expected to be invited to my wedding!  So not all careers or jobs can be compared. 
Wink   Christine

want a job in SoCal?

I had to close a high '80's-low 90s position (With 9 weeks off per year) because I could not find someone qualified to interview.

Serious shortage out here.
I also am not a fan of my local programs, would love some outsider perspective for my speech department.
2009-10-06 12:48 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
mmproch - 2009-10-06 10:14 AM

Hey all,

So on Saturday I ran my first ever 5k (I was kind of slow but I finished and I wasnt DFL).  I was super excited in the preceding days and I told everyone about it. When it was and everything. 

I see this as a big accomplishment for a guy that went from 290lbs out of shape to a 265lb guy that is getting there. I would definatley congratulate someone who did that.

So I get to work and no one says a word about it. No good jobs, no wows, no nothing. One person even went to say, "oh thats not hard. I do that all the time." 

So I am kind of like wtf? Do people get mad or jealous when people do things that will make there life better, or having a great accomplishment. I kind of noticed this but now it presents itself more now that I have ran a race. I wish it wasnt like that but that is the world we live in I guess. I would love to do an Ironman one day but I dont hate on people that can now.  Do you guys have any stories like that? 

Don't take it personally... they just don't care. It's not something they do in their lives, so they don't understand what it means to you.

My best friend of 25 years, didn't even acknowledge my Ironman. Yeah. She knew I was going... no phone call, no good luck... nothing. While 2 of our mutual friends came to Kentucky to watch me race. When I got back I let her know how much it hurt me and she tried to make amends, sort of.

While I love what I do and think it's awesome... my coworkers, good friends, etc. don't give a d@mn. Some try to say good luck and ask about it, but they honestly don't care. So whatever. That's what my BT friends are for!

See, I go on my log and blog about my races, my training, etc and awesome people here inspire me. Day after day. They care. They understand. They get it.

People in our lives can't be perfect or provide us support in all facets of our lives. So you understand that and make friends who run/bike/swim and use them as your support.

BTW- GREAT JOB ON THE 5K!!!!! Keep it up!!!!

2009-10-06 12:53 PM
in reply to: #2445370

Pro
Irvine, California
eabeam - 2009-10-06 9:45 AM
ChrisFL - 2009-10-06 9:24 AM

It also depends on the type of career you have- when I worked as a Speech therapist in a rehab center/hospital everyone was hugely involved in each others lives.  These types of jobs just breed those relationships.  Everyone I worked with expected to be invited to my wedding!  So not all careers or jobs can be compared. 
Wink   Christine

want a job in SoCal?

I had to close a high '80's-low 90s position (With 9 weeks off per year) because I could not find someone qualified to interview.

Serious shortage out here.
I also am not a fan of my local programs, would love some outsider perspective for my speech department.

Dayum, I'm in the wrong line of work!  Sure I get a reasonable salary, but 9 weeks off per year??  Drool city!

2009-10-06 1:19 PM

Regular
CT
Its been said..or similar..

In my teens, I cared terribly what people thought about me.
in my twenties, I didn't care what people thought about me.
In my thirties, I realized they weren't really thinking about me.

Just follow your passions, have a few good friends;  the rest, well..
2009-10-06 1:48 PM

Expert
Chenequa WI
I own my business so the employee (me) always asks how the race went.  Sometimes, we have long conversations over coffee.Tongue out

Kidding.  Actually, we're a small firm and we have a few partners and employees who are active in road races.  We just don't talk about it much because, as someone said, we're here to make money.  We do this by spending the day taking care of clients.  

Also, we don't talk baseball/football/basketball but that might be because I could really care less.  (by the way - I'm eating lunch as I type this).

Edited by Gritty 2009-10-06 1:59 PM
2009-10-06 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2445370

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Haters Rss Feed  

of 2