General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Indoors Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-21 11:50 PM

Subject: Training Indoors
I am currentley living in a dorm at Purdue University and there is limited space here for an indoor trainer. I am not a huge fan of going to the gym and riding the cybex upright bikes. That is really my only option at the moment since I did not bring my road bike down here. Are these bikes giving me the type of training I need?  Also here in Indiana it gets pretty cold in the winters and lots of snow. So should I just run on the treadmills, the indoor track, or continue to run outside. Which of those will benefit me the most?

2009-10-21 11:54 PM
in reply to: #2472712

Expert
Behind you
Subject: RE: Training Indoors

Think of Rocky IV

2009-10-22 12:56 AM
in reply to: #2472714

haha good movie.. so just train with what i have.. and run in the snow?
2009-10-22 1:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Sun Prairie, WI

I have a similar situation weather-wise as you here in Wisconsin.  I'm going to try to run outside as much as possible during the fall, and once there is snow on the ground I will try to do the same, but more than likely end up only doing my long run or speedwork outside and the rest on treadmills.  I do not have an indoor track at my disposal.  In my opinion I would rate outside>indoor track>treadmills. 
As far as bike, I have an indoor trainer, so I'm not too sure on that one. I would think that a bike is a bike, and as long as you use it effectively it would be a suitable winter training tool in lieu of your actual bike. I mean its better than doing nothing, right?

good luck

2009-10-22 6:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
I feel your pain on the Indiana weather.  This winter I am going to try to get out for runs and rides as much as possible. I am going to experiment with clothing to make it happen. I would definitely hit the indoor track over a dreadmill, but that is my opinion. As far as the bike, I just got a fluid trainer last week and as someone who is fairly new to biking, that is way harder than any stationary I have done at the gym. Also, I can never get comfy on a gym bike, the longest I can go is about 30 min then stuff starts to go numb. Not good.  So in my opinion, I would try to run outside as much as possible, if it's too crappy, hit the track, lastly the treadmill. For the bike, anything you can do will be better than doing nothing, but I would try to get your bike down there and possibly see if you can set up the trainer in the sports center? Talk to the director and see if there is a spot you could bring it in and set up 2 or 3 times a week.  Just a thought. 
2009-10-22 9:22 AM

I just looked into a cycling class at the gym. The next one doesn't start up untill after Christmas break, so I will be joining that class. But I will definately look into asking the director if there is a spot I could bring a indoor trainer about three times a week. As for the running I will try to continue to run outside. Thanks for all the ideas!

2009-10-22 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
I lived in Harrsion Hall at Purdue and there were rooms in the basement where I could have set up my trainer.
2009-10-22 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
I'm in Chicago, so we have similar weather.   I do something like 75% of my running on the gym treadmills this time of year.  The weather indoors is nice, I can focus on my heart rate, speed etc.  Since nearly every run I will also either do a spin class, or swim + strength training. It's difficult to replicate this outdoors with the weather etc.    I guess if you can bike and use the treadmill at your gym,  I'd say start liking the treadmill Laughing

Edited by oriolepwr 2009-10-22 9:55 AM
2009-10-22 10:01 AM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
Spin classes, treadmill, and don't forget the pool.

If you can bundle-up and run if you can.  I don't like to run in the snow but when the side walks clear  thats where I'm at.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Indoors Rss Feed