General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The newbie bumpable thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2005-05-31 8:17 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
Subject: The newbie bumpable thread
In prepping for the LSAT for law school admission, communicating via message boards such as this one is an indispensable tool in preparation. There is a wonderful thread on one message board that is simply titled, “The LSAT prep bump-able thread.” A near perfect scorer on the exam wrote both an extensive and uniquely insightful chronicle regarding her journey. Every few days, the thread is bumped for new users. It is my hope this thread can provide a benefit to newbies to the sport and this site.

My background involves the sport of swimming. As a four year old through high school, I competed in local, district, regional, and state meets. I placed well, although far from stellar. In college, the fast food bug bit me early and I resigned myself to 30 pounds, fraternity life, and cigarettes.

In August of 2003, an old neighborhood swim-team friend encouraged me to participate in a local triathlon. I was fat, out-of-shape, and perpetually bloated. I borrowed my cousin’s mountain bike weeks beforehand and began training. Elaborating in greater detail further on, my race ended far before it even took place; accustomed to the swimming adage-“leave everything in the water”, I ran myself ragged on bike rides and runs.

The morning of the race proved to be an eye-opening experience. Chiseled bodies, bikes appearing to be NASA certified, and spandex-quite a bit of it..everywhere.

As it was a sprint distance, I survived the swim solely on my background, watched grandmothers zip by me on the bike (a massive ego blow when they smile angelically and wave as they passed me) and hobbled (running would be too modest of a term) to the finish line.

I finished nearly dead last. I was depressed, down, and distraught. Although in retrospect, God gave me a new life that moment.

That afternoon, I quit smoking after being a pack-a-day abuser for two years. I changed my eating habits and embarked on a life-changing journey.

Following the race debacle, my goal was clear: to return the next year and win my age-group. As a reminder, I had not run more then ½ mile before this goal in over 10 years. In fact, my version of physical activity was actually driving my girlfriend to the trail she ran, driving myself back home and smoking cigarettes on my couch. Walking upstairs even burned my lungs. As a caveat, I concluded that completing a marathon would be fun as well.

Sometimes, you just have to dream big.

I informed my friends of my goals, the majority of them scoffed (one actually said, “I love you, but I think you’re just saying it and I’ll believe it when I see it).

I began my training runs and adjusted them with walking breaks. However, I continuously developed shin splints. I ran one block, walked one block, and continued this pattern for weeks.

As I didn’t own a bike, I used the lifecycle at my gym. The swim training consisted of mega-set sprints.

One evening, I wasn’t able to fall asleep. I noticed my pulse was racing. Not paying attention, I continued to train with no direction. I soon suffered from various colds and illnesses. I had encroached far beyond the point of over-training.

It sounds like a plug, but I found this site and began reading everything regarding triathlon. It was a very slow process, but I immersed myself within the sport. By default from training, I began losing weight; however, I ASSUMED that I knew how to train. After all, I was a swimmer and understood punishing the body (also a swim coach).

During swimming sessions, I backed off sprinting. Still, I swam too fast without any guidance or direction. During my lifecycle bike rides, I would ride HARD with no purpose. For runs, I ran too quickly and ended each run with a glorious kick (sound familiar?).

In January of 2004, I began training for the Buffalo marathon. My father is an accomplished marathoner (14 races) and recommended the Galloway program (run with walking breaks). Thankfully, this added structure to my run training.

I noticed in the late winter (February), I started feeling REALLY good. My swims were sharp, my biking and running felt wonderful (at this point, I had purchased a FUJI road bike and modified with a fast forward seat post and Profile Carbon X aerobars). I didn’t know it, but I was actually peaking! Everything quickly began feeling more sluggish and I didn’t understand why.

My first race of the season was in May. I had dropped approximately 15 pounds at this point. Again, my training had no direction to it and I felt consistently “tired” throughout the duration of the race. I surprised myself by finishing second in my age-group and backed up the race two weeks later with my first marathon finish! As I crossed the marathon finish line, I truly felt as if I had been reborn.

Immediately afterwards, I entrusted www.markallenonline.com. I cannot emphasize how wonderful their program is designed. Based on your past history (via questionnaire) and current fitness level, your program is generated with email access to Ironman legend Mark Allen (unlimited).

Mark’s training method is designed around the Maffetone heart rate system (myriad heart rate methods exist, Mark happens to prefer Maffetone). Although I owned a hrm previously, I had no idea how to –truly- use it. Mark’s schedule gave me a clear structure to adhere to. Throughout the next three months (my peak race was in August), I consistently lost more body fat and my training went great.

Throughout the months, I became more confident. In August, I won my age-group and wrote Mark immediately afterwards informing him how fast, sharp, and strong I felt.

Advice for the newbie:

1. I just started training for my first triathlon. What’s the most important equipment?

Triathlon is a sport of longevity. Don’t concern yourself with an expensive bike just yet; a mountain or any road bike will suffice. However, make sure you are comfortable (if you begin noticing knee pain, it’s most likely your bike fit or lack of running fitness). After your first race, you’ll have a clearer understanding of what you may need. My number one advice for a first triathlon is to follow a proper schedule (many are listed on this site). Also, remember that triathlon is a sport of balance. Don’t overdo any one sport in particular.

Please note that if you do not own a heart rate monitor, this should be your most important purchase. If you don’t own one or cannot afford one, use your breathing as a guide (rule of thumb: the crux of your training will/should take place at a pace in which you can carry on a conversation).

2. What should my diet be?

This is a very difficult question and is unique to each individual. There is wealth of information out there concerning this one specific question. A few sites that I use are:

www.coachgordo.com
www.cruciblefitness.com
www.d3multisport.com
www.coachkp.com
www.fitness-concepts.com
www.slowtwitch.com

Every individual is unique. Many prefer carbs derived solely from fruits and vegetables and only use starches (oatmeal, pasta, potatoes) in recovery. A great rule of thumb according to Gordo Byrn is to do the majority of your grocery shopping in the fresh produce/meats section.

3. I’ve been training for awhile and I don’t seem to be losing weight.

Don’t worry, others experience the same thing. Although it is certainly frustrating, please note that body weight is not an accurate indicator of fat loss. You’ll need to have a body fat pinch test to truly determine weight loss (don’t forget body muscle is heavier then fat also). Embrace how far you’ve come, how wonderful you feel after your workouts, the rest will fall into place.

Personally, I found great success with 6 smaller sized meals per day (3 small meals and 3 protein shakes) in combination with weightlifting. I actually did the Body for Life program and made my HUGEST gains here in weight reduction/increased muscle mass. I did this during the off-season. Please note that I leaned out immediately after the program as I was not able to lift accordingly to the program. Women also should partake in a light weight-lifting/conditioning program also.

4. Do I need all of the “aero” stuff for the sport?

No, you don’t. I’ve gotten my butt handed to me by older men riding old school 10 speeds wearing what resemble hockey helmets. Don’t forget, triathlon is a blue-collar sport; you MUST put the work in to reap the benefits. If you view old Ironman World Championship videos, notice how clunky their bikes looked. As Lance said, “It’s not about the bike.”

However, those in the sport love new gadgets. Will they make a material difference in their speed?-most likely only marginally. Again, worry about a hrm initially.

5. I get intimidated at triathlon events. Everyone looks so scary.

Before a race, I personally don’t like to talk. I like to focus on visualization. However, after the race, I love talking shop with other triathletes and checking out their bikes. I’m a firm believer in answering questions for newbies and love asking those that have more experience then I do for tips, etcs. You’ll find that if you approach people (the vast majority IMO), they will respond with a smile.

6. I don’t understand terminology in the sport.

Neither did anyone else here, initially. If you’re REALLY into the sport, I highly recommend immersing yourself in any and everything triathlon related. It’s similar to total immersion in language, you’ll subconsciously denote specific terms and correlate them in the context that they are being used.

7. I suck at swimming, can I still be involved in the sport?

Yes! As I’m sure Rich Strauss can attest to (Rich I believe is a former D3 swimmer-he also has great swimming resources on his site), swimming takes time to develop. It is the most technically attuned discipline. I suggest contacting your local Master’s swim club on private lessons for beginners. You will find that if you make the investment in time and effort into swimming, it will pay dividends. Triathlon is a sport of balance. Many triathletes fail to work on their swimming, thereby negating their fast bike and run splits by losing enormous time in the swim.

8. I would like to purchase a good bike, what should I buy?

The million dollar question. I recommend going to your local bike/triathlon shop and speaking to someone who is capable of capturing your needs in height/measurements/goals and parlaying that into a proper fit. A proper fit is ESSENTIAL! Don’t spend $2k and forgo a $50 professional fit. You’ll be surprised how a proper fit can maximize comfort and power in your pedal strokes.

9. Can I drink alcohol?

That’s an individual question. Only YOU know your body. I stay away from alcohol at least one month out from my peak race as I become bloated from it. However, you have triathletes such as professional Ironman Wisconsin Champion Nicole Deboom who have a beer or a glass of wine a day.

This is all I can think of at the moment, please take advantage of this site and ask questions. You have a wide-array of individuals ranging from working moms and dads, Ironman finishers (including exceptional athletes such as Steve who is racing to find a cure for his wife’s disease).

2005-06-01 9:19 AM
in reply to: #166295

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: RE: The newbie bumpable thread
Excellent post. Thanks, Lu!!!
2005-06-01 9:33 AM
in reply to: #166564

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
Thanks, Don. I'm actually heading up North for the race in Maniyunck (sic?) this weekend!
2005-06-01 6:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Cole Harbour, NS
2005-06-01 7:42 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Great post...thanks
2005-06-01 10:06 PM

User image

Bellevue, WA/Chicago, IL
I approve.

additionally, I come from a swimming background (running and biking?? visibly sweating?? who knew?!) and it's funny that you mentioned about the "leave it in the water" thing....I have my first tri this weekend and that's my one fear -- getting an adrenaline rush and just doing really well in the water (at least compared to the rest of the pack) and then completely dogging it on the bike and run.

Thanks for the info, it's great

2005-06-02 9:04 AM
in reply to: #167062

User image

Regular
I swam in high school. My first tri was a sprint last year. I managed to come out of the water in the front of the pack. Then slowly but surely practically everyone in the race passed me on the bike and run. It was still a blast. And rather humorous I have to admit.
2005-06-02 11:00 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: Training intensity and rest

I'll add a little on training intensity and the importance of rest...although this could easily be an entire chapter of a book if not more.  I'll just throw out some thoughts as they come to me.

As alluded to in the original post, many people, not just newbies, make the mistake of consistently pushing too hard when they train.  That "glorious kick" at the end of a run, grinding out quad burning rides with little focus, sprint workouts in the pool week after week.  There is a time and place for all of these things but that time and place should be chosen carefully and scattered purposefully among a variety of other workouts including long slow distance (LSD), recovery, and aerobic sessions. 

My buddy Coach Troy (you know...on my Spinervals DVDs) said that most people make the mistake of training too easy on their hard days and to hard on their easy days.  Many people get excited to train and want to go out and really give it all they have.  This will produce results initially, especially if you aren't in particularly good condition to begin with.  BUT, you'll fall way short of your potential if you skip the all-important base phase of training.  I suggest anyone who is even slightly serious about training for triathlons or road races should pick up a heart rate monitor (I've become a big advocate for HR training since I started doing it myself this season).  Basic models can be found relatively cheaply.  This is a great way to monitor your training intensity.  Once you establish some training zones for yourself you can use the HRM to tell you if you're pushing too hard (or too easy).  When my training first started this season I didn't feel like my workouts were doing much for my fitness because I wasn't even breathing hard...runs felt like recreational jogs...but I wanted to give HR training a fair shot so I stuck with the program and within a few months I had made dramatic improvements.   I can honestly say that I am probably faster overall now (at 30) than I was at the peak of my competitive track career back in high school (at 18)...and I haven't even begun my speed training for the season yet. 

So, back to training intensity.  While I understand that it might be difficult to hold yourself back early in the training season, I suggest training only in the aerobic zones for at least 2-3 months before you attempt any intense workouts.  You really need that strong base to build power later in the season.  Eventually you can begin to add tempo/threshold runs, which will train your body to more efficiently deal with lactic acid and allow you to ride the boundary of your LT, which is key during long races where you can't afford to get into oxygen debt until the final miles.  And last, as be approach your peak, you can incorporate interval/speed work to develop power.  Even later in the season though, it's important not to forget where you came from...LSD...and be sure to have easy recovery days.

That brings me to rest days.  If you look at my logs you'll see that I'm not the best person to speak about rest days but they are essential in a good training program...especially as you start to push harder.  Your body doesn't get stronger WHILE you train...it gets stronger while you REST. Intense exercise actually damages muscles and it's that time when you are resting (especially sleeping) that your body works to repair those muscles...making them stronger and better prepared for the next time you subject yourself to similar abuse.  Lack of rest can result in overtraining and potentially injury.  You need to listen to your body when it is asking for a break.  It's tough some days...maybe you just feel lazy or maybe you really need a rest day.  I'm fairly well in tune with my body and I generally know when a rest day is mandatory.  Although I'd probably benefit from some additional rest days, as I'm sure many of you know, it's tough for a triathlete to just not be doing something training related...we feel lazy.  But don't worry, you can go 3-5 days without any training without loosing any fitness.  I've actually found that I'm stronger and fresher after an extended break (forced for work or some other reason of course) of 3+ days.

So the short version is,

• Always train purposefully...don't just go out and pound away without a plan

• Get a HRM top help guide your training

• Don't neglect your base training early in the season

• Gradually add tempo/threshold sessions after your base is established

• Add speed work as you approach your peak

• Listen to your body and REST regularly
  • HAVE FUN...it's about enjoying what you're doing.  As soon as the fun is gone you'll lose the motivation to train.
2005-06-02 3:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Forget "bumpable" ....

Let's petition Ron to stick a "Pushpin" in this thread!!

2005-06-02 4:24 PM

User image

Miami FL

STICKY please!

2005-06-02 6:39 PM
in reply to: #167062

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
Evil, I think most swimmers here make that mistake for their first triathlon. It's ALL about proper pacing. You just CANNOT win in the water (and this increases in longer races). Tim Deboom, 2x Ironman Hawaii Champ was a state champ in backstroke. He's ALWAYS in the second pack getting out of the water and BUILDS his race towards the run. I think that's important-BUILDING the race.

2005-06-02 7:53 PM
in reply to: #167599

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Nice post, trilover.

Tony
2005-06-02 8:13 PM
in reply to: #167267

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: RE: Training intensity and rest

This is a great post.  I wish I had had something like this to read when I first started training for tri's. 

Joel, you hit the nail on the head talking about training intensity.  Like has been said, it's very easy to fall into the trap of overtraining and ending up injured or burnt out.  I think this is even easier for those who were athletic in a former life and who are now trying to get back into better condition.  And it's perhaps most prevalent for those who were active in more of the "strength" sports, i.e. football, hockey, basketball, sprinters on the track, etc, rather than cross country and distance runners.  The old mentality of "no pain, no gain" still haunts some of us!  Those who are naturally bigger or stronger in their physical build may be able, initially, to really pound out the miles at an impressive pace.  But that WILL come with a cost down the road unless you're smart about working slowly into your training. 

Don't ask me how I know these things!  After sprinting in H.S. and college, I didn't do much of any kind of aerobic activity for several years.  Then I decided to start running to get some fitness back.  And yeah, I started right back where I thought I should be, given how I last ran in college.  BIG mistake!  I did make rapid progress at first...and then ended up on the sidelines, injured and frustrated.  It took me awhile but I finally did learn the lesson that starting out at an easy pace is best.  This is especially true for us bigger (Clydedale/Athena) folks.  If you start with too much mileage, too soon, you WILL hurt your knees or hips.

One last thing, true for all, but again, perhaps most important for the larger framed among us.  Go to a good running shoe store and get the proper shoe for your gait.  You won't believe how much difference it will make and the injuries it will prevent.

Good luck to all who are just getting started in this great sport...but beware....it's addicting!

Edited by Flyboy 2005-06-02 8:13 PM
2005-06-03 9:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La
Doin' tha bump
2005-06-04 3:54 PM
in reply to: #166579

User image

Pro
Reston

trilover - 2005-06-01 9:33 AM ...heading up North for the race in Maniyunck (sic?) this weekend!

I put the MAN in MANAYUNK!

User image

Pro
Reston

edited for quick finger on the enter key

Edited by 3558 2005-06-04 3:55 PM

User image

Pro
Reston

yeah... still hitting the key too many times.  and all for my corny joke.

Edited by 3558 2005-06-04 3:55 PM
2005-06-04 9:31 PM
in reply to: #168597

User image

Elite
Texas
I thought it was funny...bump.
2005-06-13 8:04 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
my turn - bump!
2005-06-14 9:52 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

For all the newbies doing their first race this weekend...

*bump*

2005-06-15 1:22 AM

Thanks for all the info in your post. My first Sprint Tri is in September and I'm in week four of training. I've been following the Couch to Sprint training plan on this site and I'm really enjoying it.

This week I've run into a bit of a problem that I am looking for suggestions on. I live in Anchorage, Alaska (any other Alaskans on this site please let me know) and there are a lot of places that I don't feel safe biking by myself. 1) Because of moose that frequent the trails as well as your occassional black bear 2) Because many trails are frequented by intoxicated individuals who are camping in the woods off the trails as their home 3) As a female by myself I don't feel very confident or safe in either encounter should they occur. My problem is that unfortunately I don't have any friends training with me right now so if I can't find a friend to bike with me...I don't bike. I've been able to get through the first 3 weeks and not miss a bike but last week I missed both bikes and I'm UTTERLY FRUSTRATED.

I'm working on finding some bike trails that are less frequented by #1-3 and looking for a beginner's biking club or group of people. But...especially the ladies out there...do you have any suggestions for biking by yourself? Please help.

2005-06-15 7:33 AM
in reply to: #175077

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Well, carrying a small can of mace would help with the people.  You could velcro it to the top tube for easy access.  I'm not sure what to suggest about the moose/bear situation.  I also keep a small pack under my seat that I put my cell phone, insurance card, ID, and a few dollars (along with a spare tube and CO2 pump) in for most of my rides.
2005-06-15 12:34 PM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MO
I 2nd the sticky idea. oh and until then...

BUMP

2005-06-15 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
This is a great post, Thank You.
2005-07-25 9:15 AM

User image

Elite Veteran