of 25

2009-12-12 4:16 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Subject: BamaDC's Group - CLOSED

NAME: BamaDC / Mark
STORY:
In 2005 my wife (Amanda) wanted to run a Marathon.  And said, “you should do it to.”  So I started training in July of 05 and ran my first marathon in Feb. 06, the Ocala Marathon (4:15:30). 

My quick increase in running volume lead to some overuse injuries.  This caused me to start attending spinning classes.  The teachers were all cyclist and they took my under their wings and I started cycling.  And I swam competitively until the 9th grade, so what the heck… I’ll do a triathlon.  I did a few races in 06, nothing that special… well that’s another topic.  I didn’t do/race any tris in 07, because of our first baby and my last year of Professional School. 

So in 08 I went all out.  I finished Ironman Louisville in 14:19 and improved my half marathon time by 8 min.  1:50 in Feb 08 to a 1:42 in Nov 08.

2009 was year two.  I finished my second Ironman Louisville in 11:36, first Half Ironman in 5:26, dropped my half marathon time to 1:32 and had my first triathlon top ten overall.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a felloow triathlete and going on 6 years.  One son (Thomas) turns three this Jan. and another son William turns one in March. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently focusing on the Bike and training with a powermeter.  Major goals of 10 will be sub 4:50 in a HIM, and Sub 1:30 in a Half Mary

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Mercedes Half Mary 1:34, Hunstville Half May 1:32, Gulf Coast Tri 5:26, IMKY 11:36, and two sprints(1st top 10 OA)

2009 RACES: Mercedes Half Mary, Magic City Du, IMFL 70.3, Music City Tri, Buster Britton Tri, Mountain Lakes Tri, RocketMan Tri, HalfMax Championships, lots of other running and tri events, and IM 70.3 Corld Championships**

WEIGHTLOSS:  I'm currently at 8.2% body fat and I will be under 7% before IMFL 70.3 and sub 6% before HalfMax.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD
MENTOR:  I've got two years of triathlon training and racing under my belt.  I've also been able to do this while keeping a healthy marriage and enjoying my two boys.  I enjoy helping people and let's have some FUN! 

If it's not fun, it might as well be a job!

Edited by BamaDC 2009-12-15 10:17 AM

2009-12-14 10:37 AM
in reply to: #2555842

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
Subject: RE: BamaDC's Group - Open
I am joining your group.  Where do I find the form to enter my information?
2009-12-14 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Mark, I'd like to join your mentor group.
I'm 34, male, with 3 kids and 2 small businesses. Kids are 4 ,2 and 4 months. I started training last year in June. Built a pretty nice base, then the injuries started. Torn Meniscus in right knee, bad ankle sprain in left ankle. The ankle issue may eventually require surgery, but I'm gonna put it off as long as possible.
My goals for this year: Would love to get a few sprints in this spring and an olympic or two. I've decided to try the Beach to Battleship next November if I can stay healthy. That's full IM distance, need lots of mentoring!!!
2009-12-14 11:45 AM

New user
I would like to join this group seems fun and helpful!

NAME: Robert

Family Status: Single no kids

Story: Recently graduated from culinary school and work in a French bistro. After a couple of weeks of working and some 14 hour shifts being on my feet the whole time I quickly realized I needed to start exercising or I would be looking at some knee and back problems as I get older. With very little athletic experience i started riding my bike, building distance gradually. Over the summer I went to cheer on a family friend in a HIM and became terribly interested in the sport.

Current Training: Currently trying to set up a base in each discipline since i have never ran and have not swam in several years but growing up on a river I am very comfortable in open water. Going through the busiest weeks of the year right now at work and dealing with the holidays makes it difficult to commit to a plan but I am looking to start a beginner sprint training program in early January.

2010 Races/ Goals: 2010 will be my first year participating in triathlons am I looking to finish some sprints and olys. The first race I am looking at is a sprint at then end of May. Having little to no history in any of the disciplines I am very unsure of what times I should be aiming for which leaves very little room for disappointment.
2009-12-14 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Bama,

I'd like to join in.  A short rundown:

Family:  Married for 14 years with two boys just a bit older than yours.

Weightloss:  Started out 2009 at 210-215.  I got tired of being tubby, so bought a MTB and went to it.  From Jan through May I lost 45 lbs.  Weighed in at 168 this morning. 

2009 Races:  Two tris (Mountain Lakes and Lebanon) and a couple 5ks and a 10k (Vulcan Run - Loved it).  I wasn't comfortable with competing until I felt prepared.  That ended up being in August of this year.

2010 Races:  Red Nosed 10mile (goal 1:17), Mercedes Half (goal 1:40), Pensacola Bridge 5k (goal 1:40), Buster Britton, Peavine Falls Run, Mountain Lakes Tri, Gulf Shores Olympic.

I started running in earnest in May.  Basically puking after a couple miles at pretty darn slow paces.  My tri finishes were definitely run limited.  Working up to the half in February, so am very run focused at the moment.  Swim right now is next (because I love it) and due to the race schedule.  Bike is lagging and I need to get on it.

This group looks perfect as it looks like the two areas I need help in improving (bike, run) are ones that you are ahead of me.  Swim is a push (but not needing the support as much here).  It also looks like you are somewhat of a gym rat, which is also good.  By virtue of having a weight room 10 steps away from me in the office, I can do that and not impact family time, etc. - so it is appealing.  Getting good functional workouts figured out would be a big help.

Looking forward to 2010 - first full year and I hope a lot of improvement!

2009-12-14 12:25 PM

User image

Regular

Hi Mark. 

If you'll have me, I'd love to join your mentor group.

NAME: Wade

Family Status:  Married 13+ years.  Wife and I doing BT together.  Two kids, 7 and 3. 

Story:  After a scary Dr. appt back in May, I goofed around on Atkins for a few months (40lbs) (273 to start) and then started bike commuting to work and back.  Finding a way to exercise is difficult when you work 12-14 hours five nights a week.  Driving a truck is sedentary as well.  Next, we joined the YMCA at the end of the summer.  One day we found out the pool would be closed the next day (for the annual Medford OR sprint tri).  With no actual training and a messed up ankle, I signed up and finished it.  Now I find that having a tri goal makes it easier to exercise.  Is racing fun?  Maybe I'll find out, the first one was just tiring.

I've compressed vertebrae in my back twice, last time was over 13 years ago (I also married a chiropractor).  I have some left shoulder difficulty (post arthro for torn cartelege) though that is somewhat transient.  My left ankle has some trouble  post-trauma from 25 y/o motorcycle escapades, but with the weight loss and a brace, it is getting better. 

I find that I really enjoy biking, but the fastest bike in my stable is a hybrid with a rack and fenders (trek 7.5fx), except hills I do OK. 

Current Training: I just finished the couch to sprint training program.  My strength/core was lacking, and I overshot on the bike.  For the last 2+ weeks I've been basking in laziness and Medford's icy streets.  We went to Orlando just after Tday.  If weather permits, I ride 15-20 miles per day (commuting).  I've just started the new plan with beginner sprint.

2010 Races/ Goals: Wife and I are looking to repeat the Y sprint at the end of the summer of '10, also talking about the Blue Lake Sprint in Portland OR (June '10 I think), and we have some wacky notion about flying the family back to Wisconsin (my family) to compete in the Whitewater sprint tri in Apr (with as many family as we can convince). 

I've been as low as 217 recently, but this morn, was back at 229 (vacation I guess).  My tri experience is not about weight loss, but I like it as an aside.  The goal on that end is to reduce my size more so that my long ago injuries are less impacted by gravity.

Would love to be the guy running down the street, actually smiling.

Thanks,

Wade

2009-12-14 2:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida

NAME: Brian Cooper

STORY:

I have been doing Triathlons off and on since 1987.  One of the first Triathons I did in 1987 was against a 16 year old kid named Lance Armstrong.  I have loved this sport and got started in it when the Mark Allens and Dave Scotts of the world were pioneers.  I enjoy running and riding and I tolerate swimming.  I am in it to push myself.  I am a goal oriented person.  I will be a middle of the pack person and I am okay with that as long as I get better.  It is exciting to meet new people and love getting to hear people's stories of why they got into the sport and what drives them.  It is fun telling people and looking at their face when you tell them how you train and when you train in my case!  

FAMILY STATUS:

I am maried for 26 years.  We have two daughters.  One is married and a graduate of Appalachian State University in Boone, NC.  She is a teacher.  My youngest daughter is graduating in May from North Carolina State and is planning on attending graduate school in the fall.  Has not decided which one yet.  My wife's story is much like my own.  She is currently not working out but I am setting a good example for her every day.  I know she will come around.  I am blessed with a great family.  My wife and I are empty nesters in Orlando, Florida.  It sad in many respects because we can't see our kids on a daily basis. I just became a grandparent in January of this year.  It is great in other respects because I can train without the obstacles others face with young children.  I have done that earlier in my marriage and know what that is like.  It can be managed but at times hard.

CURRENT TRAINING
I am an executive in a large company and I work long hours (12-14hrs) M-F. I don't train during normal hours. I do my training at 3:30 in the morning on M-F.  It works best for me because I can always count on this time and am not being pulled in any directions.  I have been steady with the running and biking.  I am getting stronger in each.  I just started swimming again.  I have never been a strong swimmer.  I can do the distance but the stoke is terrible and I am slow.  I have thought about getting a coach but don't know if I want to get tied down with a time.  In the PM I swim when I have time. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
Since I started back training on the 1st week of July 2009 - I have completed a couple of 5K's, 1 10K, 2 10 milers, 1 Half marathon, and a century ride.  I am running a little over 8 minute miles in 5K's and 8:38 for 10 milers and 9:08 for the half I just completed. 

2010 RACES:  Miami ING Half Marathon Jan, Century Ride Tour De Cure Orlando, Florida, Florida Great Escape Olympic Tri Clermont Florida in March, St Anthony's Tri in St Petersburg Florida in April,  Florida 70.3 in Orlando in May and maybe a Ironman - Great Floridian in Clermont at the end of October.

WEIGHTLOSS: I just recently got back into the sport in the last 6 months to get fitter.  I turn 50 next year and want to do a HIM and full Ironman.  I have lost 75 pounds since I started back training. Started at 250 and currently weigh 175.

Edited by [email protected] 2009-12-14 2:56 PM
2009-12-14 3:27 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Welcome to everyone.  The only thing I request is, to ask away and try to update your training logs.

Brian I'll see you in May, I'm also signed up for the FL 70.3
2009-12-14 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2558398

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
Look foward to it.  I live on the bike course so if any questions about the area let me know.  Looking foward to getting to know everyone in our group.
2009-12-14 4:32 PM
in reply to: #2558298

User image

Master
[email protected] - 2009-12-14 2:44 PM

One of the first Triathons I did in 1987 was against a 16 year old kid named Lance Armstrong.

So, how much did you beat him by?
2009-12-14 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2558545

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
when I finished he had already went home showered and was on the way to the movies with his girl friend! He was in Plano, Texas back then.  The triathlon was the Waco Tri.  At that time they knew he was something special. 

2009-12-14 5:22 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Jacques - Congrats on the weight loss.  We should be able to meet up at a couple races.  What part of AL do you reside

Wade - That sucks about your back.  I'm also a Chiropractor.

Todd - That sucks about you knee, but what happened to your ankle? 

Robert - What part of the US are you from?  Besides college football, cooking shows occupy most of my remaining TV time.
2009-12-14 8:17 PM
in reply to: #2558609

User image

Master
BamaDC - 2009-12-14 5:22 PM Jacques - Congrats on the weight loss.  We should be able to meet up at a couple races.  What part of AL do you reside

Birmingham.  Reasonably close.  Looks like we'll be at a few events together next year.
2009-12-14 8:36 PM

User image

Hey Mark,

I want to join your group!

I did my first three Sprints this year with good improvment in each race.  I really want to improve significantly in 2010.  I own my own business am married with two kids.  My next tri scheduled is Rebal Man in Oxford, MS last weekend in March.  I would like to complete at leat two Olympic distances and a fall half ironman.

Scott
2009-12-14 10:33 PM

User image

Temple City
Hey Mark,

I hope you still have room for one more.

NAME: Robert (Bob)

STORY: I used to be in great shape when I was younger. Played football, soccer, baseball, rugby and raced bicycles when I was younger. Since college I have been overwheight which has been for many years now. About 5 weeks ago, while planning for my daughter's first sleep over, I thought I was having a heart attack. Shortness or breath etc. I was an EMT for a while when I was in college so I immediately went into triage mode. Turns out I was just having a panic attack at the thought of 9 seven year olds spending the night. It scared me enough to start an excercise program.

I had a friend who woke up one morning and thought, "hey, I am a little puggy. I think I will become and triathlete." He did and has used the sport to become the most fit he has ever been. I figured if it worked for him, I should give it a try.

FAMILY STATUS: Divorced with a 6 year old daughter, a very supportive girlfriend with her kids 10 year old son and 7 year old daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: Step aerobics in the morning, stationary bike in the afternoon, P90-X weight training program, and the couch potato to 5k running program. Starting swimming and more biking in a couple of weeks.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Completed a mini-sprint about a month ago and I am hooked. I have signed up for the Pasadena Triathlon (sprint) in March and I am planning on signing up for the Los Angeles triathlon (Sprint) in 10/10.

WEIGHTLOSS: 5 weeks ago I was about 300lbs and I have lost about 20 pounds in a month. My goal is to get under 175 so I have a way to go.

I have enjoyed the last weeks and want to keep it up. I have realized how little I know and would love to learn as much as I can.

Thanks,
Bob
2009-12-14 10:40 PM
in reply to: #2559022

User image

Master
I was about 300lbs and I have lost about 20 pounds in a month. My goal is to get under 175 so I have a way to go. I have enjoyed the last weeks and want to keep it up.

Killer, man.  Frankly, if I can lose 45 anyone can.  You'll get there.

Oh, and I had to chuckle at the panic attack over 7 year old girls (forgive me).  What in the world are you gonna do when she hits 14?  Surprised

Edited by sand101 2009-12-14 10:49 PM

2009-12-14 11:23 PM

New user
I'm from MD, any food or beverage questions you have I'd be more than happy to lend any knowledge I have. Sadly I know very little about healthy cooking but if anyone needs a recipe full of butter, cream, and duck fat I have lots of those! Everyone needs a reward every now and then.
2009-12-15 12:08 AM
in reply to: #2559032

User image

Temple City
"What in the world are you gonna do when she hits 14?"

I own guns...lots of guns. No seriously. I am a middle school science teacher, so I feel realtively comfortable with teenagers, but seven year olds. I was totally lost. It was also her first sleep over and I did not want it to go up in flames on my watch.

Happy ending: she told me that night that it was the best birthday that she ever had and she is looking for to another one next year...
2009-12-15 4:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida

Mark,
When this group closes can a list of the people who are in so that we can put their names on our training logs.  So far looks like a very diverse group.  Looking foward to seeing everyone progress here. So far I think I may be the oldest at 49.  I turn 50 in April.  It is resting to see the folks on here who are using Triathlons as a way to loose weight and get fitter.  I could have posted something six months ago if I had joined a group and it would have said much the same thing that many have posted in this group.  For me it was my youngest daughter who is a student at NC State.  She came home for the summer the last week of June this year.   She had started running.  She knew I had been in and out of triathlons and asked her old 250 pound out of shape dad to go running with her.  75 pounds later I haven't looked back.  It feels great to get up at 3:30AM in the morning and go running or riding.(no pools here open at 3:30

Again good luck to everyone in this group in your goals.  I ran 8 miles this morning.  What are you doing to improve today?

2009-12-15 5:22 AM

User image

Toronto, Ontario
Hi Mark,

I am a 28 year old Canadian male. I have had much experience in elite sports and associated training (hockey) when I was 15- 22. From age 22 thru 26 I fell off the wagon via university and relationships. In 2008 I completed my first sprint triathlon at 270 lbs and this past season completed three sprints from 260-240 lbs, with continually improved results.

I have just completed a semester abroad in Italy and will be back in Canada for 2010.  I am ready to start the exciting process of completeing a 70.3 by the end of the 2010 season and feel that the mentor program is a smart addition to my goal. I havent stepped on a scale but think I have dropped to around 200-210 lbs this semester via running and healthier eating. My brother is also a triathlete and we have a great amount of support from one another.

I was impressed by your comment regarding balancing your family and training as I will need to balance my schooling and long distance relationship (almost Ironwoman, she locked up in the run) this season.

I hope that I fit the type of triathlete profile that you are looking for to join your mentor group.

Passionate and dedicated,

Richard Fournier
2009-12-15 8:02 AM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
BamaDCMark
[email protected]
Brian
Eagleone
Scott
JgatzRobert
RichfitRichard
rwestgat
Robert(Bob)
sand101Jacques
surprisetriguyWade
titeloops
Todd

2009-12-15 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2559022

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
rwestgat - 2009-12-14 10:33 PM Hey Mark, I hope you still have room for one more. NAME: Robert (Bob) STORY: I used to be in great shape when I was younger. Played football, soccer, baseball, rugby and raced bicycles when I was younger. Since college I have been overwheight which has been for many years now. About 5 weeks ago, while planning for my daughter's first sleep over, I thought I was having a heart attack. Shortness or breath etc. I was an EMT for a while when I was in college so I immediately went into triage mode. Turns out I was just having a panic attack at the thought of 9 seven year olds spending the night. It scared me enough to start an excercise program. I had a friend who woke up one morning and thought, "hey, I am a little puggy. I think I will become and triathlete." He did and has used the sport to become the most fit he has ever been. I figured if it worked for him, I should give it a try. FAMILY STATUS: Divorced with a 6 year old daughter, a very supportive girlfriend with her kids 10 year old son and 7 year old daughter. CURRENT TRAINING: Step aerobics in the morning, stationary bike in the afternoon, P90-X weight training program, and the couch potato to 5k running program. Starting swimming and more biking in a couple of weeks. THIS YEAR'S RACES: Completed a mini-sprint about a month ago and I am hooked. I have signed up for the Pasadena Triathlon (sprint) in March and I am planning on signing up for the Los Angeles triathlon (Sprint) in 10/10. WEIGHTLOSS: 5 weeks ago I was about 300lbs and I have lost about 20 pounds in a month. My goal is to get under 175 so I have a way to go. I have enjoyed the last weeks and want to keep it up. I have realized how little I know and would love to learn as much as I can. Thanks, Bob

Welcome, ask any questions.  This isn't the Tri-Talk or Ironman Boards.  No bashing will go on. 
2009-12-15 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2559135

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Richfit - 2009-12-15 5:22 AM Hi Mark,

I am a 28 year old Canadian male. I have had much experience in elite sports and associated training (hockey) when I was 15- 22. From age 22 thru 26 I fell off the wagon via university and relationships. In 2008 I completed my first sprint triathlon at 270 lbs and this past season completed three sprints from 260-240 lbs, with continually improved results.

I have just completed a semester abroad in Italy and will be back in Canada for 2010.  I am ready to start the exciting process of completeing a 70.3 by the end of the 2010 season and feel that the mentor program is a smart addition to my goal. I havent stepped on a scale but think I have dropped to around 200-210 lbs this semester via running and healthier eating. My brother is also a triathlete and we have a great amount of support from one another.

I was impressed by your comment regarding balancing your family and training as I will need to balance my schooling and long distance relationship (almost Ironwoman, she locked up in the run) this season.

I hope that I fit the type of triathlete profile that you are looking for to join your mentor group.

Passionate and dedicated,

Richard Fournier

Welcome, what part of Canada are you from?
2009-12-15 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2559130

User image

Master
[email protected] - 2009-12-15 4:34 AM

Again good luck to everyone in this group in your goals.  I ran 8 miles this morning.  What are you doing to improve today?

2400 yd swim.  1 hour bike intervals on the trainer.

But doing these things at 3:30AM, now that is is just crazy talk...
2009-12-15 8:49 AM

Good morning BamaDC
My name is Patricia Snodgrass, I am a freelance writer and married for 22 years to the best most supportive husband in the world.  I also have a loving adult son who's equally supportive and wants to help :D
I was athletic as a kid but over the years I stopped running and started gaining. After a lengthy illness that kept me virtually bedridden I gained 100 pounds.  Thanks to the Paleo diet I've taken off 37 pounds and am eager to start back to working out.
Doing a triathlon was a long dead dream, until I revived it two days ago.
Right now Im' working on base, doing the conservative couch to 5k program, plus spinning and doing dry land swimming exercises.
I'm very excited about this and hope that you'll consider me for your group.
Thanks
Patricia
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 25