BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cayrip's and AbbieR's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-12-22 4:15 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: cayrip's and AbbieR's Mentor Group - Closed

LET'S GET TRAINING!

NAME: cayrip/Cameron

STORY: I am a father to my boys and a husband to my wife.  I am a 35 year old triathlete.  I became a triathlete because I got bored with running marathons and wanted to get the cool bike gear.  I also became good friends with the TNT head coach for the ATL group when I lived there and he taught me tons about tris and bike care.  He coached my wife to her first Olympic tri and inspired me to try IMs which I promptly feel in love with.  I love to test my limits.  I travel quite a bit for work and struggle with training while travelling and have come up with many inventive ways to stay active.

I am also a biologist.  I spend most of my runs and bikes looking at wildlife and enjoying the world around me.  That may be why I hate the pool--no bugs, snakes, or birds!

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a triathlete and we have 3 boys 

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm in week 5 of a 23 week IM training plan.  Volume is increasing but it isn't unmanagable yet.  I do need to get in the pool more as these seem to be the workouts I like to skip.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I took 2009 off from racing as it was my wife's turn.  I stayed active with my boys so I could indulge in good food and drink.  Past triathlons include the 5430 series in Boulder, CO in 2008, IM Louisville in 2007, and a myriad of tris in GA before I moved to Colorado. 

2009 RACES:  IM St. George and then a fall marathon to try and Boston qualify.

WEIGHTLOSS: I want to drop 15lbs to be at my race weight for IM St. George.  I've been up to 207 in my history and know how easy it is to gain weight and how hard it is to lose it.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I suffer from ADHD and BT gives me the right outlet to exploit this at work.  I log on daily, update my log/blog daily, and inspire randomly.  I would like use my knowledge and passion regarding triathlons to mentor a small group of beginners who need encouragement, advice, inspiration, etc.   I want to help these triathletes break the barriers that they currently have or may have as they train.  Likely that I have been there of done that before---like wearing a wetsuit for the first time in a HIM (1.2 miles is a long way to breast stroke)--but if I haven't I can track down the right people to ask.

I expect my group to update logs regularly, participate in discussions, challenge themselves to try new things, and inspire me and others to excel our own expectations.   We are in this together.

Edited by cayrip 2010-01-01 4:02 PM

2009-12-23 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2574061

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
Subject: RE: cayrip's Mentor Group - OPEN
Hi, Cameron.  I'd like to join.

Name: Cara, age 31

Story: I'm an engineer and work in racing, so I travel quite a bit, especially during the summer!  It makes training tough!  I did my first sprint triathlon in September and loved it.  I've run a couple of marathons (Cleveland and Akron in 2006) , and have been swimming for about a year, mostly as rehab for my back.  I just started biking two months before the triathlon.  I plan to do a sprint and an Oly in 2010, and would like to work my way up to a 70.3 in 2011. 

Family Status: Happily Married

Current Training:  I  run about 15-20 miles, bike 10-15 miles, and swim about 1.5 miles per week.  I also do yoga 2X and Pilates 3X per week and strength train 2X per week.  Pretty much just winter maintenence.  I have lower back issues, and try not to overdo it!

This year's races:  Portage Lakes Sprint Tri, the Indianapolis Mini Marathon (13.1), and a few other running races.

2010 Races: An Oly (not sure which one), the Portage Lakes Sprint Tri, Indianapolis Mini Marathon (13.1).

Weightloss:  I think loosing about 15 pounds might make the running and biking easier and faster!

2009-12-23 1:11 PM

User image

Expert

Welcome Cara!  Wow. I am impressed with your training already.  How did you find BT?  Once we have filled up (I'm limiting the group to 6), I have a whole bunch of fun intro questions.  Be thinking about your 2010 goals.

Have you considered using the workout log to record workouts?  I'm pretty good about logging all my time there except for bike commuting time which is roughly 30 mins a day.  However, one goal for me in 2010 is to record what I eat and when.  I think that will help me lose the extra lbs and get me to where I need to be for IM St. George.

2009-12-23 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2575541

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
Thanks for the welcome!  I found BT by googling 'Triathlon Forum', looking at a few sites, and deciding this one had the most open and supportive community.

I do log all my training, being an engineer, I have no shortage of training logs, graphs, charts, you name it... it's all in Excel.  I was uing the log here for a while, but it didn't make sense to me to keep multiple logs.  If we want to use this for the group, I can start using it again.

As for food, I use fitday.com (it's free) pretty regularly.  It's amazing all the 'little stuff' you eat and don't really think about... it adds up.  I find writing what I eat extremely helpful!
2009-12-23 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2575560

User image

Expert

What type of engineer are you?  I assume some sort of mechanical based on you forum name.   My father-in-law is a biomedical engineer and teaches at Boston University.   His brain works in an amazing way.  My oldest son has the same brain and he is making his first electrical circuits at age 7 and keeps asking me to explain physics to him.  All he wanted for Christmas was new light bulb, switches, boards, etc.  I'm loving it because most kids his age sit in frontof the TV or computer.

2009-12-23 1:33 PM
in reply to: #2575571

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
My degree is Mechanical Engineering with an emphasis on Vehicle Dynamics.  I am one of the lucky ones who love their jobs.  I always thought if I wasn't in racing, I'd make a good biomedical engineer... the field is fascenating.  I'd want to make teflon-coated kneecaps so I could swap mine out!  Good to hear your son has so much creativity at an early age, and that you are encouraging it. 

2009-12-23 2:09 PM

User image

I'd like to join this group.  I'm a 42 year old who has mostly run for the last 2 years (5 half marathons last year).  I hoped to Boston qualify this year but ended up with a stress fracture - so I have now turned to multisport in the hopes that I can stay injury free and still BQ. 

Right now I'm loving the swimming and usually do that 2-3 times per week, run around 20 miles per week, and am taking spin class 2-3 times per week.  I do some core and strength work, but nothing serious - training will pick up in January.

I'm signed up for the Musselman HIM in July.  I did do some tris in my late 20's so it isn't all new, but it has been a really long time.

Cat
2009-12-23 2:38 PM

User image

Expert

Welcome Cat!  This group seems to be turning into the C's.  Triathlon has certainly kept me injury free.  They say biking does really help running but for me it has evened out a lot of muscle imbalances and made me a better runner.  Boston qualifying is definitely hard.  I came close in Chicago and it is something I want to do before I age up again.

2009-12-23 2:46 PM

User image

Expert

Don't forget to add each other as friends so we can quickly check in with each other, inspire, and find out what you are doing in your training.  If you don't want to use the log and just participate in the discussions that is okay but being able to encourage each other in our logs makes it a bit more personal, etc.

You can chose to keep your log/blog private except to your friends if you prefer.  A lot of folks prefer this so they don't feel compelled to respond to random inspires or want people looking at their training especially if they post weights, personal goals, troubles, personal pictures (kids, fitness/weightloss progress, house, car, who knows what else), etc.

Cameron

2009-12-23 3:30 PM

User image

Cayrip,
I'd like to join your mentor group.  I'm not sure how other than this post, so if there's an official method for joining your group, please let me know and I'll comply.  I'm very new to this site, so you'll have to be patient with me as I learn.

A little background on me...I'll be 33 years old on the 27th.  I ran cross country in high school and have been a runner on and off since then.  At 6'0" and 155 lbs, I've never needed to run to control my weight, so over the years I've done it to stay healthy and in shape.  But, I have to be honest, I was never as serious about it as I was in high school.  I think I was afraid to go back to those painful, fully-redlined-the-entire-race type runs. 

Well, about 18 months ago, we got a little dog (Toy Fox Terrier) that has more energy than any dog I've ever seen.  He's only 10 inches tall, but he could run a marathon (and I'm not kidding - I once took him on a 9 mile hike that was a 3500 foot ascent the first 4.5 miles and a 3500 foot descent the second 4.5 miles, and although I was DEAD afterwards, he was still running all over the place).   So, I started running much more to keep him on this side of sane.  Anyway, through those runs I've learned that I really enjoy the long slower runs and am enjoying running now more than ever.

I’ve always wanted to cross train because of all the known benefits and because I want something I love in case running becomes too stressful on my body someday.  So, one day I decided to do a triathlon, and I’m planning to do my first on March 27.  I found a training program online (can’t even remember where now), and I’ve been doing it religiously for about 4 weeks.  I’m training for the half IM.  If I feel ready come March I’ll do that one.  If I don’t feel ready, I’ll do the Oly or Sprint instead.  Not only do I like a challenge, I NEED it to be a huge challenge to motivate me.  I can tell you that if I thought I was training for a Sprint, I would not be motivated enough.  I need that challenge and fear-factor to push me.

I know a half IM for my first is a lot to bite off, but I’m not that concerned about the physical aspect of it.  As long as I can keep my IT rub in check, I’m pretty certain I can be ready physically.  But, I’m very concerned about all the other unknown aspects of a tri.  I have no idea how the logistics work, so although I’m guessing it’s not too complicated, I also don’t want to embarrass myself on race day.

So, I need as much advice as I can get from those who have done tri’s before – on everything…training, health, race day info, etc.

2009-12-23 7:37 PM

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
Welcome Cat and Cody!

I added today's workout and updated my profile with a couple pictures.   

2009-12-24 8:15 AM

User image

If you have room I'd like to join.

Name: Kevin, age 34

Story: I am a civil engineer, husband, father, and want to be triathlete. I ran in one sprint last year and finished dead last. I blame it on a flat tire that went way wrong (I'll give the whole story later).

Family Status: Happily Married dad to two little girls (3 and 4 months)

Current Training:  I have been getting back into training after a 4 or 5 month layoff with the new little girl. I run, bike, and swim at the YMCA. I start my offical training at the first of the New Year.
This year's races:  GJCC Sprint Tri

2010 Races: Music City Marathon, Memphis in May Olympic Tri, Mach Tn Sprint for sure with maybe another Olympic and Sprint.

Weightloss: I got into the triathlon thing because of weight loss. I like the switch in training and had a blast at my first tri last year.I started needing to lose around 50 pounds according to the doctor. I lost about 25 and the gained back around 10 with the new kid and other excuses. My goal this upcoming year is to lose at least 25. No mater what I'll always be a Clydesdale at 6'5".

2009-12-24 9:51 AM

User image

Expert

Welcome Cody and Kevin.  We are no longer the C's but can still claim the hard Ka sound at the beginner of our names.  I'll be monitoring the site for new members.  I think we can handle 2 more in our group.  I probably won't respond too much for the next few days as I'm home playing with the boys.  We got 8 inches of snow yesterday and sledding is calling our names. 

Feel free to chat amounst yourselves and I'll talk to everyone soon.

Cameron

2009-12-24 1:43 PM

Hi Cameron,

I would like to join your group.

Name: Brett, age 34

Story: I am 34 and new to triathlon. Have been running, swimming and cycling on and ff now for the last 3 months. Always have been active with martial arts and weight lifting, was a good swimmer in high school. Trying to lean out again. Currently 235 trying to get back down to around 200-205. Goals is to compete in Olympic distance tri's this summer and work up to full iron man. Work in a fairly inactive job in Internet Marketing.

Family Status: Happily Married dad to two kids (5 and 7)

Current Training:  Currently run, bike and swim twice a week each.

I look forward to participating and learning from the group.

Brett

2009-12-24 2:24 PM

CO

NAME: Mike

STORY:  Generally athletic all my life.  Grew up on soccer.  Ran 10k's when young with my dad.  Been playing volleyball most of adult life.  Slacked off from athletics when kids were very young.  Moved to CO 5 years ago and decided to get in shape again so I didn't hurt myself playing vball.  Wife decided to do a sprint tri 2 years ago so I thought I'd join her.  Took swimming lessons and started to s/b/r train to mix in with vball training.  I've only done 2 sprint tris so far, and at the end of this summer decided to take a hiatus from vball to focus on s/b/r.  Then signed up for the 5430 series for 2010.  I was just going to do sprints and first Oly, but can't turn down a good deal, so signed up for the HIM also.  Almost 40, but probably in the best shape of my life, except for college when i was playing vball 4x a week, and soccer 2x a week.

FAMILY STATUS: Married.  Have a girl and boy: 8,6. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Just building base to see whether I can even get to HIM distances.  Probably start a 20 week HIM plan in March.

2010 RACES:  1 sprint, then 5430 series (sprint,oly,him).

WEIGHTLOSS: Since switching my training to fully s/b/r in fall I lost 10 pounds and am more concerned now with just keeping weight on.

2009-12-24 2:41 PM

CO
I forgot the whole, "May I join your group if there's still room.  Here's my info: ".

Thanks.

And Merry Christmas.  Now time to go play in the snow.

2009-12-25 11:32 AM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Cameron--I would also like to join this group if you still have room. I'm signed up for IM St. George as well and live in Ft. Collins, CO.NAME: Joe, age 35.STORY: I'm an aerospace engineer by degree, but never worked a day in the industry. I was commissioned as a cavalry officer in the Army right out of college. Since getting out of the Army in '00 I've worked for General Electric in a variety of roles. I'm currently a sales director in the Rocky Mountain region for our Healthcare business which puts me on the road 30-40% of the time. I'm primarily a roadie and had a great '09 season in CO in my cat (35+ IV). I got into tri's right after I got out of the Army, but hadn't done one in a while till the Loveland Lake 2 Lake last summer. I love TT's and long road races. An IM distance race and completing a marathon have been on my list of 2 do's for a while, and as my wife put it last summer, "you aren't getting any younger and your back isn't going to get any better" so I signed up for IM St. George.FAMILY STATUS: Married to the most supportive wife on earth, with 2 daughters 8 and 6 who regularly coach me with great advice like: "Daddy, next time you should go faster" or "Daddy, I think it would be better if you tried to win next time".CURRENT TRAINING: I'm in week 5ish of one of Matt Fitzgerald's IM training programs. I use Polar training software and TrainingPeaks. I was exhausted the first few weeks, but now there are days when I feel like I'm not training enough (especially after watching Kona on Tivo last night). I tweaked the AC joint in my right shoulder with poor swimming technique so I'm going easy on the swim workout's till that calms down.THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did about 16 races on the CO ACA calendar this year and the Loveland Lake-2-Lake. TrainingPeaks made a huge difference for me this year. I was competitive in nearly all my races accept Mt. Evans where the 3 bulging discs in my lower back got the best of me.2010 RACES: IM St. George, full compliment of the CO ACA road schedule, and likely the Loveland Lake to Lake.WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 6'1" and hover around 205. I'm feeling pretty lean, but would like to be 190-195 by the start of IM St. George.

Edited by garryowen96 2009-12-25 11:37 AM
2009-12-25 11:39 AM

User image

HI, my name is Justin. May I join this group? I am 49 married have 2 children: a D 18 and a S 16. I am relatively new . Have never done an official tri, but planning on some in the new year. I live in Taiwan, but am actually from South Africa.
2009-12-25 11:40 AM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
and obviously I need help with my forum editor settings. Merry Christmas everyone!
2009-12-25 6:13 PM

User image

I may be late in the game to join this group but might as well try.

NAME: Kurt

STORY:
  Just finished my B.S. degree at UF and moving to orlando for my masters in mechanical engineering next week. I never was big into exercise but I started road cycling last year and I really like it and now looking to ramp up my over all fitness with running and swimming.

FAMILY STATUS: As single as they get 

CURRENT TRAINING: I run (1-3 miles) or bike (15-20 miles) everyday. I plan on swimming once I get into school because they have pools. My running is real weak because my right knee is not that great but I am working on it.

2010 RACES: I'd like to be able to do some sprints in Orlando over the summer and I really want to do the HIM Miami in October

WEIGHTLOSS:
Right now I'm 6 foot and 190 pounds and I'd like to be around 175 by the summer

2009-12-25 10:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Hello!

I would love to join your group if there is still room!

STORY: I am a 40 year old female who wants 2010 to be the year I complete my first tri! The swim is the part that has prevented me from completing this goal. I have run on and off since 2005. I am a volunteer at the Patuxent Research Refuge in Laurel, MD (perhaps you've heard of it?) I think it's cool that you're a biologist.

FAMILY STATUS: Single but in a serious relationship with a wonderful man.

CURRENT TRAINING: To run through the winter to keep my base. The goal is to run three times a week. I also joined a gym and take weekly yoga and cycling classes. This gym also has a pool and I know I need to start swimming NOW if I want to be ready for a tri in April.

THIS YEARS RACES: I completed one half marathon, one 10K and six 5K's.

2010 RACES: I want to do my first tri on April 18th. And if I am successful at this one, of course I would love to do more! The Maryland Double -- I will run one half marathon on May 2nd and a second half marathon on October 16th. I will also run several 5K's again next year.

WEIGHTLOSS: I need to lose about 15 pounds to get back to my goal weight of 140. This was my weight back in 2008 when I ran my first marathon -- Marine Corps.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you!

Pauline

Edited by pdc33 2009-12-26 8:24 AM

2009-12-26 3:38 AM

New user

Good Morning Everyone.

I would like to become involved with this group as well as anyone.  I could use some direction and encouragement. I'm a 57 year old who has volunteered at several tri's and successfully completed one sprint tri. I finished last, but I finished. I went from 280 to 220 and am planning on hitting 200 in the next 2 months. I've hired a trainer in the gym to work with weights and rehab a sholder. I am 4 years, 7 months, 10 days away from retirement.  I love the bike and swimming, but always hated running. I always thought if God wanted me to run I would have been a puppy.  Speaking of puppies, I have to get Monte, my puppy out running, so maybe he can help me out with that challenge.  I can't see his ribs any longer so he's a little overweight as well. It's the day after Christmas and my fuel source right now consists of afterfumes from pepperoni and chocolate covered pretzels. Ha Ha it's true. Maybe I'm in the right place today. I hope you enjoyed your Holiday and I guess we're in the best time of the year to be thankfull for all we have and all we're going to do this year together. Happy New Year Everyone!!!!!!
2009-12-26 12:42 PM

User image

Cameron,

Hey, it sounds like everyone is jumping on your bandwagon.  Is there room for  one more?

I am a father of four very active boys and don't have as much in common with twenty somethings with no kids or family obligations to interfere with training.  I really interested to hear ideas how you balance it all.

My Story...As I metioned I am a family man, very devoted to my wife and kids.  I am an ex weightlifter, football, short distance track man, etc.  The thought of running, swimming or biking farther than necessary seemed crazy.  Fast forward twenty years and my wife started running, I decided to into better shape and did P90x, and started biking, and next thing you know I did my first olympic distance tri, ran some 15k's just under 8 minute miles (with little training) and now I'm hooked!  I am registered for the New York Marathon in 2010 through a charity with some good friends http://tugmcgraw.org/team/support.asp.  I would like to do several tri events in spring and summer before I start focusing on NY on November 7th, 2010.  I am the head coach of my sons football team with practices 5 nights a week and games on Saturdays from Aug to first week of Oct.  This is going to make training really hard right before my marathon.

I need help with balancing the training between the tri events early then transitioning to the marathon later.  Even more basic is how to balance life, kids, job, church, and training to get to the next level to really be competitive.  I am looking at a new tt bike and have equipment questions also.

Hopefully, we can all share some good insights and get stronger and faster.

Bret

2009-12-26 11:17 PM

User image

New user

Hello Cameron I'd like to join,

My name is Wayne I'm 44 and always wanted to do a triathlon. I am not exactly built for endurance sports spent most of my 20's and 30's lifting weights and just want a new challenge. I am 5'11" 230lbs w type 2 diabetes. I was training for one last year when  I was diagnosed, so I got side tracked a little. I have been running and riding but really don't like the swim much. I have competed in 2 5k's since November and usually run 3-4 mile 3 days a week. When it is warm enough I ride but until then I usually do a spin class twice a week and am thinking of adding yoga. I need to get back in the pool so I plan to start back next week.

I am a CT/MRI tech with a full time job usually 8:30 - 5:00 mon-fri.
I just looking for some guidance and inspiration.

Thanks,
Wayne
2009-12-27 8:05 AM

User image

Hong Kong

NAME: "XTB" XAVI, Spanish married with Brazilian living an a member of Hong Kong Dragons Triclub.

STORY: I am 38 years old, APAC Controller and I started training many times but dropping it very fast due to lack of goals!...I am a Type "A"  guy and need to have objecgives in my life to achieve those. Past sport experience, is sailing from 6 to 24 years old in many international championships, as World, Europeans and other International championsips. In October, I did my frirst Olympic triathlon and planning to achieve my second goal in March 21st, 2010. You can check my other goal about raising funds for a Cancer Childhood organization in Spain. If you want to know more about myself just check my blog started in June 2009...when I started training for my first triathlonhttp://trixavi.blogspot.com)

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Elaine, Brazilian, from my first expatriate experience 10 years ago!

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm in HIM beginner training plan to participate in Singapore 2010, 21st March. Xmas time...not good to follow it up!

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
I did Hong Kong Olympic Triathlon race in 2h34'47'' and I received "Best Newbie 2009" member from my Dragons Triclub in Hong Kong.

2010 RACES:
  Some HM's, 2 Olympic Triathlon and 2 HIM.

WEIGHTLOSS: I want to drop 20lbs, as I am 231lbs and would like to get to 210lbs maximum.

and I would love to join your group as a new Tri-beginner!

Thanks a lot,

"XTB" Xavi.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cayrip's and AbbieR's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 18