Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2009-12-28 7:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: Tri/tbay group - CLOSED

NAME:  Tri/tbay/ Roy

STORY: Started triathlon in 2006, got started as a means of helping my teenage daughter get into the sport. Discovered I really liked the training and racing aspect of the sport. Wasn't playing a lot of golf, and a year after selling my stock car, I was getting antsy to race something. I got a bike, ran my first 5k and and it was on. Am thoroughly enjoying the sport and liking a healthy lifestyle.

FAMILLY STATUS: Married 27yrs, two girls

CURRENT TRAINING: Just completed my first Marathon, that went well and taking a little break from structured training, but still active.  Will begin structured work after the 1st of the year.

2009 RACES: Escape from Ft. Desoto, Scenic 17, Amelia Man HIM and MiamiMan Olympic, Jacksonville Bank Marathon

2010 RACES: Escape from Ft. Desoto, Tent. Ironman Florida 70.3, Scenic 17, Amelia Man HIM, Longleaf Olympic, Jacksonville Marathon

WEIGHTLOSS: Fortunately not been an issue for me over time, I'm 6'1" my current weight is usually around 175, down from 183-85 from two years ago.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: This will be my second year as a mentor, I thouroughly enjoyed the 2009 mentor opportunity. I enjoy sharing what I have learned since 2006, and what is to be learned from those in the group. I'll be consistent responding back to you in a timely manner.

Edited by tri/tbay 2009-12-30 7:13 PM

2009-12-29 12:05 AM
in reply to: #2579668

New user
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group - OPEN
Hey Roy,

I'm interested in joining this group. I'm a 20 year old college student studying marine biology. I've lived a pretty active lifestyle playing soccer and a few other sports. Back in July, I purchased a tri bike thinking I would enjoy cycling (I was right). From there, everything sort of fell in place and I decided I wanted to do triathlons. My university actually has a tri team, but my fall semester hindered me from going to any of their practices. Luckily, my spring semester will leave me plenty of time to train with them in addition to my personal training. I think this mentor program will give me added advice which would definitely help out.

My strength is definitely cycling. Out of all of the training, cycling is what I've focused the most on. I think what I need to work on is consistency and balancing out the training among the three disciplines. My running and swimming could really use some help.

I'm planning on entering a few triathlons this upcoming year. I know there is a sprint sometime in the spring that would make for a good 1st event, but my main goal is the Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Tri.

Justin

Edited by ocean4life 2009-12-29 12:14 AM
2009-12-29 7:14 AM
in reply to: #2581353

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hi Justin, glad to have you on board. I have a 19 yr. old in college who also competes. No organized team at her school, so she kind of has to be accountable to me on her training. She has one of my trainers set up in her dorm room. Look forward to sharing with you in the coming months.

2009-12-29 7:30 AM

User image

NAME: Andrew Robbins - Based in North West England, Runcorn near Manchester.

STORY: Turned 40 last year, tipping 242lbs and fed up of being overweight. Used to play loads of squash and other racquet sports, active hill walker and just got lazy I suppose. Decided to change and used Tri as the way to kick start my life. So at end of 2009 now weigh 217 lbs and completed 3 super-sprints and a 10km.

FAMILLY STATUS: Married 14 years, no children

CURRENT TRAINING: Followed Michael Pates 22-week programme until got bored, 5km training and random swim sessions. Started attending spinning sessions.

2009 RACES: 3 Super-sprints (400m/20km/5km) Best time 1:38:46 (9:56/52:15/36:25). All pool based

2010 RACES: None planned as yet - but want to do 6-8 pool based tri's moving up to 800m swims. Ideally moving to Olympic distance in 2011.

WHAT DO I NEED TO PROGRESS: need to understand more on nutrition, choosing a training plan which will allow me to still fit in spinning and gym glasses. Swim is still weak. Still need to lose another 60lbs or so. Really looking for some advice and motivation.

Edited by andrew.robbins 2009-12-29 7:31 AM
2009-12-29 10:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Welcome Andrew, glad to have you on board. Looks like you definitely have some goals in mind.

2009-12-29 7:16 PM

New user
Hi -

May I join this group? I completed 4 Sprints last year basically on my own and would like to learn from others and have some type of support. I live in Sunnyvale, CA (right next to Yahoo!) and have plenty of training sunshine! My name is David Warner, 46 year old and former military! I love the tri life! My 2010 goals are a couple of Sprints and an Olympic / International distance!

2009-12-29 10:18 PM

New user

Hello Roy,

I was hoping that I could join the group.  I have been doing triathlons for about 6 years but nothing very consistent.  I did a 70.3 in Kansas last year as a relay team.  That got me going and finished the year doing 3 sprints.  Hopefully that was enough to get my first ever ranking.  I wanted to step up a little bit and signed up for Ironman Louisville.  With that as a goal I am hoping to really concentrate on the whole year.

I  would just like to be with a group of like minded triathletes if possible.  Thanks for your time.

Bj
2009-12-29 11:25 PM

I'd like to join your group if you have room.  I am 49 (almost 50) and I am training for my first tri.  I was signed up for one, but I was the parent in charge that weekend and took my boy to a water polo tournament.  Then I was signed up for another sprint tri and it was pouring rain, and my son said we couldn't ride in the rain because it would be too dangerous and we could fall.....and I already have a few times (scars to prove it).....so now I am hoping the third times a charm and I am signed up for a tri in Feb.....

I have 3 kids - boy 12, boy 17, girl  19.......

Now I am taking time for myself.

I am married and have a very supportive husband (or else we wouldn't be married)...and he has done tris....he is just getting over clots in his lungs and is training for a 70.3.  He also mountain bikes.  I am a pure novice who is just enjoying exercising and liking a reason to do it.  I am also a master gardener and a master composter.

Let me know what I should do now....thanks.

2009-12-29 11:44 PM

i would like to join this group.... i am a 27 year old military guy, so i am in somewhat decent shape could lose about 20 lbs, i have not really started any structured training, just not sure on where to start,  my goals : i would like to do some sprint tris in 2010, and hopefully by the end of 2010 be able to finish a half IM, not even sure if thats realistic.

thanks  

TOM 
2009-12-30 3:39 AM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Hi Roy, I'd like to join your mentor group and add an international dimension to it (I come from France and live in the Netherlands). I have been an active sporter all my life but did my first sprint triathlon only this year at age 39 and I can't stop! My first attempt wasn't as successful as I had wished came out last out of the water (200/200) kids and old ladies must have passed me, I got a few people back on the bike and some more running to finish 128 in the top 20 of my age cat (that counted about 30 souls, lol). Nevertheless, I deeply enjoyed the experience and I have discovered a new goal in my life: to qualify for Kona! I built myself a nice training program and give myself 4 years to get there, but I could use a bit of help along the way...Thanks a lot, looking forward to your answer! Cheers, Herve
2009-12-30 6:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Good Morning to you all, and I want to welcome Justin, Andrew, David, Bj, GardenPedal, Tom and Herve to the group. It looks like a good mix ages, goals and ambitions. To David and Tom, thank you for your service to our country. And Andrew and Herve are our international friends in the group. I'll keep the group open for a little longer, I will close it out some time today. As I stated in my introduction sharing some knowledge with others who are getting into the sport is exciting and over the months we will all begin to feel like we know one another even if it is cyberspace. One note last year one of the groups members and I discovered we went to the same college(Kansas State) and grew up about 15 miles apart down by Wichita. So I'm sure somewhere within the group will be something in common amongst us outside of the sport of triathlon.

Most everyone has a goal distance in mind, from sprints to IM so I'm sure we'll have some good information to share. The jumps in training from Sprints>Olympic>Halfs>IM all fit nicely once you get adapted to the training time required for each distance and it won't seem so hard to achieve.

If you have any questions lets get started, we can add one another into your friends group, thay way we can see each others logs. I want to encourage you to use the logs for your training, its a great tool for being accountable to the work you have planned, and you can make notes on how things are going.

So once again glad to have you all in the group.

Edited by tri/tbay 2009-12-30 8:01 AM

2009-12-30 2:14 PM

Hey there! I'm sorry for waiting until the last minute, but I'd love to join if your still open

I'm a current college freshman and was a sprinter on my high school track team for 3 years. After I got to college I realized I wouldnt be having track practices to keep me in shape anymore. I have a road bike that mainly sits on my porch and have had trouble finding motivation to swim/bike. I also have trouble breaking out of speed training while running and am still struggling to build base mileage. I hope by joining a group I'll have an easier time pushing myself into the world of endurance sports.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

-Alice

2009-12-30 2:44 PM

Got room for one more?

Hi, I'm Andrew and I think I would benefit greatly from a mentor program.  I'm 26 and in college working on a medical IT degree.  I got a gym membership a few years ago to get in shape, and after a year or 2 of fumbling around in the gym I decided to do more cardio-intensive workouts. After fumbling around in the pool for a year or 2, I'm probably now strongest in the swim portion.  I've currently started Hal Higdon's intermediate 5k improvement schedule, and I'm in the process of purchasing a bike. 
  My short-term goal is to complete a few triathlons this year to see where I'm at. My long-term goal is to simply improve on my times see where the journey leads me.
  You sound like an experienced mentor and the group appears to be a good mix of people, and if I could join I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

2009-12-30 4:57 PM

New user

Hello,

I would like to join this group if there is room.

I am 52 and need to get into much better shape.  I have not started any structured training and am not sure exactly where to begin.  A much younger version of the current me was a competitive swimmer and sprinter, so there is a foundation to build from, just not sure where to start. 

My initial goal is to work on my nutrition, lose weight, and improve my overall fitness.  I would like to enter my first triathlon in 2010.

Happy New Year!

Debra
2009-12-30 7:06 PM

User image

Kathmandu, Nepal
Hi! 

I am really looking for a group to join but I've got a sort of dilemma...

I am from MA, but I am in Nepal/India until the end of May... I won't be around for a lot of the winter training, nor will I have internet access while I go on expeditions near the Himalayas.  But is there any way I can "request" a spot?  I get back in May, and immediately start training for sprints in Sept.  I am in fairly good shape, and I will be climbing/hiking/ and running in Nepal.  But I just won't have internet, and when I get back I really don't want to be lost in the training world during the summer.  I did 1 sprint last year, and I absolutely loved it.  

Just curious what the possibilities are?

I am a 20 year old athlete who could REALLY benefit from instructions or a training structure/support/advice!!  I flourish under a "coach framework," and last year I just felt kind of lost while training--though the results were good I feel like I could do a lot better. 

I understand if you don't want to accept me because of my extended absence. Or that I would only be 1/2 a group member for the first months...  But the latter months would be great!!

Let me know what you think.
Thanks!

-Sarah
2009-12-30 7:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Welcome Alice Andrew and Debra, glad to have you in the group. This will officially close the tri/tbay group. We have a group  of 10 which should bring on some great conversation and information sharing. I'm looking forward to this years mentor group and I'm excited for all of the group the begin a great new journey, and for some of you a continuance of what is already started.

2009-12-30 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2585185

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Sorry Sarah I missed you, you are in the group. Glad to have you.

Roy

2009-12-30 7:13 PM
in reply to: #2585194

User image

Kathmandu, Nepal
Great! Thanks Roy!!
2009-12-31 7:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group - CLOSED

Good Morning to the Tri/tbay group on this last day of 2009. And I'll start by wishing everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!, Andrew R, Herve and Sarah are a little closer to New Years than the rest of us, so enjoy the evening if your out and about but be careful.

I'll share a bit more about me with you all, I'm 51 by profession a golf course superintendent in central Florida, about an our from Tampa/Orlando. I'm also a swim coach with an age group team, this is an area that is a real struggle for many starting triathletes, and I always look forward to helping those gain in confidence. I'm pretty much a realist when it comes to facets of life, I always see things in a positive way and try to look past/through the negatives. My teenage daughter I mentioned is also a college student in her freshman year, so for the younger ones in the group defintely something for me to relate to. So in my comments to you all I'll always try my best to be encouraging, uplifting and hopefully keep you going.

It looks like everyone is/has been athletic, most have competed in a primary sport in their past or currently. This is good, for the swimmers, you will always be a swimmer and will not struggle. I may seem like its been forever since you had to swim for time, but you'll get it back pretty quickly. For those that have been runners, like the swimmers it will be natural and in many ways it gives you an advantage at the end of events when people are fading, your natural muscle memory will be there and you'll be in a great place. Alice, you stated your are having a hard time slowing down to build base, and it is true it will be hard to keep your pace well below what you can go. It is something you are going to have to learn to do, but it can be done, and we'll get it done. But the great thing about the sport, is that it has natural equalizers from the 3 disciplines, normally everyone will have strength and a weakness.

The mentor forum will be running until the spring, that is usually enough time to get most ready or through their first events depending on where you live. Last year some of the group continued to communicate until much later in the year and thats great to.

I'd like to have everyone at least check in, so I can make sure that everyone is still with us. We've got 11 in the group and I'm ready to go.

Have a great day!!!! 

2009-12-31 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2585775

New user

Happy New Year Tri/tbay Group!

Other than being the oldest in this group and no doubt needing the most training (ugh)... I believe that one of my most significant challenges over the next few months will be time management. 

My days are very full; work consists of a high-paced job at The University of Texas, and I am recently divorced and have 2 children (ages 9 and 16) still living at home (2 additional children also, one graduated from college last year, the other in 2nd year at college).  Much of my days and evenings are fully scheduled and I will have to find the time to incorporate a quality training program.

I too am ready to go, and want to make a change for the better in 2010.

Best to you all,

Debra

2009-12-31 4:50 PM

Happy 2010 everyone!

I'm very excited to finally have the time to train. I've been cutting down my commitments over the past couple years, and have been wanting to do triathlons for what feels like forever. I've let myself fall off the horse over break, so really need to kick myself back in gear. I'm also looking into getting a YMCA membership, so I can get started with swimming.

I've heard good things about the total immersion program and there really isnt any swim club to hook up with around here. Worth the money?

2010-01-01 12:45 AM

New user

Hello everyone,

Just got done watching the fireworks on TV in downtown Dallas and couldn't help to think what a great year it's going to be.  Roy, just a FYI my wife is a K-State alum and she lived just outside of Wichita in Haven.  I did the Salty Dog sprint in Hutchinson last year.

I look forward to learning from everyone this year and communicating back and forth. 

It never get any easier, just faster
Bj

2010-01-01 4:40 PM

New user
Hey everyone,

Happy 2010! I just finished my first ride of the year and it was definitely cold! I do have one question regarding swimming. I never learned how to flip turn. Is that something I should be doing during my swims to keep them more fluid?
2010-01-01 9:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Happy New Year to everyone, kind of been veging out on the bowl games today. Most everyone has checked and given some information that is useful to get started with our info for the upcoming season.

Debra on Monday, I have it on my computer at work I'm going to share some of my thoughts with the group about triathlons and one of the main topics is TIME. So I'll put more into that on Monday. It's good though that you can see this is going to be an important element of everyones training schedules.

Alice, if you don't have any other resources Total Immersion can get you started. Although I'm kind of neutral about TI it can be helpful. But if you have anything specific that I could help you with please ask.

Bj, since you did Kansas last year I was guessing you probably lived somewhere near there or did at some time. I'm grew up in Andover.

Justin, flip turns for triathlon swimming is very optional. If you can do them and it's not altering the swim then go ahead and do them, but if not its not a big deal. Remember there are no flip turns in an open water swim.

As I mentioned to Debra, on Monday I'll share some of my thoughts in a few areas that i feel are important and hopefully helpful towards a sucessful season.

Keep the posts coming about how your training went over the weekend if you had any planned, or if your simply preparing to start your training for the upcoming season. I would like to get a feel for events that you are planning on doing and when they are, it will be helpful in assisting you all in the early season base training period.

Talk to you soon.

2010-01-02 6:35 AM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Hi everyone, great to be in this group - wish you all a happy and sportive new year! H.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7