BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2010-02-16 8:51 PM
in reply to: #2676387

Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group - CLOSED

tri/tbay - 2010-02-16 8:34 PM

blahblahblalice - 2010-02-16 6:01 PM

Big news! I went on my first group ride.. and got dropped in the first 5 miles, haha! It was supposed to be a 30 miler but I cut it short to 20. I'm definatly going out again next Sunday and see if I can hang on for a bit longer. I figure I'll just keep going and maybe one day I'll be able to stick with them. I've only gone on about 3 rides in the past year, so I'm definatly out of my cycling form. We'll see how long it takes

Well I know how that feels, a couple of summers ago I went to on a group ride there were two groups I went with the B group, I made it about 5 miles and out the back door I went. Luckily there was a rider I saw take a different turn than the group I followed him, because I would have gotten big time lost out where we were riding north of Tampa. Keep it up Alice and be careful, learn the ways of the rode and have some fun. What time did you ride, Sunday was really cold in the early morning?

It was on sunday at 1pm so it had warmed up really nicely by then, and yes, it was the B group.

2010-02-17 5:59 AM
in reply to: #2579668

User image

Did it! 4 lengths (100m) without stopping. The last 25 metres was a bit of a struggling but getting there.
I have banned myself from only doing 2 lengths at a time (unless part of a set) as I was finding I was only doing 2 lengths and not pushing on.

5km run last night, spinning tonight.

Next week start the 8-Week balanced training programme - what programmes are other people following?

Edited by andrew.robbins 2010-02-17 6:52 AM
2010-02-17 11:37 AM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands

Way to go Andrew! Next time it will be a bit easier, and a bit easier and so on, and so on. 

Keep it up.

Tonight, I'll try to remember counting how many strokes I do on 100m, it seems to matter.

H. 

2010-02-18 3:17 PM

New user
Greetings Tri People!

Wow! I had a great swim today. I swam a mile at 35:28. The tri club here is gearing up for open water swims so I need to dust off the wetsuit. I have not been riding much, but running and swimming has been going well.

Andrew, what great news! Keep it up and as Herve mentioned, it will get easier and easier.

As far as getting ditched on group rides, I think we all go through that at one point. Being chased by a dog once last summer was the most horrific experience I ever had. I was on a long ride with a group and we were headed up a mile climb (about 2-3%). This dog came out of a corn field and put a bead on me. I have never experienced that before so it was scary. Someone told me to squirt gatorade in their eyes as it burns. Do not throw treats as some say because it will reinforce the behavior of the dog. I don't know, but man that was something.

Santa Cruz Olympic Tri in September. This will be my first at this distance!

Cheers and happy training!

Herve - I have a good friend in Japan right now. He is there on an assignment for his work until May.

David
2010-02-25 11:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hey Gang, I thought I'd better wake up our thread. I hope training and watching the Olympics is going well. OK Andrew you better explain a little curling to us. How do they score the points? And explain the difference in ICE conditions they are playing A,B,C.

I had a great weekend, not so much from training but at our Jr. Olympic swim meet. Our team placed 3rd overall, had lots of best times from the kids and took home some medals of our own. Great to see the hard work turn into results. Afterall that is what we are after as well. So lets keep up the efforts, season is now right around the corner, we all should be getting a little more excited and ready to compete.

I finally did something I've been curious about, I did a Retul Bike Fit on Saturday. Results my bike is a good fit for me, made a saddle hgt. adjustment went up about 2cm, went down on the aero bars, which flattend out my back angle. Should be more aero. Widened out the bars a little, I'm not very flexible in the shoulders, they felt I would be more comfortable with no loss in aero. Discovered a variance in my pedal stroke right side to left side. Which upon further checking found my problem seems to be in my right hip. My right stroke doesn't look very good, to much oscillation compared to my left. Tried a few corrective measures but didn't seem to help. So we decided to leave it where it is and I'll try to see about the hip issue. I've know about my right knee being out to far, didn't know what was causing it. I'm pretty sure it is from a golf injury several years ago, a severe sprain on the right side and it seems that I probably am out of alignment in my pelvis.

But I'm excited to make the change and see what happens, my first event is the same as last year so I should get a good apples to apples comparison.

Hope all is well.

2010-02-25 4:35 PM

New user
Roy -

We are awake! Just training our butts off! Ha. I have been watching the Olympics and with the US Hockey team playing tough it should be a good match up if they get Canada again.

My training has been going well and I have not been biking much....shame on me. My running and swimming have been awesome. I need ride with Herve!

I am staying healthy and having fun!

Hang in there everyone!

David

2010-02-25 5:09 PM
in reply to: #2693131

User image

LOL - I am the curling expert at work at the moment as well!!

The issue with the various sheets A being the biggest problem and particularly the red stones, are the stones themselves.
The are all identical weight and size, but being a natural object (Alsia Craig grantie from an Island off the West Coast of Scotland) they all slightly different properties - some go slow, some curl more than others, some are fast. The teams get to practice with all the stones and note down which ones do what. So the lead may get a stone that goes straight, whereas the skip may use the stones that curl more to make those amazing shots at the end.

Scoring is simple, you get a single point for every one of your stone is nearer to the center than our opposition, there are no scoring benefits from being in the different color rings.

My training has not been going well - a little bit of over training combined with late nights watching the curling :-)

Really had a few days off now, running 3 times and swimming a couple of times.

Re-evaluated my program and confidence has come back - I was sitting too high a standard/pressure for myself. So I need to be able to swim 400m by end of April, I did 9mins last race mostly freestyle if I can go under 8mins I'll be pleased so focusing on technique and sorting this breathing out.

Consistently doing 5km around 30 - 32 mins, with no reall effort - so concentrating on getting that down to 25 mins.

So just trying to set myself achievable goals and not busting a gut and then getting bored.

Mind you, I have 8 games of curling next week in 3 competitions - so that should be enough!!!

Glad you guys are getting some training in - it's starting to get lighter here in the evenings Spring is on it's way, bit more snow forecast.

2010-02-27 8:01 PM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Good to read from you all, 

I was back from Japan yesterday, and it's 2AM now (I'll be so messed up with the jet lag in the coming two days...) wasn't exactly a vacation, working 10 hours a day followed with some eating and drinking sessions but I managed to run twice in early morning (one 12KM to the Nagoya Castle to see the sun rise on the castle - Magnificent!  And I did a little 5K to visit a Shrine in a park south of Nagoya, but the weather wasn't so great that day) anyway, I wonder how much  weight I have gained this week...

I'm not looking forward to swimming Monday, I'll be so out of shape. Anyway, we'll see.

Good you did the bike fit Roy. It's really important to be properly seated, it prevents so many injury and can correct some issues of power loss and aero position. Concerning your knee alignment issue. I used to have the same, in my young days I had a very bad knee injury playing soccer, it's stopped my career right there and put me on a bike (I needed a low impact sport, could not run much). Few years later, cycling became painful as my knee was not aligned. I started using Specialized shoes that have a special sole just for that; and I have to say that the product does what it says, never had a problem again, but they are very expensive. But then again, if it's not painful, you don't need to change shoes, else you may want to look into that. 

Right, nice weekend everyone, H.  
2010-03-01 6:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Herve good to have you back. I test rode outdoors yesterday, fit feels good. Should help gain a little speed. Andrew you are going to have to explain how on the last toss, the Suiss ended up winning the game agains Sweden. I have no clue. Great Hockey yesterday, didn't matter to me that much who one. Of course hoping USA would win, but it was a great game, good sportmanship on both sides and played with great intensity.

I don't know about everyone else but El Nino can go away now. About done with the cold weather. Races are now just weeks away for most everyone I'm sure.

Hope all is well with everyone, have a great day!!!

2010-03-01 7:25 AM
in reply to: #2699181

User image

:-)

Basically it all went wrong for Sweden with his last stone, he wanted it to stay above the tee line so that the swiss couldn't draw through and sit on it. But he was too heavy and as such went past the tee line, this then meant all the Swiss skip had to do was to draw onto those stones for 2, he had a big buffer of stones to lie on. But he was nearly too heavy and hit his own stone on too far however he was ok. Had 2 stones closer to the centre than Sweden and scored 2 to take the bronze.

Shot by shot here: http://winterolympics.external.bbc.co.uk/curling/resultsandschedule...

I will galdly post an explanation to my explanation if needed!!

2010-03-01 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2699228

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Thanks Andrew, I kind of get it and thanks for explaining. I guess like all things its alot easier to understand if you kind of know the basics which I don't. But those guys are really good, guess thats why they are the best in the world.

2010-03-09 2:43 PM

New user
Hi all -

Sorry to be so quiet lately! I have been very busy with my business as I won 2 sub contracts here in California! My time to train has been really hampered out of business needs.

I have been doing what I can and when I can! Mostly running here of late though I did get some swimming in yesterday.

I hope all are well and training hard.

Welcome back Herve!

David
2010-03-10 10:53 AM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Hello everyone,
I also have been struggling recovering from the jetlag and going back to my training routine, but this week I seem to be back. Monday for the first time I managed to swim and breath both sides for my whole training. For some reasons, it stopped bothering me to breath on the left side. This morning I went for an early run at 06:00 before going to work, and  tonight I'll check whether I can still breath both sides...

April is near and with it the first events for me, I am so looking forward to it!

H.  
2010-03-10 1:07 PM

User image

Hi guys hope you are all well.

Back from a long weekend of curling in Scotland; 7 games in 4 days - so that counted for my training.

Got back out running last night - coordination all over the place - but enjoyed it.

Turbo trainer tonight - 40 mins, was ok - but the best thing was I could concentrate on form and my position on the bike, think my saddle is too low. So will adjust and have another go tomorrow night. Any recommendations on turbo trainer workouts?

Weather is still cold here but the nights are getting lighter can't wait until DST starts and then can get out more in the evening.

And.
2010-03-11 5:50 PM

New user
Greetings Tri Folks,

Weather here has been awesome and I am whittling my run pace down. I ran a 9:13 pace for 5K and though tired, I am pleased with the result.

Swam today and total swim was a mile and some change with and without paddles. I am feeling great!

Need to my bike out and get some riding in this weekend!

Hope everyone is well.

David
2010-03-16 6:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Ola' how is everyone. David congrats on your contract with your business, good job. I hope training is well and you all feel like your making progress. I'm not sure yet about myself, can't quite get my training schedule in sink with what I'd like to do. So just getting by with what I can. I've got a house project going on that reallys needs to get finished, hopefully this week. Then after that the wife should let me out to play. I gave a swim clinic last weekend it went well, had some fun. Looks like there are some others who are interested so I might do it again in a couple of weeks.

I have a small event in two weeks that is more like spring training, then in April the season really get kicked off around here. A lot of people use the event in early April as prep for the St. Anthony's Olympic distance in St. Petersburg. But for me I do it to get started and I'm now 9 weeks out from the Disney 70.3. As usual I'm having trouble getting enough time on the bike, I've ridden several time since the bike fit, I'm comfortable now just need to get the mileage up. Do I really have to have a full time job? Easy Answer. YES. So we get by.

Have a good day.

2010-03-16 12:05 PM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
I some time daydream about having a half-time job paid double, not sure my boss shares my dream...

I have been challenged for a running race this weekend so that will turn out to be my first even, and early spring race on 10K. Last year the winner finished in 44, I have a personal best at 43:28 so who knows what could happen?

Looking forward to that, easy cycling for me tonight, spring has finally arrived.

Edited by HerveB 2010-03-16 12:05 PM
2010-03-16 5:40 PM

New user
Greetings All -

Training is going well here and I am back on the bike getting some saddle time! Work schedules and other distractions are agrivating! Besides, my March Madness sheets have priority!

OK, Herve, you have to get on the podium so tell us all about the race! You will do great I am certain. And Roy, I wish I was at your swim clinic! I attended one last year and it really helped, but I could always use some extra guidance.

I have the San Diego marathon on June 6th...my first one at this distance.....ugh!

Happy training everyone and hang in there.

David
2010-03-21 11:51 AM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Right, no podium just yet...I finished in 45 position on the 10K in 49:11, with 190 participants that puts me in the first quarter with some work to do. The winner did it in 34:40! that's not within my reach but I think I have a sub 45 in me. 

We were fortunate with the weather, it was a nice spring day. I started rather fast, covering the first 5K in 23:20 but I struggled afterwards - ah, anyway I enjoyed it and it gives me something to work with. 

Next week I have to do some serious training,  Tongue out hope you too had a good weekend, H. 
2010-03-25 12:54 PM

New user
Just checking in.

I've been busy with school, so my training hours have dropped down significantly. I did however volunteer for a high intensity interval training study at my school, so it will be interesting to see if it helps me out any. Part of the study involves vo2max and vo2peak tests and I finished my first round this week. Apparently my level is 62 and that's supposed to be good for my age group.

No questions as of right now. Although, if you have any tips for putting on tri shoes as you are riding that might help. I still haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

Edited by ocean4life 2010-03-25 12:55 PM
2010-03-26 9:59 AM

New user
Greetings and I am checking in as well. I am super busy with work and have been finding time to get the training in altough I wish I could dedicate more time / structure into my workouts!

How is everyone doing? I see the weather has been good for others so I hope you are taking full advantage of that and getting some quallity time in training.

Herve, sub 45 is a great goal and I know you can do it!

I will check back in this weekend!

Cheers,

David

2010-03-26 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2748309

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

ocean4life - 2010-03-25 1:54 PM Just checking in.

I've been busy with school, so my training hours have dropped down significantly. I did however volunteer for a high intensity interval training study at my school, so it will be interesting to see if it helps me out any. Part of the study involves vo2max and vo2peak tests and I finished my first round this week. Apparently my level is 62 and that's supposed to be good for my age group.

No questions as of right now. Although, if you have any tips for putting on tri shoes as you are riding that might help. I still haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

Justin good to hear from you, I know its a busy time at school this time of year. My oldest will be graduating from college in May. As to putting on shoes while getting going. PRACTICE,  I use a road shoe but I manage OK doing it. Put your bike in transition with the cranks at a level position with the  pedal your going to step into first the pedal should be forward. I don't support it with rubber bands of anything but lots of people do use something to keep the shoe upright. Once you get your bike off of the rack and to the mount line just step on the shoe and get yourself going. At that point this is where practicing comes in, you have to be able to steady the bike, easier on a road bike than a tt bike.  Once you feel you have some momentum reach down with your R/L hand which ever it is as hold down the toe of the shoe and get your foot into the shoe, pedal to get your mometum going and then do the other side. If you have tri shoes it is easier to get into and get the strap secured than a road shoe. As you come to the dismount area kind of repeat the process, once again  practice steadying the bike get out of your shoes, you'll then have both feet on top of the shoe and most likely be in a sitting up position, slow the bike step over and dismount either at a complete stop or slighty moving. One thing to note, on the dismount the  pedal your are standing on is now at the bottom of the stroke with a shoe on it, I've seen some major wipeouts when the rider is completely off of the bike and trying to run, the shoe wedges slighty on the ground and down you go. This mostly occurs with the guys who are doing the full speed flying dismount. Can you say OUCH>

Best advice is to  practice mounts and dismounts and get used to it.

I'll be interested in your VO2 study. So make sure you share what you can with us.

Edited by tri/tbay 2010-03-26 10:17 AM
2010-03-26 2:48 PM

User image

I know I shouldn't - but are race organizers in the real world?

We had a big telethon for a charity called sport relief in the UK so far £32 million has been raised, and the show piece is everyone running 1 mile, 3 miles or 6 miles. So turn up for the 3 mile race of which the first 200yds is on a boggy field and the rest is on the road. Result = 2 damaged ankles and not being able to run for a week!!! ARGHHH!

So training has been curtailed, that together with work/curling has meant limited training.

Got going on the turbo - how dull is that

Finally got back into the pool, doing some skills drills for form - is starting to make a difference.

DST starts this weekend, so some nice evening runs and rides awaits!

Hope everyone is ok, and keep training.
2010-03-29 11:46 AM

New user
Hi All -

I hope everyone had a great weekend. I had some decent running and swimming time in lately even with my crazy schedule. Still preparing for the San Diego Marathon on June 6th so I am learning the logistics of bringing fuel and liquids for longer runs. It seems my shortest runs are no less than 60 minutes. Saturday was a 10 mile 90 minute run. I am hanging strong with a sub 10:00 min pace. I hope to at least shoot for a strong 9 min pace. Also, serious chafing so I need to find a remedy! Ouch!

My swimming is amazingly getting easier. I am doing a mile plus without heavy breathing. I have been swimming a 1/2 mile without paddles and then a 1/2 mile with paddles. I feel very good in the water. The tri club here is starting open water swims so I should be able to get some lake time in as well.

As for the biking, I am struggling to find time to hit the road, but I have made a decision to really get out and ride more.

I hope everyone is well.

David
2010-03-29 12:34 PM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Hello everyone, 

I have a week off this week, so I am going to be able to train and relax at the same time. The weather is quite nice so that's great. I logged a few hours on the old bike in the weekend, but man, what a wind!

I too find that swimming is going much better, I can breathe both sides now, and working on 6 stroke intervals to increase my breathing capacity. I got my PB at 10:40 on 500m. I hope to be able to get under 10 this weekend, I have a sprint duathlon, should be fun if it doesn't rain. It seems that the more you swim, the easier it gets.  

have a great week, H.  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7