General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike question -- can I buy speed? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-01-05 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Thousand Oaks, CA
Subject: Bike question -- can I buy speed?

I have been cycling consistently for about 9 months.  My distances have been increasing over time, but my average speed has maxed out around 14-15 mph.  I have hilly terrain where I live, so that accounts for part of it. 

My current bike is a Cannondale Adventure 3 hybrid bike pretty much like the one listed on this link, except I have Deore, not Alivio.  I get a good workout on the bike, and my engine is steadily improving, but I want to go faster, faster.

I'm thinking of buying myself a road bike as an early birthday present.  But I am overwhelmed by the selection, and I only want to do it if it will bring a speed increase (average 3-4 mph given the same engine would be nice "out of the box"). 

I have two questions:
1.)  Assuming I have about $2k to spend can my dreams of faster speed come true?  I'm not looking for the lightest bike with the best components -- I want to spend the least to get the greatest bump in speed.  At what price point are difference noticeable only by advanced athletes?  Said otherwise, what's the minimum entry fee for a fast road bike?

2.)  I picked the $2k b/c I've been eyeing the Cervelo P1 (ok... it's a little more than $2k).  For the same price, I can get a Cannondale carbon Synapse 4 using a discount I get through my local tri club.  At a given price point, is there much difference in the quality of the bikes?  Or should I ignore brand and focus on what fits the best?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice!

2010-01-05 5:35 PM
in reply to: #2596244

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Subject: RE: Bike question -- can I buy speed?
i would guess going from a hybrid to a road bike would give you atleast 1 mph. .

FWIW - on my mtn bike,  i have to push pretty hard to avg 15-15.5 mph (it has 2.5" wide tires).  on my road bike, for the same effort, i would be in the low 19's.  of course, a hybrid does have skinnier tires, but a road bike is going to be smoother and faster, and will likely make you train more, which is what does the most benefits for speed.
2010-01-05 5:38 PM

Veteran
Missoula
If anything, you'll FEEL faster.....that translate into more speed for me.
2010-01-05 5:39 PM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Speed comes from the engine. However, the device being powered can impact the speed. I won't venture a guess on the answer to the difference between the road bikes, I'll leave that for someone more knowledgeable. Fit and comfort are also factors, I road many brands before deciding what felt best.

I can answer on the hybrid to road bike because I was fortunate enough to go from 1 to the other. First day out I saw a 2 mph improvement. In the 3 years I have had my road bike (almost 4, gee might be time for a new bike) I have seen another increase of 3 to 4 mph as my skill/technique have improved.

So to answer the question, yes a road bike will help, but you also need to be patient.
2010-01-05 5:42 PM

Regular
SF Bay Area, California
Simple answer, yes you can pick up a lot of extra speed.  On my mountain bike (with hybrid tires) I average about 15 MPH on my most used course (Some hills but not mountainous).  On my old road bike I average 17 MPH without aero-bars on the same route.  With clip-on Aero bars, that goes to almost 18 MPH, if I stay down on them the whole ride.  On my tri-bike, which puts me into a better aero position, I am closer to 19 MPH.    

That said, the difference between a low-end, cheap, used tri bike and the highest level, most expensive, tri bike is probably extremely small.  It may not even be measurable.  The wheels and your helmet are far bigger factors. 

A clarification: The speeds given are averages over many rides of the same route. Wind speed, wind direction, elevation changes, body type, flexibility, and many other factors can effect your results. These are just data points from my own experience and my habit (over ten years) of recording average speed for every ride I ever do.

Edited by JJohn 2010-01-05 5:51 PM
2010-01-05 5:54 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Best way to buy speed is to pay with the sweat of your effort and your time in the saddle. Take your highest logged mileage month (July, when you logged ~125) and work your way up to that being your weekly mileage. Hold that for a few (18-24) months and you'll get that 3-4mph.

That said, if a new bike and the investment therein gets you to that mileage level, then you can say you bought the speed. Some people need that motivation that an expenditure brings, and a newer, nicer bike encourages most people to ride more.

2010-01-05 6:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'm a new rider and I've found that I was unable to buy speed in my road bike.  I was lucky enough to find a lightly used Madone and figured I was ahead of the game with a great bike.  Yet I'm still slow as molasses.

On the plus side, I know I'll never exceed the capabilities of my bike.  Still, I feel like I'm letting the bike down with my slowass riding.

2010-01-05 7:04 PM

Veteran
sacramento, Colorado
Here is the ultimate link to buying speed...
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/5749137/
2010-01-05 7:41 PM

Master

From mtn bike to road bike, or even from hybrid to road bike, yes, you can buy free speed. It's significant, and worth the investment in a road bike if you intend on competing to the best of your ability. You can gain minutes per hour of cycling, which is a lot of bang for the buck, in any price range.

From road bike to road bike, or even road bike+aerobars to tribike, though, the differences are much, much smaller. Like on the order of 40 seconds per hour of all-out cycling.  Even a 1960s era Univega with narrow road tires and a properly adjusted drivetrain will be able to be raced as fast as a current-generation road bike. Which is why you see pros jumping from bike to bike depending on which company sponsors them.

2010-01-05 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2596393

User image

Veteran
Ridgewood, NJ
kingofbanff - 2010-01-05 7:04 PM

Here is the ultimate link to buying speed...
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/5749137/

Now that is really funny.
2010-01-05 7:56 PM

User image

Champion
MA
If you want to be even faster consider skipping buying the road bike and go straight for tri bike.

I went from upright hybrid that I think I averaged 12.6 mph in my first tri to just under 17 the following year with a road bike set up in tri position. Following year I bought a tri bike and bumped up my speed. Clearly my training helped as well.

Lots of folks like me get a road bike and within a year they get a tri bike. I've been on BT since '04 and seen it happen over and over again.

2010-01-05 9:37 PM
in reply to: #2596475

User image

Master

Funny but I have the same, or similar question.
I guess my question is how much speed-
I know that the biggest bang for the buck are things like aerobars, clipless pedals and an aero helmet. What about wheels and the cool looking aero frames...are they just cool looking?

If tri bikes are so fast, why do professional road cyclists ride road bikes for most races instead? Not trying to be snarky, but I do want to know.

2010-01-05 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2596670

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
eliwashere - 2010-01-05 9:37 PM
If tri bikes are so fast, why do professional road cyclists ride road bikes for most races instead? Not trying to be snarky, but I do want to know.

Mostly because the ruling body for road racing does not allow TT bikes during road races.  Individual and team time trials are an exception to that rule.

Also, in road bike racing, you get the benefit of drafting, so aero bars are not needed, although Scott did try to make a road race legal aero bar a looong time ago.
2010-01-05 9:54 PM

Akron, OH
If you watch the pros do a time trial, which is much more like the bike portion of a triathlon, you will notice they are all using TT (tri) bikes with aero everything.With regard to the original question, I think if you are comitted to tri training and racing you can easily justify the upgrade from a hybrid bike to a road or tri bike. I have no doubt you will see the 2-3 mph you are looking for. As far as which one, that depends on what type of riding you do. I only train alone or with another triathlete or two, don't regularly ride with the roadies, don't to tours, centuries, etc, so I went straight to a tri bike. If I did any significant amount of those other things I would have gotten a road bike for sure if I was only to have one.My personal opinion is unless you are racing for money, which very few of us are, It's purely a decision on what you want and can afford. There is really no use justifying it, or even trying to. The amount of speed gained from a sub-thousand dollar basic roadie or tri bike to the most expensive carbon beauty is what? 1 mph, or 3 minutes on an OLY course?? Pretty hard to make a good case for unless you are making money at this. However, here's the beauty of hobbies. They aren't supposed to make economic sense. The only questions you need to justify is can you afford it? I wouldn't mortgage my house, my kids education, or my retirement, but if you have the cash, why not? It's every bit as justifiable as that 2k ski trip, or whatever, or even more so in my mind. I intend to spend a lot of hours on a bike, and use it for years. Having said all that, I bought a Cervelo P2 SL, last years model, aluminum tri bike with Ultegra components, last years model for 995 bucks last spring. I'm easily 4-5 mph faster than my mountain bike and couldn't be happier, but that's just me. I have too many hobbies to have the highest end stuff for each one.

Edited by dscottmd 2010-01-05 10:14 PM
2010-01-06 12:13 AM

Regular
SF Bay Area, California
eliwashere - 2010-01-05 9:37 PM

I know that the biggest bang for the buck are things like aerobars, clipless pedals and an aero helmet. What about wheels and the cool looking aero frames...are they just cool looking?

Actually the biggest bang for your buck is probably coaching, swim lessons, or a good bike fit.  Another best bang for the buck is to hire someone to clean your house or do the gardening and then you can spend that new found free time in the saddle.  

But, yes, of course, given a certain fitness level, the aero bars, wheels, helmet, and frame will make a difference.  My data a few posts up shows that.  Do a goggle search and you can find several articles that rank the above items as to their benefit.
2010-01-06 12:44 AM
in reply to: #2596834

User image

Sensei
Sin City
In my opinion, you can see a couple MPH increase going from a 26" MTB with slicks to a road bike and maybe a 1-2mph increase going from a road bike to a tri bike IF you are in aero on the TT bike.  If you are sitting up and on the bar, it's no faster than a road bike.  The biggest reason a tri bike is faster is because it lets you ride in aero.  In fact, many a heavier than their counterpart road bike (same components, frame material...

All the other things?  Wheels, earo helmet, etc WILL get you speed, but not enought to be quantifiable by looking at the bike computer...  It's only seconds per kilometer...

This is not based on any science I can reference (well, I can point you to the earo bennefits of certain gear), but more from personal experience.

2010-01-06 4:40 AM

User image

Master
Connecticut
You are at a speed disadvantage on the hybrid.

You will see a significant difference if you switch to a road bike (any new road bike) as it is lighter, has less rolling resistance, and most significantly your position is more aerodynamic.  I'm not sure if it will be 3-4mph, but I would not be surprised by 2mph "out of the box" as you say.

If you switch to a tri/TT bike with aerobars, it is reasonable to get another 1-1.5mph over your speed on a road bike in the drops.

The difference between one road bike versus another is comparatively very small.  Choice will come down to personal preference for fit & riding characteristics.

Edited by dredwards 2010-01-06 4:41 AM
2010-01-06 6:28 AM
in reply to: #2596891

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
dredwards - 2010-01-06 5:40 AM

You are at a speed disadvantage on the hybrid.

You will see a significant difference if you switch to a road bike (any new road bike) as it is lighter, has less rolling resistance, and most significantly your position is more aerodynamic.  I'm not sure if it will be 3-4mph, but I would not be surprised by 2mph "out of the box" as you say.

If you switch to a tri/TT bike with aerobars, it is reasonable to get another 1-1.5mph over your speed on a road bike in the drops.

The difference between one road bike versus another is comparatively very small.  Choice will come down to personal preference for fit & riding characteristics.

Much like Kidos point about needing to stay aero on a tri bike, a road bike brings it's maximum gain if you ride in the drops and not on the top of the bar on on the hoods of the shifters. I went to a seminar where the speaker presnted data showing 15% gains switching from the bar top to the drops.

See Kim's avatar for perfect positioning!
2010-01-06 7:08 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
eliwashere - 2010-01-05 11:37 PM

The UCI limits TT bikes to TT's because while the bikes are fast for their intended purpose, there are other events that they are poorly suited for.  Most road races are draft legal and using a TT bike in a peloton is a really bad idea.  Due to the geometry and weight distribusion on a TT bike, they are designed to go really fast in a straight line but are usually not the greatest handling bikes in the world and if you are in the aero position, your hands are not close to the brakes.

Even draft legal triathlon (ITU elite) limits the size and type of aerobar that can be used and the majority of the field are riding road geometry with shorty aerobars.

Shane
2010-01-06 9:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL

StevenK - 2010-01-05 6:21 PM

2.)  I picked the $2k b/c I've been eyeing the Cervelo P1 (ok... it's a little more than $2k).

$1700.

2010-01-06 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2596891

Veteran
Vicksburg
dredwards - 2010-01-06 4:40 AM You are at a speed disadvantage on the hybrid.

x2, on a hybrid you are definatly at a disadvantage.

2010-01-06 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2596687

User image

Master
Bumble Bee - 2010-01-05 9:50 PM Mostly because the ruling body for road racing does not allow TT bikes during road races.  Individual and team time trials are an exception to that rule.

Also, in road bike racing, you get the benefit of drafting, so aero bars are not needed, although Scott did try to make a road race legal aero bar a looong time ago.

OK, thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I hadn't thought of it in terms or drafting, and didn't know about the rules.
2010-01-06 12:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
I've also read that tri positioning uses the hammies more and saves the quads for running. I found having to lug 10 extra pounds of bike up a hill makes a big difference...never mind 10 extra pounds of a$$ (sorry, that's my motivation creeping back home -post in COJ)
2010-01-06 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2598106

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

dermoski - 2010-01-06 10:48 AM I've also read that tri positioning uses the hammies more and saves the quads for running. I found having to lug 10 extra pounds of bike up a hill makes a big difference...never mind 10 extra pounds of a$$ (sorry, that's my motivation creeping back home -post in COJ)

Yes, you read that, but it's a myth. 

2010-01-06 1:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Thousand Oaks, CA

dredwards - 2010-01-06 2:40 AM You are at a speed disadvantage on the hybrid.

This is what I was hoping to hear.  There does appear to be consensus that there are some speed improvements to be gained going from the hybrid to the roadie.  Even more going to a tri bike -- but I'm not ready for that kind of commitment yet.

the bear - 2010-01-05 3:54 PM Best way to buy speed is to pay with the sweat of your effort and your time in the saddle. Take your highest logged mileage month (July, when you logged ~125) and work your way up to that being your weekly mileage. Hold that for a few (18-24) months and you'll get that 3-4mph.

This is what I know to be true.  Ah... BT, you are so fickle.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughful responses.  I wonder if I can rent a roadie and try it for myself.  Think I'll put in a call to my LBS.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike question -- can I buy speed? Rss Feed  

of 2