General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike question -- can I buy speed? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-01-06 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2596244

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Bike question -- can I buy speed?
Only if the bike is red will it be guaranteed to be fast.

2010-01-06 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2598153

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
StevenK - 2010-01-06 2:08 PM

dredwards - 2010-01-06 2:40 AM You are at a speed disadvantage on the hybrid.

You will see a significant difference if you switch to a road bike (any new road bike) as it is lighter, has less rolling resistance, and most significantly your position is more aerodynamic.  I'm not sure if it will be 3-4mph, but I would not be surprised by 2mph "out of the box" as you say.
If you switch to a tri/TT bike with aerobars, it is reasonable to get another 1-1.5mph over your speed on a road bike in the drops.

The difference between one road bike versus another is comparatively very small.  Choice will come down to personal preference for fit & riding characteristics.

This is what I was hoping to hear.  There does appear to be consensus that there are some speed improvements to be gained going from the hybrid to the roadie.  Even more going to a tri bike -- but I'm not ready for that kind of commitment yet.

the bear - 2010-01-05 3:54 PM Best way to buy speed is to pay with the sweat of your effort and your time in the saddle. Take your highest logged mileage month (July, when you logged ~125) and work your way up to that being your weekly mileage. Hold that for a few (18-24) months and you'll get that 3-4mph.

This is what I know to be true.  Ah... BT, you are so fickle.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughful responses.  I wonder if I can rent a roadie and try it for myself.  Think I'll put in a call to my LBS.

Bike shops usually have rentals (the ones around here do, in any case)- if you are really that interested to quantify it. I'd rather put the $50 towards my new bike fund than rent one to quantify the mph differerences. I think you will get a big bump moving to a road bike from a hybrid. How much is debatable and impossible to predict without knowing more about you and your history, but it doesnt really matter.

And if you are looking for "speed", there seems to be one dodgy kid in every high school who sells the stuff! But I don't think speed is the thing these days- that's so 80s!
2010-01-06 7:02 PM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
BIG YES. Money can't buy happiness but it can sure as hell buy speed. If you are getting 15 MPH on a hybrid, which probably weighs twenty-eight pounds and has 2" tires, you will freakin' fly on a road bike or a tri bike. All that stuff about "it's the indian not the arrow" is a bunch of crap when you are talking a racer versus a hybrid. You'll fly.

Talk to your bike shop about a road bike versus a triathlon bike. IMHO, tri bikes are not good for much else besides racing and race training. (I'm in the market for a tri bike now ... but have been racing on my roadie for about two years.)

Let us know how much faster you get....
2010-01-06 9:07 PM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
You will certainly feel faster and cooler in a triathlon on a road bike or a tri bike. So therefore you should be able to go faster. Treat yourself!
2010-01-06 9:49 PM
in reply to: #2599033

User image

Master
jsselle - 2010-01-06 8:02 PM BIG YES. Money can't buy happiness but it can sure as hell buy speed. If you are getting 15 MPH on a hybrid, which probably weighs twenty-eight pounds and has 2" tires, you will freakin' fly on a road bike or a tri bike. All that stuff about "it's the indian not the arrow" is a bunch of crap when you are talking a racer versus a hybrid. You'll fly.

Talk to your bike shop about a road bike versus a triathlon bike. IMHO, tri bikes are not good for much else besides racing and race training. (I'm in the market for a tri bike now ... but have been racing on my roadie for about two years.)

Let us know how much faster you get....

x2
I have seen this repeatedly in group rides where an athletically gifted rider brings a hybrid and struggles to keep up with the slower groups. One kid stayed with the middle group but spent over half the ride out of the saddle. I let him use one of my older road bikes and he was able to stay up with the front group
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike question -- can I buy speed? Rss Feed  

of 2