General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone loss any SERIOUS weight??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-01-06 10:38 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Anyone loss any SERIOUS weight???
I recently been interested in the diet that Alton Brown did (and wrote a book about) to lose 40 lbs in 9 months...  From the 30 minutes of Good Eats, it seems VERY sensable and reasonable...  BUT, it got me thinking if there are some other sensable programs that people have followed for HEALTHY weight loss.

No Atkins, South Beach, cookie diet, etc....

2010-01-06 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2597683

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Anyone loss any SERIOUS weight???

I have tried everything. Low-carb, Atkins, SouthBeach, low-fat, this-that diet and everything in between. I have come to one conclusion, providing there is not some medical condition, people are overweight because they too much food.

Over the last year I have lost 80 lbs.........60 lbs since June when I became a vegetarian.  I went vegetarian not for ethical or political reasons, but I wanted to decrease my saturated fats and I'm just an all or nothing person. It was easier for me to eliminate all meat then it was picking and choosing which meats are healthier.

Here's the key I always, I mean always, shoot for 2000 calories a day. At first I logged the food I ate. Now I have a gotten good at "eyeballing" calories and do not log food. I run 4x week, cycle 2x week and swim 2-3 days a week. I'm upping my miles for an upcoming 1/2 mary. That will be my challenge. Keeping my hunger under control.

I still have days when I blow it. When I do I just start over the next day. Just like we all do with training. I'm still fat, thought not as fat. I am convinced, providing there is not some medical condition (which is rare), we are the reason we are overweight. When we consume more calories than we burn we gain weight. When we consume less calories than we burn we lose weight.

This is just my personal observation. Since I have been on BT I have seen "clydesdale" triathletes that have done sprints, oly, him and IM's. Wow, I can only dream. However, I wonder if the training that it takes to get ready or those distances actully hinder weight loss. If there is a time when training needs to be scaled back in order to reduce calories to encourage weight loss.

2010-01-06 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I lost about 50 pounds in 3 months when I quit drinking.
2010-01-06 12:18 PM

User image

Regular
I seriously don't think the South Beach Diet belongs on that list. Read it,  It is just eating right.  No low carb, no low fat,  just teaches you what good carb, good proteins & good verses bad fats are.   Weather you have read that book or not, if you are following a well ballanced diet your doing the South Beach Diet.   I use to watch Sesame Street and the Cookie Diet turned Cookie Monser Blue Dont do that one LOL!!
2010-01-06 1:30 PM

User image

Regular
Southeastern Louisiana
I will chime in at 74 lbs.

On August 3rd, my 40th birthday, I weighed 328 lbs. I got on the low carb diet and began walking. I have not done anything physical in 12 years. As a former athlete, I know a little bit about training and so it began.

The first day I struggled to walk 2 miles, as of last Saturday, I completed my first 5K in 30 minutes. I ran all of the way, slow but consistent. I now weigh 254 lbs. and just reentered the National Guard after a 15 year absence.

I am now off of blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds and have a normal blood presure. I feel better now than I did at 30. The dieting has been a roller coaster for me, but I made it up in my mind that it was time and that has been it. I fluctuate the diet a little now where I will eat if I get hungry, but it has been a long 5 month journey.

Good Luck in what you decide.
2010-01-06 2:19 PM

User image

Bloomington
-206 pounds and holding in a little over two years.  At least that is what I think I weighed, but it may have been more because I exceeded the scale's capacity. 

No gimmicks here...I moved more and ate less.  Honestly at 380 pounds it didn't take too much to drop weight.  I stopped eating entire pizzas and doing whatever I wanted.  At 299 it required a little more commitment and I started biking.  At 250 it required more attention and activitiy still, but I could do more as well.  That's when I started to run.  I'm now down to 9% body fat, and it takes quite a bit of attention to detail.  Mostly it's just whole good foods, but I get to enjoy the occasional beer or pizza as well. 

When people ask me how to loose weight, I always say it's all about the small positive changes I made slowly over time.  There were countless plateaus and slowdowns along the way, and every time they happened I'd continue to tweak my diet. 

I am curious about the AB diet though...what was the name of that book?  I love Alton. 

2010-01-06 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2598368

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii

JustMike - 2010-01-06 10:19 AM -206 pounds and holding in a little over two years.  At least that is what I think I weighed, but it may have been more because I exceeded the scale's capacity. 

No gimmicks here...I moved more and ate less.  Honestly at 380 pounds it didn't take too much to drop weight.  I stopped eating entire pizzas and doing whatever I wanted.  At 299 it required a little more commitment and I started biking.  At 250 it required more attention and activitiy still, but I could do more as well.  That's when I started to run.  I'm now down to 9% body fat, and it takes quite a bit of attention to detail.  Mostly it's just whole good foods, but I get to enjoy the occasional beer or pizza as well. 

When people ask me how to loose weight, I always say it's all about the small positive changes I made slowly over time.  There were countless plateaus and slowdowns along the way, and every time they happened I'd continue to tweak my diet. 

I am curious about the AB diet though...what was the name of that book?  I love Alton. 

Tremendously impressive! People that you haven't seen in a while must not even recognize you. I'm currently on a quest to lose 60. Stories like yours I find very inspirational.

I am also a firm believer that "incoming calories
Didn't mean to hijack this thread... but losing 206 lbs... a huge congratulations to you!

2010-01-06 4:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Lost 52 pounds in 3 years with the old standby - Weight Watchers. If one can get past all of the constant advertising for their products (most of which I find WAY too processed for my tastes) during meetings and on their online site, their program really is about portion control, mindful eating and getting a good mix of lean proteins, fruit and veggies. They are also really big on gradual weight loss, which was good for me since I was focused on getting fit while losing weight so it took me a lot longer than most to drop the weight.
2010-01-06 5:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston

i have lost 34 lbs since Sept 15th........from 220 to 186
not sure if that is "serious" weight, but it feels like a ton to me that i dont have to carry around anymore Smile

got off the couch and started a  sprint tri training program from BT and did a couple of sprints and had november off where i worked on my run base...logged 50 miles in november.....started training for Oly distance in Dec for a race that will be in april......

as for the diet part...im not on a diet...i have changed my eating habits.....try to eat "clean".....i use the ole' 80/20 rule....80% of the time i eat right, and the other 20% i eat what i want to....i travel alot so it is really hard to eat "clean" on the road......

between multisport training and eating somewhat right.....the weight finds a way to fall off...

Good Luck!

Jb

2010-01-06 5:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY
I did Weight Watchers too - sensible, portion control, healthy eating and exercise, and I went to WW meetings weekly (still weigh in a couple times/month and go to meetings, although on maintenance (lifetime), you only are required to weigh in 1x/month).   I lost 35 pounds from January - May 2009, so about 7 pounds or so a month.  Most places recommend not to lose more than 2 pounds/week as a healthy loss, except for the 1t couple weeks when you're changing things around, you could lose more.

Kudos to those of you who lost MAJOR weight!  I give you a lot of credit!!!
2010-01-06 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I was 280# in March and am now 205 ish.  A lot of exercise and better eating habits.  But now I have plateau on the weight loss. 

2010-01-06 8:58 PM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Subject: RE: Anyone lost any SERIOUS weight???
I have lost over 50 lbs in less than 8 months since I signed up for my first tri and joined BT from April 12th 2009 through the present. I got off the couch, joined SuperCats BT Mentor Group started cycling first on a recumbent bike and using an elliptical swimming and taking aqua aerobics, a few weeks later I was run/walking soon I got a new road bike and started riding longer and longer.

I am eating better and log my food often but I'm not on a diet and nothing is totally off limits though portion control is in order.

I hope to lose another 50 lbs by sometime in 2010. I'm working on it in many ways.
2010-01-06 11:05 PM
in reply to: #2598522

User image

Bloomington
Shaved_Wookie - 2010-01-06 3:01 PM

Tremendously impressive! People that you haven't seen in a while must not even recognize you. I'm currently on a quest to lose 60. Stories like yours I find very inspirational.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread... but losing 206 lbs... a huge congratulations to you!

Thank you so much...thats very kind.  I'm proud of myself, but also a little embarrassed I let things get so bad.  None of the excuses seem very relevant anymore, it just got way out of control.  This is my latest before/after...

Anyway, small changes, moderation, and accepting setbacks are my keys for long term success...and I'm still trying very hard to learn all three of those lessons and probably always will be!

2010-01-06 11:17 PM
in reply to: #2599506

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Subject: RE: Anyone lost any SERIOUS weight???
Good going Mike!

JustMike - 2010-01-07 12:05 AM

Shaved_Wookie - 2010-01-06 3:01 PM

Thank you so much...thats very kind.  I'm proud of myself, but also a little embarrassed I let things get so bad.  None of the excuses seem very relevant anymore, it just got way out of control.  This is my latest before/after...

Anyway, small changes, moderation, and accepting setbacks are my keys for long term success...and I'm still trying very hard to learn all three of those lessons and probably always will be!

2010-01-07 1:02 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
-115 or so here... and counting!

Honestly nearly any program will work it truly is about calories in vs. calories out. The reason "whole foods" work better is they are more filling. More "bang" for the buck to keep you full and your body happy. You can lose weight eating crap, but it will leave you starving and you won't be able to maintain that kind of will-power for long.

That being said I find it easier if I allow myself a few things here and there (such as lattes) to keep me sane because it has to be a maintainable behavior pattern. Some people do better completely cold turkey on the processed stuff, but for me that would leave me open for major screw-ups.

But yes it's possible to just "eat food" and lose weight.

Tracking/Recording your food helps most people. 1000 calorie deficit a day between food and exercise will allow one to lose 2lbs a week.

(PS - Congrats to all those who have lost and Mike you look great!)

Edited by IdealMuse 2010-01-07 1:05 AM
2010-01-07 8:53 AM

User image

Expert
England
JustMike - thats an incredible achievement!

Almost 30lbs in 4 months for me, 201 to 173lbs, by exercising a LOT more and eating less.

Firstly I just stopped all snacks and then just continued to refine my diet on 2 principles:

1. eliminate all processed foods - if it comes in a wrapper or has >1 ingredient, then leave it

2. low GI - that really means more fruit and veg in place of pasta, rice & potatoes

I have also realised that portion control is essential, as most plates are MUCH too big and most people simply consume too much at each sitting.

I dont do it 100% but keep getting closer and closer. Best of all its just a habit now and the weight loss continues. I wouldnt consider myself on a diet at all. I eat lots, just make more sensible choices each time.

Edited by Bigpikle 2010-01-07 8:56 AM

2010-01-07 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2598008

Regular
NC
SAWFISH50 - 2010-01-06 1:18 PM

I seriously don't think the South Beach Diet belongs on that list. Read it,  It is just eating right.  No low carb, no low fat,  just teaches you what good carb, good proteins & good verses bad fats are.   Weather you have read that book or not, if you are following a well ballanced diet your doing the South Beach Diet.   I use to watch Sesame Street and the Cookie Diet turned Cookie Monser Blue Dont do that one LOL!!

I would agree after the first 2 weeks. Aside from those it is a really good eating plan.
2010-01-07 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
I've gone from 268 to 208 over the past year and a half. I just started by cutting out beer and eating after 7pm. Like others have said make small positive changes and build on those successes. I just try to eat right, whole foods, fruit, veggies, lean meats. Do I cheat? Of course, but it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.
2010-01-07 10:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Ottawa
I've had the most success following principles from Eat to Live by Joel Furhman. Basically it encompasses eating a LOT of greens, other veggies, fruit, and legumes. Even if you don't follow his exact 'plan,' I think most people could benefit from eating more veggies and fruit.
2010-01-08 11:28 PM

User image

Expert
I have lost 115 over almost 2 years on Atkins.  FYI, atkins is a sensible diet and nothing like what most people think.

Atkins Is...
Breakfast: 2 Eggs
Lunch: 5 oz grilled chicken, Mixed Baby Greens w/almonds, Parm, 1 slice of Bacon and Ranch
Snack: Yogurt and 2 tbls of almond butter
Dinner: Taco Salad (3 oz Ground Beef, shredded lettuce, 1 oz shredded cheese, Jalapeno's, 2 oz salsa and 1 tbs sour cream.

Atkins is not...
Beef, Bacon, Eggs and Cheese

Dr. Atkins also wrote in his books that excercise "Non-Negotiable".  Don't believe everything you hear regarding Atkins. 

Good Luck, I hope you would consider reading Atkins New Diet Revolution and stay clear of their web site.  Since his death the company has modified the plan and started pushing more and more frankenfood crap.

2010-01-10 4:22 PM

Melbourne, Australia
65lbs (close enough to 30kg for those of us on Metric) in 4 months.

Started with Weight Watchers - learnt portion control and 'value' in food and drinks; particularly alcohol and full strength soft drinks.

Came to the immediate conclusion that I couldn't keep any wine, beer or any (non-diet) soft drinks in the house. Then came cutting down portion sizes. Smaller meals of my regular 3 meals a day (i didn't snack at my full weight) and I started snacking. Unfortunately on the bad foods.

So I shifted quickly to 5 meals a day, breakfast being protein shake based on Casein protein (long lasting protein unlike WPI which is a 'quick' protein). The rest was a palm of almonds, and no-fat yoghurt. Lunch was a sandwich and a banana.

Dinner, I cut the servings in half.

Then I started to exercise, and up the exercise. I got hungry doing all that, but I fed myself on WPI proteins immediately post exercise.

I'm now a stable 165lbs. I've been as low as 160lbs (for 6'1) when I was peaking for an endurance road event - but got sick... so I make sure I keep myself topped up now all the time with healthy whole foods when i'm exercising hard. Also throwing into the mix some Colostrum to help keep nasties at bay when i'm really pushing myself.

It isn't hard work, when I was losing the most weight I was still eating a full (albeit a small sized) pizza once a week on Sundays as a reward for the week gone. However now I don't even do that, i'm off 'fatty' and over processed foods, and just LOVE freshly prepared home made food.

Had some home made burgers patties last night made from lean mince beef (self ground from eye fillet) and lean pork mince (prepared by the butcher). Throw in some grated vege's and a wisked egg and then mix together with your hands. Roll patties in some ground up Corn Flakes and chuck on the hot plate. Serve with a mix of vege's/fruit cucumber, tomato and avocado; and a tiny amount of pasta.

2010-01-10 11:36 PM
in reply to: #2598849

User image

Expert
Salem
jenmel - 2010-01-06 3:15 PM I did Weight Watchers too - sensible, portion control, healthy eating and exercise, and I went to WW meetings weekly (still weigh in a couple times/month and go to meetings, although on maintenance (lifetime), you only are required to weigh in 1x/month).   I lost 35 pounds from January - May 2009, so about 7 pounds or so a month.  Most places recommend not to lose more than 2 pounds/week as a healthy loss, except for the 1t couple weeks when you're changing things around, you could lose more.

Kudos to those of you who lost MAJOR weight!  I give you a lot of credit!!!

I am a Weight Watchers Lifetime Member 60 lbs.  Am working on getting back down to goal weight of 190 (10 lbs. to go).  The meetings have helped me stay within range of my goal weight until I was motivated and ready to get after it.  I Weigh-in once a month and go to meetings regularly.  The weekly meeting I go to there are four people who have lost over 140 lbs. each.  That is amazing to me.
2010-01-13 12:20 PM

User image

Regular
Franklin, VA
Not only did I get fat, but I also got diabetic.  So finding a healthy eating plan as part of losing weight was imperitive.  I've had to continually refine what I eat due to diabetes, but here is a "system" that I truly believe is healthy and something one can do as a way of life.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/

I urge you to check it out.  Really, it's a big site and materials to train you to eat and exercise.  No shortcuts are involved, but they are interested in maximizing results.
2010-01-14 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Alpharetta
I'll also chime in for WW. I lost 90 pounds uisng them. The main thing I like about WW is they teach you to lose weight eating regular foods. It makes it easier to maintain your weight loss afterwards.
2010-01-14 7:26 PM

I think it depends on the individual.

Personally I went from 250 down to 185 over the course of approx 7 years.  Initially, I cut all fats, mayo, cheese as well as all soda.  I also started walking and then running.  Over the years my mileage increased, I also included hiking with a heavy pack as well as trail running.

Then last year I finally bought a road bike.  I quickly found myself doing 70 mile rides on Sundays and just loving it.  End of season I was down to 165.  I actually forced myself to overeat for a week to gain weight just to make sure I did not have an illness.  The bike is just a torch fire.  I love it.  Off season I have found Coach Troy.

By the way to Mike bro you should be so proud of yourself that is no joke. 

Peace
mf
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone loss any SERIOUS weight??? Rss Feed  

of 3