General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do you Tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-01-07 10:12 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Why do you Tri?
So, I'm new to this whole thing called triathlon.  I've got my motivation(s).  A big part of it IS that I've always enjoyed being a Clyde.  This website is awesome... I know none of you, but it sure is nice to know there are others out there like me.  So, I have a question for you Clydesdales/Athenas.

What is/was your motivation to tackle the challenge of triathlon?

2010-01-07 10:16 PM
in reply to: #2602020

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
Subject: RE: Why do you Tri?
I have always wanted to, but never had the time with work and family.  Now at 46, I will not be as busy with family, so I am going to make it happen.  I also want to run a marathon.
2010-01-07 10:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Sutherlin
Well, I did my first sprint last year, and the motivation for that was 1) at age 39, to learn to swim, 2) to try and overcome my HUGE fear of the water and having my face/head in the water.  So after completing the sprint (I still swim head up, but I am working on it, and it was an OWS in a lake) I am now motivated to do at least 3 sprints this year, and a century ride.

If that happens, (and it will!!!!) then maybe a few sprints and an Oly in 2011???  Well see....
2010-01-07 10:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Peer pressure.  A few of my best girlfriends from college have done sprint tris -- my very best friend started it two years ago, then three others did one together.  They asked me to join them, and I thought, no way.  Then I saw their after pictures.  Three of them likely always will be Athena, but they looked strong and happy.  And I thought, if THEY can do it, so can I!  It made it seem possible.  I did couch 2 5K for running, and it actually worked.  I took some swim classes.  I bought  a bike. 

Two of those gals are going to join me for my first tri; we're making a girls' weekend of it.   I can't wait; they live in other parts of the country and I don't get to see them but maybe once every other year or so. 

Also, I want to get in shape for my own health and well being, to be around for my kids.  Losing weight wouldn't hurt, either (I've lost 11 pounds so far, have plenty more to go!).  My ideal weight (165 or so) still has me in Athena territory, though!
2010-01-08 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
Why I got into tri: I was coerced. A couple of buddies from spin class wanted to do a relay, and asked me to swim for them. Here is how my first-ever triathlon swim went:

Laps 1-5: "What was I thinking? I don't belong here. I think I'm going to have a heart attack."
Laps 6-10: "I can't make it. I'm not going to finish. I'll have to get out."
Laps 11-15 "I'll probably drown. No, really, that guy is going to have to rescue me, I just know it."
Laps 16- 18 "I am never doing this again. I can't believe I got talked into this.....hey, wait, I miscounted. I'm at 20. I'm out!"
30 seconds later - "That wasn't so bad. I could probably do this whole thing by myself. I think I will."

Why I stay in it: I've lost over 40 pounds. It takes so much less effort to do things when I am in shape than when I wasn't. I wouldn't work out so much if I didn't have a goal to shoot for.
2010-01-11 10:11 AM

User image

Veteran
I started for the weight loss but it has developed into much more!
there is nothing like the feeling on race day, for me especially during the swim when you feel simply great for being able to do this

2010-01-11 12:55 PM

User image

Shortly after my birth, my mom was diagnosed as having the "limb girdle syndrome" of Muscular Dystrophy where the muscles in her shoulders and hips turned to useless fat.  Needles to say, she could not run, swim, bike or even walk.  Things go progressively worse for her and she died in 1993.  We used to watch the Kona Triathlon together most every year and she always wished she could do something like that herself.  So, aside from keeping my body healthier, I'm doing triathlons in her memory.
2010-01-11 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2607854

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Cuz triathlons are cool and I like doing things that most people either:

Can't
Are afraid to
Think it's too hard.
2010-01-11 3:59 PM

User image

Champion
PA
Because food rocks and being fat sucks.
2010-01-11 10:25 PM
in reply to: #2607854

User image

New user

All of these replies are inspiring... but this story about your Mom is simply amazing.  Very classy.  Thanks to all of you!
2010-01-11 10:31 PM
in reply to: #2608188

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Kido - 2010-01-11 5:09 PM Cuz triathlons are cool and I like doing things that most people either:

Can't
Are afraid to
Think it's too hard.

Kido man, you got the best lookin' sherpa this side of Kathmandu. And you're one fast lookin' clyde. Are they related?

Great stories, folks. Agree with 3guitars on Hoberg's Mom. I'm suspect she's mighty proud of you.

Edited by blairrob 2010-01-11 10:37 PM

2010-01-12 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
I tri because I have a wife and small children and don't want to drop dead from a heart attack.
2010-01-12 12:07 PM

User image

Regular
Well, I haven't actually finished a tri yet, but I'm training. I do it because it gives purpose to my working out. I do it because I sprained my shoulder and all of a sudden it seemed like a good idea. I do it so that I can eventually get rid of the belly everyone else is so fond of. Most of all, I do it because I'm equal parts crazy and rebellious. Telling me I can't or shouldn't do something is the surest way to get me to consider it.

P.S. I'm an endorphin chaser. I love giving them (wrestling, boxing, takedowns). I love receiving them (via tris). 
2010-01-13 7:27 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
I wanted to push myself out of my comfort zone of bike riding only. 

I am a big guy, overweight, 50 years old, kids almost gone, stress at work  and decided triathlon is a good way to get out of my comfort zone.

I had to learn how to swim ( I really like swimming now and it will be a strong event for me in 2010), my bike riding is good although I dont ride as much because I am working on the other two events, my running sucks and just when I was starting making progress I popped my right knee.  Knee surgery 30 December.

My last race of the 2009 I had to walk the run ( could not take over 7 steps running at a time) and walking that race is the my main motivation for 2010.  I can do better and  want to prove it to myself and all the naysayers whispering in my ear to stop.

As long as the doctor says I can swim-ride-run I will.

I want to do an Oly distance race this year.

Kevin
2010-01-17 11:33 AM

I turned 60 this year and always enjoy aiming for something that seems impossible.   It motivates me. I am a cyclist and my challenges are swimming and the "running."  Will have to fast walk the run due to knee issues, so I am working on my swimming.  I signed up for a stroke clinic that starts next week, but signed up for the training program online.

I do have a question.  I completed my first week of swim focused training and am really sore.  Should I wait until the soreness goes away to resume my swimming? 

Chinese proverb: Those who say it can not be done should not interrupt the person doing it

Mary
2010-01-17 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
I originally started because I was dared by my brother who does HIM and competes for his fire department. Once I started to look into it, and get into the gritty of it, I am beginning to like it. I also appreciate the added health benefits and feeling after I get off of a ride for the time being. Now I am starting slow with two sprint tri's this year and really like what I am seeing. Lastly, I want my son to grow up and see that it is important to be active at something. I play ice hockey, and am now starting to do triathlons and hope to pass this enjoyment of being active onto him. At the end of the day, I tend to be pretty gassed so after dinner I tend to sit around, but by him seeing more active maybe he will learn something (although he is fairly active for a 2 year old right now)

2010-01-17 9:22 PM
in reply to: #2618344

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
spjon25 - 2010-01-17 2:32 PMI play ice hockey, and am now starting to do triathlons and hope to pass this enjoyment of being active onto him.

Man, if you've got a 2 year old, play hockey, work full time, and train for tris, I might have an idea as to why you feel gassed after dinner. I might suggest naps at work.
  If you play hockey in a beer league as I once did, you'll find tri training really helps your play. Come the third period you'll be skating around guys like they're standing still (they usually are by then) and swimming is a great upper body w/o that helps speed up those blasts off the crossbar (always good for intimidating goalies).

mdel6663 - 2010-01-17 1:33 PM
I do have a question.  I completed my first week of swim focused training and am really sore.  Should I wait until the soreness goes away to resume my swimming? 

Mary

Mary, I would not worry about muscle soreness if it was just the achy good workout kind, but I would back off if you had shoulder pain or joint pain which sometimes swimmers get.  The former issue I would regard as notice to ease up until the pain does, the latter I would take as notice to stop until its gone, seeing the Doc if it persists.      
2010-01-18 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2619019

User image

Veteran
Trying to nap while teaching is a little tough...something about kids going crazy in the classroom ( I teach Middle School in San Pedro, CA). Also, the one thing I need to work on is getting more sleep (getting about 5-6 hours right now)

In regards to the ice hockey, I noticed that last night when we had a short bench (one sub D, and one line forwards) and I was feeling tired, but able to keep up still. I am still not sure about shots off the crossbar, I usually hit the bottom post, or lift it over the goal. Thanks for the support 
2010-01-20 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
I think the ironic thing about doing tris is that I really got into it because running was not my favourite so I got to swim and bike while training.  Now, I'm doing IM Canada in August so I've got to run a marathon as part of that event. Bizarre.  I played college football but I am having so much more fun doing triathlons than I ever did training for football.
2010-01-25 4:15 PM
in reply to: #2624413

User image

Champion
PA
Fatboy32 - 2010-01-20 1:59 PM I think the ironic thing about doing tris is that I really got into it because running was not my favourite so I got to swim and bike while training.  Now, I'm doing IM Canada in August so I've got to run a marathon as part of that event. Bizarre.  I played college football but I am having so much more fun doing triathlons than I ever did training for football.

You and I are identical in that I disliked running.  I agree that training for football was not nearly as fun as training for long distance events.  I find them a lot more relaxing than any other sport I have done.  That seems rather odd but for some reason it's the best way I can describe it. 
2010-01-25 5:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

I am one of those girls who looks like they are strong. I'm not overly huge, but have a 'look' about me (apparently) that suggests physical power. I have tried to take this as a compliment, and that was what drew me to triathlon.

I can do all of the disciplines, cycling better than the other two, and I'm certainly not a natural runner but I've made progress that I"m really proud of, so I'm determined to make the most of the fact that I CAN do stuff and get into it.

I have lots of friends who say they can't run/swim/cycle/dance/mountainbike.... because of injuries, imagined in some cases methinks and I would hate that. So, I'm demonstrating my gratitude for physical capability by using it instead of using it.

And the people I've met, through this site (well, cyber-met) and during training have been amazing and that in itself is worth the sweat. And, I love that people stop and talk to me when I look and smell like a locker room.....

2010-01-25 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

I turns out that I can't type! I meant to say "using it instead of losing it".

Blimey! Then I couldn't edit because I'd gone off to do something else and when I got back I realised I'd stuffed it up, but it was over 30 mins. Sorry people for not making sense.

2010-01-26 3:44 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Almost wore 40" waist pants.  Now I wear 35" and they are baggy.

2010-01-27 7:36 PM

User image

Regular
Clinton, TN
I wanted to try something I had never done before. I had run 10k's, rode centuries and other bike races, but never a tri. So me and a couple of friends said what the heck and started training.

After the first I got hooked and never looked back. Now it is a great way to "make me take better care of myself".
2010-01-29 2:01 AM

at the beginning of last summer, I took my shirt for something and immediately I hear, "wow daddy, you got a big belly." Started exercising and got talked into a sprint. loved it. Now I'm addicted. Did 5 sprints since June. Schedule my first Oly in April. Guess I just got tired of being fat and I feel so much better now.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do you Tri? Rss Feed  

of 2