Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-02-04 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2655371

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: High Intensity Training

bryancd - 2010-02-04 10:49 AM
Rich Strauss - 2010-02-04 1:38 PM This separation is a do not pass go idea. I'm sorry, but Sat long bike, Sunday long run, at least for IM training, is old skool. Every good IM coach I know has figured this out. If a week is still structured that way, to me it's a flag that the author likely hasn't done a 5hr long ride and 2.5-3hr long run and learned there just has to be another way
I don't agree with that at all. I think it can be beneficial to seperate long ride/run I also think it is beneficial to back them up together. Works for me. Also works for Craig Alexander. He will aleternate his long training protocol to seperate them or combimne them on consecutive days. Old school works, too.

True, lots of ways to skin the cat.

However, in my experience there is a limited amount of lessons that an age grouper living and working in the real world with real world responsibilities can learn from a pro triathlete who's:

• Something of a genetic freak after having survived the selection process that is rising through the pro ranks.
  • Job is to train and recover from that training...that's it. The family nut is dependent on the train/recover cycle and therefore the athlete's priorities are significantly different from that of an age-grouper: I need to home by 10a on Saturday, wife/husband hat by 11a, not sleeping 2hrs after my ride because its my job to recover. 

That said, I don't know your situation, your resources, background, etc. However, I've applied this separation across many, many flavors of athletes across the last five years and the feedback and results have been nearly unanimously positive.

2010-02-04 2:29 PM
in reply to: #2612785

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
jansenwins - 2010-01-13 8:48 PM
Rich Strauss - 2010-01-10 2:36 PM
This may be the best stuff I've ever read on this forum board.  Thank you.

Just saying....

X2- this is so clear! Great post(s)! Thanks to AdventureBear and Rich!
2010-02-04 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2655482

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Rich Strauss - 2010-02-04 2:26 PM
True, lots of ways to skin the cat.

However, in my experience there is a limited amount of lessons that an age grouper living and working in the real world with real world responsibilities can learn from a pro triathlete who's:

• Something of a genetic freak after having survived the selection process that is rising through the pro ranks.
  • Job is to train and recover from that training...that's it. The family nut is dependent on the train/recover cycle and therefore the athlete's priorities are significantly different from that of an age-grouper: I need to home by 10a on Saturday, wife/husband hat by 11a, not sleeping 2hrs after my ride because its my job to recover. 

That said, I don't know your situation, your resources, background, etc. However, I've applied this separation across many, many flavors of athletes across the last five years and the feedback and results have been nearly unanimously positive.

But it's the time consideration regarding work which drives a lot of AG long training into Saturday and Sunday mornings. I'm sure the results of your protocol are good, but that doesn't address the efficacy or benefits from doing a big work on the weekend. I do think if an athlete recovers well, you can have very high quality long runs the next day. It's very athlete dependent.

I find it VERY difficult to do long rides during the week, and I am fortunate enough that a long ride of 100+ miles doesn't take much more than 5 hours. For someone who rides 6+ hours for those kind of distances, you would need to be taking time of your real world job weekly during an IM build.
2010-02-04 5:54 PM
in reply to: #2655528

User image

Veteran

To be clear, I'm talking about:

• Thurs: regular long run of 1.5hrs, building to 2hrs. Maybe a total of 2 x 2:15 runs in the last 6-8wks before the race.
  • Saturday long ride: in General Prep (Weeks 1-8 of 20), 2.5-3hrs. In Race Prep (Weeks 9-17 of 20), 3.5-4.5hrs.
  • Sunday long ride: 2hrs in GenPrep, 3hrs in RacePrep

No rides longer than 4.5hrs, with the exception of 2 x Race Rehearsal sessions. This is a 100-112 mile bike followed by a 45' run. I should add there is a Wed interval bike but the volume of that session is completely up to you. All we care about is the Main Set.

Absolutely no runs longer than 2.5hrs. Period. Standing orders that I'll punch you in the nose if I find out you run longer 2.5hrs.

You can see above, the our Sunday investment is very close to the typical long-run-on-Sunday investment. However, my strong recommendation to swap the run for a bike instead.

Similarly, your typical Thurs AM investment might be 1.5hrs or so, which is identical to what we have our people doing most of the time. We just tell them "this is why we want you to do this Sun/Thurs thing. In our experience, it works, it's a better option. You can see from the schedule that I'm asking to run longer than 1:45 on Thurs AM for this handful of workouts. In our experience, it's better to get out of bed early, perhaps juggle some fatigue balls at work for the day, for the significant payoff of separating your long bike and long run." 

Again, in my experience, that schedule above works for 95% of age groupers 95% of the time. We then focus on helping people manage the margins themselves.

2010-02-04 6:06 PM
in reply to: #2655876

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Uh, ok I can see where this works in your training plan as the rides at 4.5 hours are on the short side. My coach has me do larger bike volume with multiple 100+ mile rides. I agree on the 2.5 hour run maximum or so. I get up to a 22 mile run for my one longest effort during my peak run week. With the kind of bike volume I train, I just couldn't do it during the week.

Edited by bryancd 2010-02-04 6:07 PM
2010-02-05 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2655894

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
bryancd - 2010-02-04 7:06 PM Uh, ok I can see where this works in your training plan as the rides at 4.5 hours are on the short side. My coach has me do larger bike volume with multiple 100+ mile rides. I agree on the 2.5 hour run maximum or so. I get up to a 22 mile run for my one longest effort during my peak run week. With the kind of bike volume I train, I just couldn't do it during the week.

He's not telling anyone to do long rides during the week.  Just the opposite.  You do the long run during the week and all long riding (and "medium-long") on the weekends.  I don't think I ever ride more than 90' on a weekday (unless I have vacation or something), but I will run 2 hours in the am before work.

And if you ever followed one of Rich's plans, you wouldn't find 4.5 hours on the bike to be short. 

2010-02-05 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2606120

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Rich Strauss - 2010-01-10 2:36 PM

Hi,

Good questions and good discussion. I see it, the issues are intensity, the appropriate intensity, and the appropriate combination of volume and intensity (when, how much, etc)

• Intensity: Two points:
  1. "Functional" and relative intensity: whenever possible we encourage athletes to use the functional metrics of pace on the run and power on the bike. Intensities are therefore described in relation to what you've actually proven you can do in testing or training. For example, a prescription to run 1 mile at 9:00 pace is based on your tested ability to run a 5k in xx:xx. Much less guesswork, in other words. Similar on the bike and, if you don't have power, there are still many lessons you can learn about training with heart rate from the power-training world.
  2. "Fitness is in the muscles," that is, when you move from z1 to z2 to z3, etc, what is happening is you are recruiting a larger and larger percentage of available slowtwitch fibers, then fast twitch fibers, etc. Think of it as a tug of war team, with Slowtwitch guys on the rope and Fastwitch guys on the bench. As the requirement to pull harder increases, more and more slowtwitch guys are put to work and you eventually start to pull fast twitch guys off the bench and put them on the rope. Two things:
    • You need to recruit a muscle fiber to get it to improve it's ability to pull on rope or pedal a bike. So if all you ever do is ride or run z2, for example, you're leaving a good bit of your ST squad, and all of your FT squad on the bench. They won't improve.
    • At z4, you've now got all of your ST squad on the rope, becoming better ST fibers, and all/most of your FT squad on the rope, becoming better at what they do and, some of them, even begin to take on the characteristics of ST fibers.
The net is that by exercising at z3-z4 we are getting all of the tasty, go-longer, z1-2 adaptions as well as the very tasty z3-4 go-faster adaptations.
Appropriate Intensity: should probably put all of that functional jazz down here, I suppose. Jack Daniels Running Formula and VDot offer us a very proven structure within which to prescribe appropriate intensity, given an athlete's current tested fitness. Power training offers us the same opportunity on the bike and these tools can be easily transferred to heart rate based training. In addition, I'd like to point out that, in all my years of Ironman coaching I've never seen an athlete become injured on the bike by riding too hard...unless they ran into something :-)  I firmly believe you can't start too soon to get fast on the bike by...riding very fast, a lot. The question is the proper combination of intensity and volume, see below.
Appropriate combination of volume and intensity. This is where people screw it up. We recommend that rather than thinking in terms of Base 1,2.3, Build 1,2, etc, you think of the movement of training through the year as from General Preparation to Race Specific Preparation:
General Prep: I want to get fast and prepare myself for the race specific training that happens later. I do lots of high intensity cycling and an appropriate amount of high intensity running, while keeping the volume low. Volume is kept low primarily because, as an age group athlete, I owe it to myself, my family, and my sanity to keep it as low as I can for as long as I can. So I keep the hours short but put a lot work in those hours, making myself faster and preserving SAUs (Spousal Approval Units) for when I really need them, in the Race Prep phase
Race Preparation Phase: ask yourself "what are the requirements of the race?" I focus on Ironman training so my answer is "I need to be able to lock myself in the aero position and be very comfortable, while eating and drinking at my z2 effort. Then I need to come off the bike and run, a long time, at my z2 effort." So I do more of _that_ and less get-faster training. Along the way I sort out things like race nutrition, bike fit, hydration and sodium needs, etc. In other words, the volume goes up because volume is a requirement of the race. I turn down the intensity to accommodate the volume and to ensure I'm working within race specific intensities.
The key, and this is a big one, is that by thinking in terms of General Prep and Race Prep, you separate high intensity, get-faster training from lower intensity, get-longer training. This separation is absolutely critical. I like to say "Build FAST, then put FAR under it."
Traditional pitfalls:
  • Focusing on volume as the primary training input, with intensity always kept low: see my tug of war dealio above. If all you ever do is ride 18mph, how do you ever expect to ride 21mph on race day? If you want to ride fast you have to ride fast. If you want to run fast you have to run fast. Yes, you can make yourself run faster by running more and more often, but I'd rather figure out how to keep someone healthy and make them faster with 4hrs of running per week than spend weeks build up to and sitting on 7-9hrs of running per week. It's simply more time efficient.
  • "I spend months and months putting in the time at z1-2, earning permission to do the harder work later in the season to make me faster." However, later in the season = closer to the race = requirement for volume increases = trying to do intensity + volume at the same time = sleeping under your desk at work. 
Just a few thoughts as  I successfully avoid some podcasting I need to do :-)
Rich Strauss
EnduranceNation.us

While in general I agree with your approach I also think you can't just follow a "one size fits all" model. Every athlete has different needs and each person should be trained based on that. If I have an athlete with time constraints I certainly adjust the total load to have him/her get the most ROI for the time invested via more intensity. OTOH if an athlete has 20 hrs x week available to training I will have him/her achieve a greater load via volume rather intensity. Also as you know you have to take into consideration the goals of the athlete.

In your example above it seems to me you focus only on long distance athletes and in that case yes the specific training will become long steady efforts, however if an athlete is focused on Olympic distance then focusing on more steady state training during the general phase might be a better way to prepare him/her. In addition some athletes have spend many years doing most of their load through higher intensity training (tempo, threshold, and VO2 max) and even if you increase the load via intensity to strive for bigger gains it will get to a point with diminishing returns because the athlete simple won't be able to recover on time, or might experience some overuse injury. In those situations you have to look at what the athlete needs and in those cases it might very well requires a lesser focus on intensity and more on increasing the load through volume.

Also I disagree with the fact that you separate intensity/volume depending on the phase whether general or specific. I think any plan will have a distribution of load (volume + intensity) and how much of it will just vary depending on athlete’s needs and goals. Yes if you are doing an IM the during the general phase the athlet could get most of his/her load via intensity and during the specific phase will get most of the load via volume by doing long steady state rides/runs/swims however that doesn’t mean you should limit or avoid doing any intensity at all. In fact you can add some tempo, threshold or VO2 max effort during long rides/runs/swim or do just shorter tempo/thresold/VO2 max sessions to complement your long steady state sessions and if you manage yuor load properly you shouldn't be sleeping under your desk.

On another note - I am surprised you never seen an athlete get injured by increasing training load via intensity in cycling. I know at least two athletes who have been battling knee issues even though they have been doing limited running and biking no more than 5-6 hrs per week on the computrainer. Their knee issues appear to be related to an increase in fitness (higher 60CP) though the knees are not catching up as fast with the new fitness.

PS. I am glad you guys finally moved away from using the term “reverse” periodization...

2010-02-05 1:45 PM
in reply to: #2605042

User image

Veteran

Jorge,

Thanks for the dialogue. I think you've misunderstood me and that we actually agree on several points. Also, I am 100% a long course (HIM and full IM) coach. Endurance Nation is a long course tri team.  While our athletes do race, and do very well, at sprint and Oly races, they do them in route to A races at the HIM and IM distance. So, yes, long course triathlon is the perspective from which I approach all training cuz that's my gig and the gig of my team

Just a quick pass at this:

I never said we switch from high intensity to steady state at the transition from General to Race Prep. In fact, interval training, on both the bike and run, is a staple of our training weeks the entire season. For example, our longest regular, non-race rehearsal ride of 4.5hrs is probably the hardest 4.5hr ride these folks will every do. Contains a good bit of FTP/z4 work, as well as Z3 and Z2 work. For our athletes, their race rehearsals and race day 112 are by far the easiest rides they'll see with us. Long runs are similar but the intensity is dialed down due to risk of injury and overtraining.

Nope, never seen an athlete be injured (legit injured, not talking over-reaching, etc) on the bike due to intensity. At least not that I can recall. In my experience, poor bike fits, poor biomechanics on the bike, stoopid gearing choices on crazy hill rides, or crashing into stuff are the causes of cycling injuries.

As you know, the go-to source for Ironman athletes is probably the TTB, with it's Base 1, 2, 3, Build 1, 3 periodization schedule. An entire host of definitions and perspectives are products of this tool: base building, aerobic vs anaerobic fitness, the idea of fitness components like Speed, Force, ME, Endurance, Power, etc. Athletes using the TTB to guide their training do lots of volume in the base periods to earn the right to make themselves faster in Build...but for IM athletes this is exactly the time when volumes needs to increase to meet the demands of the race. So, in my experience, volume-cuz-I'm-racing-IM + speed-cuz-this-book-sez-that's-what-Build-is = implosion. It's this athlete that I was using as an example. Sounds like you've learned differently as have I. The product of my learning process is this General ---> Race Prep progression. BTW, I haven't heard, written, or spoken Reverse Periodization in about 3-4 years but thanks for the compliment :-)

One size fits all, 20hrs, individual goals
While I suspect our coaching methods are quite similar, our coaching-delivery-model, and price points, are quite different. I occupy a different price point and no longer coach athletes 1:1. I coach a team and that requires different tools and different methods of delivering service. I've found the move from 1:1 to Team to be very fulfilling, both personally and professionally. Just fits me better.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » High Intensity Training Rss Feed  

of 2