General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am totally lost in my training... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-13 9:11 PM

Subject: I am totally lost in my training...
sorry for the downer thread, but I'm not really sure what to do.  Here's my quick story.  I'm 6', 192lbs, 17% body fat.   3 months ago I got tired of looking in the mirror to see a small gut, and no muscle definition anywhere.  so i started hitting the gym heavy.  here was my routine, 3 lift days, 3 cardio days, 1 rest day

Monday - Chest/Triceps/Shoulders
Tuesday - Cardio (either run on treadmill or spin class
Wednesday - Biceps/Back
Thursday - Cardio (either run on treadmill or spin class)
Friday - Legs/Abs
Saturday Cardio (spin class)

recently, I signed up for the Chicago triathlon, primarily so I had something to focus on as I was training.  always like having some sort of goal.

I'd like to continue lifting 2-3 times a week, to continue getting nice muscle definition, and burning fat.  but how do I do this AND incorporate a s/b/r routine?  I've searched high and low and my eyeballs are about to bleed from all I've read.  yet nowhere is there a program selection that accomplishes what I need....I know the two can be percieved as contradictory, but am I the only one in the world that wants to complete a tri, and have nice pecs and a six pack?!?!?!

seems as though you are either in the "skinny triathlete" category, or the "too heavy to run" bodybuilder category.  anyroom in the middle?  my goals seem pretty reasonable:

1) lose fat
2) gain lean muscle/definition
3) build endurance

all 3 are vital to both the triathlon and weight training, yet plans don't seem to target all 3?

sorry again for the lame thread, but Im at a loss here.  just trying to get my mind on a plan that will work.

and I just got the "Triathletes Training Bible"  which i know will help with this, but won't be able to finish the book quick enough to not look at other resources.

thanks in advance to anyone that can help.  this site has been a tremendous resource (i.e. I'm addicted!) and its been fun to learn about all this stuff! 

2010-01-13 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2612934

Subject: RE: I am totally lost in my training...
one last thing too add. time and money are really not of concern. I have a flexible work schedule, and not that I have a money tree, but I don't really cap what I can spend towards health. what else is money good for if you aren't alive/healthy enough to spend it?so can do swim lessons in the morning.bike in the eveningrun during lunchlift weights before or aftergetting a bike this week with a trainercan buy a treadmill for the housepoint is, all i need is a plan, and im set. thanks again to anyone able to help
2010-01-13 9:44 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
I have always been rather slim (I'm 6' and weigh in at 160 for my race weight), BUT due to a shoulder surgery a little over a year ago I had to do quite a bit of rehab.  So I have slowly gotten back into r/b 3x per week in the mornings, and I do a small upper body routine 3 nights a week.  Just some push ups and shoulder strengthening.  A few abs thrown in there as well.  

If you can get your hands on some free weights you can save some time and lift at home easily, and may I suggest the core workouts in the core strengthening section on BT they are AWESOME.  IMO this would give you the definition you're looking for, while the cardio will help trim down the fat.  so that would mean (just a suggestion):

M:run in AM lift PM
T:bike in AM swim in PM
W:Run in AM lift PM
R:Bike in AM
F:Run in AM Lift pm
S:Swim/bike brick

It has worked WONDERS for me.  I'm not a coach and I'm simply speaking from my experience so take it with a grain of salt.  Best of luck in your training!  Don't forget to have fun!
2010-01-13 9:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coldstream ,BC
My thoughts... let it be known that I am by no means an expert triathlete, but I have spent more than my fair share of time in the gym strength training.

I would join BT as a silver member and download a plan that will get you to where you want to be as far as triathlon goes. Then rearrange some of the plan to do strength every three days. Do full body workouts using compound exercises that work more than one body part at a time eg. pull-ups, dumbell press, suitcase dead lifts, clean and jerk...

The full body workout will give you more time for SBR and give you lots of recovery time between lifting sessions.
2010-01-13 10:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
not a trainer or anything like that, just giving you my thoughts. i continue to lift while I'm training for tris. My plan looks like this:

monday - weights - chest/tris/bis
tuesday - am run/pm swim, weights - back/shoulders
wednesday - bike
thursday - am run/pm swim, weights - more of a circuit training lift
friday - bike
saturday - long run
sunday - long bike

the last four days of the week change at times, where thursday is a run only day and friday becomes an am-bike/pm swim day and I may swap the weekend workouts depending on my schedule.

but just work in weights when you feel good. I tried weights first then swimming, but it messed me up and my form went to heck! I also tried legs, but after a 1.5 months, I couldn't ever get my legs feeling fresh, so I stopped lifting legs.

hope that helps you. it's all about getting your schedule to work with your training and how you feel.

Edited by barelfly 2010-01-13 10:19 PM
2010-01-13 10:17 PM
in reply to: #2613010

wide awake - 2010-01-13 9:59 PM My thoughts... let it be known that I am by no means an expert triathlete, but I have spent more than my fair share of time in the gym strength training.

I would join BT as a silver member and download a plan that will get you to where you want to be as far as triathlon goes. Then rearrange some of the plan to do strength every three days. Do full body workouts using compound exercises that work more than one body part at a time eg. pull-ups, dumbell press, suitcase dead lifts, clean and jerk...

The full body workout will give you more time for SBR and give you lots of recovery time between lifting sessions.

so work the whole body in every lift session, twice a week?  will that really allow for visible muscle definition?  thanks for the help!

2010-01-13 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.

MOD220 - 2010-01-13 7:11 PM my goals seem pretty reasonable:

1) lose fat
2) gain lean muscle/definition
3) build endurance

Keep in mind that you get #2 (definition) by #1 (lose fat). Gaining muscle is not the same as getting definition.

FWIW, I suggest more weight training in the off-season then cut way back (once or no times per week) in-season. I'm sure there are those who would disagree but it's my two cents.

2010-01-14 12:05 AM

User image

Expert
There is no reason why you can't:

1. Become more muscular
2. Become a better triathlete
3. Become leaner at the same time

Obviously, you would have to merge the two training regimes so there is not excessive overlaps (e.g., squats on a hard bike day are probably overkill as are shoulder exercises on swim days, etc.)

For most people, the limiting factors are energy and time. If I wasn't working, I would work out at the gym 5 days / week and do SBR training 2 -3 hours / day. Because my time and energy are not unlimited, I have to compromise my triathlete skills, fitness, and strength.
2010-01-14 12:14 AM
in reply to: #2613023

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coldstream ,BC
Have to try replying again later... this one took up the whole page before I edited it. Sorry

Edited by wide awake 2010-01-14 12:16 AM
2010-01-14 6:00 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I have no real advice to offer, but you might try posting your question over in BT's Strength Training forum here. Lots of folks experieced in combining strength training & tri over there....
2010-01-14 6:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am a woman, who like you wants it all so i do the 300 plan, you can find this on you tube, i am presently able to do 100 push ups as well as all the other parts of this program, in fact yesterday at the gym i was asked if i was a triathlete, the guy said he just watched a program about triathletes and said i fit the description, fit, muscular and i had to laugh as he said we work hard in the gym and head to the pool, i was flattered. Good luck there are many ways to train you'll find something that works for you.

2010-01-14 7:08 AM

User image

Runner

Run a lot.

Swim a lot.

Bike a lot.

You do it right, you will gain strength, and endurance, and lose some weight.

Depends on what your actual specific goals are.

2010-01-14 8:14 AM

Master
I've found most plans don't incorporate a whole lot of strength simply due to time concerns, it's hard to fit it all in depending on the distance you're training for. Also, most plans are designed to be customized to what you're looking for specifically.

One thing is for sure though, IMHO, if you want to do a tri or tris then your primary focus must be swim, bike, and run then if you've got more time you can work in some lifting. As such, I would find a plan you like and integrate your lifting into that plan (without taking away any SBR). You can have it all, if you have the time.
2010-01-14 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, Il (Chicagoland)
Seems like an awful lot of strength training in that program.  One thing to remember, that running will still firm up your legs, swimming will strengthen your shoulders, back and core, and biking will strengthen your legs.  I recommend doing more run,bike,swim with an odd day or so of circuit strength training.  
Because running is such a high impact activity, you really need to spend time slowly building that up, otherwise you will end up injured, so make sure you are very consistently and slowly building your run lengths (no more than a 10% increase in mileage a week).  Swimming also takes a good amount of time to get the right technique, so this is an area where regular practice really pays off. Not to downplay biking, but of the three sports, it takes the least to be able to complete it.
Remember the best training is actually doing the sports - while strength training absolutely does help, there is no pure strength portion of triathlon.  I say spend more time on swim, bike, run and just fit in strength when you can.
Also (while we all do this to a degree or so), don't get too wrapped up in gear and equipment.  Here is a good video that explains training vs equipment http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/5749137/ 
2010-01-14 5:59 PM

Sierra Vista, Arizona

I started out as a bodybuilder long before I was a triathlete.  I am 5'8" and currently 165 lbs at probably 8% body fat.  Before tri's I was up to 185lbs and a whole lot stronger than I am today.  I used to do 1 body part a day at the gym and my schedule went something like this.

4 sets of 3 to 4 different exercises with a rep range of 10, 10, 8, 6 adding more weight each set

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Back/Shoulders
Wednesday - Legs
Thursday - Arms
Friday - Abs/ little cardio

Now since I have been doing tris since 2008, my schedule has changed, but I still lift 3 days a week.  I have lost some strength and a little size, but that was to be expected.  My new schedule is below.

I still do 4 sets of 3 to 4 different exercises with a rep range of 10, 10, 8, 6 adding more weight each set.

Monday - AM - Chest/Tri's - Run @ lunch
Tuesday - Bike @ lunch
Wednesday - AM - Legs/Abs - Swim @ lunch
Thursday - Run @ lunch
Friday - AM - Back/Bi's/Shoulders - Bike @ lunch
Saturday or Sunday - Swim

I do not go to the gym on Tuesday and Thursday mornings so my wife can go swimming.  She runs after work 2 days a week and bikes 1 day after work and the one day on the weekend.  This schedule works for us and we have a 3 year old and 10 month old.  I have only done sprint tris, but I have an Olympic distance tri coming up in March.  To me, I still feel like a bodybuilder when I go to races seeing a lot of the taller/thinner athletes.  I hope this helps with your scheduling.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am totally lost in my training... Rss Feed