Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2010-01-28 2:42 PM
in reply to: #2640661

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: RE: Tebow pro-life Superbowl ad

run4yrlif -
So there's that. But my friend Hollis put it pretty well. If Dobson wants to save the lives of kids, he could send the $2.8 million over to Haiti and actually accomplish his mission.

So are you saying that you and your friend Hollis acknowledge that Dobson's intention here is to save the lives of children, and that you simply disagree about the best way to do it?

2010-01-28 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2640135

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
ADollar79 - 2010-01-28 10:49 AM

bradword - 2010-01-28 12:40 PM
ADollar79 - 2010-01-28 10:26 AM
wabash - 2010-01-28 12:23 PM we shouldnt even allow abortion to be a choice in the first place.
my taxes and insurance shouldnt pay for that procedure. 
it's just as optional as getting lasik, or a face lift/tummy tuck, lipo suction, etc. and you pay it yourself.

then cancel your insurance and add a company that doesn't provide it.  I think you would be SHOCKED if you knew how many insurance companies file a d&c as a standard medical procedure. 
So are you saying a D&C is not a normal procedure? My wife had one a few months ago. The hardest thing she has done in her life. We were preg. and the baby was found to have no heart beat. After 2 weeks of waiting to see if she would lose the baby by herself, her body still hadn't acted. She had to have a d&c as a regular procedure. The baby had already passed, so to say that an insurance company shouldn't cover ANY d&c is silly. (this from a very pro-life person).

reading comprehension people. 

I didn't say that at all.  I said it IS a standard medical procedure offered by most insurance plans for various reasons, yours included.  If the poster believes his insurance shouldn't cover that, then HE should change insurances and find one that doesn't allow it.  Seems like a simple concept.  Not sure where the confusion is. 

I was asking a question (hence the ?) and then gave my example of something. I was asking for clarification, but thanks for the snarky remark.
2010-01-28 3:22 PM
in reply to: #2640706

User image

Giver
dontracy - 2010-01-28 3:42 PM

run4yrlif -
So there's that. But my friend Hollis put it pretty well. If Dobson wants to save the lives of kids, he could send the $2.8 million over to Haiti and actually accomplish his mission.

So are you saying that you and your friend Hollis acknowledge that Dobson's intention here is to save the lives of children, and that you simply disagree about the best way to do it?

I'm saying that giving a bunch of money to Haiti would have an actual positive effect, instead of the questionable, esoteric effect spending money on 30 seconds of TV air time would have.
2010-01-28 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2639451

User image

Giver
My view of FotF just went way up:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2009-11-03-dobson-focus-family_N.htm

Glad to see they are rid of that misogynistic, child-abuse advocate.

2010-01-28 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2640838

User image

run4yrlif -
I'm saying that giving a bunch of money to Haiti would have an actual positive effect, instead of the questionable, esoteric effect spending money on 30 seconds of TV air time would have.

I just want to understand what you are saying.

Is your concern here about the most prudent way to spend $2.5million to help save children?  Are you acknowledging that FOTF is trying to save children, and just disagree that running a 30 second ad is a prudential use of the money toward that end?

Edited by dontracy 2010-01-28 3:34 PM
2010-01-28 3:43 PM
in reply to: #2640871

User image

Giver
dontracy - 2010-01-28 4:34 PM

run4yrlif -

I just want to understand what you are saying.

Is your concern here about the most prudent way to spend $2.5million to help save children?  Are you acknowledging that FOTF is trying to save children, and just disagree that running a 30 second ad is a prudential use of the money toward that end?

I guess that's what they're trying to do. I mean, it could just be pot stirring, but I think their heads are in the right place on the issue. So yeah, I think that the money would be put to better use down there.

2010-01-28 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2640315

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

gearboy - 2010-01-28 12:45 PM
ADollar79 - 2010-01-28 11:18 AM I am most bothered by CBS suddenly reversing its anti-advocacy policy and using this issue to demonstrate it.  I do have to wonder if they would grant the same rights to an pro-choice advocacy group.  I tend to think not. 

From the discussion I heard on NPR this morning, I suspect the #1 reason CBS is allowing it is financial. Apparently several big advertisers are not planning to advertise, and the prices have dropped for the ad time overall. I think if there was a prochoice ad that did not use the word "abortion" that ponied up $2.5 million, they could get on the air as well. I see it less as CBS really advocating a position about abortion, and more as a company trying to make money (which is it's own controversy...)

I have to agree - it is not up to CBS to censor based upon content as long as the add conforms to good decorum.  Aren't all ads advocating a change in behavior or belief?

2010-01-28 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2640661

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
run4yrlif - 2010-01-28 3:32 PM

Agreed - I was thinking of the counter argument of let's see if Planned Parenthood could pony up the money and see what CBS would decide, but instead PP is doing worthwile work with it.  I am pro-life, but PP does great work providing affordable and confidential gyno care, sex ed, and birth control to anyone.
2010-01-28 4:09 PM

User image

Don's trying to get you to say that FotF is saving children, therefore a fetus is a child, therefore if you support the right to choose you support the right to kill a child.

Or something like that. He's sneaky that way
2010-01-28 4:12 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
I don't care about the ad!  It won't change one persons opinion.
2010-01-28 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2640846

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
run4yrlif - 2010-01-28 1:26 PM My view of FotF just went way up:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2009-11-03-dobson-focus-family_N.htm

Glad to see they are rid of that misogynistic, child-abuse advocate.

Did they cite procreative differences?

2010-01-28 5:26 PM
in reply to: #2640162

User image

Master
Portland, ME
coredump - 2010-01-28 11:55 AM

Pro-choice spans a range of actions.

First is access to contraceptives ( pregnancy prevention ).

Second would be things like the "morning-after" pill, which prevent implantation.

Third would be abortion ( which covers a range of time, typically broken in the 3 'trimesters' ).

To speak of all of the above as being "pro killing babies", is quite a leap of the imagination to me.

Is a third-trimester fetus a 'baby'?  I think so.  Certainly viable.

Is a second-trimester?  Arguable, as advances in medicine increase viability of pre-mature babies.

Is first-trimester? 

Is first week?  First day?  First hour post-conception?

I know where you stand Don, as you draw the line prior to even contraceptive use.

But to cast everyone who calls themselves "pro-choice" as "pro killing babies" smacks of inflammatory rhetoric and does nothing to engage in actual conversation or rational debate.

Let me ask this then. Is the pro-choice movement the choice to terminate a pregnancy (ie evict the baby from the womb)? Or is it the choice to kill the baby even after eviction?

I've always wondered that. I mean medical science is advancing to such a degree that babies are born earlier and earlier and surviving. If the doctor evicts the baby from the womb as a libertarian would argue is a womans choice to do so, would pro-choice advocates still approve the choice to kill the evicted child?

Does pro-choice go beyond terminating a pregnancy which happens everyday when a once pregnant woman gives birth?

Edited by Jackemy 2010-01-28 5:36 PM
2010-01-28 5:31 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
If a pro-choice group wants to run an ad they have the same opportunity and they should go right ahead.  If they chose not to they need to shut the hell up.
2010-01-28 5:33 PM

User image

Master
Portland, ME
I liked the ad that NBC refused to run last year. I haven't seen the Tebow ad so I can't compare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9GVwZ9N650
2010-01-28 6:46 PM
in reply to: #2640963

User image

ChrisM -  Don's trying to get you to say that FotF is saving children, therefore a fetus is a child, therefore if you support the right to choose you support the right to kill a child. Or something like that. He's sneaky that way

Well that's the ballpark, although I'm not trying to trick anybody.  Just seemed like he made a mercurial statement. 

Anyway, Jim seems to agree that FOTF's intentions are good, even if he doesn't agree with what they are doing.

2010-01-28 7:36 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
One set of rules you can always count on to follow and you will be fine, it's in a book, maybe some of you have heard of it, The Bible, amazing stuff.  I beleive the topic of discussion is covered in this text.  Ten Comandments.  I think the damnest thing would be to get to Heaven and God introduce you to your aborted child, probably an awkard moment.  IMHO

I wasn't a big Tebow fan, but I am now.  And I love controversial discussions.

H

2010-01-28 7:58 PM
in reply to: #2641246

User image

dontracy - 2010-01-28 4:46 PM

ChrisM -  Don's trying to get you to say that FotF is saving children, therefore a fetus is a child, therefore if you support the right to choose you support the right to kill a child. Or something like that. He's sneaky that way

Well that's the ballpark, although I'm not trying to trick anybody.  Just seemed like he made a mercurial statement. 

Anyway, Jim seems to agree that FOTF's intentions are good, even if he doesn't agree with what they are doing.

I know. Didn't mean to ascribe ulterior motives: )
2010-01-28 7:58 PM
in reply to: #2641333

New user

hrliles - 2010-01-28 7:36 PM One set of rules you can always count on to follow and you will be fine, it's in a book, maybe some of you have heard of it, The Bible, amazing stuff.  I beleive the topic of discussion is covered in this text.  Ten Comandments.  I think the damnest thing would be to get to Heaven and God introduce you to your aborted child, probably an awkard moment.  IMHO

I wasn't a big Tebow fan, but I am now.  And I love controversial discussions.

H

Amen!  I am now also a fan of Tebow.  I just met a mother and her son last week he was 16 one of the sharpest kids I have ever met.  The mother decided the day of her appointment for her abortion not to go through with it.  Long story summed up she is glad for the choice she made.
2010-01-28 9:23 PM
in reply to: #2641361

User image

Well I was doing some reading tonight, and it turns out that apparently the Tebow pregnancy was a case of placental abruption.

This sort of changes the conversation for me a bit.

I'm glad that his mother carried him to term.  It was a heroic act.

However, if she had decided to address her risk of hemorrhaging by aborting him, it may in fact have not been a direct abortion, but rather one that would fall under the principle of double effect; her principal intention would have been to save her life, the unintended effect would have been his death.   In that case, it would be a moral act according to the standard that I subscribe to.

Ending an ectopic pregancy is a classic and clear case of when the principle of double effect comes into play.  The principle effect is to protect the mother's life, not to end her child's life, and thus is not a direct abortion.

I'm not familiar with what is involved in placental abruptions.  Any insight by medical folks here is much appreciated.  I'm not completely clear that the principle of double effect would have come into play, but it's a possibility.

Now one of my concerns is that the ad may add to some of the confusion and misunderstand about what at least the Catholic Church's teaching is on the issue.  The Church's teaching is based in both faith and reason.  My concern is that this particular case may muddy the understanding of the reasoned part of it.  Guess we'll see.

Edited by dontracy 2010-01-28 9:25 PM
2010-01-28 10:01 PM
in reply to: #2640053

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
wabash - 2010-01-28 12:23 PM

we shouldnt even allow abortion to be a choice in the first place.
it's just as optional as getting lasik, or a face lift/tummy tuck, lipo suction, etc. and you pay it yourself.

Are you willing to raise the child? If not, then it is not an optional procedure.

Do I think that a woman should have one, no, she should have used protection and not gotten pregnant in the first place. However, I am not willing to raise her child so I can not tell her she should not have one (go look for the thread on the woman who wants an absurd # of children and was starving her newborn) and we certainly don't need children brought into homes where they will not be cared for.

AND then we have extenuating circumstances. Friend of ours was raped in college, she became pregnant (not her choice on no protection) you willing to tell that woman she needs to bear that child and be reminded every single day of the experience?
2010-01-28 11:03 PM
in reply to: #2641538

User image

Master
Portland, ME
wwlani - 2010-01-28 10:01 PM
wabash - 2010-01-28 12:23 PM we shouldnt even allow abortion to be a choice in the first place.
Are you willing to raise the child? If not, then it is not an optional procedure. Do I think that a woman should have one, no, she should have used protection and not gotten pregnant in the first place. However, I am not willing to raise her child so I can not tell her she should not have one (go look for the thread on the woman who wants an absurd # of children and was starving her newborn) and we certainly don't need children brought into homes where they will not be cared for. AND then we have extenuating circumstances. Friend of ours was raped in college, she became pregnant (not her choice on no protection) you willing to tell that woman she needs to bear that child and be reminded every single day of the experience?

What did the child do to deserve death?

Not to make light of a horrible event, just wondering the about the thought process behind your logic.

2010-01-28 11:26 PM

User image

Expert
Off topic again interesting discussion to read so i want to pose another question.

At what pregnancy point if a woman is assaulted and the baby is lost would/should it be considered murder? I am pro-choice but I have a harder time answering this one. Is the answer solely up to the beliefs of the mother. Does a cop look at her and go oh it was only 1st trimester we can get him for assault charges on you only?
2010-01-29 5:39 AM
in reply to: #2641246

User image

Giver
dontracy - 2010-01-28 7:46 PM

That's what I'm saying.  They are apparently trying to save children, they just define "children" differently than I do. 
2010-01-29 6:49 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

While I appreciate Tim Tebow's principles, they are just that.  His.  And while I wouldn't ever want my wife to have an abortion, those are my beliefs.  Everyone has the right to make that choice for themselves, and our beliefs can not make the choice for someone else.

As for the quote above that it is just as elective a surgery as lasiks, I disagree.  It is more like Greg Lemond being shot by a shotgun.  The lead pellets may or may not have an adverse affect on his life.  If they do, insurance should pay for it.  If a woman (as mentioned above) is raped and gets pregnant, then that will affect her emotionally and physically the rest of her life.  In that case an abortion may not be elective or optional.

2010-01-29 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2641759

User image

Expert
PA
velocomp - 2010-01-29 7:49 AM
As for the quote above that it is just as elective a surgery as lasiks, I disagree.  It is more like Greg Lemond being shot by a shotgun.  The lead pellets may or may not have an adverse affect on his life.  If they do, insurance should pay for it. 

if Greg Lemond doesnt want to get shot, he shouldnt play with a loaded gun and should take all necessary precautions. 
if a woman doesnt want to get pregnant, she shouldnt play with a loaded gun either and should take all necessary precautions.
abortion as birth control IS as elective as plastic surgery.  there's no NEED for an abortion or plastic surgery.  they're WANTs. 
are you also saying that a child born out of a rape is incapable of, and has no chance of ever being loved by anyone?  could never grow up to be a loving husband/father/wife/mother?  is not precious in Gods sight?  that there's no way the woman who was raped could ever possibly love that child? even as traumatic as the situation is, that nothing good could possibly come out of it?  is it anyones decision to make to deem someone elses life is worthtless even before they've been born? 
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tebow pro-life Superbowl ad Rss Feed  

of 7