General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How Do You Stop (Still Haven't Raced Yet) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-14 10:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
Subject: How Do You Stop (Still Haven't Raced Yet)
OK...so if you guys tell me it is "hopeless", I will stop trying to understand.

I recently decided to give this whole Tri thing a shot.  I mean a REAL shot...no "Half A$$ed" stuff.  I decided if I was going to do thing, I was gonna immerse myself in it.

In the last month, I have bought a Cervelo P2, Kurt Kinetic Rock N Roll Trainer, Bowflex Treadmill, numerous DVDs, running shoes, some nice, sexy stretchy outifts(ha) as well as a crapload of other things.

Don't get me wrong...I am way in to this, but if this is how it is always gonna be...let me know now, so I can start cashin in the kids college fund(not really), but does the addiction ever stop?

I like it so far

2010-02-14 11:02 PM
in reply to: #2673031

Master
portland, or
Subject: RE: How Do You Stop (Still Haven't Raced Yet)
"...but does the addiction ever stop?"

No.

Full Disclosure: I make my living selling cervelos, trainers, running shoes, sexy stretchy shiny things, as well as a crapload of other things.

Seriously, you've invested in some items that should last you a while, and more then what was probably necessary. In reality there's very little we need, but a lot that we want. If your budget allows, the list of what we want is endless.

Tubes, tires, shoes, clothes all fall into things you need and/or need to replace at some point.

Race wheels, better training wheels, lighter components, power meters, etc. all fall into the what we want category.

scott
2010-02-14 11:04 PM

User image

Regular
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
pitbullzz - 2010-02-14 8:52 PM OK...so if you guys tell me it is "hopeless", I will stop trying to understand.

I recently decided to give this whole Tri thing a shot.  I mean a REAL shot...no "Half A$$ed" stuff.  I decided if I was going to do thing, I was gonna immerse myself in it.

In the last month, I have bought a Cervelo P2, Kurt Kinetic Rock N Roll Trainer, Bowflex Treadmill, numerous DVDs, running shoes, some nice, sexy stretchy outifts(ha) as well as a crapload of other things.

Don't get me wrong...I am way in to this, but if this is how it is always gonna be...let me know now, so I can start cashin in the kids college fund(not really), but does the addiction ever stop?

I like it so far

I did a century yesterday (Tour De Palm Springs) and over heard a guy say towards the end of the ride "I'd rather be shopping for a new bike".  Pretty funny, I dig training and long rides for the most part but gear shoppin is the best part. 
2010-02-14 11:09 PM
in reply to: #2673034

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
Ha...thati s what I tell her...

"Babe...this stuff is gonna last me a LONG time.  I just gotta get what I NEED to get started"...HA (Until something NEW AND IMPROVED COMES OUT)

She's no dummy.  I entice her with buyign her a bike to drive the twins around in, and she gets to sit at home and get her Masters while taking care of the kiddos, so for the most part she is cool.

yaqui - 2010-02-14 11:02 PM "...but does the addiction ever stop?" No. Full Disclosure: I make my living selling cervelos, trainers, running shoes, sexy stretchy shiny things, as well as a crapload of other things. Seriously, you've invested in some items that should last you a while, and more then what was probably necessary. In reality there's very little we need, but a lot that we want. If your budget allows, the list of what we want is endless. Tubes, tires, shoes, clothes all fall into things you need and/or need to replace at some point. Race wheels, better training wheels, lighter components, power meters, etc. all fall into the what we want category. scott
2010-02-14 11:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
oh yeah....buying the stuff is WAY more fun
2010-02-14 11:11 PM
in reply to: #2673035

Master
portland, or
caltexsteel - 2010-02-14 8:04 PM

pitbullzz - 2010-02-14 8:52 PM OK...so if you guys tell me it is "hopeless", I will stop trying to understand.

I like it so far

I did a century yesterday (Tour De Palm Springs) and over heard a guy say towards the end of the ride "I'd rather be shopping for a new bike".  Pretty funny, I dig training and long rides for the most part but gear shoppin is the best part. 

I did the Tour de Palm Springs as well. There was a lot of bling out there.

scott

2010-02-14 11:15 PM
in reply to: #2673034

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
Where were you earlier???

I did luck out and live right next to Competitive Cyclist and they gave me a military discount on my bike...

I need some XXL Cervelo socks man...PM me if you can hook me up...I'm on a waiting list on some other web-site

yaqui - 2010-02-14 11:02 PM "...but does the addiction ever stop?" No. Full Disclosure: I make my living selling cervelos, trainers, running shoes, sexy stretchy shiny things, as well as a crapload of other things. Seriously, you've invested in some items that should last you a while, and more then what was probably necessary. In reality there's very little we need, but a lot that we want. If your budget allows, the list of what we want is endless. Tubes, tires, shoes, clothes all fall into things you need and/or need to replace at some point. Race wheels, better training wheels, lighter components, power meters, etc. all fall into the what we want category. scott
2010-02-14 11:24 PM
in reply to: #2673042

User image

Regular
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
yaqui - 2010-02-14 9:11 PM
caltexsteel - 2010-02-14 8:04 PM

I like it so far

I did the Tour de Palm Springs as well. There was a lot of bling out there. scott

No kiddin!  Did you see the pile up around mile 80ish?  Looked like a bike shop threw up. One dude was out cold and a few girls limpin around.  We didn't stop because there were already about 30+ people helpin out.  Saw the ambulance headed that way about 10-15 minutes after we passed. 
2010-02-14 11:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
That's another thing..this whole Biking Thing

My Daughter's Neurologist almost died on the "Big Dam Bridge 100" bike race a few months before he did her shunt surgery.  The article(and he) said he would have without a helmet.

Good thing he didn't.  He's the best in the State..so glad we didn't have to have the 2nd best...ha
2010-02-15 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2673056

Veteran
No, unfortunately it never stops! Next to my house, it is my biggest "money pit", and that is saying something since I have a teenage daughter diva.Smile
2010-02-15 10:00 AM

User image

, Arizona
Hmm... I guess I'm what you'd call a "tri-minimalist" then. I think (other peoples) gear is cool to oogle over, but there are things I'd much rather do with that $$. I spent about $250 getting equipment for my first tri (that includes my bike!), I was more focused on training and using what I've already got, charting my progress was the fun part for me. It does seem like a lot of triathletes are gear nuts though. =)

2010-02-15 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

I am reading this thinking.

I had a nice road bike then added aero bars.  Bought a tri shirt & pants, number belt & running shoes.   So far I have gotten my other stuff from wish lists like for Christmas presents.   -Trainer, aerobottle, second tri-top

I am not even going to mention getting a new bike until I hit the lottery.

Kevin
2010-02-15 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
pitbullzz - 2010-02-14 10:52 PM OK...so if you guys tell me it is "hopeless", I will stop trying to understand.

I like it so far

Dude, it will never stop!  I seriously think I was drawn to Triathlon, as opposed to just running or biking, because of the coolness of the gear.  I've always liked gadgets and technology and  am pretty sure a lot of us are like this .... the Marketeers of the business world would call us the "trailblazers" when it comes to new product introduction.
2010-02-15 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2673716

User image

Sensei
Sin City
when you find out, pass it on.

Last  year was my most exspensive year to date...
2010-02-15 12:29 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Can't stop, but I have slowed down a lot, due to having a family.

2010-02-15 12:36 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
pitbullzz - 2010-02-14 10:52 PM OK...so if you guys tell me it is "hopeless", I will stop trying to understand.

I like it so far

It's when the kids are in college that reality sets in.  Not much (if any) "fun" money sitting around anymore at my house.
So I say,  spend the college fund now and make the kids take out loans!

2010-02-15 12:45 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
You buy a lot of stuff the first year.  This year I will buy 3-4 pair of shoes, 3-4 tires, Gels/powders.... and that is about it.  Next year will likely be the same, but I might have to replace a pair of biking/tri shorts.  Oh and a pair of swim goggles per year. 
2010-02-15 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
pitbullzz - 2010-02-14 11:52 PM OK...so if you guys tell me it is "hopeless", I will stop trying to understand.

I like it so far

You stop by getting on the bike, treadmill and in the swim suit and actually using it for what it was meant for.  Training. 
Fun to buy stuff but what happens is we lean to hard on the equipment to make us fast and don't work hard enoughto make us fast. 
2010-02-15 2:13 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Stop whatever you are doing and go buy a wetsuit immediately.

2010-02-15 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
I'm as guilty as the next guy when it comes to obsessing about gear and doing tons of research on what I want to buy, but that's where it stops for me...  I simply don't have the $$, so while I love reading about all the cool stuff and dreaming about what I WOULD buy if I could, I continue on happily on my crappy gear.

Personally, I find that the more I actually swim/bike/run, the less I obsess over gear.  It's the days I'm stuck at home in front of the computer that I really start to feel like I NEED MORE STUFF!  In the middle of a high volume week (well, high volume for me...), I'm more focussed on sleeping.
2010-02-15 4:11 PM
in reply to: #2673958

User image

York, PA
norcal_SAHD - 2010-02-15 3:23 PM

It's the days I'm stuck at home in front of the computer that I really start to feel like I NEED MORE STUFF! 

Oh God... it's currently snowing and I'm stuck inside in front of the computer...  I better give the wifey the bank card!!!  Tongue out

Edited by JDW 2010-02-15 4:12 PM

2010-02-15 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2674129

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
JDW - 2010-02-15 4:11 PM
norcal_SAHD - 2010-02-15 3:23 PM

It's the days I'm stuck at home in front of the computer that I really start to feel like I NEED MORE STUFF! 

Oh God... it's currently snowing and I'm stuck inside in front of the computer...  I better give the wifey the bank card!!!  Tongue out

... And this is how you would SAVE money?   In my house this would be a bad idea ...lol Wink
2010-02-15 7:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
I know...I think the computer is my problem.  I need to prohibit myself to getting on here at night.

I got micro-premie twins and maybe sleep 4.5 hours(not because of the twins, but that's my normal sleep schedule), so while I am waiting to feed them late at night to give WIfey a break I hop on and see "shiny stuff" and get it.  Do I need all of it?  Nope, but oh well...I just can't stop...Ha.

I paid over 4,500 for my Cervelo, but the wife was SUPER excited when I said I was getting her a 350.00(she thinks THAT'S a lot for a bike) bike to hook up and tow the kids around the neighborhood.

I took her to get fitted for a pair of good running shoes(she never had a "real" pair), but it was really just for me to go to the store and buy more stuff for myself.

I got my KK Rock N Roll Trainer and wanted to do some BRICK training at the house and bought a treadmill.  I said "Hey Babe...if I bought YOU(ha ha) a treadmill, would you use it???"  Again, she was overly excited.  I'm thinking to myself..."Man, this is easy.  I'm not even getting any resistence from her".

I think I need her to put me on purchase punishment. 

Seriously though.  I got what I need (and more), but it is fun getting all the stuff.  I just got a kick out of myself the other day and had to laugh at myself.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How Do You Stop (Still Haven't Raced Yet) Rss Feed