Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Why do guys always have to buy the gifts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-02-22 4:07 PM
in reply to: #2686760

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Why do guys always have to buy the gifts?

OK no offense BFD, I don't know you or your lifestyle or family, but these things you're pointing out aren't what I'd consider `doing something nice.' I would say cooking dinner and spending time with her and your daughter are things that you should be doing anyway. Again, no offense, and if that's your idea and your wife's idea of doing something nice, then it sounds like it works.

As an aside, I used to buy my wife gifts for Valentines Day, her birthday, our anniversary and of course Christmas. But I also cooked dinner oftentimes, made breakfast nearly every weekend day, got up with the dogs in the morning and cleaned the house a lot (mostly because she was a stacker -- she'd stack everything up in piles and let them sit forever). I didn't consider those things as favors to her, they were just part of teh daily routine. Anyway I'm now divorced, so take whatever I say at face value.

I gotta agree with Tony, I do not clean the house or take the kids out as a gift for the wife. I do that because I want too. I also do stuff around the house because its my house too! I make a mess, I clean up a mess. I see a mess, I usually clean up that mess, it's not done in order to get sex, it's just done.

Just my opinion from a 13 year married dude!

2010-02-22 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2686762

User image

Champion
Chicago
Bigfuzzydoug - 2010-02-22 3:58 PM

mr2tony - 2010-02-22 4:43 PM Cooking dinner is not `buying' a gift. That's doing something nice. But by saying that you cooked dinner, you're implying that she is the one who is usually required to cook dinner, which takes us back to traditional gender roles with the woman in the kitchen and the man not in the kitchen.

Actually...  Don't get me started on this!  I CAN'T STAND being a 50's style husband!  I leave the house for the gym at 5:30 and then get to work at 7:45.  I usually don't get home until about 6:30pm.  By then Amy is responsible for dinner for herself and the kids.  I'm on my own for dinner.  But I'm the better cook and the whole family loves it when I can find the time to make dinner for everyone during the week.

I really don't like that I only get to see my kids for about 90 minutes a day during the week.  And yeah, we've fallen into those annoying traditional gender roles.

My intention was to simply say that buying gift = doing something nice = effort to make her happy.

Word.
2010-02-22 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2686502

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
You're also assuming that gifts are not purchased for him.  A good many of us pick up things that we think our SO will like (guy or girl).  Mine are silly like peanut brittle - I know he loves it so when I see it I buy it for him.

And for the record, I got major points for getting him a PS3 for his birthday.

2010-02-22 4:13 PM
in reply to: #2686763

User image

Champion
Chicago
meherczeg - 2010-02-22 3:58 PM

mr2tony - 2010-02-22 4:57 PM
Bigfuzzydoug - 2010-02-22 3:49 PM
maggyruth - 2010-02-22 4:12 PM
Bigfuzzydoug - 2010-02-22 3:00 PM Such "He-Man Woman-Haters Club" responses in this thread!  Tongue out

Really?  Of course, at this point I'm just going to assume that you didn't read my posts.  It's ok...I don't need quality time from you...*sniff, sniff*

I'm confused.  The sarcasm...  I think I know why.  I probably meant to post that line in the "he's a keeper" thread.  I might have been posting to both at the same time and goofed.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I don't shower my wife with material gifts... can't afford to, nor would she want it.  It's the little things that count; a Katz's pastrami on rye sandwhich here, a coupe of loads of laundry there, the surprise babysitter and date-night, the daddysitter and mommies night out, etc, that mean the most.  And as for quality time, that's all my family ever does!  Too much in fact.  That's the reason I'm BIGfuzzydoug and not FAST-SKINNYfuzzydoug.  Sacrifice too much training time for family quality time.

Perfect example:  Yesterday it was 72 and sunny here.  First time all year.  A perfect day for a long 50-mile training ride.  Buuuuuuuuut instead, I did a 6-mile ride with Gracie on her bike and Kyle on his scooter (who would take breaks to ride in the bike trailer.)  Kid still managed about 5 miles on a Razr though!  Awesome!  Hardly a workout especially with a long break at the farm to see the animals, but whaddyagonnado?  It's quality time.

Laughing

OK no offense BFD, I don't know you or your lifestyle or family, but these things you're pointing out aren't what I'd consider `doing something nice.' I would say cooking dinner and spending time with her and your daughter are things that you should be doing anyway. Again, no offense, and if that's your idea and your wife's idea of doing something nice, then it sounds like it works. As an aside, I used to buy my wife gifts for Valentines Day, her birthday, our anniversary and of course Christmas. But I also cooked dinner oftentimes, made breakfast nearly every weekend day, got up with the dogs in the morning and cleaned the house a lot (mostly because she was a stacker -- she'd stack everything up in piles and let them sit forever). I didn't consider those things as favors to her, they were just part of teh daily routine. Anyway I'm now divorced, so take whatever I say at face value.

goggs, who knew you weren't an altogether bad guy?

Yeah Meh, you're not such a bad guy yourself!

Edited by mr2tony 2010-02-22 4:15 PM
2010-02-22 4:13 PM
in reply to: #2686809

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
mr2tony - 2010-02-22 5:13 PM
Bigfuzzydoug - 2010-02-22 3:00 PM Such "He-Man Woman-Haters Club" responses in this thread!  Tongue out

Really?  Of course, at this point I'm just going to assume that you didn't read my posts.  It's ok...I don't need quality time from you...*sniff, sniff*

I'm confused.  The sarcasm...  I think I know why.  I probably meant to post that line in the "he's a keeper" thread.  I might have been posting to both at the same time and goofed.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I don't shower my wife with material gifts... can't afford to, nor would she want it.  It's the little things that count; a Katz's pastrami on rye sandwhich here, a coupe of loads of laundry there, the surprise babysitter and date-night, the daddysitter and mommies night out, etc, that mean the most.  And as for quality time, that's all my family ever does!  Too much in fact.  That's the reason I'm BIGfuzzydoug and not FAST-SKINNYfuzzydoug.  Sacrifice too much training time for family quality time.

Perfect example:  Yesterday it was 72 and sunny here.  First time all year.  A perfect day for a long 50-mile training ride.  Buuuuuuuuut instead, I did a 6-mile ride with Gracie on her bike and Kyle on his scooter (who would take breaks to ride in the bike trailer.)  Kid still managed about 5 miles on a Razr though!  Awesome!  Hardly a workout especially with a long break at the farm to see the animals, but whaddyagonnado?  It's quality time.

Laughing

OK no offense BFD, I don't know you or your lifestyle or family, but these things you're pointing out aren't what I'd consider `doing something nice.' I would say cooking dinner and spending time with her and your daughter are things that you should be doing anyway. Again, no offense, and if that's your idea and your wife's idea of doing something nice, then it sounds like it works. As an aside, I used to buy my wife gifts for Valentines Day, her birthday, our anniversary and of course Christmas. But I also cooked dinner oftentimes, made breakfast nearly every weekend day, got up with the dogs in the morning and cleaned the house a lot (mostly because she was a stacker -- she'd stack everything up in piles and let them sit forever). I didn't consider those things as favors to her, they were just part of teh daily routine. Anyway I'm now divorced, so take whatever I say at face value.

will you be my valentine ?
2010-02-22 4:15 PM
in reply to: #2686812

User image

Champion
Chicago
meherczeg - 2010-02-22 4:13 PM

Laughing

Yes. Yes I will.

2010-02-22 4:15 PM
in reply to: #2686812

User image

Champion
SoCal
meherczeg - 2010-02-22 2:13 PM

Laughing

He does have a little gift for you
2010-02-22 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2686822

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Big Appa - 2010-02-22 5:15 PM

Laughing

VERY VERY little.  i know.

TA TA TA TOOTSIE ROLL
2010-02-22 4:27 PM
in reply to: #2686505

User image

New user

Vista, CA
Sprint_DA - 2010-02-22 2:38 PM I hope that this chair I've found in the corner is a safe place to watch from.

Laughing
2010-02-22 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2686823

User image

Champion
Chicago
meherczeg - 2010-02-22 4:16 PM

Big Appa - 2010-02-22 5:15 PM

Laughing

VERY VERY little.  i know.

TA TA TA TOOTSIE ROLL

You know you can't resist it. You flew all the way back to Washington to see it.

Thankfully I escaped in time.
2010-02-22 4:37 PM
in reply to: #2686502

User image

Pro
Houston

There isn't a single holiday that my husband gives me a gift for that he doesn't also get a gift.

If you give and don't get, you need to talk with her about that.

It's all about the love languages - some people need gifts to feel loved.  Thank goodness for both of us that isn't really an issue - we are both physical touch people Laughing

2010-02-22 4:40 PM
in reply to: #2686743

User image

Pro
Without house

I was just kinda poking fun because you said "He-man Woman Hater's club"...and I'm a woman.  A womanly woman at that.  That's all.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Why do guys always have to buy the gifts? Rss Feed  

of 2